Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing Places - Premier and Championship

1. #1 Default Changing Places - Premier and Championship 
    We're well past the half-way mark of the season, now.

While LFC is having a few struggles with consistency at the moment - and we're all getting a bit wound up about it - why not take a look at who we'd like to see go down, and who we'd like to see come up?

Not looking at any serious speculation just yet, but perhaps more from a personal perspective.
    Who don't you care for in the bottom half of the PL, and would be happy to see them gone?

Who in the top half of The Championship would you like to see take the step up into the Premier League?
    Are there teams that you think might make for a better representation of areas of England? For example, the Birmingham/Midlands area has West Brom in the PL, but no-one else.
    Would you like to see Aston Villa back up, or Wolves? (Well, hard luck... )

Do you have an irrational distaste for a PL team, that you'd like to see go down a level (no, Manchester United won't be a candidate, unfortunately)... or a Championship side that you have a soft spot for, and wouldn't mind seeing them compete at top level.

For myself...

To Go Down
    Middlesbrough (for no reason other than I can't stand 'em)
    Crystal Palace (I just don't find them interesting in any way)
    There isn't any standout side for the third team to go, for me.

To Come Up
    Newcastle (A big club, that belongs in the top tier)
    Sheffield Wednesday (any Yorkshire side other than Leeds, really!)
    Derby (I just quite like them)

I'd like Wolves to get back up, too... but they've got no chance at all. Maybe next season.
    Remember... it's not serious discussion... just a wave of your magic wand, and send three down, and call three up.

Who do you like as candidates??
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Although they lost at Huddersfield I do feel Brighton have a good shot a promotion this season. Maybe only 5 points ahead of Reading now but with a game in hand, they were in a strong position and seem to have a somewhat 'unfair' deal when it comes to when they play.

I mean they seem to have their games dotted all over, four Fridays by my count and they appear to be playing different days to the majority, and I must have missed whatever caused them to have a game in hand - not much of an EFL Cup run or FA Cup run, maybe an opponent had a run causing the game in hand.
    People will believe what they want to believe

As for going down, would love to see Leicester go down and dispel any remaining mythology last season wasn't a freak. Could toss down half a dozen or more sides as far as I'm concerned, not even counting the disliking of big club rivals - and the bitters!

I do find sides perpetually flirting with relegation and avoiding it at the last really annoying, I mean our beloved rivals across the park deserved to be relegated at least once although they haven't had that many consecutive flirts as best I recall. In the case surely Sunderland deserve the flush although they do see their fair share of ups and downs

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    As for going down, would love to see Leicester go down and dispel any remaining mythology last season wasn't a freak. Could toss down half a dozen or more sides as far as I'm concerned, not even counting the disliking of big club rivals - and the bitters!

I do find sides perpetually flirting with relegation and avoiding it at the last really annoying, I mean our beloved rivals across the park deserved to be relegated at least once although they haven't had that many consecutive flirts as best I recall. In the case surely Sunderland deserve the flush although they do see their fair share of ups and downs
    That's rather naughty.

I'd hate to be a supporter of a club that does a jack-in-the-box between the two levels.... two seasons down, one season up, two seasons down

Swansea seem to be turning a corner with clement, so I think they will be ok.
    Hull are going through a good patch too but I think they will drop as their squad is thin and not great quality. Lost a couple of decent players in the transfer window too.
    BFS will keep palace up as he always does. Moyes might just have enough to keep Sunderland up (unfortunately).
    Leicester are shocking and also have European football to distract them further. Boro just don't seem to have enough goals in them to stay up.

I will go with Hull, Leicester and Middlesbrough.

On the promotion, Newcastle without a doubt, then Brighton as they play some lovely stuff. After that it's a Yorkshire battle. I think Leeds might sneak the playoffs, I would be happy for Monk but wouldn't look forward to the Leeds Fanimals returning to the prem.

In an ideal world I would like Newcastle, Leeds, Forest, Villa and Derby to be in the top flight.

West Brom, Hull, Leicester, Burnley & Watford nothing me

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
    In an ideal world I would like Newcastle, Leeds, Forest, Villa and Derby to be in the top flight.
    You can keep your ideal world, the only side I'd want of that lot is Newcastle and even then I wouldn't lose sleep over them not being in the top flight

Love to see fat Sam and Gollum getting relegated couldn't happen to the best two people in the world ha ha

Love to see Newcastle back in the Premier League specially if Benitez is in charge as he can then start to ram down the throats media and so called expert football pundits

The rest not bothered

You can keep your ideal world, the only side I'd want of that lot is Newcastle and even then I wouldn't lose sleep over them not being in the top flight
    I thought this was a bit of a light hearted distraction?

My mistake.

