Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Games in Hand and Rearranged Matches thread 2016-17

Darrren1 is online now Better tables than DFS
    So the remaining games have all now been announced.

As predicted, the Southampton v Arsenal game will be on the same night as the Champions League. I thought it would be a Q/F match, but instead they've opted to put it on the same night as the semi final 2nd leg.

Can't see too many people wanting to watch Southampton v Arsenal, instead of the 2nd leg of Monaco v Atletico - a gripping encounter between the best attack and the best defence, for a place in the CL final.

The other games, as expected, are all in the final midweek of the season.

MATCH
    ORIGINAL DATE
    REASON FOR POSTPONEMENT
    NEW DATE
    PLAYED
    Man.City v Man.Utd
    Feb 25th
    League Cup Final
    Apr 27th
    Southampton v Arsenal
    Feb 25th
    League Cup Final May 10th
    Chelsea v Watford
    Mar 11th
    FA Cup Q/F
    May 15th
    Crystal Palace v Tottenham Mar 11th
    FA Cup Q/F
    Apr 26th
    Middlesbrough v Sunderland Mar 11th
    FA Cup Q/F Apr 26th
    Southampton v Man.Utd Mar 11th
    FA Cup Q/F
    May 17th
    Arsenal v Leicester Mar 11th
    FA Cup Q/F Apr 26th
    Man.City v Stoke Mar 11th FA Cup Q/F Mar 8th
    Arsenal v Sunderland
    Apr 22nd
    FA Cup S/F
    May 16th
    Chelsea v Southampton Apr 22nd FA Cup S/F Apr 25th
    Leicester v Tottenham Apr 22nd FA Cup S/F May 18th
    Man.City v West Brom Apr 22nd FA Cup S/F May 16th

So the table will finally be tidy and up to date again, after the Leicester v Spurs game on May 18th - 3 days before the final day of the season.

Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Last season you got all happy once the table was all up to date and there would be no more games, then the season got extended because of a fake bomb being found in the toilets three days later.
    YNWA

what a mess, I can understand for the help of me why there are so many teams with games in hand, terrible organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    Last season you got all happy once the table was all up to date and there would be no more games, then the season got extended because of a fake bomb being found in the toilets three days later.
    I remember it well.

It's become typical of Man.Utd in recent times. Games postponed due to fake bombs, games starting late because there's traffic in London (who'd have thought?), games being called off in Asia because of monsoons... it's all their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    what a mess, I can understand for the help of me why there are so many teams with games in hand, terrible organisation.
    It's because we schedule FA Cup Q/Fs and S/Fs on the same weekend as PL matches - leaving teams involved having to play catch up. Same with the EFL Cup final too.

And it doesn't help that UEFA start whining like a baby if you try to play games in hand on a CL night.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrren1 View Post
    It's because we schedule FA Cup Q/Fs and S/Fs on the same weekend as PL matches - leaving teams involved having to play catch up. Same with the EFL Cup final too.

And it doesn't help that UEFA start whining like a baby if you try to play games in hand on a CL night.
    This is all very good but do other leagues don't have the same problem?

This is all very good but do other leagues don't have the same problem?
    Well for starters we have 2 cups, which doesn't help.

In countries like Spain, as I'm sure you're aware, they play their cup games midweek, and so they don't interfere with the league programme.

In countries like Spain, as I'm sure you're aware, they play their cup games midweek, and so they don't interfere with the league programme.
    Other countries have also two cups, France for example.

Yeah, they're in the minority though.

I'm not sure what France do with their fixtures, maybe I'll have a look at some point.

I'm not sure what France do with their fixtures, maybe I'll have a look at some point.
    The league cup was ages ago though, I
    Can't believe this is the reason behind this mess

The league cup was ages ago though, I
    Can't believe this is the reason behind this mess
    I think while we're playing the early rounds of our League Cup, other countries like Spain and Italy are playing a full league programme.

So when it gets to this stage of the season, instead of playing rearranged games midweek, we have a full PL programme to catch up (like when we played Bournemouth last week).

So I think it's part of the explanation.

games being called off in Asia because of monsoons... it's all their fault.
    Good thing it wasn't a UEFA competition, otherwise they would e mail Man Utd to tell them they have decided the game has been re arranged for five hours after the original kick off time, and they have no choice in the matter as it has to be played that time, there's no other possible times or dates.

They have to go to North London two weeks running, the second one the last ever game at White Hart Lane. That will probably be delayed, Mourinho complaining he didn't realise there would be more traffic then the previous week. They point out to him his players should know what it's like in a last game at a stadium as it happened at Upton Park the previous season, and that the reason there was less traffic for the Arsenal game was because he got there four hours before kick off in order to join in the Wenger Out protest marches. Then he will pull that face, join in, no. I started it, they joined me.

This is all very good but do other leagues don't have the same problem
    The only other leagues I can think that have two cups are Scotland and France. Scotland don't have the problems of teams still in Europe, so can have games on European dates even though UEFA don't like it. The Hibs and Hearts replay this season was played on date of European games, same last season I think when they had a replay. If one of them was in Europe the game couldn't be played then.

France, I'm not sure, maybe they don't have replays in their main cup. Monaco got to the League Cup Final and are in French Cup and still in Europe, so if they have games called off for same reasons, they will have limited dates to re arrange fixtures, although saying that their league table is nice and neat. 32 games played apart from four teams on 31. League Cup Finalists PSG and Monaco are two of them, so their main cup must not have replays and doesn't clash with league games or has not yet. The League Cup Final obviously fell during league games, which is why Monaco and PSG have played a game less, and obviously the other two teams would have been their opponents that week.
    YNWA

And a mid season break. Our PL season is run with the sole intention of money making:

*For TV companies

* For PL

* For FA

* For club owners

But not I would suggest for the benefit of teams and managers or fans.

This is the key thing here, I think. I know traditions are important, so I can see keeping the FA 3rd round games on the 1st weekend in Jan, but to have up to the 1/4-finals on weekends is a bug-bear.

Times have changed, and for a multitude of reasons, people have more interest in the League than the Fa cup - and this goes for Clubs/Mgrs also...and I'd argue that the FA letting the defending holders (ManU) "opt-out" 15 years ago also were the ones that started the indifference.

Why not have the cup games stay Saturday and Sunday, but move the league games for that week to midweek and if possible have the fixtures close proximity, so there's no long travel.

Having cup games midweek you could end up getting something like Newcastle v Plymouth 8pm on a Wednesday night, although you can still get that in replays and League Cup.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    And a mid season break. Our PL season is run with the sole intention of money making:

*For TV companies

* For PL

* For FA

* For club owners

But not I would suggest for the benefit of teams and managers or fans.
    Yes but surely no having mid-season break should help to organise the schedule better, right? I mean you have more time to play the games.

Quote Originally Posted by spikop View Post
    This is the key thing here, I think. I know traditions are important, so I can see keeping the FA 3rd round games on the 1st weekend in Jan, but to have up to the 1/4-finals on weekends is a bug-bear.

Times have changed, and for a multitude of reasons, people have more interest in the League than the Fa cup - and this goes for Clubs/Mgrs also...and I'd argue that the FA letting the defending holders (ManU) "opt-out" 15 years ago also were the ones that started the indifference.
    I think one of the big differences is the fact we devote a whole week to replays in the FA Cup.

In the 4th round this year, out of 16 matches there was only 1 draw (Derby v Leicester) so about 11 days later they played the only replay and there was nothing else going on all week.

Same with the 5th round - only 1 draw from 8 matches (Huddersfield v Man.City) which meant the replay week was a week off for everyone, bar those 2 sides.

This contributes to the problem later in the season, when the fixtures are getting stacked up.

If you didn't have replay weeks, you could bring forward all 10 PL fixtures from the FA Cup Q/F weekend to a 'replay week' in February, leaving the QFs to be played that weekend on their own, with no PL games, and no postponements.

That would keep things tidier.

Personally though, I don't want to lose the League Cup or FA Cup replays. And I want to keep FA Cup matches on weekends.

By far the easiest option would be to stop allowing UEFA to tell us when we can and cannot schedule our games. That would instantly eliminate all these fixture-congestion issues.

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect

Spanish Cup is two legs though isn't it? same with Italy? extra game per round for them.

Having a winter break too and they still have played the same amount of league games as the PL this season so far and all teams have played the same amount of fixtures bar Real who went to the world club cup thing
    Last edited by KoppityKloppity; 13-4-17 at 22:17.

Quote Originally Posted by KoppityKloppity View Post
    Spanish Cup is two legs though isn't it? same with Italy? extra game per round for them.

Having a winter break too and they still have played the same amount of league games as the PL this season so far and all teams have played the same amount of fixtures bar Real who went to the world club cup thing
    Yeah it's 2 legs - the tops sides play 4 rounds in the Copa del Rey before the final (which is after the league season has finished, on the same day as our FA Cup final), so that's 8 matches.

On the other hand, our top sides could play 6 games in the EFL cup and 5 games in the FA Cup, before the final. And three of those could go to replays - meaning a possible total of 14 games.

So that's quite a difference - allowing space for 14 cup games during the season, compared to 8 - due to having 2 cup competitions and replays in 1 of them.

So that's quite a difference - allowing space for 14 cup games during the season, compared to 8 - due to having 2 cup competitions and replays in 1 of them.
    We need a League 1 team to win one of the cups, make Europa League and stay in League 1, go far in the following seasons FA Cup with all replays possible and having to start from Round 1, League Cup, Football League Trophy and make knock out stages of Europa so can't have games played on European days.

