Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Changing Places - Premier and Championship

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Oh, I don't mind the Rams at all. Leeds I detest.

Huddersfield could be a nice change.
    I like Leeds and it's a added bonus the stick they give man ure.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    I like Leeds and it's a added bonus the stick they give man ure.
    Leeds are along with Bolton, Blackburn, Man City are clubs I like for exactly the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    It's not off topic, I was using cricket as a comparison an example of where too many teams and filling it up with uncompetitive teams doesn't work, although it seems I didn't quite tie it up that neatly, although I was implying if not stating it explicitly in "no good sticking the bad sides in with the good sides and HOPING they'll improve, needs to be a structure that makes sure of at least a decent fist made by all"

Not off topic to you, but I'm always in danger getting an infraction.... 'serial offender' status. Yes, of course I know what you mean.

Anyway, big day in das championship today, thought Huddersfield might be slipping up and they scraped a win, missing their two chelski loanees I may just point out Brighton put Wolves away fairly well later kick-off so they are now 4 points from 4 games away from automatic promotion as the BBC put it, but it remains 99.99% likely one less point will do it given their GD is +36 and the terriers' a meagre +5.
    Sure Brighton MIGHT lose all but one of their games, and by say 5-6 goal margins, and drop down to around +20 GD (winning the other 1-0 say) and the terriers might just win their five games by say 4-5 goals each and end up sneaking up to around +24 goal difference, but I think there may be a squadron of pigs doing a fly by the day a bookie pays out on that bet....
    Not even sure they can catch Newcastle, maybe if the barcodes lose tonight but even then the terriers would be facing a maximum of 92 points and Newcastle again with superior GD would need 8 points from 4 games assuming the terriers could win 5 out of 5 which is not too likely.
    The permutations become less and less speculative as we approach the end. I'll be happy (more or less) to see Newcastle back up, and Brighton.
    Huddersfield did Preston over, that helps them nicely, but silly Kiwi Chris Wood goes and gets a point for Leeds off Newcastle. Mixed feelings about that one, I must admit.

The permutations become less and less speculative as we approach the end. I'll be happy (more or less) to see Newcastle back up, and Brighton.
    Huddersfield did Preston over, that helps them nicely, but silly Kiwi Chris Wood goes and gets a point for Leeds off Newcastle. Mixed feelings about that one, I must admit.
    The permutations are that both Newcastle and Brighton will be promoted on Monday if Derby beat Huddersfield.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    The permutations are that both Newcastle and Brighton will be promoted on Monday if Derby beat Huddersfield.
    Brighton only need to win their next game and they will be up (99.99% certain, no way will they get tonked often enough or the terriers win handsomely enough to overturn the GD)

I'll pre-empt any answer(s) that involved part of my answer to them (schmathmatically possible) because it is often said until that then nothing is certain, except it never extends beyond discussion ie possible remains theoretical, never actualised
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 15-4-17 at 11:46.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Brighton only need to win their next game and they will be up (99.99% certain, no way will they get tonked often enough or the terriers win handsomely enough to overturn the GD)

I'll pre-empt any answer(s) that involved part of my answer to them (schmathmatically possible) because it is often said until that then nothing is certain, except it never extends beyond discussion ie possible remains theoretical, never actualised
    That's why I was saying that Brighton need a maximum of 4 points in order to ensure they get promoted on their own accord. Depending on results, they may need only 3 which is a win on Monday. Newcastle need a similar amount.

That's why I was saying that Brighton need a maximum of 4 points in order to ensure they get promoted on their own accord. Depending on results, they may need only 3 which is a win on Monday. Newcastle need a similar amount.
    If Huddersfield win all their outstanding games, Newcastle will need 7 points from their last 4 games to ensure promotion.

Brighton the 48th team to play in the Premier League

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    If Huddersfield win all their outstanding games, Newcastle will need 7 points from their last 4 games to ensure promotion.
    Conceding a few lately unlike a Rafa team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Brighton the 48th team to play in the Premier League
    Chris Hughton back up.