I honestly couldn't give a toss.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    That's rather naughty.
    Does my head in when things like that happen, more because people latch on to illogic by association. And to expand I'll give some examples:

- Alex Ferguson won shedloads in his time at Man Utd, but didn't win a trophy for seven years so people suggest if you stick with a manager then they'll do a fergie when there's no cause and effect relationship and way too many variables you couldn't replicate - it isn't 1992/93 for example, not all managers have won the SPL with the 3rd best team in a 2 horse race before joining the club, and Gollum was at a club for donkey's years and the bitters are still nothing

- Mike Brearley effect, not really one of the more common ones but read in BBC comments someone suggested picking someone on their captaincy ability over any batting ability as if it's that simple.

- Leicester City effect, that a one off freak is possible when the truth is so many of the top sides took a season off - chelski struggled, citeh and the mancs tripped over being inconsistent to such an extent the goners and spudz finished 2nd and 3rd.

I'm sure there are more but my lunchbreak is over so best get back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
    I thought this was a bit of a light hearted distraction?

My mistake.

I honestly couldn't give a toss.
    Your wording ("ideal world") hardly suggested not giving a toss, oh and no need to get defensive. Anyway best stop extending my lunchbreak!!

Well yesterday may have been key in the promotion battle, automatic if not overall as the lottery of play-offs won't be decided quite until closer to the end of the season even if 2-3 are more or less assured of it.

Newcastle could only draw with Bristol City, Huddersfield couldn't extend their winning run at Barnsley so Brighton took advantage and put more points and GD between themselves and Reading leaving the top 3 all with a game in hand.

1. Brighton P33 PTS 71 (GD+ 31)
    2. Newcastle P33 PTS 70 (GD +37)
    3. Huddersfield P33 PTS 65 (GD +8)

4. Leeds P34 PTS 61 (+12)
    5. Reading P34 PTS 60 (GD +2)
    6. Sheff Wed P34 PTS 58 (GD +9)

Fulham are 7th, 5 points worse off but 8 GD better off than the owls. Already the real question is becoming can Huddersfield catch one of the top two and steal an automatic place? They need to gain 6 and 7 points respectively on them given their inferior GD. Likewise the top two will feel safe-ish given Leeds need 10 and 11 points respectively in one less game to catch them, the field is thinning.

Any advantages in fixtures among the top 3? Brighton lost a bit of their advantage when they lost to the terriers a few weeks ago, and could only draw with Ipswich at home and Brentford away. Next up is a top of the table clash at the Amex so could open the door for the terriers with them playing at SJP the game after and Newcastle then away to Reading so three of the top five next up. Seems I've stumbled on a good time to revive this thread!

Brighton

Home (6) : Newcastle 2nd, Derby 11th, Blackburn 23rd, Birmingham 14th, Wigan 22nd, Bristol C 21st
    Away (7) : Notts Forest 18th, Rotherham 24th, Leeds 4th, QPR 16th, Wolves 20th, Norwich 9th, A Villa 17th

Newcastle

Home (6) : Fulham 7th, Wigan 22nd, Burton 19th, Leeds 4th, Preston 8th, Barnsley 10th
    Away (7) : Brighton 1st, Huddersfield 3rd, Reading 5th, Birmingham 14th, Sheff Wed 6th, Ipswich 15th, Cardiff 12th

Huddersfield

Home (7) : Newcastle 2nd, A Villa 17th, Burton 19th, Norwich 9th, Preston 8th, Fulham 7th Cardiff 12th
    Away (6) : Brentford 13th, Bristol C 21st, Notts Forest 18th, Derby 11th, Birmingham 14th, Wolves 20th (TBA)

Red is tough away, orange tough at home, purple potential banana skin at a side scrapping against relegation, blue a side at the bottom but at home. So top 7 and bottom 7 sides basically, notts forest and Burton have played a game more than villa who have 2 and 3 points respectively on them and villa are 8 points clear of Wigan. Fulham only included in the tougher top table sides as they have a game in hand so could push Sheff Wed in pressing for a play-off place, could argue Norwich could too with a game in hand but are 2 points further back than Fulham.

So in terms of highest potential to be tough games, home or away against top 7 sides, away to bottom 7 sides :

'tough' fixtures

Brighton 5 (1-7 = x1 home, x1 away, 18-24 = x3 away)
    Newcastle 6 (1-7 = x2 home, x4 away, 18-24 = x0 away)
    Huddersfield 5 (1-7 = x2 home, x0 away, 18-24 = x3 away)

Brighton only have to play Newcastle home and Leeds away of the top 7, Huddersfield have it slightly easier with two of the top 7 at home only whilst Newcastle have to play FOUR of the top 7 away and 2 at home.

