Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Mignolet Take 3

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    I disagree. I liked what I saw from Karius, he just needs confidence and some time to adjust to the league. I honestly think he would have been in the side but Migs upped his game and hasn't made that 1 clanger of a mistake he's known for, so he's being kept out of the starting XI.

Plus, I like Ward and think he's a very solid backup.
    No worries dude. I've only seen Karius fifteen or sixteen times and I've gotta admit I though he looked very vulnerable under the high ball. And since set plays have been our biggest downfall I don't see how Karius helps us there.

For me, he has very similar flaws to Mingolet.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    How many, other than the obvious trio of Courtois, De Gea, and Lloris are of a higher standard than him? Cech was but appears to be well on his way down the hill, every other keeper in the league is at best on a similar level to Mignolet, a clear tier below the top 5 in the world of the aforementioned trio, Buffon, and Neuer. There's no way any of those top 5 are coming to Liverpool so until we find the next top 5 keeper we're stuck with what we have or something similar. A keeper that doesn't check all the boxes and has a mistake in him at any time (although the latter really applies to all keepers, even the top 5 have clangers).

You say we need better in the summer...how about putting a name and number on how we do that...

Saying "we need better" is easy, making it happen is a lot tougher.
    I'd personally want us to throw 20m at Oblak or Ter Stegen, whether they'd come here or whether that'd be enough is another matter I suppose. But that's the kind of quality I'd like to see. At the time we signed Migs I really wanted us to get Begovic instead though.

A question asked here that can be asked of everyone in the LFC squad, if chasing glory is the aim next season....
    Has he done enough to keep his place next season?
    http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/04...1-next-season/

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    We get it ST you a migs fan, the rest of us are Liverpool fans we want what's best for the club not some silly obsession with a error prone keeper.
    Nothing to do with being a Liverpool or a Mignolet supporter. The best one must play. Surely when the best one plays it is a good thing for LFC.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    He's had periods of good form before. He's certainly in better than 'ok' form at present.
    Represents what you might reasonably have expected from him from 12/13 to present.....................

Even the saves from the last two games some on here are bigging up are pretty much what I'd expect a Liverpool keeper to be making, doubt there'd be nearly as much fanfare about it had it been Karius making those saves.

Maybe it's the starting expectation levels, Mignolet's set so low by his own past here so rocketing up to acceptable and above, whereas Karius only has the levels he set in Germany to go on so perhaps many are ignoring context* and just seeing his form as below expectations. If only Karius had done a Mignolet in Germany, maybe we'd be raving about his average and above performances here (not saying they were all that, but that people would rave about those that qualified as such)

*age, experience in the Premier League, starting a new team, you know, the things people might expect some slack over.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by stvvforever View Post
    Nothing to do with being a Liverpool or a Mignolet supporter. The best one must play. Surely when the best one plays it is a good thing for LFC.
    But you only post on one thread about one player ST. Problem with the rest of the players or just a migs fan on lfc forum.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    No worries dude. I've only seen Karius fifteen or sixteen times and I've gotta admit I though he looked very vulnerable under the high ball. And since set plays have been our biggest downfall I don't see how Karius helps us there.

For me, he has very similar flaws to Mingolet.
    I agree with that, and was hinting at that piece with the 'adjusting to the league'. I honestly think if we were languishing in 6th and/or Migs made the mistakes he's known for, he'd had stayed as the #1 the whole season. The spot on the bench and training everyday could only have helped him.

I think is ceiling is a lot higher than Migs currently level, and hopefully can be our #1 for a good few years. But who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by stvvforever View Post
    Nice to see someone who was very critical of Mignolet, praise him.
    I've no problem praising him when he's played 'well'. To not do it would be as bemusing as those who praise him when he's, in my opinion, not doing so 'well'.

It's nice to see him make a few vital saves and contribute to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    A question asked here that can be asked of everyone in the LFC squad, if chasing glory is the aim next season....
    Has he done enough to keep his place next season?
    http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/04...1-next-season/
    Spot on.
    The question is will klopp give him a chance one more season. Or will he shop for another keeper.
    It is obvious he doesnt rate him highly, or he wouldnt have brought in karius.
    Who in my opinion is not an upgrade.

