Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does how we play matter?

1. #1 Default Does how we play matter? 
    davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Or is winning all that matters. What is important to you.

I occasionally hear comments mainly derogatory when the word entertaining gets mentioned but for me its a vital factor and reason to keep me watching, you also hear comments like I would take 38 1-0 wins, but would you, same as if we had a manager who played really negative anti football but we where still challenging, would it matter to you.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post

I occasionally hear comments mainly derogatory when the word entertaining gets mentioned but for me its a vital factor and reason to keep me watching, you also hear comments like I would take 38 1-0 wins, but would you, same as if we had a manager who played really negative anti football but we where still challenging, would it matter to you.
    Whatever it takes to break our duck. Right now the title is all that counts imo.

SouthernRob is online now Academy prospect
    Winning is everything - took no pleasure at all watching Bournemouth 4:3 Liverpool. HATED IT!

That said, I get to go and watch us 2 or 3 times a season only so I could quite understand the regular match goers needing a bit more than just results

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRob View Post
    Winning is everything - took no pleasure at all watching Bournemouth 4:3 Liverpool. HATED IT!

That said, I get to go and watch us 2 or 3 times a season only so I could quite understand the regular match goers needing a bit more than just results
    Why bother going to a game if you're not even enjoying yourself at 3-1 with 15 minutes to go?

You may well have left on a downer but surely you got some pleasure out of it?

Compare that to a team that just grinds out 1-0 wins and defeats - would you get more enjoyment watching your team lose 0-1 or 3-4? At least with the 3-4 there's some ups to go with the downs and you get an entertaining game.

I always enjoy my trips up to Liverpool from Bristol - however, January wasn't the best month for me to have a little splurge.

Swansea in particular was painful and Wolves was just an abomination

Essentially 3 points are all that matters, although I do not feel as though winning and playing good football should be mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
    I always enjoy my trips up to Liverpool from Bristol - however, January wasn't the best month for me to have a little splurge.

Essentially 3 points are all that matters, although I do not feel as though winning and playing good football should be mutually exclusive.
    It's a difficult question.

I think if we were relentlessly grinding out 1-0's every week playing rigid defensive football I'd enjoy the feeling, but I wouldn't be that fussed about watching the games. What's the point of that?

They aren't, but I think Dave is giving us a choice between winning ugly or losing looking like a million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post

I think if we were relentlessly grinding out 1-0's every week I'd enjoy the feeling, but I wouldn't be that fussed about watching the games. What's the point of that?
    I suppose the prospect of at some point, 1 goal becoming 4 or 5?

I know what you mean

The Houllier era brought plenty of victories, but the games could be terrible to watch.

Rafas teams could also veer towards the unwatchable at times. Made all the more maddening by the 'We controlled the game' mantra.

A loss is a loss, but I'd rather go down in flames on a 4-3 than some of the 1-0 games we lost where we NEVER looked like scoring.

Why bother going to a game if you're not even enjoying yourself at 3-1 with 15 minutes to go?

You may well have left on a downer but surely you got some pleasure out of it?

Compare that to a team that just grinds out 1-0 wins and defeats - would you get more enjoyment watching your team lose 0-1 or 3-4? At least with the 3-4 there's some ups to go with the downs and you get an entertaining game.
    Oh ok, if you put it like that then I got 30 minutes of enjoyment from the game - that's only a tiny bit though compared to the whole week/season's pleasure I get from a dull 1:0 victory

A 3:4 defeat is better than a 0:1 defeat, but that's akin to saying death by firing squad is better than death by burnt alive

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post

You strive for perfection.....
    A great result with the ultimate display......

But the result has to come first, before the display.........

Oh ok, if you put it like that then I got 30 minutes of enjoyment from the game - that's only a tiny bit though compared to the whole week/season's pleasure I get from a dull 1:0 victory

A 3:4 defeat is better than a 0:1 defeat, but that's akin to saying death by firing squad is better than death by burnt alive
    Surely you pay for your ticket to be entertained while you're there though? If it's just about the result why not just check the papers?

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    The Houllier era brought plenty of victories, but the games could be terrible to watch.

Rafas teams could also veer towards the unwatchable at times. Made all the more maddening by the 'We controlled the game' mantra.

A loss is a loss, but I'd rather go down in flames on a 4-3 than some of the 1-0 games we lost where we NEVER looked like scoring.
    You would rather see us embarrassed? Rafa did play some good football as well, people just look at a few dull draws here and there and a 1-0 loss and cloud it over everything.

Rafa's style is nothing like Mourinhos, Simeones or Houlliers, is a well balanced way of play, you attack when you need to you defend when you need to.

Surely you pay for your ticket to be entertained while you're there though? If it's just about the result why not just check the papers?
    Isn't that the beauty of football though? You never quite know what you're going to get. You hope to be entertained but it is also about feeling a part of something and supporting the team.

If you knew for certain it was going to be a bore fest every week you probably wouldn't go.

I suppose the prospect of at some point, 1 goal becoming 4 or 5?

I know what you mean
    The other side of that though is I'm a Liverpool supporter 24/7 but we only play for an hour and a half or 3 hours a week. Regardless of performance the result does affect how I feel - not in an all consuming way, but in the football part of my brain. A scrappy win is always likely to keep you in a better mood than a glorious defeat.

The other side of that though is I'm a Liverpool supporter 24/7 but we only play for an hour and a half or 3 hours a week. Regardless of performance the result does affect how I feel - not in an all consuming way, but in the football part of my brain. A scrappy win is always likely to keep you in a better mood than a glorious defeat.
    Classic escapism for me. Getting off to sleep is so much more easy and enjoyable when we have won.

When we lose I don't want to think about it so am forced to think about life matters.

And no, I am not a complete nutter! Just a little bit

I think if we were relentlessly grinding out 1-0's every week playing rigid defensive football I'd enjoy the feeling, but I wouldn't be that fussed about watching the games. What's the point of that?
    Nobody wants dull football but it's sometimes good to see some top quality defensive play isn't it? We've had some pretty great defensive seasons; do you prefer our 86/87 season when we scored 72 goals and finished top, or our 13/14 season when we scored 101 goals and finished 2nd?

Ultimately we want the best of everything:

Win
    Play great football
    Do it the right way without spending loads
    Home grown players

But at the moment I would settle for boring 1:0 victories playing dull football after Sheik loadsamoney has ploughed 5 billion into the team with all foreign players

For sure, it's different when you're at the game as I originally said

However I concede that I do seem to differ from many in that I would prefer to go and see Liverpool v Watford than to go and see United v Liverpool for example, simply because of the greater probability of a favourable result

Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    You would rather see us embarrassed? Rafa did play some good football as well, people just look at a few dull draws here and there and a 1-0 loss and cloud it over everything.

Rafa's style is nothing like Mourinhos, Simeones or Houlliers, is a well balanced way of play, you attack when you need to you defend when you need to.
    Hence the 'At times', which you missed.

There was some great stuff, and times when it was terrible to watch, sometimes within the space of a week. Rafa looking for the balance between defense and attack was like watching someone tune in a tv, the reception would be near perfect but no, twiddle the knob a bit more and boom! Screen full of static!

Winning 1~0 is important, same is 2~0 or 3~0. The important factor is not to concede. Chelsea , arsenal, Leicester and united won the league by not conceding too many goals. City are exception, they can outscore others. Liverpool 13|14 concede too many. Liverpool 08|09 drew too many.

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    Hence the 'At times', which you missed.

There was some great stuff, and times when it was terrible to watch, sometimes within the space of a week. Rafa looking for the balance between defense and attack was like watching someone tune in a tv, the reception would be near perfect but no, twiddle the knob a bit more and boom! Screen full of static!
    I wish we could equal that era of quality, a very tactically organized set-up, we were a much more serious club 10 years ago, we are still far from reaching that level.

Nobody wants dull football but it's sometimes good to see some top quality defensive play isn't it? We've had some pretty great defensive seasons; do you prefer our 86/87 season when we scored 72 goals and finished top, or our 13/14 season when we scored 101 goals and finished 2nd?

Ultimately we want the best of everything:

Win
    Play great football
    Do it the right way without spending loads
    Home grown players

But at the moment I would settle for boring 1:0 victories playing dull football after Sheik loadsamoney has ploughed 5 billion into the team with all foreign players
    86/87? I can barely remember what I had for lunch.

For sure, it's different when you're at the game as I originally said

However I concede that I do seem to differ from many in that I would prefer to go and see Liverpool v Watford than to go and see United v Liverpool for example, simply because of the greater probability of a favourable result
    Is it for the result though, or because you're expecting a more dominant performance?

86/87? I can barely remember what I had for lunch.
    You don't need to remember it though - it was a season where we didn't score many and conceded very few - we won the league
    In principle, would you prefer that season to the crazy rollercoaster season in 13/14 where we played some of the most exciting attacking football you're likely to see.... but finished 2nd?

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Whatever it takes to break our duck. Right now the title is all that counts imo.
    This is us for now. But if we became a dominant force and played like maureens chelsea, i for one would really start to get annoyed. As crazy as it sounds.

I remember us under gerrard houlier. Despite winning trophies, we were dire in our play. Especially when we had so much talent at one time. Coming out with a wingers playing with our fullbacks was so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    I wish we could equal that era of quality, a very tactically organized set-up, we were a much more serious club 10 years ago, we are still far from reaching that level.
    Different era, we were firmly in the 'big 4' and could count on CL every year.

I'm sure many loved the tactical approach to matches, it used to drive me mad at times, especially against teams where we were blatantly superior yet would try out foxing them rather than blowing them away.

The style of play does matter to me. Winning IS the goal, but the style in which we try to win provides the entertainment.

If we constantly went ultra defensive and parked the bus and tried to hit teams on the counter it just wouldn't be very entertaining for me.

Don't get me wrong though, there are times when we should go more defensive and try to grind out a 1-0 result. But if that was our team identity, it just wouldn't be very pleasing to the eye.

BR's teams played some of the most attractive football ever seen at the Club and came sooo close to winning the league, but they came up short. It was entertaining football, but didn't acheive the ultimate goal.

So what I would like to see is attractive attacking football that is pleasing to the eye, but also knowing when to get a little more defensive when the time calls for it to grind out a result.

You don't need to remember it though - it was a season where we didn't score many and conceded very few - we won the league
    In principle, would you prefer that season to the crazy rollercoaster season in 13/14 where we played some of the most exciting attacking football you're likely to see.... but finished 2nd?
    Of course I need to be able to remember it - it's about how it made me feel and what memories it left me with. If I can't remember that how can I say if it's better or worse?

Is it for the result though, or because you're expecting a more dominant performance?
    Both, mostly the result I guess - the journey home is always better

Burnley fans went home happy against us this season despite hardly seeing their team touch the ball

Although it's understandably different when a major trophy is up for grabs - of course that's all about the win. But what do you think United fans think about their 99 Champions league final? They spent 89 miserable minutes playing badly and getting outplayed; yet some say it's the best game they have even been to

Of course I need to be able to remember it - it's about how it made me feel and what memories it left me with. If I can't remember that how can I say if it's better or worse?
    I think too many people look at this as a black or white thing - Chelsea are considered a defensive side yet they've scored 2 or 3 less league goals than us. Can't imagine Chelsea fans leaving the stadium thinking 'how boring was that?'