Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Man City (a) - Sun 19th 16:30 - Sky Sports

Hard fought, extremely entertaining game, big misses on both sides. By the time the smoke cleared, the draw was probably a fair result. Nice to see Can coming up with a good performance at DM. So that's 5 wins and 5 draws v the top six. Not bad at all.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

liverpool19734 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    He had a tap in to win the game and completely messed it up. Simple as that.
    His incredible performance played a big reason why we matched City in the game. Simple as that.

He had a tap in to win the game and completely messed it up. Simple as that.
    Disappointing, that. But those things happen. See Aguero.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    His incredible performance played a big reason why we matched City in the game. Simple as that.
    It's still no excuse for missing such an easy chance. Why are you arguing with me for being disappointed one of our players missed such an easy chance to win a massive game? Anyway, you crack on.

liverpool19734 is online now Academy prospect
    It's still no excuse for missing such an easy chance. Why are you arguing with me for being disappointed one of our players missed such an easy chance to win a massive game? Anyway, you crack on.
    I'm just saying it isn't the reason we didn't win the match.

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Enjoy the positives instaed of focusing on the negatives
    We all know Lallana missed a sitter but its done with we go again

Coach791 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Enjoy the positives instaed of focusing on the negatives
    We all know Lallana missed a sitter but its done with we go again
    It was a terrific game. Two good sides, both attacking and going for the win, both with chances to win and both making mistakes which is what happens when you you're going at it for 90 minutes full speed.

Coach791 is online now First team regular
    In any game you can point to many incidents that fans will say 'cost us' the match. By nature the statement doesn't make sense. The match last 90 minutes, lots of things happen and saying Lallana missing costing us the win because if he'd have scored ignores many things.

Firstly Lallana scoring is fictional, it didn't happen. Creating fictional events to create equally fictional outcomes is fiction. Let's forget the fact that City may have equalised had Lallana 'fictionally' put the ball in the back of the net. That's gone.

If we are going to create a 'fantasy' system of fictional outcomes to convince ourselves they cost actual points then there is one simple truth. There were lots of events in the match that could have 'fictionally' turned out differently. Had Aguero scored, had Milner put in his own goal, had Fernandinho prodded home, had Toure been sent off, had Clichy and what you ahve just opened up is a massive number of potential 'fictional' outcomes that could have happened then assigning each one a 'definitive' result.

Fictional events simply point to possibilities. Assigning them to actual results and points no matter how probable you have convinced yourself they are are not real things. Like I say if you fictionally change the outcome of Lallana's finish then you can fictionally change every touch from every player in every match each of which could have an untold knock on effect on the game.

Fiction Football. It's all the rage.
    Last edited by Coach791; 20-3-17 at 11:29.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda... I suggest we really move on from Lallana missing a clear chance because City had double amount of clear chances too - FACT.

It was a hard fought and very entertaining draw. For our target (i.e. challenging the top 4 position), a draw against a fellow top4 rival is still a good outcome, especially away from home.
    I said it many times before, but I'll say it again - winning against top teams is and always will be just a bonus, yet more important is securing points against the lower ones. I can understand why some believe this was a must-win game, but only because we brought ourselves into this situation by spilling points against weaker ones. Honestly, I'd rather we draw every time against those top 5 five teams, if we could take 3pts against the rest.

All in all, very good team performance. Only criticism I have is related to Coutinho gone missing lately and Klavan positional sense (in few moments of the game).

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    It was a terrific game. Two good sides, both attacking and going for the win, both with chances to win and both making mistakes which is what happens when you you're going at it for 90 minutes full speed.
    It really was a good game - lots of people talking about it at work too

Great game, good performance, good point...but I just can't get over that Lallana miss. Genuinely one of the worst I've seen from a Liverpool player, and such a big miss too. Unforgivable. I think a lot would have taken a point before the game, but I'm massively disappointed after that. I've saw Firmino get a lot of stick for not scoring his chances, which is fair enough, but he also won the penalty and laid an absolute sitter on a plate for what should have been the winner.

Can was brilliant too, a real big game from him.

Also, nice to see one of the most blatant troll melts on here will be taking a break for a while
    Spot on! Not a Can fan but credit where it's due he was strong throughout the game and played well. I think Gini was an unsung hero yesterday too.
    Lallana - great game but the miss will haunt him - he lines up with Ronny Rosenthal now!!
    Can anyone tell me how Fernandinho did not get a yellow card yesterday? Unbelievable Jeff!!
    The Long and Winding Road

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    It really was a good game - lots of people talking about it at work too
    Both teams went for it - toe to toe - both managers and sets of players were brave for the way they played.

In big games it's so easy to go defensive, play defensive players, keep 6 players behind the ball - to see a midfield battle between 2 big clubs, yet see a midfield battle between Lallana, Gini, Silva & De Bruyne - refreshing to see a battle of technical players, rather then just a physical battle

Very predictable path for this thread. Fans here seem to have the same discussion over and over again. But then, I guess that's just a representation of the fact the same problem/s have existed for such a long time.

As far as the match is oncerned, Lalli's miss was shocking. He should be ashamed of himself with that one. Player of his quality should not be missing that. But hey, these things do happen in football - just look at Torres' open goal miss for Chelsea. **** happens. That's football. My question would be more of a general one than about this specific game and that unique miss. Simply, is he good enough? Anyone that says he's a **** player is an idiot. He's not ****. His technique ranges from very good to downright brilliant (missed open goal aside). He seems to work hard so that's another plus. Although, strangely, he also seems to go missing for very long periods of matches. He doesn't score enough goals for his position and the type of player he is - no-one can deny that. He's not aggressive or strong enough to take on some of the big burly ******* Prem defenders - again, don't think anyone can deny that. When the chips are down (like they were between December and February this season), did he stand up and stand apart as someone who helped push the team on? In essence, does he have leadership qualities and does he have that winning mentality that all world class players need? I think on both counts, he has a bit, but not enough for the level that we're looking for.

