Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Mignolet Take 3

1. #1 Default Simon Mignolet Take 3 
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    A new thread to discuss Simon.

No trolling, wumming or agenda driven codswallop...

Thanks.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Was an amateur mistake last night, not good enough.

He won us a point, but lost us two !!

As per Grottons wall being prepared comment, looking again if Henderson jumps it hits him in the face. It went right over him to the point of him flinching as it went past. None of them jumped, so they either weren't ready or are the chocolate fireguard of walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernkraft400 View Post
    As per Grottons wall being prepared comment, looking again if Henderson jumps it hits him in the face. It went right over him to the point of him flinching as it went past. None of them jumped, so they either weren't ready or are the chocolate fireguard of walls.
    Again...it was a brilliant freekick.

And you can pick at what the wall or whatever did.

Bottom line...Migs was completely unaware of what was going on...in regard to the ref, the whistle...and until it flew past his face...the ball.

Saving penalties is clearly his speciality,

v Jon Walters (Stoke, 2013/14)
    v Wayne Rooney (Manchester United, 2014/15)
    v Glenn Murray (Crystal Palace, 2014/15) - though Murray tucked away the rebound, it still counts as a saved penalty
    v Sadio Mané (Southampton, 2015/16)
    v Theo Walcott (Arsenal, 2016/17)
    v Diego Costa (Chelsea, 2016/17)

He also saved two in a preseason shootout v Manchester City (2014/15), three v Middlesbrough (2014/15) and two v Stoke (2015/16).

He's bad plenty of bad moments too though (like last night's free kick, though our wall was dreadful). Negredo's goal in 2013/14, Fernandinho's goal last season, holding onto the ball for 20 seconds in a Europa League match that cost us a goal etc. Any keeper is capable of making some of his mistakes though, we've seen equally bad episodes from Reina, Dudek, James and Bogdan in the past. I think he's a better keeper for having competition from Karius, which he didn't have from Jones or Bogdan.
    Last edited by L4Sensation; 1-2-17 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post

Bottom line...Migs was completely unaware of what was going on...in regard to the ref, the whistle...and until it flew past his face...the ball.
    Was the wall ready?

Or was everyone caught off guard?

And would it have been better if he was ready and the ball still went in?

Or will we make more assumptions and say Luiz wouldn't have taken it and it woulldnt have went it and pigs fly etc. . .

My pink floyd reference for the day.

davevietnam is offline Academy prospect
    Anyone any idea what he was looking and shouting at , I mean it looked so far left of the free kick point and area of possible play, its a puzzle.

davevietnam is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by canookiewookie View Post
    And would it have been better if he was ready and the ball still went in?

Or will we make more assumptions and say Luiz wouldn't have taken it and it woulldnt have went it and pigs fly etc. . .

My pink floyd reference for the day.
    I think it has to be a help if he is paying attention, and although I am in a minority I think if he had of been he would have saved it.

Was the wall ready?

Or was everyone caught off guard?
    The wall wasn't ready. It was 10 yards away, which was good enough for the ref, but there was still so much going on. Migs was at his post, took a couple of steps towards the middle of the goal, but still wasn't happy, so he immediately did a u-turn, and carried on tweaking it. At this point the ref was walking away and blew the whistle. Migs started to return to his position, and the rest is history.

It was still incredibly naive from Migs though.

Wall or no wall, he should be ready when the whistle is blown.

But, tbf, he wasn't the only one not paying attention. He clearly wasn't happy with the positioning of other defenders and the wall was just as slow to react. Hendo's only movement was away from the ball. The whole team switched off.

Quote Originally Posted by geo1122 View Post
    The wall wasn't ready. It was 10 yards away, which was good enough for the ref, but there was still so much going on. Migs was at his post, took a couple of steps towards the middle of the goal, but still wasn't happy, so he immediately did a u-turn, and carried on tweaking it. At this point the ref was walking away and blew the whistle. Migs started to return to his position, and the rest is history.

It was still incredibly naive from Migs though.
    I never once said it wasnt naive by him nor disagree.

But to solely blame him for it is unfair and ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    I think it has to be a help if he is paying attention, and although I am in a minority I think if he had of been he would have saved it.
    Really eh? . For me I don't think Neuer even gets to it.

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Wall or no wall, he should be ready when the whistle is blown.
    This.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Someone is complaining about 'scapegoating' but is literally brining up everyone else except the person who was not watching.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    But, tbf, he wasn't the only one not paying attention. He clearly wasn't happy with the positioning of other defenders and the wall was just as slow to react. Hendo's only movement was away from the ball. The whole team switched off.
    Correct.

SouthernRob is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Was an amateur mistake last night, not good enough.

