Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 266674757677 LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,280 of 2297

Thread: Firmino - NOT A CF

He’s like a super skilful Dirk Kuyt.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    I defended Bobby on here from the start, though I still dont think he'll ever reach the goal levels of say Kane or Aguero he doesn't need to. His assist yesterday shows what kind of striker he is, He's perfect central in our front three as he drops deep and allows Salah and Mane to come central. Not many other players in the league are like him and I wouldn't swap him for many either.

mcdiggerman is online now Academy prospect
    Think Kane, Aguero (and Salah) have changed what a good goalscoring tally is really

A few golden boot winners had about 18-20 league goals a few years back

Let's put it this way - Bobby has scored more goals than a £75m striker who plays every game for ManUre

The heatmap yesterday has him playing as a 10. Salah pretty much as a 9 and was ahead of Bobby far more.

Arguably Salah is our striker now and it works great between them.

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    The heatmap yesterday has him playing as a 10. Salah pretty much as a 9 and was ahead of Bobby far more.

Absolutely, it’s becoming more of a partnership.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post

Yes, this was my point from the start. He doesn't play on the shoulder of the striker, he drops deep and allows Salah to go central. It's working great so why change it?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdiggerman View Post
    Think Kane, Aguero (and Salah) have changed what a good goalscoring tally is really

A few golden boot winners had about 18-20 league goals a few years back

Let's put it this way - Bobby has scored more goals than a £75m striker who plays every game for ManUre
    I got pelters on here for saying I'd rather have bobby up front than Lukaku.

Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    I got pelters on here for saying I'd rather have bobby up front than Lukaku.
    I got pelters for saying he was a much better player than Lacazette.

I love him as a player, while we hypothesise about which strikers could do what, he's producing the goods every week and what marks him out for me is when he's having an off day, if his touch deserts him, he'll still work relentlessly to win the ball and create chances and set the team pace.

He's a real one off in this respect and when you can pull off defence splitting technically outstanding flicks like yesterday's.....well you have some player on your hands.

The way he's dovetailing with Salah and Mane is outstanding too, far from a fixed number 9.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I still think Lacazette is a top draw player, he's just taking time to settle. But Laca is a different player completely to bobby. Only really Kane and Zlatan can do what bobby does and Okasaki to some extent as well. Most other strikers in the league are just on the shoulder instinct players.

The Salah goal yesterday should be a contender for goal of the season, for nothing more than Firmino’s role in it.

It was stupid good.

I also love how he just gets on with it. The ref let about 4 fouls go on him yesterday, and instead of it getting to him, he just continued to try and try again. Class act.

I keep saying he's a truly unique player. He's the perfect fit for a Klopp team and a Klopp style of play.

There are others out there more prolific than Bobby, more spectacular than Bobby, more media-hyped than Bobby.

But I can't see too many others out there that offer the full package that Bobby does...in terms of goals, assists, vision, imagination, creativity, interplay, work ethic, pressing,regaining possession, attitude, character & personality.

That's a hell of a list of qualities. Keep adding better players around him and there's no limit Firmino's effectiveness and influence.

Can't believe we missed out on the 'guaranteed 20 goals a season', big chance taker Lacazette and instead stuck with our 'not a striker', not clinical enough Firmino!

What's that, Lacazette has scored 9 goals all season and missed a one-on-one in the last minute of the NLD, whilst Firmino scored his 20th of the season last night?

What a shock. Turns out scoring goals in Ligue 1, a third of them coming from penalties, doesn't guarantee you 20 goals in the Premier League.

I still think Lacazette is a top draw player, he's just taking time to settle. But Laca is a different player completely to bobby. Only really Kane and Zlatan can do what bobby does and Okasaki to some extent as well. Most other strikers in the league are just on the shoulder instinct players.
    Lacazette is a Europa League player

Quote Originally Posted by JordanHenderSam View Post
    Lacazette is a Europa League player
    I disagree, simply because he has pace to burn. He can finish and has bags of pace, he'll do well in the prem but its just taking him time to settle. Same with Bakayoko at Chelsea. Top top player, but taking time to adjust.

I disagree, simply because he has pace to burn. He can finish and has bags of pace, he'll do well in the prem but its just taking him time to settle. Same with Bakayoko at Chelsea. Top top player, but taking time to adjust.
    Plenty of players could finish in Ligue 1 and couldn't cut it in the Premier League, Gomis to name one example. Lacazette has a very good Europa League record yet has never proven himself in the Champions League, hence why I think he's actually a perfect definition of a Europa League quality player.

Lacazette's chance in the NLD wasn't easy but for a £50m striker who "can finish" you'd expect him to slot that home. He's missed 12 clear cut chances this season, joint 5th in the league (Firmino who apparently isn't clinical has only missed 5).

He's simply not as good as people made out in the summer and he's proving me right. It's easy to be skewed by the unpredictability of players coming from Ligue 1 and the fact that a large portion of his goals were from the penalty spot.