For me, Lalli is a very good player who sometimes can be top, top class and sometimes can be non existent on the pitch and too often, doesn't do enough. Personally, I'd pay cold cash to give him those extra qualities he needs to edge out from very good to top or even world class because I think he's got it. But he's missing that one key ingredient that makes players like StevieG, Suarez and Viera stand out from the crowd - mentality. He simply doesn't have the eye of the tiger and that will hold him back his entire career. He'll be remembered as a really good player but not as a world class one I think. Which is a real shame because as I've said, he's got everything else to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbird View Post
    Very predictable path for this thread. Fans here seem to have the same discussion over and over again. But then, I guess that's just a representation of the fact the same problem/s have existed for such a long time.

As far as the match is oncerned, Lalli's miss was shocking. He should be ashamed of himself with that one. Player of his quality should not be missing that. But hey, these things do happen in football - just look at Torres' open goal miss for Chelsea. **** happens. That's football. My question would be more of a general one than about this specific game and that unique miss. Simply, is he good enough? Anyone that says he's a **** player is an idiot. He's not ****. His technique ranges from very good to downright brilliant (missed open goal aside). He seems to work hard so that's another plus. Although, strangely, he also seems to go missing for very long periods of matches. He doesn't score enough goals for his position and the type of player he is - no-one can deny that. He's not aggressive or strong enough to take on some of the big burly ******* Prem defenders - again, don't think anyone can deny that. When the chips are down (like they were between December and February this season), did he stand up and stand apart as someone who helped push the team on? In essence, does he have leadership qualities and does he have that winning mentality that all world class players need? I think on both counts, he has a bit, but not enough for the level that we're looking for.

For me, Lalli is a very good player who sometimes can be top, top class and sometimes can be non existent on the pitch and too often, doesn't do enough. Personally, I'd pay cold cash to give him those extra qualities he needs to edge out from very good to top or even world class because I think he's got it. But he's missing that one key ingredient that makes players like StevieG, Suarez and Viera stand out from the crowd - mentality. He simply doesn't have the eye of the tiger and that will hold him back his entire career. He'll be remembered as a really good player but not as a world class one I think. Which is a real shame because as I've said, he's got everything else to achieve that.
    That last paragraph could be talking about every single player in our team, especially our Attack

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    That last paragraph could be talking about every single player in our team, especially our Attack
    yes, I completely agree (apart from Mane who has been awesome IMO). And I think this is the cause of our problems. We have some very good players who sometimes are brilliant (just look at Can yesterday. He was amazing! Yet how many games have we seen him player like that this season? 1? 2?).

Having said that, the main topic of conversation is around Lalli, so......

Was an impeccable game, lots of quality football from both teams and of course mistakes from both team as well. As much as i wondered how Lallana missed that golden, i was wondering the same about Aguero's chances which in any other games he would have scored all of those. The one thing that came to my mind was that this team is definitely few more players short from being Great and consistent, the period when we dominated in the 2nd half came down to nothing but a goal conceded instead right after. Can't help but thinking a few more quality players to add to the current spine will make us more unplayable and consistent, we need pace upfront and on the wings, another central midfielder/DM, Left back and possible centreback/gk.

Top 4

We're playing well, but it's cagey isn't it?

The lads just need to do what they're doing.

Defend well and score some more goals!!!

Come on boys!

Lallana must be kicking himself, but like the manager said, he's playing well, so it doesn't matter.

Given the chance, I bet Adam will score next time.

Come on you Reds!!!

That was a determining factor. Clearly. Completely missing a tap in is a massive moment, and in the end it cost us a win. Nobody missed as easy a chance as that.
    bar Sterling who missed an even easier chance

its the reason we didn't take the lead with 15 mins to go.

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    bar Sterling who missed an even easier chance
    Easier than Lallana's? Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Easier than Lallana's? Come on now.
    he was a yard away from goal with no keeper to beat and failed to get a proper touch to it.. Lallana was further away with the keeper to beat

Personally, I was glad to see a more balanced display. Our recent string of results have manifested from more solid defending.

We obviously can thump many teams 4-1, but I don't necessarily think that that should be our aim from the kick off, all of the time.

We've played smarter, and sussed teams out in the last 3 matches, which is fine by me

Quote Originally Posted by LW94 View Post
    he was a yard away from goal with no keeper to beat and failed to get a proper touch to it.. Lallana was further away with the keeper to beat
    Not for the first time either. A lot was made of Milner's challenge preventing a certain goal but I'm sure Sterling had already missed making contact with the ball.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    FA charge Man City for failing to control their players yesterday.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    FA charge Man City for failing to control their players yesterday.
    Did I miss something?

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Did I miss something?
    Well, guess it was from when the pen was given and after we scored, the players were still surrounding the ref. Don't know what happened after the match mind.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Did I miss something?
    Yes, some of Man City's players lost control of their emotions during the match yesterday and as a result Man City have been charged over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Well, guess it was from when the pen was given and after we scored, the players were still surrounding the ref. Don't know what happened after the match mind.
    It looked like there was something going on in the tunnel after the game, but I couldn't make anything out. Maybe it was just for the swarming of the referee.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Not for the first time either. A lot was made of Milner's challenge preventing a certain goal but I'm sure Sterling had already missed making contact with the ball.
    it was physically harder to not hit the back of the net haha. Seen him do similar a few times for us.
    If his technique/end product was better City would have an unbelievable front 3.