Chris Hughton back up.
    Still feel he was a bit hard done by at Newcastle, ironic he should pip them to promotion and possibly the league with a club that has never been in the Premier League (under the current name)

Does this rank as more impressive than Rodders' SPL triumph? I can see pros and cons, difficulty of taking a side up with the standard higher than in a one donkey race, but then not walking it which is hardly surprising. Didn't do much in either cup but won 31 out of 48 games this season so nay bad, nay bad.

liverpool19734 is online now Academy prospect
    Still feel he was a bit hard done by at Newcastle, ironic he should pip them to promotion and possibly the league with a club that has never been in the Premier League (under the current name)

Does this rank as more impressive than Rodders' SPL triumph? I can see pros and cons, difficulty of taking a side up with the standard higher than in a one donkey race, but then not walking it which is hardly surprising. Didn't do much in either cup but won 31 out of 48 games this season so nay bad, nay bad.
    Didn't they make the playoffs last season and actually bottled an automatic spot? Not like they came from nowhere.

Yes, I agree. For some reason, I always though he seemed somewhat uncomfortable at Norwich... not a good fit.
    But he's done the hard yakka with Brighton, as you say. Good for him.

If he gets fired again, at least the Birmingham job's already taken..... for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    Didn't they make the playoffs last season and actually bottled an automatic spot? Not like they came from nowhere.
    True to a certain degree, they pushed last season but finished TWENTIETH in 14/15. It still doesn't detract from being able to sustain a challenge against other strong contestants. How many clubs have managed to sustain a promotion push, especially after failed ones? And how many sustained it without having a big club standing, backing etc?

15/16 : Brighton, Derby, Sheff Wed (Ipswich, Cardiff, Brentford)
    14/15 : Brentford, Ipswich, Boro* (Wolves, Derby, Blackburn)
    13/14 : Derby, Wigan, Brighton (Reading, Blackburn, Ipswich)
    12/13 : Watford, Brighton, Leicester (Bolton, Notts Forest, Charlton)

*promoted the next season

Ipswich were there or thereabouts for three seasons, now nowhere. Reading have resurfaced, Derby fallen away a little, but notice that not many have been there or there abouts for three seasons in a row. And are we to argue that Brighton should be up there compared to say Leeds, Derby, Wolves, Birmingham, Norwich, Ipswich, Notts Forest, Boro (in the past) not to mention a few other clubs....?

Let's make no bones about it, there are SEVENTEEN clubs in the Championship who've played in the Premier League, granted some like Barnsley and Cardiff haven't spent too many seasons in the top flight so not all are better placed, sized etc to be ahead of Brighton in the promotion pecking order, but then you can also argue other clubs have much stronger cases plus some who have also not played in the Premier League are capable of going up like Bournemouth did, and indeed some of those among the seventeen will have gone up "against the odds". Huddersfield aren't exactly what you might consider the biggest or stronger contenders, bagged themselves some key loans and up they are.

So bit harsh to use what is no knockable thing, sustaining a regular promotion bid without obvious massive financial advantage, although never easy to tell with so many "undisclosed" fees bandied about like they've something to hide (they including everyone) unless you know something very different. Besides I'd think they'd be massively criticised if they had spent huge amounts and not gone up, with comments about the spending even when they do.....

Not like some of the more obvious clubs taken over like Hull, Cardiff, QPR (although not sure how well they used it) etc I believe.

Yes, I agree. For some reason, I always though he seemed somewhat uncomfortable at Norwich... not a good fit.
    But he's done the hard yakka with Brighton, as you say. Good for him.

If he gets fired again, at least the Birmingham job's already taken..... for a while.
    he should have just whinged about it like Yorke and others perhaps insinuating it was not his ability/something else

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39661668

Maybe Yorke will complain his headline has been usurped by the death of Ehiogu, although he can't complain about it being someone not black dying.

he should have just whinged about it like Yorke and others perhaps insinuating it was not his ability/something else

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39661668

Maybe Yorke will complain his headline has been usurped by the death of Ehiogu, although he can't complain about it being someone not black dying.
    Maybe Mr Yorke would prefer some Affirmative Action Programme being instigated by the Football Association...... quotas, and such.

