Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 267

Thread: Liverpool FC: Still A Work-in-progress

  1. #31  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    For the keepers, add Grabara. He will be better than our current two rolled into one, in a couple of years.
    loyal since 1960.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    davevietnam is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,984
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    We need a centre forward
    Thing is we do have a decent CF in Danny, problem is he has been very poor lately and just not up to the job, how much of that is down to Klopp and the way he has been used I honestly dont know, it may just be with all the injuries time has caught up with him. For me though he has to go in the summer, I mean no matter what anyone thinks positive negative or whatever about Danny if Klopp is not prepared or going to use him there is little point in him being here.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    liverpool19734 is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    10,852
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    For the keepers, add Grabara. He will be better than our current two rolled into one, in a couple of years.
    I have high hopes for Karius and Migs can do a job, it shouldn't be our priority.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    25,340
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    For the keepers, add Grabara. He will be better than our current two rolled into one, in a couple of years.
    I must admit every time I watch the boy he impresses me, he has all the attributes to be a top class keeper.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    yeah in your starting 11

    karius
    clyne new cb matip new left back
    new dm/playmaker
    wijnauldum lallana
    mane firmino phil

    then you need two wingers closer in quality to phil and mane and then we d be getting closer to what is required

    i see at least 6 major signings needed this summer....and major signings cost 20-40 million each depending on various factors.,,,,,,

    new left back 20 m
    new centre back 20-30 m
    new dm playmaker 30 m
    relacement for sturridge maybe 20 if a young one or 40-50 if first team ready

    2 new wide men 20 m each

    thats a lot of money we re gonna have to spend in summer just to bring us up to scratch

    thats three first 11 defensive player and 3 very strong attacking options to replace phil bobby and mane should injuries arise....

    and even strong attacking bench options wont come cheap....
    I think most people would agree with this, basically upgrades on Sakho, Lucas, Moreno and Sturridge/Origi then a few more attacking options as I'm not convinced that any of our younger lads are ready yet. With 6 needed I really done understand why we didn't get at least 2 in Jan so not too much upheaval in the summer. We made a profit last summer in transfer, a small one this Jan so I would expect the owners to give a minimum of 30m each summer making 80m plus sales to spend, get a few bargains like Matip and I don't see why 6 players of good enough quality is not achievable, maybe chuck Joe Hart for in Mignolet which financially would probably balance out fairly evenly.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    liverpool19734 is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    10,852
    He has been here about 18 months and has done a fantastic job so far. The first season he was here was really to test out who in the squad was up to scratch and creating the core of his team while showing what we are capable at our best.

    This season while we have had a poor month has been very successful, the signings have been good, the way we play at times has been brilliant and he has put the first steps in actually fixing our youth system. He likes to build from within and if we had a buy happy manager someone like Lallana would have been replaced.

    Still work to be done but Klopp is here for the long haul and if the players he wants werent available in January'which he said, we shouldn't panic buy. Can't wait to see how good we will be in a years time.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    davevietnam is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,984
    I do agree with most posts that we need a new LB but that has everything to do with Moreno and not Milner, in fact with the money we are likely to spend I doubt a new LB we buy will be good enough to shift Milner who has easily been one of our top performing players this season, for me the priority is now cover for LB as Milner has found his true position for LFC.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,047
    Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    I do agree with most posts that we need a new LB but that has everything to do with Moreno and not Milner, in fact with the money we are likely to spend I doubt a new LB we buy will be good enough to shift Milner who has easily been one of our top performing players this season, for me the priority is now cover for LB as Milner has found his true position for LFC.
    Agreed, It puzzles me to see posters wanting Milner out.

    OCD maybe ?

    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    34,745
    Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    For the keepers, add Grabara. He will be better than our current two rolled into one, in a couple of years.
    His talent could be huge. How will he come through? Who was the last top Premier League club to bring through a goalkeeper from youth? Managers just don't risk young keepers at top clubs. How is he going to continue to develop from now until he's 23?

    It's unfortunate but I'd be shocked if we brought through a goalkeeper through youth to first team
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,047
    Some people can only see black and white.

    We all want to win right away, but its not going to happen so we have to accept getting better slowly but surely.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26,840
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Some people can only see black and white.

