Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364
Results 1,891 to 1,917 of 1917

Thread: Top 4 - what's yer thoughts about our chances now?

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Job done!
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

We did it with a mid-table team as well.

The champ----ions - Dee Dee da da

That's the CL jingle FYI

I think we'll make top four

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    I think we'll make top four
    We did!

Arsenal and Arsene Whinger have Thursday football to look forward to. Guess he wasn't complaining when the bitters lay down in front of them.
    Last edited by Kloppsstars; 21-5-17 at 17:19.

Mission accomplished!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    The champ----ions - Dee Dee da da

That's the CL jingle FYI
    Let's get through the qualifying round first before we start singing.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    This thread is the top 4 thread for this season. So yeah, celebrate and sing! We done it.

The CL qualifying thread, well that is a different matter...
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

I'm hoping in the play offs we draw someone obscure like CSKA East Prussia 68.

davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Agree, I will be happy to get someone I have never heard of.

Hopefully this has a positive influence on the calibre of player we sign in the summer.

Didn't they once knock Everton out of Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Didn't they once knock Everton out of Europe?
    Who hasn't?

We've only gone and done it, not bad for a load of deadwood. .

Yeah, so it's not a trophy, but getting top 4 in Klopp's first full season is an excellent achievement especially considering the injuries and lack of squad depth.

I'm still really buzzing after the result today.
    Well done to Klopp and all the players.

We should be able to attract quality players also we need to get our transfer business done before the qualifiers....
    Van dijk
    Keita
    Mbappe
    Sessengion (Fulham)

Well some of my predictions that came true,

Said Arsenal wouldn't make top 4 this season worst team in a long time

Said that United wouldn't make top for either as they're a team in progress didn't expect them now to win any trophies

Surprised that's City only got third as I thought there had enough firepower the challenge Chelsea

Surprised the Tottenham got second as I didn't think they had a great transfer window, think they're becoming the new arsenal capable of challenging the top 4 but not winning anything

Surprised and upset that we didn't get top 3 but like I've been saying all season we haven't got the squad and the young players not even ready

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post

Said that United wouldn't make top for either as they're a team in progress didn't expect them now to win any trophies

Surprised that's City only got third as I thought there had enough firepower the challenge Chelsea

Surprised the Tottenham got second as I didn't think they had a great transfer window, think they're becoming the new arsenal capable of challenging the top 4 but not winning anything

Surprised and upset that we didn't get top 3 but like I've been saying all season we haven't got the squad and the young players not even ready
    Yeah, we ain't there yet.

Good to see you back, BH.

Winning the Europa League looked like such an easy way to get CL. Watching Manchester United walk home with it versus an Ajax side full of toddlers. We lost our easy game versus Sevilla last time around, but I think if we fall in the league, CL via EL is there for us, still.

Quote Originally Posted by LChristina View Post
    Winning the Europa League looked like such an easy way to get CL. Watching Manchester United walk home with it versus an Ajax side full of toddlers. We lost our easy game versus Sevilla last time around, but I think if we fall in the league, CL via EL is there for us, still.
    As soon as Sevilla progressed in the CL and weren't in Europa, it was all over as a competition for United. Sevilla would have been tough for United.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    As soon as Sevilla progressed in the CL and weren't in Europa, it was all over as a competition for United. Sevilla would have been tough for United.
    Deffo needed a tough Spanish side, and the mancs did ride their luck a bit against Celta Vigo but all in all that Ajax were in the final and one of their toughest opponents doesn't speak well. Always felt, and still do, that a side should defend its trophy even if rules conspire to make that difficult eg finish top 4 or win EL = not in EL next season.

In their knockout run they won only two matches by more than one goal and drew three requiring extra time against Anderlecht. Not as if they were that convincing in the groups with two losses and a narrow 1-0 win over the side finished bottom and didn't win a game.

I guess the bottom line is the CL drains any quality out of the EL, but then the reward for what's left in EL is to go into the CL. May as well scrap the EL and just have more qualifying rounds to a CL, after all if you dump all the 'for TV' rounds ie those just used to pad the competition out a bit, you can reduce 128 to 64 with just two games, and halve any amount easily and more quickly. The groups waste time playing 12 games to reduce 4 to 2 when 4 games would do the job just as well.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    This = Champions League

Man. United

Matches:

