Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Gini Wijnaldum - deserves better recognition than what he gets.

1. #1 Default Gini Wijnaldum - deserves better recognition than what he gets. 
    Another big game and another fine performance by Gini in a big game. The Echo gave him an 8 with the man of match tag and he deserved it. I note that he has had some fine games in the big matches, including at Stamford Bridge, against Everton and finally against Manchester City. Yet some of the vitriol I have read against him on this board has been staggering. I'm the first to admit that he has been quiet in some games but people forget that under Klopp he is predominantly playing a role he has rarely played. It will take a full season for him to completely find his feet. However, I can see him being a critical player in this team in 18 months time and in all fairness has had a solid start to his Liverpool career. I don't know why he generates so much discussion and rancour - even Fowi dislikes him - but I for one feel he deserves much better treatment. A midfield of him, Hendo and Lallana still our best going forward.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Very undervalued player!

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    I think the goal is what got him an 8.

He wasnt even better than Hendo, in general.

I thought he was poor apart from his goal, tbh.

Too often a passenger in games.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    He's got to get himself on the scoresheet more often. Not a fan of him as a CM otherwise.

I think he's a cute player. What I like about him, is that he's a forward thinking player, unlike the "captain". What's frustrating is we shouldn't of brought him. Now don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, but we brought the wrong player to fill a hole which didn't need to be filled. I'd have liked to see Coutinho and Lallana as our midfielders, with somebody behind them. Unfortunately, Henderson is here for the long term and we're going to have to get used to his crab-ways. I'm speaking about the long run, not whether he did or didn't do in this game.

Keegan7Suarez is offline Has the low down from down under
    Regardless of the goal, what I have seen from him in the last 8 games in particular, is that Gini is not a very good footballer.

He's atheltic - sure. Movement off the ball - fantastic. Pressing and awareness - very good.
    He cannot be faulted on these three qualities.

However,

His general passing is terrible and can never go forward with a ball. I have not seen any composure from him in 8 weeks and any sort of positive play to suggest he can pick the ball in midfield and pass it forward into space. He plays too slow and stifles the midfield.

He gets no credit from me. Combined with Henderson and Can, just constitutes a very, very average midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Klopphopper View Post
    Another big game and another fine performance by Gini in a big game. The Echo gave him an 8 with the man of match tag and he deserved it. I note that he has had some fine games in the big matches, including at Stamford Bridge, against Everton and finally against Manchester City. Yet some of the vitriol I have read against him on this board has been staggering. I'm the first to admit that he has been quiet in some games but people forget that under Klopp he is predominantly playing a role he has rarely played. It will take a full season for him to completely find his feet. However, I can see him being a critical player in this team in 18 months time and in all fairness has had a solid start to his Liverpool career. I don't know why he generates so much discussion and rancour - even Fowi dislikes him - but I for one feel he deserves much better treatment. A midfield of him, Hendo and Lallana still our best going forward.
    Where was he against Wolves? over the past few weeks he's been as bad as Can, but for some reason he's escaped criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscouse View Post
    Where was he against Wolves? over the past few weeks he's been as bad as Can, but for some reason he's escaped criticism.
    I like Can and Wijnaldum - but I feel that Wijnaldum is not yet as fit as Klopp would like - the improvement in his fitness has been noticeable but he can improve more and then we will see what he is truly capable of I think.

Can is fit and will develop tactically under the guidance of Klopp and his Coaches.

It is prudent to appreciate how young all of the players are and how little time they have spent with Klopp.

I found it pertinent that Klopp said it is important that the club keep it's nerve - very true. Another poster on here compared Klopp to Shankly and I see the comparison - we just need to believe as Klopp and Shanks did and we will rise again.

YNWA.

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan7Suarez View Post
    Regardless of the goal, what I have seen from him in the last 8 games in particular, is that Gini is not a very good footballer.

He's atheltic - sure. Movement off the ball - fantastic. Pressing and awareness - very good.
    He cannot be faulted on these three qualities.

However,

His general passing is terrible and can never go forward with a ball. I have not seen any composure from him in 8 weeks and any sort of positive play to suggest he can pick the ball in midfield and pass it forward into space. He plays too slow and stifles the midfield.