Anyhoo, for fear of once again being identified as a 'serial offender' for off-topic meanderings, I must say that I for one welcome Mr Hughton and his gallant team to the Premier League.

I'm sure that their elevation from the Championship will only serve to encourage all the reprobates and riff-raff from the Stygian gloom of the lower reaches of the leagues to attempt the same.

Last edited by DiddlerDave; 21-4-17 at 11:56.

Maybe Mr Yorke would prefer some Affirmative Action Programme being instigated by the Football Association...... quotas, and such.
    All they, or someone, needs to do is obtain information from clubs as to who applied, their relevant quals etc and monitor as if it were drug testing. Shouldn't be hard to implement, until such a time as this happens we'll have the same old same old, someone complains there aren't enough, someone suggests quotas and inappropriate level stats will be quoted with little or no substantiating level stats to support any kind of cause and effect relationship

Be like me saying "traffic was bad" when arriving late for work, I walk so it didn't cause me to be late. That there are only two black managers in English football could be racism or more likely could be that they (according to Yorke himself) don't bother getting qualified, and like Yorke himself may have zero experience and lack the skill sets. Who knows what happens at any given stage of this process, applications are vetted and suitable candidates selected

And who knows how many applicants there are of any given race, I could equally say there are ZERO female managers, or indeed ZERO rabbits in charge at football clubs. As for the other stat I see a lot, about the proportions of black players playing to black managers managing, it isn't exactly the same skill, nor do they stray from the MOTD sofa or final score, or other media bolt holes, and one might ask Dwight 2 key questions - what has he been doing since he retired and why does he ASSUME he should get an interview for a job when his CV looks to lack anything like relevant experience, second team or first team coaching etc

So we're presented with minimal worthwhile information, just a few stats that are lacking any substantial underlying information like applicant figures and breakdowns, skills and quals of respective sets of white and non white candidates. If he can present his experience and quals compared to any manager who got ANY job that he might covet and it looks even remotely comparable then let's listen to his claim. Oh and if there is this racism that is regularly implied, why do clubs employ black footballers (because they're good enough) and not black managers/staff (maybe they're not good enough.......?) ........ ?

If any were presented to go to court they'd be thrown out without a lot more evidence than presented, perhaps why we hear regular bleating and nothing more.

Be interesting to see how Chris Hughton or his namesake mr Hughson get on. He's done plenty enough to show he's good enough for upper end of Championship and lower end of Premier League, hopefully next season he'll show good enough for midtable Premier League. Sadly we'll be hearing plenty from palace fans with their rivalry

All they, or someone, needs to do is obtain information from clubs as to who applied, their relevant quals etc and monitor as if it were drug testing. Shouldn't be hard to implement, until such a time as this happens we'll have the same old same old, someone complains there aren't enough, someone suggests quotas and inappropriate level stats will be quoted with little or no substantiating level stats to support any kind of cause and effect relationship

Be like me saying "traffic was bad" when arriving late for work, I walk so it didn't cause me to be late. That there are only two black managers in English football could be racism or more likely could be that they (according to Yorke himself) don't bother getting qualified, and like Yorke himself may have zero experience and lack the skill sets. Who knows what happens at any given stage of this process, applications are vetted and suitable candidates selected

And who knows how many applicants there are of any given race, I could equally say there are ZERO female managers, or indeed ZERO rabbits in charge at football clubs. As for the other stat I see a lot, about the proportions of black players playing to black managers managing, it isn't exactly the same skill, nor do they stray from the MOTD sofa or final score, or other media bolt holes, and one might ask Dwight 2 key questions - what has he been doing since he retired and why does he ASSUME he should get an interview for a job when his CV looks to lack anything like relevant experience, second team or first team coaching etc

So we're presented with minimal worthwhile information, just a few stats that are lacking any substantial underlying information like applicant figures and breakdowns, skills and quals of respective sets of white and non white candidates. If he can present his experience and quals compared to any manager who got ANY job that he might covet and it looks even remotely comparable then let's listen to his claim. Oh and if there is this racism that is regularly implied, why do clubs employ black footballers (because they're good enough) and not black managers/staff (maybe they're not good enough.......?) ........ ?