    We all want to win right away, but its not going to happen so we have to accept getting better slowly but surely.
    Indeed

    Some fans also understandably find it hard to separate and isolate what has been before

    So for Klopp, it was always rebuilding, for some fans, rebuilding is just another excuse for failure or some such short cut thinking.

    Sadly it rarely works that way unless you have a strong seamless squad inherited with mere fine tuning required
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,128
    Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    Thing is we do have a decent CF in Danny, problem is he has been very poor lately and just not up to the job, how much of that is down to Klopp and the way he has been used I honestly dont know, it may just be with all the injuries time has caught up with him. For me though he has to go in the summer, I mean no matter what anyone thinks positive negative or whatever about Danny if Klopp is not prepared or going to use him there is little point in him being here.
    I agree he has to go, for his own sake as much as anything else.

    By centre forward though, I meant a focal point to the attack, which Sturridge isn't.
    I know people will laugh and say what about Carroll or Benteke, but we do so much passing the ball from side to side sometimes, it gets my goat
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    liverpool19734 is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    10,852
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    I agree he has to go, for his own sake as much as anything else.

    By centre forward though, I meant a focal point to the attack, which Sturridge isn't.
    I know people will laugh and say what about Carroll or Benteke, but we do so much passing the ball from side to side sometimes, it gets my goat
    I would like to see a target man come in, Klopp had them at Dortmund so i wouldn't be surprised to see one come in.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    25,340
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    I agree he has to go, for his own sake as much as anything else.

    By centre forward though, I meant a focal point to the attack, which Sturridge isn't.
    I know people will laugh and say what about Carroll or Benteke, but we do so much passing the ball from side to side sometimes, it gets my goat
    I totally understand what you are saying, but it's all about learning how to keep the ball at the moment and hopefully there is another stage where we concentrate on adding penetration to what we are doing now, let's not forget how long Klopp has actually been here, players are learning whilst he is building.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    27,947
    Sturridge is plan B all day long under Klopp
    He is the option off the bench
    He has no fight, he has no run, he has no intensity
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,573
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Indeed

    Some fans also understandably find it hard to separate and isolate what has been before

    So for Klopp, it was always rebuilding, for some fans, rebuilding is just another excuse for failure or some such short cut thinking.

    Sadly it rarely works that way unless you have a strong seamless squad inherited with mere fine tuning required
    Absolutely right.

    No manager is perfect and there is no 'magic man' out there that can make all our problems suddenly disappear. The past is in the past and you can only move forwards. Finally it feels like we have a manager that we can put our trust in and who will do the right thing by us, whether we necessarily understand the thought processes at the time or not.

    Nobody is above criticism but we are in good hands.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,708
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    All progress curves should be upwards, but how it keeps going upwards without reaching the top is the real question............... Or maybe it's just we keep schtum about the downward spirals come plummets.
    Progress does not equate with improvement. And its line of track as time passes can be up, level or down.... and we've experienced all three.

    The plummeting seems reserved for poor wee Leicester this season!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    11,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Sturridge is plan B all day long under Klopp
    He is the option off the bench
    He has no fight, he has no run, he has no intensity
    I'd say Origi is the 'Plan B' tbh, seems to be preferred to Sturridge now.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,128
    Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    I would like to see a target man come in, Klopp had them at Dortmund so i wouldn't be surprised to see one come in.
    Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    I totally understand what you are saying, but it's all about learning how to keep the ball at the moment and hopefully there is another stage where we concentrate on adding penetration to what we are doing now, let's not forget how long Klopp has actually been here, players are learning whilst he is building.
    I remain totally committed to the Klopp management, though the speed of progression is slow and frustrating.

    Surely Klopp can see the problems, so he's either waiting for exactly the right players, or he hasn't got the money to buy them, or perhaps he feels a top four finish is within grasp, and then he can attract the players he wants. Who knows, but some of our situations, like goalkeeper, are baffling.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    liverpool19734 is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    10,852
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    I remain totally committed to the Klopp management, though the speed of progression is slow and frustrating.

