Notices
Closed Thread
Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1275

Thread: Simon Mignolet Take 3

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Sounds like he'll be between the sticks next season so he'll likely get the opportunity to show he can maintain this form.

Based on what we're seeing right now i think thats fair enough - he's doing pretty well.

Being honest do i fear he'll drop back down to previous standards? Yes, absolutely and i'd be tempted to look for a better option if there are any about.

Harsh I know, but i can't shake that worry
    That's the thing, there's no confidence in him at all. He's had good spells before, but always seems to slip back into his usual error-ridden ways. He's playing well at the minute, but I'd still like to see him replaced.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Funny how there's not much talk if any of him being reportedly linked with some big money swoop, perhaps it is only (some/most) fans who are swayed into believing he's mr fantastic at the moment. Maybe it needs a neutral's perspective, I was quite bemused to see 8s out of 10 on another forum rating his performances although in fairness there were few LFC players getting less than 7 (so you might think we were champions or summat)
    Is it? Is anyone suggesting he's better than the keepers at any of the few clubs that could swoop for one of our players?

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    They were top saves, poor finishes or not. De Gea makes them and everyone bangs on about how good he is and how we need a 'keeper like that.

Now, I'm not saying I'm sold on Mignolet, because I'm far from it, but he's been very good lately and still doesn't seem to get much credit. He's been a solid, dependable 'keeper making big saves at just the right time of the season. Do I want us to go into next season with him as number 1? Certainly not, but you have to give him credit for the turnaround in form the last few months.
    I'm not sold on Mignolet myself, I think a fair few in this thread are misunderstanding what I'm getting at. I just think he deserves huge credit for his recent form and I think Jurgen has bigger issues to address this summer.

In an ideal world we'd all love a new goalkeeper but we also need to prioritise what we really need. Not to mention the lack of top drawer keepers out there.

We're definitely not signing a new keeper this summer.

We signed one last summer in Karius, going to be interesting to see whether Klopp sticks with Mignolet to start next season, or go with Karius and see how he gets on.

Quote Originally Posted by -Faizan- View Post
    We're definitely not signing a new keeper this summer.

We signed one last summer in Karius, going to be interesting to see whether Klopp sticks with Mignolet to start next season, or go with Karius and see how he gets on.
    Mignolet will start next season you can be certain of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DFK6 View Post
    I'm not sold on Mignolet myself, I think a fair few in this thread are misunderstanding what I'm getting at. I just think he deserves huge credit for his recent form and I think Jurgen has bigger issues to address this summer.

In an ideal world we'd all love a new goalkeeper but we also need to prioritise what we really need. Not to mention the lack of top drawer keepers out there.
    Spot on ...and if we add quality in front of him this may save on some of his usual ....you know what I mean

Hmm, I'm not 100% convinced he will, if Karius doesn't pick up a knock in pre season like last summer, then I think he's got a very good shot at starting as our #1 next season.

Quote Originally Posted by -Faizan- View Post
    Hmm, I'm not 100% convinced he will, if Karius doesn't pick up a knock in pre season like last summer, then I think he's got a very good shot at starting as our #1 next season.
    Why would Klopp drop Mignolet for the start of next season considering his recent form? There's not a chance that will happen.

Why would Klopp drop Mignolet for the start of next season considering his recent form? There's not a chance that will happen.
    Although you have to give credit where it's due, Mignolet's recent form has been solid, I also feel that our team has looked a bit more settled in front of him recently, so that has contributed to his recent form as well. I still have doubts regarding him whether he's our long term solution to our GK position, you look at the whole of his time here with us, the negatives just outweigh the positives for me, and because of that I wouldn't risk it even with his recent form.

I personally think Klopp still has faith in Karius and providing he doesn't pick up a knock in pre season, then starting him next season will be the right time to see if he really can cut it here with us.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    No you can't.

If I'm being honest, I'd rather Karius start, Ward as back up and we sell Migs now while his value is high.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    No you can't.