If any were presented to go to court they'd be thrown out without a lot more evidence than presented, perhaps why we hear regular bleating and nothing more.

Be interesting to see how Chris Hughton or his namesake mr Hughson get on. He's done plenty enough to show he's good enough for upper end of Championship and lower end of Premier League, hopefully next season he'll show good enough for midtable Premier League. Sadly we'll be hearing plenty from palace fans with their rivalry
    This. One might ask... Have you worked diligently to achieve what you want, or do you just want it handed to you on a plate?

The real or imagined discrimination factor in football deserves its own fully argumentative thread, probably.

Thank you for spotting my deliberate mistake for the day.

This. One might ask... Have you worked diligently to achieve what you want, or do you just want it handed to you on a plate?
    Was just thinking along those lines this morning, does he perhaps assume he was a very good international footballer who played for the best club in the land for a few years and so clubs should want him even though he's not proven himself (or anywhere near it) a very good manager..........?

Anyway swiftly back on topic, Mr Hughson didn't fare too well last night in trying to secure the Championship title. 2 own goals by their keeper at Norwich, not an easy place to go and one of those clubs one might fairly say should be doing better perhaps. Not sure even if they don't finish champions it will detract from their season's efforts or achievements.

I do wonder if we'll have a thread looking at who we might pinch from relegated or promoted sides as is quite often the case (thread not the doing of)

Was just thinking along those lines this morning, does he perhaps assume he was a very good international footballer who played for the best club in the land for a few years and so clubs should want him even though he's not proven himself (or anywhere near it) a very good manager..........?

Anyway swiftly back on topic, Mr Hughson didn't fare too well last night in trying to secure the Championship title. 2 own goals by their keeper at Norwich, not an easy place to go and one of those clubs one might fairly say should be doing better perhaps. Not sure even if they don't finish champions it will detract from their season's efforts or achievements.

I do wonder if we'll have a thread looking at who we might pinch from relegated or promoted sides as is quite often the case (thread not the doing of)
    Mr Yorke is displaying something of the petulant child. Stamps his foot, and pouts.
    Do the courses, get your badges, mate… in essence, prove that you are worthy of the responsibility.

Two own goals like that is an unfortunate happenstance indeed.

As for the imminent thread… there will be discussions, and exchanges of views.

Brighton have done remarkably well. They didn't posess the resources that the odds on favourites Newcastle had. They've managed to overtake them. Newcastle are currently a championship team with premier league resources. They are also managed by a La Liga and Champions League winner. What Chris Hughton has done and this is impressive is defy the odds. They earned their place on merit. If Brighton win the title, Hughton should recieve all the accolades he deserves.

Newcastle will and I'm 99.99% certain of this be promoted on Monday should they beat Preston. The gap between them and 3rd is too big to stop them.

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Newcastle will and I'm 99.99% certain of this be promoted on Monday should they beat Preston. The gap between them and 3rd is too big to stop them.
    Um, pretty sure it's 100% if they win. Most points possible from teams below them is if Huddersfield Town win their remaining three matches to put them on 87 points. A win for Newcastle puts them on 88.

Huddersfield have hit a wall, they were the only team that could realistically catch Newcastle. One of their fans was even speculating that they might lose to Fulham and indeed on the play-offs altogether, although I think the latter is improbable.