He won us a point, but lost us two !!
    If he comes for a cross and fumbles it; he might do it again next match; that's not the sort of thing you can easily remove from your game

He won't make the same mistake as yesterday again though

If he was aware of the ref and the ball there would be little to blame him for

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    You can nit pick over the role of others.

But the blame lies fairly and squarely at the feet of Simon.

The ball going in the net is irrelevant.

The keeper has the responsibility to be ready when the ref blows the whistle.

He wasn't...and regardless of what happened after the whistle was blown...it was a fundamental and amateurish error.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    If he was aware of the ref and the ball there would be little to blame him for
    Exactly.

The "even if he was ready it would still have been a goal" argument holds no water. If Mignolet paid attention to the whistle and was ready I doubt luiz would have even attempted to take it so quick in the first place.

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Drop for Karius.

It's clear he's not our keeper going forward. Why waste minutes and valuable experience which Karius needs.

What is the only thing migs has in his locker that Karius doesn't? Experience.

He was indeed.

Just looking again at the wall though, they didn't look ready to me as you suggested. They didn't so much as move, apart from Henderson gurning in slow motion. They jump and it's a routine block. They didn't, which is poor defending.

Just to summarise the last coupe of pages from the 2nd Thread:

People who say Luiz wouldn't have taken the shot if Mignolet was in the goal are ..... because they're talking about pure speculation.

But Mignolet wasn't at fault at all because he wouldn't have saved it if he had seen it.

Can't make this stuff up.

The only thing we can absolutely 100% say is that Mignolet wasn't paying attention to the ball and Luiz scored. That's it. Whether he'd have saved it or anybody else would is irrelevant. Luiz scored because of an amateur mistake leaving him with an open goal to aim for.

Pitiful goalkeeping and a penalty save doesn't make up for it. Not in my book.

We lost over 30 minutes of playing against a team that weren't completely sitting behind the ball making it as hard as they could to break them down and not attack because of that mistake.

30 minutes when we were on top for the 25 prior to it.

Mignolet shouldn't wear our shirt again. Too many pitiful errors.
    Last edited by GrottonRed; 1-2-17 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield-assassin View Post
    The "even if he was ready it would still have been a goal" argument holds no water. If Mignolet paid attention to the whistle and was ready I doubt luiz would have even attempted to take it so quick in the first place.
    I think this is a good point, he saw what was happening and went for it.

I never said you did. I pointed out earlier that the ref would normally wait for all the pieces to be in place before blowing his whistle. I also think the wall could have played up a bit and been a yard further forward, so the ref had some work to do. Mistakes happen. We know Migs is prone to errors. I'm just glad that it happened early enough in the game for us to react, whether people solely blame him or not.

I thought we would lose the game before kickoff, so I'm ok with how things turned out. I can see us turning another corner soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Campos View Post
    Just to summarise the last coupe of pages from the 2nd Thread:

People who say Luiz wouldn't have taken the shot if Mignolet was in the goal are stupid because they're talking about pure speculation.

But Mignolet wasn't at fault at all because he wouldn't have saved it if he had seen it.

Can't make this stuff up.

The only thing we can absolutely 100% say is that Mignolet wasn't paying attention to the ball and Luiz scored. That's it. Whether he'd have saved it or anybody else would is irrelevant. Luiz scored because of an amateur mistake leaving him with an open goal to aim for.

Pitiful goalkeeping and a penalty save doesn't make up for it. Not in my book.

We lost over 30 minutes of playing against a team that weren't completely sitting behind the ball making it as hard as they could to break them down and not attack because of that mistake.

30 minutes when we were on top for the 25 prior to it.

Mignolet shouldn't wear our shirt again. Too many pitiful errors.
    Stupid? It was clear that luiz spotted the gap. You could see the replay. He would not have attempted it if the gap in the goal was not there. He even said in the interview he has been struggling with free kicks as he cant practice them. He only tried that because the GK was in the wrong position.

Stupid? It was clear that luiz spotted the gap. You could see the replay. He would not have attempted it if the gap in the goal was not there. He even said in the interview he has been struggling with free kicks as he cant practice them. He only tried that because the GK was in the wrong position.
    Absolutely. They'd kicked off again for the restart before Mignolet noticed anything.

Apologise if my point wasn't very clear. It was about people contradicting themselves in favour of supporting Mignolet. Some people were saying that others couldn't comment on whether Luiz would take it because it was speculation, before saying Mignolet wasn't to blame because he wouldn't have saved it (ignoring the fact that this is speculation too).

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    This.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Someone is complaining about 'scapegoating' but is literally brining up everyone else except the person who was not watching.
    Wrong. And I thought the wall was ready?

The whole team was asleep. Not just Mignolet.

Perhaps u can comprehend that.