Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmino - NOT A CF

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to see Firmino in behind Origi, with Coutinho to the left and Mane to the right.

Henderson alongside one of Can or Wijnaldum.
    That's why we aren't doing it.

Those 3 are not good enough...or suited to the roles... to pick 2 of them to play that way.

We aren't solid enough with all 3 in the team.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    Who is Sturridge?
    our best striker who cant get a game becauase someone can press better than him

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    That's why we aren't doing it.

Those 3 are not good enough...or suited to the roles... to pick 2 of them to play that way.

We aren't solid enough with all 3 in the team.
    I agree.

Henderson is best in a '3' and I've not seen much of Wijnaldum in a two man midfield either.

I think Can could do it, but he's really out of form and isn't mobile or defensively solid enough to be relied upon it seems.

Still, despite all that, we need to do something different, especially against the 'lesser' sides.

Against our rivals, the 4-3-3 has been effective and well balanced. Perhaps a change in formation could be beneficial when we come up against those outside of the top 6?

Firmino is a very good player, but he's no out-and-out striker. He could be classified as a false-nine or even a shadow striker, but no more advanced than that.

We have a striker: Origi. Origi is a player whose form is dependent on momentum. When he's given a consistent run of games (like last season until his injury), that's when we begin to see the best of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwmbran Red View Post
    Firmino is a very good player, but he's no out-and-out striker. He could be classified as a false-nine or even a shadow striker, but no more advanced than that.

We have a striker: Origi. Origi is a player whose form is dependent on momentum. When he's given a consistent run of games (like last season until his injury), that's when we begin to see the best of him.
    I'd like to see Firmino in a 'second striker' type role, like Alli at Spurs. I think that would suit him.

It would enable us to put a proper CF/Origi ahead of him, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwmbran Red View Post

Origi had a purple patch where he scored 5 in 5 but he looks an awful player (even in those games). His control, dribbling, ability to spot a pass and his finishing are all sub standard.

I'd like to see Firmino in a 'second striker' type role, like Alli at Spurs. I think that would suit him.

I think that would work. In theory Firmino's work rate should create more space for Origi to exploit. Your earlier suggestion of having these two being supported by Mane and Coutinho also makes sense, especially for games against 'park-the-bus' teams.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    I agree.

Henderson is best in a '3' and I've not seen much of Wijnaldum in a two man midfield either.

I think Can could do it, but he's really out of form and isn't mobile or defensively solid enough to be relied upon it seems.

Still, despite all that, we need to do something different, especially against the 'lesser' sides.

Against our rivals, the 4-3-3 has been effective and well balanced. Perhaps a change in formation could be beneficial when we come up against those outside of the top 6?
    That's why we need to get a proper defensive midfielder and another quality CB in the summer.

I reckon Klopp would prefer us to play 4-2-3-1...but we haven't the defensive base to do it...so that means he needs 3 midfielders instead of 2.

I'm not even completely convinced that Phil, Firmino and Mane would be his preferred 3 either.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Quote Originally Posted by gedzredz View Post
    Origi had a purple patch where he scored 5 in 5 but he looks an awful player (even in those games). His control, dribbling, ability to spot a pass and his finishing are all sub standard.
    True, but last season he demonstrated the capacity to improve on those flaws if given a proper consistent run. He'll never get back to that level being sat on the bench.

Mind you, if he can play poorly and still provide goals, I have no qualms with that. We could do with that right now.

Yeah, I'd like to see Firmino in behind Origi, with Coutinho to the left and Mane to the right.

Henderson alongside one of Can or Wijnaldum.
    Or we could try the diamond.

Henderson

Lallana Coutinho

Firmino

Mane Origi

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    That's why we need to get a proper defensive midfielder and another quality CB in the summer.

I reckon Klopp would prefer us to play 4-2-3-1...but we haven't the defensive base to do it...so that means he needs 3 midfielders instead of 2.

I'm not even completely convinced that Phil, Firmino and Mane would be his preferred 3 either.
    I think the main issue in midfield is that we don't have a player who can get on the ball and dictate the game.

I think our defensive struggles have as much to do with the way Klopp sets his sides up, as it does with our personnel. Obviously a solid CB next to Matip and a proper LB would go a long way, but we'll still give away chances if we attack in large numbers and are so open to the counter.

I think we could do with a new DM and CM, but I can only see both happening if Can leaves in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by drexciya View Post
    Or we could try the diamond.

Henderson

Lallana Coutinho

Firmino

Mane Origi
    I'd want another more defensively minded midfielder in there on the sides, in place of one of the AM's.

But a diamond is possible.

His a very useful player for me his maybe more a number ten than a false nine.

But on a side note, he most have had his teeth whited, but it is nice to see his always smiling when his scoring ?

In short I rate him.

But will he become the LFC Zico his not that yet far from it, but with hard work and training like Zico himself who trained and worked hard to become the legend of the game that Zico is today, but maybe Firmino can become better and end up like Zico for us?
    Last edited by 10Elfrates; 1-3-17 at 15:17.
    Mourinho's the special one, Klopp's the normal one, I am the weird one!

Quote Originally Posted by Defo-skitso View Post
    Can't hold up, can't run the channel......But works hard.
    But Klopp like Guardiola and Barcas manager is wedded to false 9 idea.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    But Klopp like Guardiola and Barcas manager is wedded to false 9 idea.
    The players those managers have in that position are goal scorers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Pat View Post
    our best striker who cant get a game becauase someone can press better than him
    Were you one of the people who wanted Sturridge to start over Firmino against Spurs? Before we beat 2-0 down to our pressing which was led by Firmino. The Sturridge thread suddenly turned quiet over that match.

"Our best striker" if you're living in 2015 still

It suits him a lot, that's where he had his best ever season (13/14) of his career. 22 goals, 16 assists in 37 games playing off a striker (primarily Modeste, occasionally Schipplock)

We just need,

A) The right striker, for some reason he simply doesn't link up well with Sturridge.

B) 2 midfielders good enough for a double pivot - at the moment we have 0.

Quote Originally Posted by DahoudAreYou View Post
    Were you one of the people who wanted Sturridge to start over Firmino against Spurs? Before we beat 2-0 down to our pressing which was led by Firmino. The Sturridge thread suddenly turned quiet over that match.

"Our best striker" if you're living in 2015 still
    The Spurs match was an anomaly, they stupidly defended high up the pitch (nearly as stupid as us via Leicester).
    What about the countless other games in the last 3 months when we've been utterly toothless?

It suits him a lot, that's where he had his best ever season (13/14) of his career. 22 goals, 16 assists in 37 games playing off a striker (primarily Modeste, occasionally Schipplock)

We just need,

A) The right striker, for some reason he simply doesn't link up well with Sturridge.

B) 2 midfielders good enough for a double pivot - at the moment we have 0.
    Yeah. A new ST and two midfielders would go a long way. I think it's essential that we bring in a new LB and CB too, though.

Klopp has also spoken in the recent past about the lack of wingers in our squad, and I think he'll be looking at that area too (the Brandt link seems to have some weight to it).

It all adds up, and if we do bring in 6 players to fill the positions mentioned above, not all of them will be 'starters', as we simply can't/won't be offering huge transfer fees or wages to 'top class' players.

I mentioned it yesterday, but I see three (maximum) new signings coming into the line up (with two or three others bulking up the squad), it's just a case of which areas Klopp sees as the priorities I guess.

Hypothetically, if you could pick only three positions to strengthen our starting XI with, which positions would you choose?

1 goal and 1 assist. Not bad for not a CF

He's been great tonight thus far.

Still want a new striker in the summer though!

1 goal and 1 assist. Not bad for not a CF
    The point still stands

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    The point still stands
    So does Firmino's goal involvement per 90 minutes, on par with the other top strikers in the league

So does Firmino's goal involvement per 90 minutes, on par with the other top strikers in the league
    Except he doesn't have the same amount of goals

Except he doesn't have the same amount of goals
    Doesn't matter whether it's a goal or an assist as long as the team's scoring goals

Doesn't matter whether it's a goal or an assist as long as the team's scoring goals
    And when its not we need someone to carry us

And when its not we need someone to carry us
    You mean Karius? We have him mate

You mean Karius? We have him mate
    games are won by goals

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    Good finish and he had a lot to do with it. And the assist was just perfect vision.

10 goals and 7 assists thus far. My target for him at the beginning of the season was 15/15.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    Good finish and he had a lot to do with it. And the assist was just perfect vision.

10 goals and 7 assists thus far. My target for him at the beginning of the season was 15/15.
    Still time for him to get that, he probably would've done had he played every game as a striker.