Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does how we play matter?

SouthernRob is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Of course I need to be able to remember it - it's about how it made me feel and what memories it left me with. If I can't remember that how can I say if it's better or worse?
    Ok hypothetically would you prefer a season where we play defensively with many 1:0s and win the league, or another season of incredible drama and excitement like 13/14 where we finish 2nd?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRob View Post
    Nobody wants dull football but it's sometimes good to see some top quality defensive play isn't it? We've had some pretty great defensive seasons; do you prefer our 86/87 season when we scored 72 goals and finished top, or our 13/14 season when we scored 101 goals and finished 2nd?

Ultimately we want the best of everything:

Win
    Play great football
    Do it the right way without spending loads
    Home grown players

But at the moment I would settle for boring 1:0 victories playing dull football after Sheik loadsamoney has ploughed 5 billion into the team with all foreign players
    Came 2nd in 86/87 *cough*

Both, mostly the result I guess - the journey home is always better

Burnley fans went home happy against us this season despite hardly seeing their team touch the ball

Although it's understandably different when a major trophy is up for grabs - of course that's all about the win. But what do you think United fans think about their 99 Champions league final? They spent 89 miserable minutes playing badly and getting outplayed; yet some say it's the best game they have even been to
    Everyone obviously always loves it if you beat a better team, or get away with playing poorly and still win dramatically with a late goal or two.

The point is - would you want your team to play as the underdog all the time, backs to the wall and hope to nick one on the counter before shutting up shop even tighter?

Or would you prefer to see your team have a go and occasionally get caught out?
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; 17-2-17 at 15:18.

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Nobody wants dull football but it's sometimes good to see some top quality defensive play isn't it? We've had some pretty great defensive seasons; do you prefer our 86/87 season when we scored 72 goals and finished top, or our 13/14 season when we scored 101 goals and finished 2nd?

Ultimately we want the best of everything:

Win
    Play great football
    Do it the right way without spending loads
    Home grown players

But at the moment I would settle for boring 1:0 victories playing dull football after Sheik loadsamoney has ploughed 5 billion into the team with all foreign players
    1978–79 was our best defensive season in our history, 42 league matches and we only conceded 16 goals, only 4 goals conceded at home wft! how was that even possible? Ray Clemence kept a total of 28 clean sheets, we also attacked pretty well too scoring 80 goals.

Is this our best title win?

Ok hypothetically would you prefer a season where we play defensively with many 1:0s and win the league, or another season of incredible drama and excitement like 13/14 where we finish 2nd?
    As I said earlier, it's a tough one to answer.

The wins would give me a good feeling but I wouldn't be bothered about watching the games every week. That feels at least a little bit pointless. Hypothetically.

In 13/14 I literally couldn't wait for every game in the second half of the season. Loved it.
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; 17-2-17 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    Came 2nd in 86/87 *cough*
    Yeah sorry, just checked - 83/84 is a better example

Losing is ****. Full stop. The fight to win games is always entertaining. The purpose of sport is to win not look all pretty while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    As I said earlier, it's a tough one to answer.

The wins would give me a good feeling but I wouldn't be bothered about watching the games every week. That feels at least a little bit pointless. Hypothetically.

In 13/14 I literally couldn't wait for every game in the second half of the season. Loved it.
    Are you sure though? 1:0 wins in amongst poor results in an average season aren't good viewing for sure; but 1:0 wins at the top of the league and all the excitement that brings are good to watch aren't they? You enjoyed watching the 1:0s against City and Everton in December this season didn't you? Both ground out victories to some extent

Quote Originally Posted by theamerican00 View Post
    Losing is ****. Full stop. The fight to win games is always entertaining. The purpose of sport is to win not look all pretty while doing it.
    gold star for you

Yeah sorry, just checked - 83/84 is a better example
    A year or two before my time!

davevietnam is offline Academy prospect
    You don't need to remember it though - it was a season where we didn't score many and conceded very few - we won the league
    In principle, would you prefer that season to the crazy rollercoaster season in 13/14 where we played some of the most exciting attacking football you're likely to see.... but finished 2nd?
    Thats an interesting one, I mean I still remember and talk about that display against Arsenal even now [has to be one of the best games I have ever seen], there was plenty of other great displays that season as well, not that its ever likely to happen of course but I ask myself would I give up that season and its memories for a winners medal but with 38 boring games and truth is I dont think I would, I mean I am not getting a medal but I am committing a lot of my time and I am not sure the end justifies the means, or put another way I would get far more pleasure watching 38 exiting football games than Liverpool winning a trophy at the end.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Are you sure though? 1:0 wins in amongst poor results in an average season aren't good viewing for sure; but 1:0 wins at the top of the league and all the excitement that brings are good to watch aren't they? You enjoyed watching the 1:0s against City and Everton in December this season didn't you? Both ground out victories to some extent
    Both incredibly dull games, too.

I'd certainly take a season of boring football if it meant winning the league, but I'd hate for us to play that way all the time. It's supposed to be entertaining, I wouldn't be at all excited abotu watching 10 men behind the ball every week.

No, but you're asking hypothetical questions and I'm saying it's hard to answer.

If our style of play was inherently dull though and week after week we were squeezing the life out of games I think it would turn me off even if we were winning most of them.

That's not the same as us playing entertaining football that doesn't always come off and occasionally you have to grind out a result. Yes, I can still watch and enjoy those games for what they are.

That's a hard question. Like others have said, that good feeling that you get from any victory including 1-0, can last you all week.
    But I also love that feeling when we're playing lovely football and you just watch mesmerized, delighted in the team.
    I guess a season of 1-0 wins and winning the league would beat that though.

Quote Originally Posted by shiny65 View Post
    That's a hard question. Like others have said, that good feeling that you get from any victory including 1-0, can last you all week.
    But I also love that feeling when we're playing lovely football and you just watch mesmerized, delighted in the team.
    Its not hard

Its about being better than the other side, that is competition, that means the result.....

We are not the Harlem Globetrotters Charity act.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Its not hard

Its about being better than the other side, that is competition, that means the result.....

We are not the Harlem Globetrotters Charity act.....
    you'd be the first to say "how f'n dull was that performance, sell them all!!"

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Both incredibly dull games, too.

I'd certainly take a season of boring football if it meant winning the league, but I'd hate for us to play that way all the time. It's supposed to be entertaining, I wouldn't be at all excited abotu watching 10 men behind the ball every week.
    Yeah that's probably the point - whatever it takes to get that long overdue title at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    Thwack!

davevietnam is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny65 View Post
    For me one of the best feelings you can have, edge of your seat not wanting half time, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    For me one of the best feelings you can have, edge of your seat not wanting half time, love it.
    That was pretty much the second half of the 13/14 season. As thrilling a sequence of performances as I can remember in a long time. Couldn't WAIT for the games to come around.

its time for throphies.we played some great football over last couple of years,but no silverware.
    so iam for 1:0(like chelsea does) and throphie

As per usual - way off mark

Quote Originally Posted by mihamiha23 View Post
    its time for throphies.we played some great football over last couple of years,but no silverware.
    so iam for 1:0(like chelsea does) and throphie
    they've scored 2 or 3 league goals less than us this season yet are considered a defensive side

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    As per usual - way off mark
    its not even up for debate, you'll find anything to criticise the team. Boring football would drive you into meltdown.

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    A tactical, well organized counter attacking team with a strong defence or entertainers?

Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    A tactical, well organized counter attacking team with a strong defence or entertainers?
    that's the question being asked yes....

I want us to be consistent winners but in a certain entertaining style, I remember us winning three cups in 2001 and not feeling happy at all with the style of football we played that year under Gerard Houllier which was quite boring to say the least, maybe I've been spoilt growing up through the years watching some beautiful football from the seventies onwards.

Rumours now that Juventus are interested in buying Emre Can from us ......but also in taking Dahoud there too .

Would Dahoud choose us or the Old Lady ? ....hopefully it doesnt come to that choice , his fee will be 8.5 million as his contract runs out in 22 months time .

Any thoughts ?

I would be happy to win anything, anyhow at the moment, it has been so long.

It was our style that made me chose red over blue in the first place though.