LEEDS
    Result : bit of a surprise defeat at Burton (now 18th)
    Fixtures : Norwich 8th (h), Wigan 23rd (a)

Outlook : need 3 points from 6 just to go level with Fulham but with vastly inferior GD. Would need all 6 points to catch anyone else given you can't get 5 out of 6. They're clinging on to feint hopes now. Wigan equally are clinging on to feint hopes of survival and may be down by the time Leeds visit, facing a trip to Reading who'll want a draw just to be sure.

FULHAM
    Result : massive win at Huddersfield
    Fixtures : Brentford 9th (h), Sheff Wed 4th (a)

Outlook : will want a win at home to Brentford which should see off any Leeds threat. Was surprised they are top scorers in the league and Norwich are second top scorers, Fulham drawing too many otherwise they'd be contenders for automatic promotion, Norwich shipping way too many - more even than Wigan, Blackburn and Birmingham who are trying to avoid relegation and two of whom could go down. In fact only Notts Forest and Rotherham have conceded more than Norwich.

HUDDERSFIELD
    Result : massive defeat at home to Fulham
    Fixtures : Wolves 15th (a), Birmingham 21st (a), Cardiff 12th (h)

Outlook : looked to be pushing for automatic promotion but have lost FIVE of their last 10 league games and picked up just 4 points out of the last 12 possible. Their games in hand are now no longer looking to catch the top two but keep at bay the sides in and around them to make sure of a play-off place. They are the only side could theoretically come mathematically catch Newcastle, discounting miracle GD turnarounds.

They'll be hoping Birmingham win today at villa, and that Wolves are not up for it on Tuesday. They'll want 2 draws or a win to be absolutely sure Leeds can't catch them, they'll have Cardiff at home in reserve should they lose their away games.

SHEFF WED
    Result : put away Derby at home, they and Fulham the only pair of the top 7 to win so far this weekend.
    Fixtures : Ipswich 16th (a), Fulham 6th (h)

Outlook : Decent enough GD but only much of an advantage if any over Reading and Huddersfield so will be wanting to secure a play-off place via points. 2-3 points will do it, they won't want to rely on getting something off Fulham on the final day, not after their result against Huddersfield so will be keen to win at Ipswich - a draw might mean Leeds can only equal their points, but with 2 wins and the owls' GD staying the same then said wins would push their GD above that of the owls so 2 draws would be needed minimum.

READING
    Result : lost in the forest, but pulled back well from 0-3 down to lose 2-3
    Fixtures : Wigan 23rd (h), Burton 18th (a)

Outlook : only way they won't make the play-offs is for Leeds to win both their games and Reading get no points at all so a point at home to Wigan would do it. Wigan need to win their remaining games to have a hope of catching Birmingham, the only side outside the relegation zone they can catch, so should put up a tough fight. Reading could in theory catch Newcastle, but let's get real, to overturn a 36 goal difference would need wins and losses to go in their favour by large margins of approaching 8-10 goals a game given they have 2-3 games left respectively - and by the time Newcastle have next played that miracle may have been trumped.

So in a nutshell, Leeds need 4-6 points and results to go their way. To catch Fulham is their best hope, I'd suggest they have about a 1 in 10 chance given Fulham only need a point to force Leeds to win both their games to catch any of the sides in the play-offs at present.

Realism suggests the Championship top 7 are as they will remain (in terms of automatic and play-off places) with maybe some jockeying among the play-off teams.

So in a nutshell, Leeds need 4-6 points and results to go their way. To catch Fulham is their best hope, I'd suggest they have about a 1 in 10 chance given Fulham only need a point to force Leeds to win both their games to catch any of the sides in the play-offs at present.

Realism suggests the Championship top 7 are as they will remain (in terms of automatic and play-off places) with maybe some jockeying among the play-off teams.
    Leeds really have shot themselves in the foot.

Could argue big day at the bottom yesterday.

20th. Sunderland already look down without having played yesterday, now 12 points from 'safety' with a maximum 18 available to them IF they could somehow win as many in their last 6 games as they have in the previous 32

19th. Middlesboro lost heavily at Bournemouth, conceded as many goals as we did there, and are only 3 points better off than Sunderland with a game less so their prospects are bleak.