    Surely Klopp can see the problems, so he's either waiting for exactly the right players, or he hasn't got the money to buy them, or perhaps he feels a top four finish is within grasp, and then he can attract the players he wants. Who knows, but some of our situations, like goalkeeper, are baffling.
    Speed of progression slow? It happened so quickly he raised the expectation considerably.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    34,745
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    I remain totally committed to the Klopp management, though the speed of progression is slow and frustrating.

    Surely Klopp can see the problems, so he's either waiting for exactly the right players, or he hasn't got the money to buy them, or perhaps he feels a top four finish is within grasp, and then he can attract the players he wants. Who knows, but some of our situations, like goalkeeper, are baffling.
    I don't think goalkeeping position is baffling. Mignolet was decent, many felt not good enough, too many mistakes so Klopp brought in Karius who after a poor start has lost his place to Mignolet.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    yeah in your starting 11

    karius
    clyne new cb matip new left back
    new dm/playmaker
    wijnauldum lallana
    mane firmino phil

    then you need two wingers closer in quality to phil and mane and then we d be getting closer to what is required

    i see at least 6 major signings needed this summer....and major signings cost 20-40 million each depending on various factors.,,,,,,

    new left back 20 m
    new centre back 20-30 m
    new dm playmaker 30 m
    relacement for sturridge maybe 20 if a young one or 40-50 if first team ready

    2 new wide men 20 m each

    thats a lot of money we re gonna have to spend in summer just to bring us up to scratch

    thats three first 11 defensive player and 3 very strong attacking options to replace phil bobby and mane should injuries arise....

    and even strong attacking bench options wont come cheap....
    I don't think it needs to be 6. 4, maybe 5 would be more than enough - if they were right.

    We do have some quality young players - the problem is that we've come unstuck when we've been having to try to rely on them to cover injuries/tiredness en masse. Having a squad of 18-19 good players and quality youngsters is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    All progress curves should be upwards, but how it keeps going upwards without reaching the top is the real question............... Or maybe it's just we keep schtum about the downward spirals come plummets.
    It doesn't. We've had plenty of downs. I don't feel like we've ever gone to such an extreme to kicking the deadwood out, though. There have always been 5-6 players in the squad who would struggle to play for mid-table and relegation batting teams, week-in, week-out.

    I don't think there are too many of the senior players that I see here come next season that we can say that about.

    Ifs, buts and speculation, but I get the feeling that we are on an upward trajectory.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,712
    Sell sturridge and throw the kitchen sink at getting at the dortmund striker cant spell his name hed ideally suited to klopp tactics would be clubs record signing
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    10
    we realy need to get Domenico Berardi
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    11,415
    Quote Originally Posted by prayerforliverpool View Post
    Sell sturridge and throw the kitchen sink at getting at the dortmund striker cant spell his name hed ideally suited to klopp tactics would be clubs record signing
    No way we could afford him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,128
    Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    Speed of progression slow? It happened so quickly he raised the expectation considerably.
    Not in my view since much of the progression has turned out to be temporary.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    I don't think goalkeeping position is baffling. Mignolet was decent, many felt not good enough, too many mistakes so Klopp brought in Karius who after a poor start has lost his place to Mignolet.
    Stating the facts does not put up any argument against them facts being baffling.

    Klopp has been here over a year and we have two goalkeepers who are nowhere near good enough.
    Given that goalie is such a key position, that IS baffling
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #58  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,047
    Many fans were / are getting carried away because we went on such an awesome run, punching above our weight at the start of the season.

    I feel a bit for Klopp, he gave us a glimpse of what is possible and its a clear case of damned if you do, damned if you dont.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #59  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,712
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    No way we could afford him.
    Would be at least 60 million hed have big wages also so hopefully if we had a chance because of klopp we should defo buy him
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #60  
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,257
    Quote Originally Posted by prayerforliverpool View Post
    Would be at least 60 million hed have big wages also so hopefully if we had a chance because of klopp we should defo buy him
    I believe his boyhood dream is to play for Real. He's the quality of striker that would realistically only go to the perceived Elite clubs of the modern game.

    I'll take a punt, and say he'll be at Real, Barcelona, Bayern, City, Chelsea, or United. I would be shocked, should he be plying his trade elsewhere when he makes his move.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •