Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best music era

Quote Originally Posted by AboveUsOnlySky View Post
    You're an 80's person - damn straight they were the best.

Along with the leg warmers, crazy perms and Walkmans
    The 80's were probably my favourite music Era but it had nothing to do with all the New Romantic and SAW output in the slightest!

I started the 80's being into NWOBHM and Punk, then got into the Thrash Metal scene as it was breaking, started buying records with pocket & paper round money, was buying Metallica's 'Ride The Lightning', Slayer's 'Show No Mercy', Anthrax 'Spreading the Disease' as they came out, was into all the Teutonic Thrash bands, with a smattering of Venom and Bathory chucked in for good measure. First gig was Iron Maiden at Hammersmith Odeon in Oct 86, then was seeing bands in London pretty much every week up to 1990/91 when Grunge effectively started killing off Metal!

And quite a few of those bands that emerged in MY 80's, are still going, which is great!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

MrDilkington is online now Academy prospect
    I have been thinking about this and although the 80s was not my favourite era, there was a lot of stuff I really liked from back then, Ska, Reggae and the early rap and Electronic music too.

Just recently I have been having debates about Vinyl, a lot of my mates are DJs or love their decks, whereas I have never really liked it, I was glad to see it phased out somewhat, it as always too bulky and too easily damaged for my liking.
    The only good thing I liked about it was the art that was sometimes on the sleeves, but even still that was not enough to make me a fan, this new age of digital music is right up my alley, I like being able to fit so much music on such a small device.

As some have mentioned- there have been contributions throughout the years and there is always a few memorable ones even in the lean years such as the 80's and currently.

A few artists/groups always breaks the trend and creates something sensational that makes it into the classics from that era. Til this day I still have vinyls as well as CD's and memory sticks or external HD's and l love almost every type of genre and listen to most and genuinely believe taht a day without music is like a day without laughter....not worth it!

If music be the food of the soul....then please play on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Anything beats this era.
    agree its CRAP .i loved simple minds u2 the clash, who .whitesnake ,def leopard,abba lol

60's, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Simon and Garfunkel, The Doors, Dusty Springfield, Motown.

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    60's, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Simon and Garfunkel, The Doors, Dusty Springfield, Motown.
    Also very good. Although ...r&b and rock n roll influences still there from Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry. Listen to Chuck Berry's Sweet Little 16 and then the Beach Boys Surfin USA. Not saying the period wasn't good, it was amazing for music too. Like my feelings for the years 1975 - 1985. But Muddy and Chuck ... their influence goes right through to the present day.

I would say that every era has something unique! It would be impossible to say that only one is the best. Music itself is amazing!
    To want to, is to be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by lucybusy View Post
    I would say that every era has something unique! It would be impossible to say that only one is the best. Music itself is amazing!
    And from the first page...

Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    I think it's too close to call because every decade has brought us some classic music, it's often the case that you just have to know where to look for it.

Despite the apparently horrendous nature of the current music industry, there are still pockets of absolute brilliance. For example, I discover many new artists via 'jools Holland' shows, which always offer a tremendous mix of styles and genres.

Ultimately I honestly believe there is new music being created that is of potentially classic quality, and consequently I just celebrate each decade for the timeless contributions they have produced.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, I totally agree with you lucybusy.

Incidentally, welcome to the Forum!
    Last edited by ever-red-e; 28-3-17 at 21:29. Reason: Saying hello

Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    Also very good. Although ...r&b and rock n roll influences still there from Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry. Listen to Chuck Berry's Sweet Little 16 and then the Beach Boys Surfin USA. Not saying the period wasn't good, it was amazing for music too. Like my feelings for the years 1975 - 1985. But Muddy and Chuck ... their influence goes right through to the present day.
    Yes indeed.

My first influential era was..
    Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Duane Eddy, Gene Vincent, Everly Brothers, Fats Domino, Four Seasons, Chet Atkins, Joe Pass, The Shadows.

When all the above came along and started kicking open the doors of popular music, we said goodbye to the likes of Doris Day, Dickie Valentine, Dorothy Squires, Alma Colgan and the rest.... and the novelty songs like 'How Much Is That Doggy In the Window'.... goodbye to Max Bygraves and 'I'm a Blue Toothbrush, You're a Pink Toothbrush,' all all the other silly stuff.

The really significant thing about the period was - even though much of it can sound a bit 'old hat' to today's youngsters - we were first to hear it. It was different, it was raw, and it was new and exciting. I remember being round at my cousin's place, and she'd just bought a new single and put it on the record player (was it a Dansette, I wonder?).
    I jumped up. 'What's that?'
    'Elvis Presley,' she said. 'All Shook Up.'

And then we had...
    Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Small Faces, The Who, Byrds, Beach Boys, Sam Cooke, Arethra Franklin, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, The Animals, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, David Bowie, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix,
    All new.. inventive... stuff we'd never heard before, and we loved it.

And then hard on their heels... more and more and more
    10cc, Devo, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Ian Dury, Madness, XTC....

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Yes indeed.

My first influential era was..
    Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Duane Eddy, Gene Vincent, Everly Brothers, Fats Domino, Four Seasons, Chet Atkins, Joe Pass, The Shadows.

When all the above came along and started kicking open the doors of popular music, we said goodbye to the likes of Doris Day, Dickie Valentine, Dorothy Squires, Alma Colgan and the rest.... and the novelty songs like 'How Much Is That Doggy In the Window'.... goodbye to Max Bygraves and 'I'm a Blue Toothbrush, You're a Pink Toothbrush,' all all the other silly stuff.

The really significant thing about the period was - even though much of it can sound a bit 'old hat' to today's youngsters - we were first to hear it. It was different, it was raw, and it was new and exciting. I remember being round at my cousin's place, and she'd just bought a new single and put it on the record player (was it a Dansette, I wonder?).
    I jumped up. 'What's that?'
    'Elvis Presley,' she said. 'All Shook Up.'

And then we had...
    Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Small Faces, The Who, Byrds, Beach Boys, Sam Cooke, Arethra Franklin, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, The Animals, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, David Bowie, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix,
    All new.. inventive... stuff we'd never heard before, and we loved it.

And then hard on their heels... more and more and more
    10cc, Devo, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Ian Dury, Madness, XTC....
    Spitting Images' Chicken Song and Never met a Nice South African (both of which I still know all the lyrics for ), Star Trekking, Axel F, MaNa MaNa, Any Weird Al....just off the top of my head
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Spitting Images' Chicken Song and Never met a Nice South African (both of which I still know all the lyrics for ), Star Trekking, Axel F, MaNa MaNa, Any Weird Al....just off the top of my head
    You really should stop now, before you start frothing at the mouth and falling over sideways.

You really should stop now, before you start frothing at the mouth and falling over sideways.
    Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Classics!
    An itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polka-dot bikini.

You've got me at it, now!!!

An itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polka-dot bikini.

You've got me at it, now!!!
    I've had Never met a nice south African playing in my head since I posted i.