15 September 2016
    Group Stage
    FEYENOORD 1-0 MAN. UNITED

29 September 2016
    Group Stage
    MAN. UNITED 1-0 ZORYA

20 October 2016
    Group Stage
    MAN. UNITED 4-1 FENERBAH«E

03 November 2016
    Group Stage
    FENERBAH«E 2-1 MAN. UNITED

24 November 2016
    Group Stage
    MAN. UNITED 4-0 FEYENOORD

08 December 2016
    Group Stage
    ZORYA 0-2 MAN. UNITED

16 February 2017
    MAN. UNITED 3-0 ST-…TIENNE

22 February 2017
    ST-…TIENNE 0-1 MAN. UNITED
    agg: 0-4 Man. United go through

09 March 2017
    ROSTOV 1-1 MAN. UNITED

16 March 2017
    MAN. UNITED 1-0 ROSTOV
    agg: 2-1 Man. United go through

13 April 2017
    Quarter-finals
    ANDERLECHT 1-1 MAN. UNITED

20 April 2017
    Quarter-finals
    MAN. UNITED 2-1 ANDERLECHT
    agg: 3-2 Man. United win after extra time

04 May 2017
    Semi-finals
    CELTA 0-1 MAN. UNITED

11 May 2017
    Semi-finals
    MAN. UNITED 1-1 CELTA
    agg: 2-1 Man. United go through

24 May 2017
    Final
    AJAX 0-2 MAN. UNITED

What a joke.

SouthernRob is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post

Not sure where you get Arsenal not winning anything from - in the last few years they've won 2 FA Cups, 2 Community Shields and may well win another FA Cup on Saturday

Spurs may well not win anything, but Arsenal certainly can't be accused of that

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRob View Post
    Not sure where you get Arsenal not winning anything from - in the last few years they've won 2 FA Cups, 2 Community Shields and may well win another FA Cup on Saturday

Spurs may well not win anything, but Arsenal certainly can't be accused of that
    Could be a big chance for them next season though - I don't think playing at Wembley will help them in the league but if they go far in the cups it could be an advantage to feel more at home.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Could be a big chance for them next season though - I don't think playing at Wembley will help them in the league but if they go far in the cups it could be an advantage to feel more at home.
    I think it will be much tougher for Spurs next season - United will SURELY improve, we are going to as well; City too

Do you think Spurs will get even better? Kane surely has reached his peak - albeit a VERY high one

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRob View Post
    I think it will be much tougher for Spurs next season - United will SURELY improve, we are going to as well; City too

Do you think Spurs will get even better? Kane surely has reached his peak - albeit a VERY high one
    I absolutely believe they can. They're a young squad, even if nothing else they can gain a lot of experience before they start declining. They're a stronger outfit than they were last season, and this season will have strengthened the group mentality further.

But I do think the change of stadium could be a real handicap.

I know you don't mate, but I really rate their squad - the core group is strong and flexible, and Poch knows what he's at and has been working with most of them for a couple of years + now - so they're now able to play a few different formations quite effectively despite not having huge numbers.

If they have a better window than last summer, or even if a couple of last years signings can start to come to the fore, and they can keep hold of their better players - definitely they can continue improving.

Tbf, they don't really need to get much better anyway. No doubt United will throw huge sums at high level players, but they've got much more to do. They've found progress in the league very expensive and slow so far.

Of course it's a massive challenge for Spurs to compete with that level of spending and pulling power, but if they were staying at WHL I'd be backing them to finish above United next season. Again.
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; 25-5-17 at 14:24.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    I absolutely believe they can. They're a young squad, even if nothing else they can gain a lot of experience before they start declining. They're a stronger outfit than they were last season, and this season will have strengthened the group mentality further.

But I do think the change of stadium could be a real handicap.

I know you don't mate, but I really rate their squad - the core group is strong and flexible, and Poch knows what he's at and has been working with most of them for a couple of years + now - so they're now able to play a few different formations quite effectively despite not having huge numbers.

If they have a better window than last summer, or even if a couple of last years signings can start to come to the fore, and they can keep hold of their better players - definitely they can continue improving.

Tbf, they don't really need to get much better anyway. No doubt United will throw huge sums at high level players, but they've got much more to do. They've found progress in the league very expensive and slow so far.

Of course it's a massive challenge for Spurs to compete with that level of spending and pulling power, but if they were staying at WHL I'd be backing them to finish above United next season. Again.
    Oh I certainly rate their team - it's hard not to now they have finished on 86 points. Not too sure about the squad; they were pretty lucky with injuries; I'm not sure they would have coped with extended runs without their 3 or 4 best players like we had to

Next season is going to be so tough for all the top 6 - we all finished the season so strongly

Last 10 games:
    Chelsea 2 losses
    Spurs 1 loss
    City 1 loss
    Liverpool 1 loss
    Arsenal 2 losses
    United 2 losses
    Last edited by SouthernRob; 25-5-17 at 16:36.