Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Spurs 1st XI much better than LFC 1st 11

Quote Originally Posted by mayofc2000 View Post
    People make mistakes. They signed lloris for 9m same as what we signed Mignolet for. They signed Vertonghen and Alderwald for 23m GBP and we signed lovren alone for 20m. They signed Ali of 4m GBP and we let him slip. They signed Kyle walker for less than half what we paid for Clyne and he is far better. They signed Wanyama for GBP 12m and he is a better DM than henderson who we signed for 18m. They signed eriksen for 13m and we signed lallana for 25m. Yes Jansen seems like a flop at the moment but i will give him one more season. Also thinking they wont make their money back on him is short sighted. They could easily loan him out and if he has a good season they can make their money back. Sissoko was a bad and panic signing. Fact is spurs have a much better transfer policy than we do and they even spend less on wages. The FSG model can work we just need the right scouts and manager and i believe klopp is the man
    I agree with this.

If you throw in a similar spine albeit better quality into the Liverpool side, you'll see Liverpool wipe the floor with Spurs. Why? Spurs may have that better spine at the moment, but do they have the necessary x factor that Mane, Coutinho and Firmino have?

I also disagree with the Alli better than Lallana debate. In my honest opinion, Adam Lallana is the best English attacking midfielder in the league. His performances prior to injury proved that. He produced his best return since his Southampton days.

Jurgen Klopps Liverpool will evolve, they will become stronger. Man City will become stronger when Pep signs reinforcements and signs Pep players in the spine of his team. Attacking wise, he's signed players on another level to Spurs in Gabriel Jesus and Leroy Sane. Mourinho will build a Mourinho side that will be in his own image. It isn't as of yet, and nowhere near it. Zlatan admitted as much. Spurs on the the other hand will stand still. There is very little room for improvement. This is to do with both the style of play of the manager, the clubs ambition, and their wage structure.

Anyone will be theirr mortgage will bet that Jurgen Klopp will build a team of champions long before Pochettino does.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by mayofc2000 View Post
    I always excluded Mane and Coutinho. The two of them will definitely walk into the spurs team. I believe Klopp created a system to suit firmino. At dortmund he played with Lewandoski, Barrios and Aubameyang. He likes a proper CF who works hard as well. So Kane will suit our team well. I think where it becomes a bit more debatable is Lallana vs Dembele or henderson vs Wanyama. All in all we will agree to disagree but i respect your opinion. I hope we get 3rd position this season though
    I hope we do as well. You're absolutely right Klopp signed Barrios who is a very typical centre forward and Lewandowski shares some similarities with Kane but Spurs play slower than we do. Lewandowski drifted left a lot (being left footed) and Dortmund often played with Gotze or Reus left to come inside.

Kane drifting right with Mane inside would work but Kane isn't great in wide areas. Certainly much less effective than Lewandowski and Aubameyang. Spurs full backs provide the threat wide. When you consider our left side with Coutinho coming inside, Milner right footed I think Kane is excellent but I think we'd massively lose the quality Firmino brings when switching left from centre.

That creates space for Mane and Lallana. Just my opinion, certainly not fact and you may be right to disagree. I think Spurs first XI in stronger now but they haven't beaten us this season and I can imagine when Klopp has finished shaping our side we'll be above them.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    I hope we do as well. You're absolutely right Klopp signed Barrios who is a very typical centre forward and Lewandowski shares some similarities with Kane but Spurs play slower than we do. Lewandowski drifted left a lot (being left footed) and Dortmund often played with Gotze or Reus left to come inside.

Kane drifting right with Mane inside would work but Kane isn't great in wide areas. Certainly much less effective than Lewandowski and Aubameyang. Spurs full backs provide the threat wide. When you consider our left side with Coutinho coming inside, Milner right footed I think Kane is excellent but I think we'd massively lose the quality Firmino brings when switching left from centre.