Someone should try that on one of them manger games or FIFA, keep restarting the game if you don't get the result needed until you do and then save. They will either have to play three days running or the season will end after the next one has started. Also they finish in the play off places in the league too
    YNWA

We need a League 1 team to win one of the cups, make Europa League and stay in League 1, go far in the following seasons FA Cup with all replays possible and having to start from Round 1, League Cup, Football League Trophy and make knock out stages of Europa so can't have games played on European days.

Someone should try that on one of them manger games or FIFA, keep restarting the game if you don't get the result needed until you do and then save. They will either have to play three days running or the season will end after the next one has started. Also they finish in the play off places in the league too
    How many games do you reckon they might have to play? 80?

So it would be 49 league games (including play-offs).

Up to 13 games in the FA Cup.

Up to 6 games in the EFL Cup.

Up to 19 games in the EL.

So that's 87 already.

Not sure of the format of the EFL Trophy - maybe another 13 games?

So that would be 100!

Oh and if it was the FA Cup that they'd won the year before, there would be the Community Shield too.

46 League Games plus 3 play off 49

Round 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 of FA Cup and replays so 59

Quarter, Semi and Final so 62.

League Cup 3, 4, 5, two Semi Final and Final, so 68

If they won League Cup to get into Europe, I think it's two play off rounds for Europa so 72.

6 Group games 78.

Round of 32, 16, quarter and semi finals two leg, 86.

Final is 87.

Then however the format of Football League Trophy is.
    YNWA

So the clear-up operation is well underway, with 4 of the last 11 outstanding games now played. Just 7 to go...

MATCH
    ORIGINAL DATE
    REASON FOR POSTPONEMENT
    NEW DATE
    PLAYED
    Man.City v Man.Utd
    Feb 25th
    League Cup Final
    Apr 27th
    Southampton v Arsenal
    Feb 25th
    Chelsea v Watford
    Mar 11th
    FA Cup Q/F
    May 15th
    FA Cup Q/F
    Apr 26th
    FA Cup Q/F Apr 26th
    FA Cup Q/F
    May 17th
    FA Cup Q/F Apr 26th
    Arsenal v Sunderland
    Apr 22nd
    FA Cup S/F
    May 16th

Now all the confusion that was created when it was originally announced as a Thursday game has been cleared up, it was so they could give it the hype and a name. Part of Heavy Weight Week. The game was as eventful as Red Monday, Mersey Monday and the first half of Re United.

They need to stop all this over hype and special names for games, as they always end up crap.

When they have games on 7 days in a row, just have that and don't go over the top we might get 5-4's, 6-3's 7-0's. Hype it as Week of Destiny or something like that, and people will be bored by day 4 of 0-0's or 1-0's with few shots on target.
    YNWA

Now all the confusion that was created when it was originally announced as a Thursday game has been cleared up, it was so they could give it the hype and a name. Part of Heavy Weight Week. The game was as eventful as Red Monday, Mersey Monday and the first half of Re United.

They need to stop all this over hype and special names for games, as they always end up crap.

When they have games on 7 days in a row, just have that and don't go over the top we might get 5-4's, 6-3's 7-0's. Hype it as Week of Destiny or something like that, and people will be bored by day 4 of 0-0's or 1-0's with few shots on target.
    They'll never stop though, it's just what they do.

Yeah they've got that 7 days of PL games in a row coming up in the final week - from Friday to Thursday. God knows that they're going to be calling that. Although, considering Chelsea are involved in 2 of those games and Spurs in another 2 - and the title race could be over by then - it could all be a bit pointless.

Another one gone. Now just 6 remain...

MATCH
    ORIGINAL DATE
    REASON FOR POSTPONEMENT
    NEW DATE
    PLAYED
    Man.City v Man.Utd
    Feb 25th
    League Cup Final
    Apr 27th
    Southampton v Arsenal
    Feb 25th
    Chelsea v Watford
    Mar 11th
    FA Cup Q/F
    May 15th
    FA Cup Q/F
    Apr 26th
    FA Cup Q/F Apr 26th
    FA Cup Q/F
    May 17th
    FA Cup Q/F Apr 26th
    Arsenal v Sunderland
    Apr 22nd
    FA Cup S/F
    May 16th

So up next, the Southampton v Arsenal game - on the same day as the 2nd leg of the Madrid derby CL semi.

And then the final 5 in the final week.

So up next, the Southampton v Arsenal game - on the same day as the 2nd leg of the Madrid derby CL semi.
    Fine for the FA then, even though apart from Southampton and Arsenal fans, everyone else will be watching the CL semi anyway.
    YNWA

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Fine for the FA then, even though apart from Southampton and Arsenal fans, everyone else will be watching the CL semi anyway.
    Will it be televised?

Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Will it be televised?
    No, it's not on TV - but they're still not supposed to schedule matches on a UEFA night, even if they're not on TV.

Naughty boys.