Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Spurs 1st XI much better than LFC 1st 11

Yes we might of got a result against them, but you still think we have a better team than them?

I find it amazing in the space of a week or so most people were saying we have a better side than Spurs, now we have an average squad with a lot of average players in the first team.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    Yes we might of got a result against them, but you still think we have a better team than them?

I find it amazing in the space of a week or so most people were saying we have a better side than Spurs, now we have an average squad with a lot of average players in the first team.
    The problem is we have fans or are either deluded or wont just face reality.

We have somehere saying Matip better than Toby Aldeweriald - nonsense
    Some say Clyne better than walker - why that is not nonsense, walker going forward makes it clear imo
    Milner over danny Rose - Nonsense
    The worst is that they would rather have firmino in our team over Harry Kane. Absolute nonsense

Spurs have a much better first 11 than we do thats a fact

SouthernRob is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by mayofc2000 View Post
    The problem is we have fans or are either deluded or wont just face reality.

We have somehere saying Matip better than Toby Aldeweriald - nonsense
    Some say Clyne better than walker - why that is not nonsense, walker going forward makes it clear imo
    Milner over danny Rose - Nonsense
    The worst is that they would rather have firmino in our team over Harry Kane. Absolute nonsense

Spurs have a much better first 11 than we do thats a fact
    It's not though; at best that's an opinion

When we have our first XI playing, take a look at our results

------------- Mignolet ---------------
    Clyne ---- Matip ----- Lovren ------- Milner
    --- Lallana ---- Henderson -----Wijnaldum
    --- Mane---- Firmino-----Coutinho

The fact is, THAT first XI has performed as good as any team in the league - the results with THAT team are brilliant. Those are the facts - the stats

The problem clearly lies with our first team squad - the minute we disrupt that starting XI we are poor. We can afford to swap a couple of non key players - Mignolet, Milner, maybe Wijnaldum; but lose anyone else and we are in trouble, as we've all seen

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRob View Post

The fact is, THAT first XI has performed as good as any team in the league - the results with THAT team are brilliant. Those are the facts - the stats

The problem clearly lies with our first team squad - the minute we disrupt that starting XI we are poor. We can afford to swap a couple of non key players - Mignolet, Milner, maybe Wijnaldum; but lose anyone else and we are in trouble, as we've all seen
    However player for player spurs take the back 5 and harry kane at least. Dembele and Ali will also definitely make it into our side. Meaning in a starting 11 for spurs and liverpool they get at least 7 players more likely 8 players that my friend is clearly

Spurs' squad is well ahead of ours, as is their spine.

Plus they've generally had a better decade than us.

However player for player spurs take the back 5 and harry kane at least. Dembele and Ali will also definitely make it into our side. Meaning in a starting 11 for spurs and liverpool they get at least 7 players more likely 8 players that my friend is clearly
    Player for player means nothing whatsoever and you're quite aware of that

I wonder how many teams had better player for player than United's title winning team of 2012/13?

Phil Jones
    Jonny Evans
    Anderson
    Lindegaard
    Ashley Young
    Nani
    Welbeck
    Cleveley
    Fletcher
    Kagawa
    Rafael

They had 3 or 4 top quality players only

Player for player means nothing whatsoever and you're quite aware of that

I wonder how many teams had better player for player than United's title winning team of 2012/13?

Phil Jones
    Jonny Evans
    Anderson
    Lindegaard
    Ashley Young
    Nani
    Welbeck
    Cleveley
    Fletcher
    Kagawa
    Rafael

They had 3 or 4 top quality players only
    Of course it does. If they have a better player in most position then generally they will be better unless you have a Suarez, van persie, henry like players who were just head and shoulder above everyone else. We dont. Take mane and coutinho away from our first 11 and spurs will dominate the rest. That is why they are 5 points ahead of us despite having to deal with Europa league and why they have finished ahead of us more often than not in recent sessions.

Of course it does. If they have a better player in most position then generally they will be better unless you have a Suarez, van persie, henry like players who were just head and shoulder above everyone else. We dont. Take mane and coutinho away from our first 11 and spurs will dominate the rest. That is why they are 5 points ahead of us despite having to deal with Europa league and why they have finished ahead of us more often than not in recent sessions.
    No, the reason they are 5 points ahead is simply that our first XI hasn't played together this year and our back up players are far from good enough

Once again, when our first XI (and this is what this thread is about) is playing, we are better than any team in the league on the day

Top managers have always produced results with players who are not the best in their position. Fergie did it for years and Benitez did it for us for a while

Unfortunately that XI has started all of two matches in the league (actually, not even sure about that, the front X is at two matches I didn't look at the keepers).

The biggest issue, looking through the line-ups / results has been missing one of Matip/Lovren/Mane as we are unbeaten with all 3. I'm pretty sure that doesn't surprise anyone since we all know we have poor/no cover for them. Klavan & Lucas clearly aren't good enough for the first team and Mane is the only player we have with threatening pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Unfortunately that XI has started all of two matches in the league (actually, not even sure about that, the front X is at two matches I didn't look at the keepers).

The biggest issue, looking through the line-ups / results has been missing one of Matip/Lovren/Mane as we are unbeaten with all 3. I'm pretty sure that doesn't surprise anyone since we all know we have poor/no cover for them. Klavan & Lucas clearly aren't good enough for the first team and Mane is the only player we have with threatening pace.
    How many times have all 3 played together and who against?

Yes, but like I said, we have a few interchangeable - not much between our keepers; Can and Wijnaldum are fairly swappable, Milner and our dedicated lb Moreno doesn't seem to make an awful lot of difference - that's about it though

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    How many times have all 3 played together and who against?
    10 matches, 5-5-0, 9 ga, 3 clean sheets, draws are Spurs*2, MU, at Soton, WHU; wins were at Chelsea, at Swansea, WBA, at Palace, and Sunderland

2 of those draws should have been wins but for horrible offside (non)calls (at Spurs, MU)

10 matches, 5-5-0, 9 ga, 3 clean sheets, draws are Spurs*2, MU, at Soton, WHU; wins were at Chelsea, at Swansea, WBA, at Palace, and Sunderland

2 of those draws should have been wins but for horrible offside (non)calls (at Spurs, MU)
    Mostly early part of the season when almost all were fresh and playing well?

someone on here said spur's attack was ordinary, yet they are 2 points ahead of us in the table. doesn't really make sense does it? it just goes to show that defence in the premier league has won out for years, the best english sides of the modern era that were consistent top dogs of the CL had a versatile defence.

They're so lucky in la liga that they have a top 3 that are unchallenged. They can just turn up the tempo already quite fresh for the CL and say look we are the best team. I saw someone call man utd a europa league team, I think that goes to show how hard it is to play in the premier league, not just if you are not in the right team or don't have a good team, but to compete on all fronts from the PL. However, what has happened in the PL may be happening in La liga, and may take effect in 2-3 years, attracting the top talent and then the big clubs using feeder clubs. I think we saw a glimpse when spain competed at the euros they struggled with the tempo and lost to italy. I think power will become more shared rather than this dominance eventually.
    Last edited by BLiddellGreates; 20-3-17 at 12:41.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    it just goes to show that defence in the premier league has won out for years.
    Pretty sure it isn't the case. There's always bound to be some correlation between being at the top end of the table and a tight defence, but last time I looked into that kind of thing the team that won the league won the most games more than lost the least, and pretty sure goals scored was more of an influence in league position not goals conceded.

Their attack can be ordinary (overall), that they are only a couple of points ahead of us shows nothing other than a lack of out and out consistency from either side (enough to be a title challenger)
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Pretty sure it isn't the case. There's always bound to be some correlation between being at the top end of the table and a tight defence, but last time I looked into that kind of thing the team that won the league won the most games more than lost the least, and pretty sure goals scored was more of an influence in league position not goals conceded.

Their attack can be ordinary (overall), that they are only a couple of points ahead of us shows nothing other than a lack of out and out consistency from either side (enough to be a title challenger)
    yes you're right premiership midfields have been strong, chelsea, city etc. but other than under mou in '4 and '5 does that have a direct correlation with defences being the strongest compared to all top european sides?

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    someone on here said spur's attack was ordinary, yet they are 2 points ahead of us in the table. doesn't really make sense does it? it just goes to show that defence in the premier league has won out for years, the best english sides of the modern era that were consistent top dogs of the CL had a versatile defence.