I said in the summer that Firmino would outscore Lacazzete if Firmino was on penalties. He's embarrassingly outscoring him regardless of penalties.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    This is Lacazette's first year in the Premier League. Are we also comparing him to Firmino's first season here?

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Lacazette had a real cult following on here

I won't pretend that I wouldn't have liked him to join us, but he was apparently proof that we had "no chance" finishing above Arsenal this year....

Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    This is Lacazette's first year in the Premier League. Are we also comparing him to Firmino's first season here?
    The signing of PEA puts Lacazette's future at risk though....plenty more games left in the season to change that, but last 2 games have seen PEA preferred on his own

Lukaku has had several seasons here.

I'm not a fan of Bakayoko at all. It might have been hard for him to adjust initially, but he's got a bit of Xhaka about him.

I liked both in France and Germany, but both struggling massively with the pace of the Premiership.
    Last edited by tonylet; 14-2-18 at 23:08.

No, because Lacazette didn't spend his club career playing as a #10 before he came to Arsenal.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    Another bump for this thread.

A lovely touch in the centre-circle for one of Mane's goals and then that great finish and a double round-house kick to celebrate. Even Mane tried to copy him.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    Another bump for this thread.

A lovely touch in the centre-circle for one of Mane's goals and then that great finish and a double round-house kick to celebrate. Even Mane tried to copy him.
    Me and you have had some cracking discussions wth posters on here who slagged Bobby off.

Its a shame they cant hold their hands up and admit they were wrong.

Even having Ox in the squad has allowed us not to move Bobby out wide like whats happened in past. Which benefits thebwhoke team.

MoMoMoMoMoMoMo is online now Academy prospect
    One of the best all round forwards in the game. Simply brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoMoMoMoMoMo View Post
    One of the best all round forwards in the game. Simply brilliant.
    He reminds me of peak Berbatov crossed with Kuyt.

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    His quality has never been in doubt and great he has done what was needed to be a top number 9 this season so far, which is score enough goals.

I still think we need to buy another striker as we can't expect him to play every game and also allow us to play 2 up top in certain games, but if he keeps this up this player will see a lot of matches from behind Jurgen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    His quality has never been in doubt and great he has done what was needed to be a top number 9 this season so far, which is score enough goals.

I still think we need to buy another striker as we can't expect him to play every game and also allow us to play 2 up top in certain games, but if he keeps this up this player will see a lot of matches from behind Jurgen.
    When people said we need a striker causr Bobby isnt good enough. They put their opinion on Firmino being not the man. They couldn't or wouldn't accept how he makes us tick.

Pushin him outwide to accommodate someone else punished us. He hasnt been asked to that and we see an amazing strike record

What we needed to do was replace Sturridge with someone who fits the same system. Of course if that said player brings more to the table then thats good for the team.

I have no issues with keepin Ings but we need the 1st tean quality. Is it as easy as that though as we may go for a winger who covers all bases

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    When people said we need a striker causr Bobby isnt good enough. They put their opinion on Firmino being not the man. They couldn't or wouldn't accept how he makes us tick.

Pushin him outwide to accommodate someone else punished us. He hasnt been asked to that and we see an amazing strike record

What we needed to do was replace Sturridge with someone who fits the same system. Of course if that said player brings more to the table then thats good for the team.

I have no issues with keepin Ings but we need the 1st tean quality. Is it as easy as that though as we may go for a winger who covers all bases
    Can't speak for them, i just wondered if he could score enough goals as a striker as it is a different role to what he has been used to, not that he isn't good enough as a player.

Earlier in the season he did miss chances that a proper striker would tuck away and also wasn't in the right place for a cross or centred ball as his instincts aren't a strikers, but as the season has gone on he's got much better at this and has obviously worked to be more striker like.

Yeh, the biggest thing for me is depth, if Bobby got injured for a month or 2 we need someone at that level or close to come in for him, we need a new striker to back him up and allow us to rotate and see the level of the team not drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    Can't speak for them, i just wondered if he could score enough goals as a striker as it is a different role to what he has been used to, not that he isn't good enough as a player.

Earlier in the season he did miss chances that a proper striker would tuck away and also wasn't in the right place for a cross or centred ball as his instincts aren't a strikers, but as the season has gone on he's got much better at this and has obviously worked to be more striker like.

Yeh, the biggest thing for me is depth, if Bobby got injured for a month or 2 we need someone at that level or close to come in for him, we need a new striker to back him up and allow us to rotate and see the level of the team not drop.
    Mate no one could have predicted the goal return of Salah.

What was so frustrating was trying to explain how Firmino makes the team work. And moving him out wide or behind a striker makes the team suffer.

Now the pundits have picked up on how important he is.

For some reason we have stuck with sturridge and thats why we are out the cups etc cause we have no depth

I don't wanna proper striker as thats not how we play but if we were to get another option who maybe be more direct or add something diff then you can play him and Bobby together too

We just need to push on mate