In terms of 18-24 at home it's 3-2-1

Average position left to play

Home : Brighton 16th, Newcastle 12th, Huddersfield 11th
    Away Brighton 15th, Newcastle 8th, Huddersfield 16th
    Overall : Brighton 15th, Newcastle 10th, Huddersfield 13th

Might suggest Brighton top the league and Huddersfield push Newcastle to the very end.
    Last edited by TheDarknessIsCalling; 26-2-17 at 11:17. Reason: accidentally clicked 'post' last of several clicks of preview instead of preview before ready to post

Wish list:

DOWN

Sunderland - I'm sick of them
    Boro = Tedious
    Palace = It'd be funny for Allardyce to take them down

UP

Brighton = Great club, lovely stadium, good manager
    Newcastle = Only because of Rafa
    Leeds = Too big a name to not be in the PL, and it'd be nice to see them back after their brutal collapse

If not Leeds, then Huddersfield, because they've never been in the PL before.

liverpool19734 is offline Academy prospect
    Relegated
    Boro
    Leicester
    Sunderland

Promoted
    Newcastle
    Huddersfield
    Leeds

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    i think one of the very first football matches i watched was liverpool v newcasstle so they will always hold fond memories for me...... rafa also gave me fond memories so i would love to see rafa bring a little bit of glory and success back to tyneside... their fans drought is worse than ours .. its a big club 50,000 a week. there is no reason a club with such a fanbase should be outside the top 7

saying that what a good choice club for a rich foreigner investor to invest in... already has a huge fanbase. in the championship

Up

Brighton
    Newcastle
    Wednesday

Down

Sunderland
    Hull
    Palace

Quote Originally Posted by Rollertoaster View Post
    Up

Brighton
    Newcastle
    Wednesday

Down

Sunderland
    Hull
    Palace
    woah sheff wednesday.. then too and nottingham forest , get them back up and leeds.... someone else who hates the mancs
    sunderland look done to me..

hull will survive......

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    Wish list:

DOWN

Sunderland - I'm sick of them
    Boro = Tedious
    Palace = It'd be funny for Allardyce to take them down

UP

Brighton = Great club, lovely stadium, good manager
    Newcastle = Only because of Rafa
    Leeds = Too big a name to not be in the PL, and it'd be nice to see them back after their brutal collapse

If not Leeds, then Huddersfield, because they've never been in the PL before.
    I like the first bold, but not the second. I'll take Huddersfield, ta.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    I like the first bold, but not the second. I'll take Huddersfield, ta.
    Got to say, and I can quite put my finger on it, but can't stand leeds (or forest) May be their fans, regardless of any hatred for our 'friends' down the road

Does my head in when things like that happen, more because people latch on to illogic by association. And to expand I'll give some examples:

- Alex Ferguson won shedloads in his time at Man Utd, but didn't win a trophy for seven years so people suggest if you stick with a manager then they'll do a fergie when there's no cause and effect relationship and way too many variables you couldn't replicate - it isn't 1992/93 for example, not all managers have won the SPL with the 3rd best team in a 2 horse race before joining the club, and Gollum was at a club for donkey's years and the bitters are still nothing

- Mike Brearley effect, not really one of the more common ones but read in BBC comments someone suggested picking someone on their captaincy ability over any batting ability as if it's that simple.

- Leicester City effect, that a one off freak is possible when the truth is so many of the top sides took a season off - chelski struggled, citeh and the mancs tripped over being inconsistent to such an extent the goners and spudz finished 2nd and 3rd.

I'm sure there are more but my lunchbreak is over so best get back to work.
    Ferguson started in 86 won the FA cup in 89.

Quote Originally Posted by -hoot View Post
    Ferguson started in 86 won the FA cup in 89.

We won it in 1989

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post

We won it in 1989
    Sorry I was thinking 89/90 season.

Got to say, and I can quite put my finger on it, but can't stand leeds (or forest) May be their fans, regardless of any hatred for our 'friends' down the road
    I've disliked Leeds since the Bremner, Giles, Lorimer etc days.

Also the most unimaginative strip in English football.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    woah sheff wednesday.. then too and nottingham forest , get them back up and leeds....someone else who hates the mancs
    sunderland look done to me..

hull will survive......
    Marco Silva affect?
    Hmm...looks do-able but i don know mate.

If he can pull that off,credit to him.

I think Wednesday will be move up in the next few years.
    They are again lurking in and around that 6th place,missed it last season by losing to Hull.

New Thai owners as well to give them some impetus.

a club with that level of fanbase should be top flight.... another great potential investment for anyone....

Quote Originally Posted by Rollertoaster View Post
    Marco Silva affect?
    Hmm...looks do-able but i don know mate.

If he can pull that off,credit to him.

I think Wednesday will be move up in the next few years.
    They are again lurking in and around that 6th place,missed it last season by losing to Hull.

New Thai owners as well to give them some impetus.
    markovic and ranocchia boost also..........2 quality footballers... on the basis of what he has produced for them so far markovic deserves to be called quality... he has been for them so far

markovic and ranocchia boost also..........2 quality footballers... on the basis of what he has produced for them so far markovic deserves to be called quality... he has been for them so far
    I see...good times ahead then,glad that Ferguson minion Bruce isn't there anymore.

Up:
    Newcastle
    Huddersfield
    S. Wednesday
    Down:
    Hull
    Sunderland
    Leicester

a club with that level of fanbase should be top flight.... another great potential investment for anyone....
    meh, no thanks.

If they were such big clubs they wouldn't have festered down the leagues for as long as they have.

I'm hoping Villa get relegated again. They are only 8 points above the zone.