He gets no credit from me. Combined with Henderson and Can, just constitutes a very, very average midfield.
    I agree with this assessment. Although I wouldn't go quite as far as calling his passing terrible. It's just a bit meh.

Wijnaldum has a lot more in his locker than he's showing, i think he is quite composed but at times i feel he plays the simple pass too often and needs to stretch the play instead of playing a 5 yard pass

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    Wijnaldum has a lot more in his locker than he's showing, i think he is quite composed but at times i feel he plays the simple pass too often and needs to stretch the play instead of playing a 5 yard pass
    I agree with this. Needs to play a more expansive game. Far too conservative at the moment.

KeepTheFightForJustice is offline Academy prospect
    He's been pretty poor recently, but was very good last night. Took his goal well. Overall I'm pretty pleased with how he's doing. Can be improved upon.

Also think that he's better alongside Lallana.

He needs to turn it on against crap teams, the ones that make up 60% of the league. But he's not the only one.

Is he going to turn up against Hull? Are the team going to turn up against Hull? I'm not so sure.

Snippes is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie90210 View Post
    He needs to turn it on against crap teams, the ones that make up 60% of the league. But he's not the only one.

Is he going to turn up against Hull? Are the team going to turn up against Hull? I'm not so sure.
    That's the problem with Gini. He's very good in the big tight games vs the top teams because that energy and recycling and keeping it simple but moving, works for those games especially when he can come up with the rare goal like he did against Chelsea and City.

Unfortunately, his game doesn't translate quite as well against those other weaker teams you referenced who completely sit back and park the bus completely. His inability to dribble or go past defenders or make half chances to shoot accurately count consistently, makes him less effective in those games. Especially when he is partnered with midfielders who are also limited in their game.

There are games for Gini and there are partnerships for Gini. And then there are games and partnerships that just don't work for him. As long as you use him the right way in the right instances, he is a valuable rotation player to have on the team. Should be too given how much we paid to get him.

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    We only praise other teams players.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    His goal was crucial but he needs to be doing that a lot more.
    ?

He's really strong and can recycle the ball but he doesn't do enough for me. I'd like to see him dictating the play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    I thought he was poor apart from his goal, tbh.

Too often a passenger in games.
    He was very poor last night. Unaware at times and seemed to be lacking some confidence. Didn't help, I'm sure, some of the crowd getting on his every backward pass. His goal, vital as it was, puts some icing on a pretty bland cake.

I like him a lot.

Can see he's nowhere near his best, but will be a big player for us next season I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post
    I like him a lot.

Can see he's nowhere near his best, but will be a big player for us next season I'm sure.
    Ditto

I think some of what he does when playing well is entirely overlooked on occasion

he scored a good goal but I dont' think he was that great otherwise, no for the amount of possession he was allowed.
    Has scored goals in important games but overall it has been a disappointing season so far. I don't think he brings anything to the table in midfield.

He's had a handful of very good games especially in, as you say, games against better teams. In other games he has been average, but I like him as a player and am happy he is part of our squad.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Considering he does nothing else he has to get double figure goals to stay in the team.

His first good game in over a month and he "deserves better recognition than what he gets on this board"

He's not a terrible player, and his work-rate is particularly impressive, almost box to box at times (not often). However, his recent form as been a big contributing factor to our lack of goals. It's a constant thing but, the easiest example, is when passing the ball to Clyne when he makes runs down the right. Clyne has to stop and collect the ball every single time. Our recent success has been built on quick flowing attacks. Gini is doing the opposite at present.

Dont forget he's getting judged by people who got picked last in school

Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    What sort of irrelevant post is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post

In all seriousness, he's been ok, those who say he offers literally nothing are of course talking absolute ****, its simply not possible and the living evidence is he can offer us control in games and is scoring the odd goal.

He needs to do more of course, without doubt, but in the all or nothing hipsters world this equals 'he offers nothing.'

Given time, he'll offer more I'm sure and is here for the longer haul it would seem

Quote Originally Posted by DahoudAreYou View Post
    What sort of irrelevant post is that?
    Perhaps you should lighten up, seemed a tongue in cheek joke