That creates space for Mane and Lallana. Just my opinion, certainly not fact and you may be right to disagree. I think Spurs first XI in stronger now but they haven't beaten us this season and I can imagine when Klopp has finished shaping our side we'll be above them.
    He's predominantly right footed.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    He's predominantly right footed.
    I meant to type able to use his left and thinking Kane predominantly right footed but that's what happens after bank hol weekend

If you take a look at Spurs Alli and Kane are superb with balls into the box. Both 6ft 2. Eriksen and Rose are the best players at Spurs in terms of crossing. Eriksen taking up that inside right position as Walker races down flank means he can cross from shorter distance and be more accurate.

That suits Spurs as Kane even if he makes a run to his stronger right side can drag centre back and leave Alli against a smaller full back.

When Rose crosses they both can occupy a centre back each. That's why I question their ability to increase productivity.

If you take a look at Spurs Alli and Kane are superb with balls into the box. Both 6ft 2. Eriksen and Rose are the best players at Spurs in terms of crossing. Eriksen taking up that inside right position as Walker races down flank means he can cross from shorter distance and be more accurate.

That suits Spurs as Kane even if he makes a run to his stronger right side can drag centre back and leave Alli against a smaller full back.

When Rose crosses they both can occupy a centre back each. That's why I question their ability to increase productivity.
    Coach.

Can you do a piece on the x factor that we posess that maybe they don't to some degree. I'm a firm believer that we've a better front 4 than they do when ours are fully fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Coach.

Can you do a piece on the x factor that we posess that maybe they don't to some degree. I'm a firm believer that we've a better front 4 than they do when ours are fully fit.
    Spurs are very effective. Alli is narrow so they invite teams down their left and that creates space behind opposition full back for Rose when they counter and inside right for Eriksen. It's effective because they have a solid base of four with two holding with two centre backs.

It's not special, the players are not special just a good design. Our system currently is much more attractive, exciting and has more potential but also has some faults. We have more potential to vary our tactics and that will be the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRob View Post
    Who said anything about this season? I said Ive seen nothing to show that they can get to 80+ points in the foreseeable future, nothing to show that they are working towards that at all

And again, apart from the freak season last year, I don't think that they can compete

As for us - we do have a better chance than Spurs, I firmly believe that - which kinda debunks this entire thread and a lot of what is written in it
    Have you seen anything yet?

SouthernRob is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Have you seen anything yet?
    Yeah I said all along that if they get Champions League 2 seasons in a row then that's a sure sign of progress - they've done that for sure so yes, certainly progressing well

But let's not get carried away, they last won the league nearly 60 years ago, last won the FA Cup nearly 30 years ago, last won a European trophy 33 years ago, and last won the League Cup back in 2007/08 - another season without a trophy isn't good in anyone's book

They've finally finished above Arsenal so a minor achievement there but surely only a 'decent' season? Would I be happy with their season as a Liverpool fan? Yeah probably, but only because of our appalling recent record

Yeah I said all along that if they get Champions League 2 seasons in a row then that's a sure sign of progress - they've done that for sure so yes, certainly progressing well

But let's not get carried away, they last won the league nearly 60 years ago, last won the FA Cup nearly 30 years ago, last won a European trophy 33 years ago, and last won the League Cup back in 2007/08 - another season without a trophy isn't good in anyone's book

They've finally finished above Arsenal so a minor achievement there but surely only a 'decent' season? Would I be happy with their season as a Liverpool fan? Yeah probably, but only because of our appalling recent record
    What has any of that to do with how good a team they are now? Except in respect of the fact that lack of historical success means they're even less of a draw for players than we are. As you say, for years they've not even been the biggest draw in North London. Hasn't stopped them building a much better team than Arsenal.

What has any of that to do with how good a team they are now? Except in respect of the fact that lack of historical success means they're even less of a draw for players than we are.
    Agree. Bottling it has been their recent problem, but they've a good set of players and not many bought at extortionate prices. Whether they can push on is the biggest question, not what they have or haven't done for 20, 40 or 60 years.

After all the mancs won diddly for decades then hit the big time, and before them a certain team close to our hearts got relegated and then bounced back bigger, stronger, and dominant. Football may be boring from the point of view some clubs win trophies for years and years, but it would be incredibly boring if it stayed the same for decades and decades with nothing new happening.

And we haven't won the league title since 1989/90, does that mean we never will again...........?
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Agree. Bottling it has been their recent problem, but they've a good set of players and not many bought at extortionate prices. Whether they can push on is the biggest question, not what they have or haven't done for 20, 40 or 60 years.

After all the mancs won diddly for decades then hit the big time, and before them a certain team close to our hearts got relegated and then bounced back bigger, stronger, and dominant. Football may be boring from the point of view some clubs win trophies for years and years, but it would be incredibly boring if it stayed the same for decades and decades with nothing new happening.

And we haven't won the league title since 1989/90, does that mean we never will again...........?
    They're certainly moving forward.

Last season they bottled their last few games to finish meekly in 3rd. This season they're finishing very strongly.

CL this season was a bit of a no-show, but they still coupled a European campaign with a strong domestic season so they'll be back in it next season and probably better prepared. That's no small achievement.

From the top 4 being close to set in stone Spurs have absolutely broken through - only them and City look like making it in consecutive seasons and City are still a long way from home.

What has any of that to do with how good a team they are now? Except in respect of the fact that lack of historical success means they're even less of a draw for players than we are. As you say, for years they've not even been the biggest draw in North London. Hasn't stopped them building a much better team than Arsenal.
    Because it's a continued lack of success. They have built a single team that is better than Arsenal's worse team, worst season, in 20+ years - that's the carried away part. It's decent but nothing that special

Because it's a continued lack of success. They have built a single team that is better than Arsenal's worse team, worst season, in 20+ years - that's the carried away part. It's decent but nothing that special
    Eh? Surely against that backdrop their rise is more remarkable not less? It's exactly the same issue we face - most players we'd want to sign weren't born the last time we won the league and weren't playing the last time we won a major trophy. Players would rather go elsewhere until we both can prove we're winners.

They should have finished above Arsenal last season but a young squad didn't have the mental strength to achieve even that. This season they've confirmed their superiority quite emphatically.

Only themselves and, maybe, City can achieve consecutive top 4 finishes over the last 2 seasons - everyone else has struggled to match their consistency and improvement.

I don't know why you're so reluctant to recognise a good job being well done, you're among friends.

They're certainly moving forward.

Last season they bottled their last few games to finish meekly in 3rd. This season they're finishing very strongly.

CL this season was a bit of a no-show, but they still coupled a European campaign with a strong domestic season so they'll be back in it next season and probably better prepared. That's no small achievement.

From the top 4 being close to set in stone Spurs have absolutely broken through - only them and City look like making it in consecutive seasons and City are still a long way from home.
    But let's not pretend that is all about Spurs coming in to spoil the top 4 party - it's more about how the established top 4 have had major problems

United had 22 seasons in the top 4 - then the wheels came off
    Chelsea had 12 of 13 seasons in the top 4 then the wheels came off
    Arsenal had 20 seasons of top 4, now the wheels have come off

Spurs have simply been in a good position to take advantage of that - credit to them for that; but it's not Spurs elbowing their way into top 4 at the expense of one of the established top 4 at all

Eh? Surely against that backdrop their rise is more remarkable not less? It's exactly the same issue we face - most players we'd want to sign weren't born the last time we won the league and weren't playing the last time we won a major trophy. Players would rather go elsewhere until we both can prove we're winners.

They should have finished above Arsenal last season but a young squad didn't have the mental strength to achieve even that. This season they've confirmed their superiority quite emphatically.

Only themselves and, maybe, City can achieve consecutive top 4 finishes over the last 2 seasons - everyone else has struggled to match their consistency and improvement.

I don't know why you're so reluctant to recognise a good job being well done, you're among friends.
    I have done - they are doing a good job, no doubt - but even Spurs fans would admit that it's a decent job at this stage; they've still won nothing

But let's not pretend that is all about Spurs coming in to spoil the top 4 party - it's more about how the established top 4 have had major problems

United had 22 seasons in the top 4 - then the wheels came off
    Chelsea had 12 of 13 seasons in the top 4 then the wheels came off
    Arsenal had 20 seasons of top 4, now the wheels have come off

Spurs have simply been in a good position to take advantage of that - credit to them for that; but it's not Spurs elbowing their way into top 4 at the expense of one of the established top 4 at all
    Eh? Let's not pretend that 80+ points is absolutely worthy of a top 4 finish in any season?

What are you even saying anyway? The league is about who's best that season - last season they were 3rd this season 2nd. Its odds on that they'll be contending again next season, they're very much one of the big 6 now. It's not Spurs fault if other teams are (playing) ****, it's just their job to be better.

We're likely to need a relatively high 73/74/75 to make it, and that includes a lot of points taken from these 'up on bricks' top sides - if anyone is capitalising on their failings it's us.
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; 4-5-17 at 13:38.

Eh? Let's not pretend that 80+ points is absolutely worthy of a top 4 finish in any season?

What are you even saying anyway? The league is about who's best that season - last season they were 3rd this season 2nd. Its odds on that they'll be contending again next season, they're very much one of the big 6 now. It's not Spurs fault if other teams are (playing) ****, it's just their job to be better.
    Spurs are doing well. I just don't like them. I don't know why.

I genuinely feel they will reach their limit this season. I could be wrong but they're in a great moment. Best points tally over past 12 months. I don't like them and it is nothing to do with them being above Liverpool.

Spurs are doing well. I just don't like them. I don't know why.

I genuinely feel they will reach their limit this season. I could be wrong but they're in a great moment. Best points tally over past 12 months. I don't like them and it is nothing to do with them being above Liverpool.
    Yeah, it's pretty clear Rob doesn't like them either.

Nor do I for that matter, but I don't let that cloud my judgment.

Yeah, it's pretty clear Rob doesn't like them either.

Nor do I for that matter, but I don't let that cloud my judgment.
    They're very solid, very effective and in this moment with so much to fight for they have that extra spark. Not sure that will continue. They've done great no doubt. They have a squad almost exclusively of punchable faces.

They're very solid, very effective and in this moment with so much to fight for they have that extra spark. Not sure that will continue. They've done great no doubt. They have a squad almost exclusively of punchable faces.
    I think they've got a really good manager and a talented young squad - their improvement this season has almost entirely come from within, and I can see them improving again.

You've pointed to their inability to sign better players than they've got now to suggest this is their ceiling - I see it the other way. They've got a really strong well balanced team that just needs to grow together. If they can add a bit more support in just a few areas they'd be very strong. If they can get the occasional coup of a signing they might really push on. That could as easily be another Alli as an already established star. They're starting to become the sort of team that might interest higher profile players.

I see them as being about 12 months further along than us atm.

We're likely to need a relatively high 73/74/75 to make it, and that includes a lot of points taken from these 'up on bricks' top sides - if anyone is capitalising on their failings it's us.
    Yes that's all it is about. You keep talking about the big 4 or the big 6; therefore I made the point that the big 4 have had failings which has resulted in their not being a big 4 for a couple of seasons

Spurs are capitalising on there no longer being just 4 teams who get the Champions League places each season, Leicester did as well, and yes, it LOOKS like we are going to be capitalising too

I think they've got a really good manager and a talented young squad - their improvement this season has almost entirely come from within, and I can see them improving again.

You've pointed to their inability to sign better players than they've got now to suggest this is their ceiling - I see it the other way. They've got a really strong well balanced team that just needs to grow together. If they can add a bit more support in just a few areas they'd be very strong. If they can get the occasional coup of a signing they might really push on. That could as easily be another Alli as an already established star. They're starting to become the sort of team that might interest higher profile players.

You're absolutely right, they're further ahead than us. I do see signing better players as a problem for them. They've got plenty of players just under the top level. However they all work great in that system.