If I'm being honest, I'd rather Karius start, Ward as back up and we sell Migs now while his value is high.
    Why would anybody rather Karius start considering Mignolets form over the past number of months and based on what we've seen of Karius so far. That's a stupid statement. And I am sure Mignolet will start next season, 100% certain unless he's injured.

Makes me laugh we've a keeper playing really well and some want him dropped for a keeper they've seen very little of and what they have seen has been in the main poor.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    No you can't.

I'd be surprised if Migs got taken out of the equation unless his form dips. Klopp did that this season - decided that he wanted Karius as number 1 and Migs would have to sit and watch. Didn't work out well and he had to recall Migs who's been good ever since - better than before and better than karius had been.

It'd be a bold statement to then dump Migs again.

If Migs has a blunder or two, or a bad patch of form THEN the change happens. IMO at least

Who else is a De Gea though? And I don't see anything sad about giving one of our players some credit.
    Crefit for doing a job he should have been doing over the last four years, what he is doing now is just the basics nothing special, it might seem special to some because he was so poor before, is my point.

I'd be surprised if Migs got taken out of the equation unless his form dips. Klopp did that this season - decided that he wanted Karius as number 1 and Migs would have to sit and watch. Didn't work out well and he had to recall Migs who's been good ever since - better than before and better than karius had been.

If Migs has a blunder or two, or a bad patch of form THEN the change happens. IMO at least
    It's becoming quite fashionable to have one keeper in the league and the other playing all cup games. Wouldn't be a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    It's becoming quite fashionable to have one keeper in the league and the other playing all cup games. Wouldn't be a surprise.
    I'd expect that how it'll be - Migs league and Karius Cups (champs league might be different though)

But if you were to put a Np1 and 2 label on it - i think it currently sits with Migs, but subject to change

Why would anybody rather Karius start considering Mignolets form over the past number of months and based on what we've seen of Karius so far. That's a stupid statement. And I am sure Mignolet will start next season, 100% certain unless he's injured.

Makes me laugh we've a keeper playing really well and some want him dropped for a keeper they've seen very little of and what they have seen has been in the main poor.

Have you not seen Migs the last 3 plus years here? Or have you just started watching us around Christmas?

And you have no idea how much of Karius I've seen. I follow him on twitter.

I'm not ruling anything out. I just know that based on form, Migs is doing great. Based on previous history, I do not want him as our #1.

While I don't rate Karius at all on what I've seen so far, I think it's clear Mignolet is finished here so we may aswel put Karius in for the rest of the season and see what happens.
    It seems you want Migs gone, but a run of a few good games has changed your mind. Hmmmmmm

I'm not ruling anything out. I just know that based on form, Migs is doing great. Based on previous history, I do not want him as our #1.
    Yea i can see that. As ive said, i constantly feel like there's a slip up just around the corner. If i was Karius I wouldn't feel like is was never going to get another shot

Yea i can see that. As ive said, i constantly feel like there's a slip up just around the corner. If i was Karius I wouldn't feel like is was never going to get another shot
    Karius is still 22/23, and that is very young for a keeper. A full year in England and 1/4 of a season starting the PL will do him wonders. I bet we'll see him start all summer in the friendlies, and depending on what he does, could be the #1 come August.

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Karius is still 22/23, and that is very young for a keeper. A full year in England and 1/4 of a season starting the PL will do him wonders. I bet we'll see him start all summer in the friendlies, and depending on what he does, could be the #1 come August.
    24 next month

It seems you want Migs gone, but a run of a few good games has changed your mind. Hmmmmmm
    Have you not read through the thread? I've said I've criticised Mignolet as much as anyone but I've no problem admitting he's playing really well the past few months. That's the problem on here some just don't like certain players and will never change their opinions on them as that would mean admitting they were wrong on the internet. It's laughable.

I'm a huge critic of Origi and Clyne also but neither of those are going anywhere this summer and I really hope I'm able to post this time next year how wrong I was about them.

