Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 481 to 500 of 500

Thread: Sturridge Injured again and back again!

  1. #481  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    5,843
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    That's patently untrue.
    Yes I noticed spikop had made that up in responding to me. It wasn't worth responding to such drivel. But I'm glad someone else has.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #482  
    LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,064
    He's such a tease isn't he, like when you pal/partner orders the dish you were going to get in the restaurant, then let you have a bite and it's much nicer than yours.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #483  
    CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,433
    Unless a team outside of the PL (someone like PSG) offer more than 30m for him, I wouldn't entertain a sale. Yes he's unreliable fitness wise but that's only an issue because we've had such a lack of depth in that position.

    Even with CL football we'd really struggle to replace him with anyone even close to as good at putting the ball in the net.

    One issue is that he's clearly better in a two and I'm not sure that's a long-term formation for Klopp, but in certain scenarios and definitely in those games against the bottom half sides, Sturridge alongside Firmino/Origi or dare I say, Lacazette, would be invaluable.

    Loan out Danny Ings for the season to get some games under his belt and push his price up, keep Sturridge, Origi and Firmino and sign someone like Lacazette and we'll be ready to smash teams to bits next season.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #484  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Snippes View Post
    Couldn't disagree more with this line of thinking. Klopp's biggest issue with Danny is his lack of reliability. If he were still here next season and managed by some miracle to stay fit for an extended period of time, there is no doubt in my mind that Klopp will not have any choice but to play him some. He might not be an automatic starter but he will play a very significant part of the season if he is healthy, and if he does, he will have no concerns about Russia. He isn't going to be any more attractive to Southgate as an every day starter for a crap team like West Ham than he is as a well known entity at Liverpool regardless of his starting status. Who doesn't know what he is capable of when healthy? Southgate surely does but as always, the final say always goes to Danny's body and if he is even an option.

    For me, I see zero upside to selling Danny. If we sold him to a rival like Spurs or Arsenal (who both would be very shrewd if they targeted and got him), it would be professional incompetence for us to gift any rival a player like that even if he is always injured. And whatever we are paying him, even when we get nothing during those many injuries, how many teams can do what we did today and unwrap this gem of a player who has been mostly invisible this season, but at the most crucial moment of the season, steps up when we need him and did what he did today. Without Danny today, does anyone here doubt that we could very easily have been headed for another frustrating toothless afternoon of pointless ball possession going nowhere. I think that first goal effectively won us that game....which means he was a very critical piece of getting into the CL if we finish the job. And that alone, for what it means for this club and for the future, is worth infinitely more than the 120K or whatever it is he makes, a week, that we moan about all the time when he isn't playing. Worth more than 20 Mil or whatever cut price we would get for him selling in the summer.

    Danny should know that while the situation isn't necessarily perfect all the time, that Liverpool is and should be the place for him for the foreseeable future.
    I agree that Danny's fitness has been a big issue, but also think it's unfair to use that as the major factor in his few appearances this season. Early into the season, Klopp changed to a no-striker system for much of the first half of the season, and it generally worked well but, once opposition teams sussed us out, when he actually did select a striker, it was usually Origi, even when Danny was fit/back to fitness after an injury. So he was stuck on the bench for much of the time, often coming on only for 10-15-minute cameos.

    If Klopp had been more adaptable, and able to implement a Plan B, he might have got a lot from Sturridge - and more points - but when injuries, absences and burnout took their toll, so did performances and results.

    Necessity forced Klopp's hand yesterday, it's just a pity he couldn't see a way of utilising Sturridge for those months (and there were months when he was fit after his rehab programme from last season - another reason why I couldn't understand why he wasn't being selected, why go to all that trouble with the player and then not play him, why not just have sold him that summer?

    So, I put the main reason for Danny's poor season down to the manager's inability to change formation and play to Danny's obvious strengths. We did that yesterday and it worked a treat. The pity is that we haven't used it more often.

    If we do get CL football, then Danny might be persuaded to stay (assuming Klopp wants to keep him, which I am still unsure about), but he would have to have guarantees that, when he's fit, he plays. Playing in the CL would be great for him, but even playing for a team like West Ham, on a regular basis, would keep him in the England manager's sights, and that's what he will want. Having only a handful of games again next season would be the last thing he needed, in the run up to a World Cup.

    Sturridge is one of our most exciting talents, I am one of his biggest fans, and would love him to stay, I just would be very (pleasantly) surprised if he did and, more so, if he became a regular fixture in the team next season. To see him latch onto that devastating Coutinho pass was a sight to behold, and took me back to when he was playing with Suarez and Gerrard. I find his lack of playing time this season a complete waste.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #485  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    5,843
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    I agree that Danny's fitness has been a big issue, but also think it's unfair to use that as the major factor in his few appearances this season. Early into the season, Klopp changed to a no-striker system for much of the first half of the season, and it generally worked well but, once opposition teams sussed us out, when he actually did select a striker, it was usually Origi, even when Danny was fit/back to fitness after an injury. So he was stuck on the bench for much of the time, often coming on only for 10-15-minute cameos.