18th. Swansea got themselves 3 points at home to Stoke, have a chance of catching Hull who are 2 points better off but -2 GD worse off. Thereafter they have slim chances of catching palace (4 points clear with 2 games in hand and much better GD) or Bumley (5 points clear, game in hand and better GD)

17th. Hull defied refereeing and won at home to Watford. They have a little wider scope to catch teams above still, palace 2 points, 2 games and better GD ahead of them but have some tough games in hand, Bumley 3 points ahead, game in hand and better GD, with other teams above those two who have a stronger position.

Palace may look decently placed, and have defied what I've said before about tough fixtures, but to keep winning tough fixtures takes some doing.

Liverpool (a)
    Tottenham (h)
    Burnley (h)
    Man City (a)
    Hull (h)
    Man Utd (a)

Feasible they could lose at least 3-4 of those games, especially those away unless they pull off a repeat of their win at Stamford Bridge. They may well put away Bumley and Hull at home, but I'm sure they'd rather have easier fixtures than those. It will be firmly in their mind they could lose both their next two games, both before any of the sides other than the bottom two play and a table something like the below might not look so comfortable with two tough away days still to come :

15. Burnley P34 PTS 36 (GD -16)
    16. C Palace P34 PTS 35 (GD -13)
    17. Hull P34 PTS 33 (GD -31)
    --------------------------------------------
    18. Swansea P34 PTS 31 (GD -29)
    19. Middlesboro P34 PTS 27 (GD -19)
    20. Sunderland P33 PTS 21 (GD -33)

Only 3 and 5 points respectively ahead of Hull and Swansea with the three sides having fixtures :

C Palace : Burnley (h), Man City (a), Hull (h), Man Utd (a)
    Hull : Southampton (a), Sunderland (h), C Palace (a), Tottenham (h)
    Swansea : Man Utd (a), Everton (h), Sunderland (a), WBA (H)

Cancel out one fixture each if you like with say Man Utd (a) vs Tottenham (h), although Hull may well fancy winning their last three if things go well and spudz may not even have anything to play for. Swansea might not expect anything from OT, maybe a point , but the rest they must fancy their chances of 2-3 wins. Unless they do pick up 10 points I think Swansea will still struggle to catch palace, but will still fancy their last three vs those of Hull and so catching them

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Leeds really have shot themselves in the foot.
    That loss to Burton will likely cost them. Bang on 3 points to their tally and they'd have every chance of a play-off place as there'd be only 3 points separating 3rd from 7th instead of 3 points separating them from 6th.

Still Reading vs Huddersfield to come, but Sunderland, Hull and Boro down, Newcastle pinching top spot on the way up from Brighton.

Up - Brighton, Newcastle plus Reading or Huddersfield
    Down - Sunderland, Hull, Boro

Interesting geography of the relegated sides, not exactly city rivals but all in a relative corner of NE England

Still Reading vs Huddersfield to come, but Sunderland, Hull and Boro down, Newcastle pinching top spot on the way up from Brighton.

Up - Brighton, Newcastle plus Reading or Huddersfield
    Down - Sunderland, Hull, Boro

Interesting geography of the relegated sides, not exactly city rivals but all in a relative corner of NE England
    It would be more interesting (for me) to see Huddersfield in the PL, rather than Reading.

The North East is in some disarray in recent times… Sunderland sliding down and out, Muddlesbrough in and out, Newcastle out and then back up.

Their respective managers were certainly well matched with their individual fortunes, come to think of it.

It would be more interesting (for me) to see Huddersfield in the PL, rather than Reading.

The North East is in some disarray in recent times… Sunderland sliding down and out, Muddlesbrough in and out, Newcastle out and then back up.

Their respective managers were certainly well matched with their individual fortunes, come to think of it.
    I personally prefer Huddersfield as well.