We've a goalkeeper playing really well, why can't some just be happy with that fact.

Fair enough, after all a lot of judgements of Karius were based on feelings, non confidence, "shakey" I think was one word I saw a fair bit, except many seem to think TEN games is fair enough time to start ripping into a relatively young keeper when the previous incumbent had been everything of those and more............ but apparently a few games into a season in England is comparable to entering your fourth with Liverpool alone.....
    People will believe what they want to believe

Have you not read through the thread? I've said I've criticised Mignolet as much as anyone but I've no problem admitting he's playing really well the past few months. That's the problem on here some just don't like certain players and will never change their opinions on them as that would mean admitting they were wrong on the internet. It's laughable.

I'm a huge critic of Origi and Clyne also but neither of those are going anywhere this summer and I really hope I'm able to post this time next year how wrong I was about them.

We've a goalkeeper playing really well, why can't some just be happy with that fact.
    I have to agree with this. I think the upturn in form from Mignolet had been credit to him. It perhaps shows he is more mentally strong that a lot, (including me), gave him credit for.

He will always divide opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
    I have to agree with this. I think the upturn in form from Mignolet had been credit to him. It perhaps shows he is more mentally strong that a lot, (including me), gave him credit for.

He will always divide opinion though.
    I wonder how much last summers business has affected his form.

Has Karius increased competition?
    Did Migs spell on the bench take a bit of pressure off him and allowed him the time to regroup and work on certain elements?
    Has Manninger helped him in a coaching capacity?

I have a feeling it might be a bit of all 3.

Did Migs spell on the bench take a bit of pressure off him and allowed him the time to regroup and work on certain elements?

Yes I couldn't agree more. A combination of all 3 for me. I think we're fine for keepers at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Campos View Post
    I've found this video - https://twitter.com/DistanceCovered/...93415348441088

Some good saves. The Spurs and West Brom ones are fairly standard (but actually good for him because he usually runs at a weird angle when he comes out).

Obviously the penalty one was good and he did well from Ibrahimovic, although it was quite close to him - similar for the Giroud one.

Another way to look at them would be to say if you'd be disappointed if he didn't save them?

Arsenal - No. It was fairly close but a looping shot. If it went in I can't say I'd be disappointed that he didn't keep it out.

West Brom - yes. Fairly standard save from a shot that was at a difficult angle.

First Stoke one - Yes - It was point blank but straight at him and he didn't really have to do much to save it.

Second Stoke one - No - Poor finish but Mignolet does well to get across and keep it out. Good save.

Spurs - Yes - One vs one but the attacker gives himself a very poor angle.

Chelsea - No - Penalty so obviously does well.

United - Yes - Hit hard but very close to him.

So a solid 3 good saves in a full season!

On the other hand we have things like this:

https://twitter.com/LiverpoolHub_/st...56226437369856

Genuinely don't know what he's doing there. At any point.
    Only three good saves in a season....ha,ha, I think you need a new pair of glasses or even better cut the bias !. If he had only three saves to make in a full season ha must have had the best defense in the world before him. You know this isn't true !

Certainly not inconceivable that things have finally 'clicked' for Migs - usually tends to happen later with keepers than outfield players. We had James and Friedel here who never looked up to it then latterly became huge performers.

Just got to hope it's a permenant shift in mindset, confidence and approach and not just a hot streak

one of the last times we were on the brink of a trophy at Wembley he gifted city a goal , fingers crossed he does not cost us top four tomorrow.

What I find strange is the folks who are saying Migs is an excellent ( still laugh at this) keeper and should be our No1 next season cause over the last couple of months he's been a decent (that's the truth, decent) keeper as he's stepped up. These folk have written off a good young keeper who came No2 in the German league to arguably best keeper in the world who had an injury doing what he should be (commanding his area) and has had hardly any time to settle in here after. Yet they've been happy to let Migs have over 3 years here and even longer in the Prem. Amazing, truly amazing. Wonder what would have happened if Red nose didn't give de-gea a chance?