They're so lucky in la liga that they have a top 3 that are unchallenged. They can just turn up the tempo already quite fresh for the CL and say look we are the best team. I saw someone call man utd a europa league team, I think that goes to show how hard it is to play in the premier league, not just if you are not in the right team or don't have a good team, but to compete on all fronts from the PL. However, what has happened in the PL may be happening in La liga, and may take effect in 2-3 years, attracting the top talent and then the big clubs using feeder clubs. I think we saw a glimpse when spain competed at the euros they struggled with the tempo and lost to italy. I think power will become more shared rather than this dominance eventually.
    To be honest it seems to be down to a drop in quality from the Premiere league's top dogs, as to why the league is so open. This is evident in the Champions League. The best players in the world play in La Liga, and they all play for the big boys. We'll probably see random seasons, here and there, but while teams slip away, Barcelona and Real Madrid finishing in the top 3 will be the one constant.

that chelsea team of 04-05 were very unique, and perhaps, somewhat freak of nature. to this day, i can still hear the speed of robben and duff, the striking of lampard, the power of drogba, and the formidable defence of terry, carvalho, markelele and tiago.

Spurs' first X! are better than ours at beating crap sides. If we should both meet over two legs in Europe I have no doubt that we would be the team going through. Also, we may yet finish above them in the league. Perhaps we might see then which players make the combined Liverpool/Spurs team.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalTeamFootball View Post
    Spurs' first X! are better than ours at beating crap sides. If we should both meet over two legs in Europe I have no doubt that we would be the team going through. Also, we may yet finish above them in the league. Perhaps we might see then which players make the combined Liverpool/Spurs team.
    Thats the issue -
    maybe we have the more talented players - however, they make mistakes less than we do...
    maybe we have the team spirit and bonding - however, they have the tactical nouse and planning
    Maybe you take our team, with Spurs knowhow

The big difference is they have a settled back 4, ours is always different with matip out injured or Lovren and ther keeper is far better than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    The big difference is they have a settled back 4, ours is always different with matip out injured or Lovren and ther keeper is far better than ours.
    No they dont Toby alderweirald, Jan vertonghen, Danny Rose have all missed significant chunks of the season. They have a better back 5 player for player and they have harry kane who is a natural striker.

No they dont Toby alderweirald, Jan vertonghen, Danny Rose have all missed significant chunks of the season. They have a better back 5 player for player and they have harry kane who is a natural striker.
    Milner is new at lb klavan and matip are new to the Pl this season.

They have adequate replacements in Wimmer and Davies.

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Quote Originally Posted by LivapewlDivas View Post
    They have adequate replacements in Wimmer and Davies.
    Both are terrible.
    "Nobody can beat us!" - Jurgen Klopp. 31/01/2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Thats the issue -
    maybe we have the more talented players - however, they make mistakes less than we do...
    maybe we have the team spirit and bonding - however, they have the tactical nouse and planning
    Maybe you take our team, with Spurs knowhow
    they are better at coming from behind against teams, they came from behind against west ham and won 3-2, we came from behind to draw 2-2. part of that is being able to wear teams down better and keep compact at the same time.

Reading some of the comments on here has made me realize how deluded or biased some are about the quality of our team.

We have some saying Clyne is better than walker, Matip better than Toby Alderewald, Firmino better than Kane, Milner better than Rose. All nonsense. Spurs have a better back 5. I will also take Ali, Dembele in our team.

Tottenham how they play

Deep defensive line compact in front of the back four, relying on there fullbacks as an outlet, more direct approach football, relying solely on there major goal scorer and relying on people getting the box as fast as possible

Liverpool high defensive line, very attacking , pass and move, press press have many many goal scorers

Tottenham's way of playing I would say about three of their players would walking into are squad

I would say from Liverpool around 5 players would work Tottenham's squad

Quote Originally Posted by Mountstmarys View Post
    that chelsea team of 04-05 were very unique, and perhaps, somewhat freak of nature. to this day, i can still hear the speed of robben and duff, the striking of lampard, the power of drogba, and the formidable defence of terry, carvalho, markelele and tiago.
    Might wanna get that checked out.