    If Klopp had been more adaptable, and able to implement a Plan B, he might have got a lot from Sturridge - and more points - but when injuries, absences and burnout took their toll, so did performances and results.

    Necessity forced Klopp's hand yesterday, it's just a pity he couldn't see a way of utilising Sturridge for those months (and there were months when he was fit after his rehab programme from last season - another reason why I couldn't understand why he wasn't being selected, why go to all that trouble with the player and then not play him, why not just have sold him that summer?

    So, I put the main reason for Danny's poor season down to the manager's inability to change formation and play to Danny's obvious strengths. We did that yesterday and it worked a treat. The pity is that we haven't used it more often.

    If we do get CL football, then Danny might be persuaded to stay (assuming Klopp wants to keep him, which I am still unsure about), but he would have to have guarantees that, when he's fit, he plays. Playing in the CL would be great for him, but even playing for a team like West Ham, on a regular basis, would keep him in the England manager's sights, and that's what he will want. Having only a handful of games again next season would be the last thing he needed, in the run up to a World Cup.

    Sturridge is one of our most exciting talents, I am one of his biggest fans, and would love him to stay, I just would be very (pleasantly) surprised if he did and, more so, if he became a regular fixture in the team next season. To see him latch onto that devastating Coutinho pass was a sight to behold, and took me back to when he was playing with Suarez and Gerrard. I find his lack of playing time this season a complete waste.
    I agree with some of this. But to be fair to Klopp he may have done more for Sturridge by not playing/considering him unless he managed a week of full training which has been the main problem. It would be fair to say though that Klopp has played injured players in other positions. Can comes to mind. But the history of Studge is that he is the most delicate in the physical sense and hasn't been risked, partly because there were other options: Mane, Origi and Bobby. But as I have said previously and been laughed at (and will be again). Studge is the greatest striker England have ever had. Seeing him yesterday doing what he does when fit is poetry in motion.

    I just hope that the hugs and comments yesterday mean he will stay. Fingers crossed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #486  
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    I agree with some of this. But to be fair to Klopp he may have done more for Sturridge by not playing/considering him unless he managed a week of full training which has been the main problem. It would be fair to say though that Klopp has played injured players in other positions. Can comes to mind. But the history of Studge is that he is the most delicate in the physical sense and hasn't been risked, partly because there were other options: Mane, Origi and Bobby. But as I have said previously and been laughed at (and will be again). Studge is the greatest striker England have ever had. Seeing him yesterday doing what he does when fit is poetry in motion.

    I just hope that the hugs and comments yesterday mean he will stay. Fingers crossed.
    My view is that Klopp clearly recognises the special element that Dan can provide when fit. Pretty sure that he has not pressed the medical team over Him as he knows that playing while not 100% is not an option for him. Players are different, Bobby and Emre will and have played while not 100% Daniel S fir whatever reason dies not match up to these guys. A pre season for Dan will be great. We need him for a European journey next season.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #487  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    58,447
    I think he should, and will be, sold. We don't want to have the same discussion next year again. The bottomline here is that this guy has scored 15 league goals in the last 3 seasons, which is an horrendous return for a striker that he is being paid 150k a week.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #488  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,208
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    Unless a team outside of the PL (someone like PSG) offer more than 30m for him, I wouldn't entertain a sale. Yes he's unreliable fitness wise but that's only an issue because we've had such a lack of depth in that position.

    Even with CL football we'd really struggle to replace him with anyone even close to as good at putting the ball in the net.

    One issue is that he's clearly better in a two and I'm not sure that's a long-term formation for Klopp, but in certain scenarios and definitely in those games against the bottom half sides, Sturridge alongside Firmino/Origi or dare I say, Lacazette, would be invaluable.

    Loan out Danny Ings for the season to get some games under his belt and push his price up, keep Sturridge, Origi and Firmino and sign someone like Lacazette and we'll be ready to smash teams to bits next season.
    That would be ideal! But we don't do ideal.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #489  
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    My view is that Klopp clearly recognises the special element that Dan can provide when fit. Pretty sure that he has not pressed the medical team over Him as he knows that playing while not 100% is not an option for him. Players are different, Bobby and Emre will and have played while not 100% Daniel S fir whatever reason dies not match up to these guys. A pre season for Dan will be great. We need him for a European journey next season.
    I think Klopp has refused to play him on a number of occasions when he has been fit actually over the last 2 seasons. He has favoured Origi generally. I was baffled why he did not start against Southampton.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #490  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    5,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    I think he should, and will be, sold. We don't want to have the same discussion next year again. The bottomline here is that this guy has scored 15 league goals in the last 3 seasons, which is an horrendous return for a striker that he is being paid 150k a week.
    You're being so simplistic. Replacing a player like Studge will cost a lot of money. Meanwhile the only outlay is his wages, high they may well be, but do you want yr small team mentality to be the way?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #491  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    23,968
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    He's such a tease isn't he, like when you pal/partner orders the dish you were going to get in the restaurant, then let you have a bite and it's much nicer than yours.
    You often dine out with a "friend " ?
    Weird .
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #492  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Yes I noticed spikop had made that up in responding to me. It wasn't worth responding to such drivel. But I'm glad someone else has.
    This is a Sturridge thread, so I won't spend too much more time on Ings, but:

    - Danny Ings 2016/17

    - League Apps = 0
    - Lge Bench Apps = 0

    ...thought it was only in Trump's world that truth is called drivel
    Last edited by spikop; 15-5-17 at 14:17.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #493  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    That's patently untrue.
    See above
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #494  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23,960
    Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    You often dine out with a "friend " ?
    Weird .


    I dine with a friend now and then, its ok to hoops!

    He gets a little uncomfortable when I stare at him during long silences, but that is just the rope being too tight for him. He is a moaner mind you...though that is just the gag stifling his attempts to talk.....I could go on
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #495  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,076
    Sturridge had a top game so when asked about him in the post-match interview Klopp says enthusiastically "....What a player!!!..." it begs the question of whether is he actually using the same kind of sales speak that a good car salesman uses when he sidles up to you and says ".....Now this is a car that I'd buy myself if I was in the market for this model."


    Tbf I'd probably buy a used car from Klopp.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #496  
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,619
    Keep him.....Keep him.....keep him.....keep him!!!!


    Please Jurgen realize that even without the mobility that Firmo and Origi offers, Studge when fit should always be first choice striker.

    Yes, I know the WHEN FIT needs to be highlighted, but there were times this season when he was fit and still wasn't selected.

    He is the best finisher in the squad bar none.

    You play to his strengths and have others do that work for him.

    The hardest thing in a game of football is to score goals, when he's on the field Studge invariably manages it.

    I don't care if he doesn't cover from left to right and track back, I didn't want Fowler doing that either, I wanted him around the box
    to put the ball in the damn net!!!

    What's the point in selling him?

    Can we trust FSG/transfer committee to get it right in buying his replacement?

    As long as he's still with us I continue to pray he'll shake off this injury blight and give us a full season.

    I know we still need another striker, sell other players to fund this and have Danny/Firmo/Origi and this new striker fight it out for selection.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #497  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9,477
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    One issue is that he's clearly better in a two and I'm not sure that's a long-term formation for Klopp, but in certain scenarios and definitely in those games against the bottom half sides, Sturridge alongside Firmino/Origi ongside Firmino/Origi or dare I say, Lacazette, would be invaluable.
    I just wish Jurgen had tried this sooner, could have transformed our season.

    So many of us were crying out for a front two of Sturridge and Origi back in January, with Coutinho and Mane out, and lots of cannon fodder teams to play.

    Seemed obvious at the time. Much like dropping Coutinho deeper, why wait until now to tinker...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #498  
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by JurgenBelieveUs View Post
    I just wish Jurgen had tried this sooner, could have transformed our season.

    So many of us were crying out for a front two of Sturridge and Origi back in January, with Coutinho and Mane out, and lots of cannon fodder teams to play.

    Seemed obvious at the time. Much like dropping Coutinho deeper, why wait until now to tinker...
    Spot on. I was one of those screaming for a double striker formation of Sturridge & Origi as an alternative when Klopp's preferred attacking three of Firmino/Coutinho/Mane was not available through injury or whatever. I have been tearing my hair out at the chances wasted by Origi in front of goal when a good pass has been threaded to him. Good as that pass from Coutinho was, there is no way that Origi would have finished it off like Sturridge did, it would have been another wasted chance. Having said that, Origi played a far better game with Sturridge in support. Sometimes Klopp's refusal to change things around when plan A doesn't work baffles me. Thank goodness he listened to my advice after the Southampton game!!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #499  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    7,473
    Quote Originally Posted by spikop View Post
    See above
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #500  
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert-Hall View Post
    Spot on. I was one of those screaming for a double striker formation of Sturridge & Origi as an alternative when Klopp's preferred attacking three of Firmino/Coutinho/Mane was not available through injury or whatever. I have been tearing my hair out at the chances wasted by Origi in front of goal when a good pass has been threaded to him. Good as that pass from Coutinho was, there is no way that Origi would have finished it off like Sturridge did, it would have been another wasted chance. Having said that, Origi played a far better game with Sturridge in support. Sometimes Klopp's refusal to change things around when plan A doesn't work baffles me. Thank goodness he listened to my advice after the Southampton game!!
    Sure he did.
    Formerly known as OrientalRed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •