Thread: Spurs 1st XI much better than LFC 1st 11

Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    -----------------------Lloris

-Clyne----Alderweirald---Vertonghen----Rose

------------Wanyama------Dembele

---Mane-------------Alli----------Coutinho

---------------------Kane

Just being honest.
    Don't rate Tottenham. very compact, workmanlike, lacking any pace in the attacking players.

Kane relies heavily on service

Alli is very good player to burst into the box and score goals.

But as a technical player with vision and creativity he lacking, the new Frank Lampard
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

It's no secret we have the worst XI of the top 6 (couple years in top 4 will change that). But we're a hard working team, and Klopp has to get massive credit for that.

Spurs finishing above us in recent times suggests they are more consistent and have better balance between attack and defence. I think they are slightly further ahead than us in terms of their development because a) their manager has been there longer and b) their transfer business, overall, has been far better than ours.

Giving Klopp such a long contract might be seen by some as a mistake....*cough Didi Hamann......but this was always going to be a long term project designed to create stability, improvement and a competitive team year on year. A bit like how Spurs have now become.

I rate Pochettino but there is no doubt in my mind we have the better manager. What we need now is to catch up with them in terms of the structure at the club and our business in the transfer market. They may be better equipped to mount a serious title challenge a the moment, but I can't see it lasting.

Either way they are a very well run club with a lot to admire. It's just a shame they are our 'bunny's'

Quote Originally Posted by IFC View Post
    It's no secret we have the worst XI of the top 6 (couple years in top 4 will change that). But we're a hard working team, and Klopp has to get massive credit for that.
    Er how are worst starting 11 compared to the top 6

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Clyne is better than Walker without a doubt.
    Definitely defensively for sure. Funny fans blasted glen johnson for apparently being poor defensively and wanted a defensive minded full back!

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Clyne is better than Walker without a doubt.
    Walker is painfully average, and pretty bad defensively especially. He's quick, that's about it.

Quick comparison with the other teams:

Arsenal: Cech, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Xhaka, Cazorla, Özil, Walcott, Welbeck, Sánchez
    Chelsea: Courtois, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Moses, Kanté, Matić, Alonso, Pedro, Costa, Hazard
    Liverpool: Mignolet, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Lallana, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho
    ManC: Bravo, Sagna, Stones, Otamendi, Kolarov, Kevin De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Silva, Sterling, Agüero, Sané
    ManU: de Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Blind, Herrera, Pogba, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Martial, Ibrahimović
    Spurs: Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Wanyama, Dembélé, Eriksen, Alli, Lamela, Kane

Can our first team be improved upon - of course - but I don't think we are absolutely miles away.

I think the biggest deficiency is actually the quality of players after the first XI. We don't have a great depth of quality under the first XI, whereas I think the other teams do. And of the others , I think the same problem affects Spurs.

Personally Id take our front 3 over anything they've got, matip and clyne..the rest id give to them..

The guy hating on matip - look who matip has next to him and who he has behind him in goal..then look who toby has next to him or verts has next to him and look who they have behind them in goal.

put toby or verts next to lovren and infront of mignolet then picture that..

We could slot the worlds best defender in with lovren and mignolet and trust me...that defender would not look too good...

Matip has been just what we need..get him a solid partner and solid goalie and watch the difference.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by mayofc2000 View Post
    After watching Monday night football and hearing Jami Carragher say spurs have a better first 11 it got me comparing both 11s in my mind and spurs are actually way better. For a starter they take the entire back five. Only real competition is Clyne vs Walker and Walker wins (he starts for England). Harry Kane also definitely takes the striking position ahead of firmino. Mane and Coutinho play the wide positions. In midfield is a bit more difficult. Dembele definitely plays. Ali vs Lallana i think Ali takes it. Henderson over Wanyama.

So the team is Lloris, Walker, Toby, Vertonghen, Rose, Henderson, Ali, Dembele, Coutinho, Mane and Kane, That is 8 spurs players to 3 lfc players.

I believe this is where Klopp should be praised for keeping us very close to them despite the gap in class in players.
    Massively flawed theory doing the "combined XI", doesn't factor in close calls for example Mane might crush his spudz opponent but Rose only edge out his counterpart and you've said yourself Deli Counter edges it over Lallana.
    People will believe what they want to believe

It bugs me when people say Firmino is better than Kane in a 4-3-3 system. Thats just not correct, Harry Kane is better than Firmino in any system as long as they are playing as CF. Firmino playing as a false 9 is Klopp compensating for our lack of CF who can play the way he wants. At Dortmund he had Barrios, Lewandoski and Aubemeyang who were strikers. Kane can close down as well obviously not on the level of firmino but his quality upfront is way ahead of firmino's.

Clyne vs walker is 50-50. Yes defensively he is not great but i dont see constantly get caught out as much as before. He is definitely no Glen Johnson. My issue with Clyne is that in our current system we need him to be great going forward and he is not. Defensively he is 8/10 while going forward he is 6/10. Walker is 6.5/10 defensively but 8.5/10 going forward in my opinion which is why he shades it. However i understand people on here sticking my our player. However other positions like Matip vs Alderweirald, Lallana vs Ali i think its clear for spurs.

I am not criticizing our players just highlighting the work klopp has done when only Mane and Coutinho are guaranteed to start at spurs while they have Lloris, Toby, Vertonghen, Rose, Kane, Ali and possibly dembele will start at ours. This summer we definitely need to get a LB and CB that will be around the same level as Danny Rose and Toby Alderweirald.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Massively flawed theory doing the "combined XI", doesn't factor in close calls for example Mane might crush his spudz opponent but Rose only edge out his counterpart and you've said yourself Deli Counter edges it over Lallana.
    Rose does not edge milner he crushes him at LB
    lloris crushes mignolet
    Toby crushes Matip

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    Er how are worst starting 11 compared to the top 6
    Back four and GK we may as well not even talk about.

Midfield, Henderson Wijnaldum and Lallana. Lallana is the only one who can compete for a spot.
    Then up top It's Manč and Firmino

3 players from our starting XI could maybe get into a team consisting of the best players from the top 6. MAYBE.

Rose does not edge milner he crushes him at LB
    lloris crushes mignolet
    Toby crushes Matip
    Agreed.

Agreed.
    Coutinho crushes Eriksen
    Firmino crushes Kane
    Lallana crushes Son
    Mane crushes Alli
    Clyne crushes Walker

Back four and GK we may as well not even talk about.

Midfield, Henderson Wijnaldum and Lallana. Lallana is the only one who can compete for a spot.
    Then up top It's Manč and Firmino

3 players from our starting XI could maybe get into a team consisting of the best players from the top 6. MAYBE.
    Yeh I reckon Coutinho would be on the bench for Spurs too.

In my opinion the following players would be talked about when selecting a combined top 6 team. They may not all get in but they would all be discussed

Clyne
    Matip
    Lallana
    Firmino
    PHIL
    Mane
    Hendo

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
    In my opinion the following players would be talked about when selecting a combined top 6 team. They may not all get in but they would all be discussed

Clyne
    Matip
    Lallana
    Firmino
    PHIL
    Mane
    Hendo
    If Wij can play like he did against them he would have to be considered too. He certainly made their midfielders look average anyway.

I wouldn't say they have a much better XI, it's slightly better.

They've conceded 12 goals less this season for a reason....

Lloris Walker Aldweireld Vertonghen Rose would all walk in this team....as would Alli and Kane.

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    I'd rather our XI.

Quote Originally Posted by LivapewlDivas View Post
    I wouldn't say they have a much better XI, it's slightly better.

They've conceded 12 goals less this season for a reason....

Lloris Walker Aldweireld Vertonghen Rose would all walk in this team....as would Alli and Kane.
    They didn't have Lovren at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    EXACTLY

Jesus christ give our guys some credit people.. imagine youre a defender and youve got to play next Lovren and infront of Mignolet..

Matip has been class but having to play with a dodgy cb and even dodgier keeper..

imagine a defence of toby/lovren covered by mignolet or verts/lovren covered by mignolet

just imagine that and tell me that wouldnt be shaky...how can you play with migs and NOT be shaky?

Back 4 for Back 4 they wee wee on us but matip didnt get outshone by spurs centre backs in any game we played against them this season..infact bar the odd 1 or 2 games hes been solid..alot of it comes down to who youve got next to you and behind you..

lallana would have a shout too..form wise id take him over ali easily right now..

our attackers must dominate spurs attack in some way otherwise their attack would be dominating the scoring charts for the past year and not ours...they must be doing something right attacking wise atleast.

Defensively we cant compete..that much is true.. god how i envy spurs goalkeeping situation

The worry is does Klopp rate Lovren?

The worry is does Klopp rate Lovren?
    I think it's a classic manager backing his player type of situation. He knows Lovren is the 2nd best CB at the club, which says something, so he has to try and get the best out of him. If that means hyping him up in the media, then that is what he does.

At least I'm hoping that's the answer.

I think it's a classic manager backing his player type of situation. He knows Lovren is the 2nd best CB at the club, which says something, so he has to try and get the best out of him. If that means hyping him up in the media, then that is what he does.

At least I'm hoping that's the answer.
    Do you think he will be replaced in the summer?

Yes, by bringing someone in. He won't go, but if everything goes right, he won't be starting XI.

Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Here we go lets talk up our rivals
    Strange timing for this thread I must admit

Yes, by bringing someone in. He won't go, but if everything goes right, he won't be starting XI.
    Jonathan Tah would be a good replacement or Van Dijk but they want a ridiculous amount of money for him.

Lloris better than Mignolet
    Rose better than milner at LB
    Vertongen better than Lovren
    Alderweirald better than Matip
    Kane better than Firmino

I think that is very much facts. Mane and Coutinho are our two x factor players. the remaining 4 positions are debatable and its 50-50 at the very best. They have better individuals in their first 11 thats a fact
    Makes you wonder how we stuffed them

davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    I think we might even see 2 CB's coming in, you have Sakho leaving and more than likely Lucas [I know he's back up but he has been used a fair bit] and I think he may well even have doubts about Klavan, weather they replace Lovren will be up to how they perform I suppose.

Correct me if I am wrong, I don't think we have lost a league match when the midfield trio of Henderson Gini and Lallana start the match together with mane. Coutinho and Firmino, in a way, just icing on the cake. Starting sturridge and Origi may have the same result, if the other four started. That's just my opinion. And no, I don't think spurs are a better team. In fact, with our full strength squad, the entire premier league are scared stiff of us.