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Spot on.
    The question is will klopp give him a chance one more season. Or will he shop for another keeper.
    last two games he s ctually playing like a goalkeeper and doing what is expected of him, winning us points and not a flapping error prone golkeeper

if he could play like this 95 percent of the time he d be ideal

but its been 2 games where he s been looking like a clss keeper... and a lot more games where he looks nervous edgy and vulnerable

we need a keeper that performs like he has done the last two games all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Spot on.
    your opinion based on a handful of games? based on seeing him in the bundesliga? or what?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Represents what you might reasonably have expected from him from 12/13 to present.....................

Even the saves from the last two games some on here are bigging up are pretty much what I'd expect a Liverpool keeper to be making, doubt there'd be nearly as much fanfare about it had it been Karius making those saves.

Maybe it's the starting expectation levels, Mignolet's set so low by his own past here so rocketing up to acceptable and above, whereas Karius only has the levels he set in Germany to go on so perhaps many are ignoring context* and just seeing his form as below expectations. If only Karius had done a Mignolet in Germany, maybe we'd be raving about his average and above performances here (not saying they were all that, but that people would rave about those that qualified as such)

*age, experience in the Premier League, starting a new team, you know, the things people might expect some slack over.
    precisely , over the last two games he is doing what he is supposed to do every game... not 2 games a season

still not good enough.... the more i say it the better he seems to play, so he s crap, utter crap

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    I'd personally want us to throw 20m at Oblak or Ter Stegen, whether they'd come here or whether that'd be enough is another matter I suppose. But that's the kind of quality I'd like to see. At the time we signed Migs I really wanted us to get Begovic instead though.
    No way 20m is getting you a sniff at either.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedByAgger View Post
    ter stegen is also a midget./... he s not gonna dominate his box..

we d have the same problems with him...

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post

Same height as Karious. Only a couple inches shorter than De Gea. I don't watch enough La Liga to know how Ter Stegen has been generally since taking over, much less how he does on crosses and set-pieces. I just know even if we wanted him, 20mill has no chance of doing it.

Same height as Karious. Only a couple inches shorter than De Gea. I don't watch enough La Liga to know how Ter Stegen has been generally since taking over, much less how he does on crosses and set-pieces. I just know even if we wanted him, 20mill has no chance of doing it.
    really he always looks tiny on tv

i dont think we ll change gk this summer...

karius will emerge as the number 1 next season... migs back then migs will leave

I know you don't own him, but how much you reckon it would take to get Oblak, if he was 'open' to a move?

6 foot 2 is a 'midget'? Hahaha.

Lloris cost 10m (+5m potential addons) and was the France international GK and very highly rated at Lyon, De Gea was 18m and also extremely highly rated (and is the British record for a GK), different situations and a few years back, but I don't think 20m is as unrealistic as you suggest, 'keepers don't tend to cost anywhere near as much as outfield players (apart from Buffon).

6 foot 2 is a 'midget'? Hahaha.
    he looks about 5 ft 9 on tv

Lloris cost 10m (+5m potential addons) and was the France international GK and very highly rated at Lyon, De Gea was 18m and also extremely highly rated (and is the British record for a GK), different situations and a few years back, but I don't think 20m is as unrealistic as you suggest, 'keepers don't tend to cost anywhere near as much as outfield players (apart from Buffon).
    karius was also highly rated

he looks about 5 ft 9 on tv
    You might wanna get a bigger TV then.

Migs, bless him, is like the philandering husband who seduces his long suffering wife into taking him back one more time. Thus is it baby, I'm changed!

But deep down its only a matter of time before he's back on the web, looking for trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    Migs, bless him, is like the philandering husband who seduces his long suffering wife into taking him back one more time. Thus is it baby, I'm changed!

But deep down its only a matter of time before he's back on the web, looking for trouble...