I think even if they sign a really high quality player not sure that would benefit the system. We've got obvious positions we can strengthen. I don't see great options for them to.

They're not signing any forwards who will produce more than Kane and Alli. Eriksen is nailed on. Two full backs, centre backs, holding, keeper all really good all hard to displace.

I don't see where they improve in the market. I think tactically Pochettino you could argue could develop the players even more, Alli, Kane could get better but this is a hard working Spurs side and I don't know how many seasons they'll get out of this squad without freshening it up.

You're absolutely right, they're further ahead than us. I do see signing better players as a problem for them. They've got plenty of players just under the top level. However they all work great in that system.

I think even if they sign a really high quality player not sure that would benefit the system. We've got obvious positions we can strengthen. I don't see great options for them to.

They're not signing any forwards who will produce more than Kane and Alli. Eriksen is nailed on. Two full backs, centre backs, holding, keeper all really good all hard to displace.

I don't see where they improve in the market. I think tactically Pochettino you could argue could develop the players even more, Alli, Kane could get better but this is a hard working Spurs side and I don't know how many seasons they'll get out of this squad without freshening it up.
    The chances are they'll struggle to keep that team together anyway. Alli in particular looks destined for bigger things.

I think it's more - the longer they can keep that team together the better, and then how they cope if players leave, not how easily can they sign better.

The chances are they'll struggle to keep that team together anyway. Alli in particular looks destined for bigger things.

I think it's more - the longer they can keep that team together the better, and then how they cope if players leave, not how easily can they sign better.
    Who do you think could leave? A bigger side than Spurs would have to turn a players head but whilst Alli and Kane are great players I don't see too many big clubs keen on inflated English fees.

Spurs have plenty of room to improve their squad though. Son is just ok, Janssen is shocking, Sissoko is poor, they have little cover for their 2 top quality CBs. That's surely 3 or 4 signings away from a very good 14 isn't it?

Spurs have plenty of room to improve their squad though. Son is just ok, Janssen is shocking, Sissoko is poor, they have little cover for their 2 top quality CBs. That's surely 3 or 4 signings away from a very good 14 isn't it?
    Absolutely, Their squad can improve. They have a high level of consistency as it is. I don't think stronger squad will have a significant impact for them. I'm not saying I'm right, on Spurs my dislike them for them is irrational and could well cloud my judgement.

Dier. He's a lego footballer. A stiff centre back, holding and he does odd free kick and fans rave. He looks like a lego, plays like a lego, overrated lego.

Absolutely, Their squad can improve. They have a high level of consistency as it is. I don't think stronger squad will have a significant impact for them. I'm not saying I'm right, on Spurs my dislike them for them is irrational and could well cloud my judgement.

Dier. He's a lego footballer. A stiff centre back, holding and he does odd free kick and fans rave. He looks like a lego, plays like a lego, overrated lego.
    Haha I like that

Who do you think could leave? A bigger side than Spurs would have to turn a players head but whilst Alli and Kane are great players I don't see too many big clubs keen on inflated English fees.
    City, United and Chelsea could all offer very attractive terms. Spurs wage budget is miles behind so the likes of Alli, Kane, Walker, Rose, and Dier might all attract interest even if the big foreign clubs aren't circling.

It's something else Spurs have done well at though - they've not sold anyone they'd rather not have since Bale. It's a large part of how they've managed to progress.

Spurs have a decent squad and the Argentinian equivalent of David Moyes as manager. You compare him to Klopp, Mourinho and Guardiola.

All three have won titles and cups. Pochettino has got to a semi final, that's it, he's never won anything. Atleast Moyes got to a final....once. Spurs and their owners have hit a ceiling that middle sized clubs hit, Everton and Aston Villa's ceiling is 4th to 6th. Spurs ceiling is 2nd-4th. If you compare the potential for success between Liverpool and Spurs. The bets are on that it will be Liverpool and not Spurs taking home the silverware.