No great surprise the link to Hart for 20m has been summarily dismissed. Mignolet will be pleased

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39653836

http://www.90min.com/posts/2292390-t...rs-of-all-time

Seems despite the fact that few keepers cost more than Czech cost Arsenal people still talk up unwanted and or out of form keepers to silly figures like 20m (for Hart, Reina etc) A lot tie themselves up in one source backing another even though most sources on the internet will be second hand at best, most third hand or worse - club or manager statements being first hand, reports in the media being second hand at best

Answers on a postcard for anybody who can explain what Mignolet was doing for the second at the weekend.

Not the only culprit, obviously, but absolutely shocking on his part.

Gone under the radar, it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by Campos View Post
    Answers on a postcard for anybody who can explain what Mignolet was doing for the second at the weekend.

Not the only culprit, obviously, but absolutely shocking on his part..
    Ridiculous that there were bodies in the box playing musical statues. I think someone picked out that the goals both came from the left side of our defence, well technically being a corner from that side the second "came from the left side of our defence" but the whole blinking defence did little to stop them scoring.

Gone under the radar, it seems...
    If you mean he was far from a glowing example of exemplary goalkeeping and no one commented then it is more gone under the carpet from dusting, we are only allowed to say how wonderful his above average saves are and wax lyrical on his improvements. Sure he is a soup dragon who seems to have lost touch with the clangers but he could still do a lot better on some of the goals that go in.

I'm not sure if I'm dreaming this, but didn't someone on here say he gives himself no chance of making a save. Can't be too harsh on him for the first, although he was nowhere, but on the second he could easily have come for it. (not saying he should have saved either, but there's the middle ground of could have done better for both even if it still ended with two goals)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Ridiculous that there were bodies in the box playing musical statues. I think someone picked out that the goals both came from the left side of our defence, well technically being a corner from that side the second "came from the left side of our defence" but the whole blinking defence did little to stop them scoring.

If you mean he was far from a glowing example of exemplary goalkeeping and no one commented then it is more gone under the carpet from dusting, we are only allowed to say how wonderful his above average saves are and wax lyrical on his improvements. Sure he is a soup dragon who seems to have lost touch with the clangers but he could still do a lot better on some of the goals that go in.

I'm not sure if I'm dreaming this, but didn't someone on here say he gives himself no chance of making a save. Can't be too harsh on him for the first, although he was nowhere, but on the second he could easily have come for it. (not saying he should have saved either, but there's the middle ground of could have done better for both even if it still ended with two goals)
    Do you know what would have prevented that second goal:

Defenders on the posts.

All of a sudden Mignolet doesn't run towards the front post leaving 4/5 of the goal open, and there are less defenders in the centre of the area so probably more likely to take ownership rather than think 'somebody else will save that'.

Unsure whether that decision is a management one or goalkeeper one but it is a clear and simple solution.

I think Kamil Grabara is the future keeper for this club, so we really don't need to invest in any more keepers.

Do you know what would have prevented that second goal:

Defenders on the posts.
    Defenders doing something resembling their job might have too! Not so sure defenders on the posts would have made a difference watching it again, the ball went in fairly centrally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCiZPwU-zxs

All of a sudden Mignolet doesn't run towards the front post leaving 4/5 of the goal open, and there are less defenders in the centre of the area so probably more likely to take ownership rather than think 'somebody else will save that'.

Unsure whether that decision is a management one or goalkeeper one but it is a clear and simple solution.
    I've noticed a few times that Mignolet doesn't come off his line even when there's no obstruction. He more or less takes himself out of the equation, only if any resultant effort is at him is he likely to play any part in defending from where he seems stuck (sneaky wire put in so he can't move very far? )

I'd like to see the second goal again from a wider viewpoint, the one man in front of Mignolet (but as such can hardly block him without a foul) seems to be in an offside position, not from the corner obviously but from the breakdown it looks close as to whether anyone steps back and plays him onside (assuming he isn't deemed as not interfering with play which given where he is standing is implausible in my book)

Or on the flipside three defenders, Milner among them, all move back towards the byline and just play that player onside, not exactly sure what they were achieving? Maybe if the ball had been put back in close to the near post they might have headed it away, or maybe all blocking a shot from a tight angle, you tell me what those THREE achieved in defending.....?

Not the first time I've studied our defending for a goal and seen 2-3 players take themselves out of play, not even marking someone or maybe 1 marked between the lot of them!