Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which centre back will we sign come this summer?

1. #1 Crest Which centre back will we sign come this summer? 
    We are in desperate need for a centre halve this summer amongst other positions. But being able to keep clean sheets and have a good defensive record is vital in the key games. We have been very poor now for 2 seasons and I am sure Klopp has his scouts working full time looking for a top quality defender to partner Matip for next season.

We have been linked to Vandijk and Manolas so far. Both will cost over 30mill quite easily.

Who do you think we will sign in the summer?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Yehez is online now Rating revolutionary
    Van Dijk or Manolas will do fine with Matip.

Klavan will stay as backup I guess. Then the 4th spot can be filled by Lovren.

IF Sakho is back however, and we get a new CB, I'd sell Lovren.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.L.F.C View Post
    We are in desperate need for a centre halve this summer amongst other positions. But being able to keep clean sheets and have a good defensive record is vital in the key games. We have been very poor now for 2 seasons and I am sure Klopp has his scouts working full time looking for a top quality defender to partner Matip for next season.

We have been linked to Vandijk and Manolas so far. Both will cost over 30mill quite easily.

Who do you think we will sign in the summer?
    I still maintain we need more than one (although I know it won't happen ), I don't think lovren or klavan or Lucas are good enough going forward and sakho won't be coming back. There's areas all over the pitch we are desperate for quality, klopps done a decent job considering the strength and depth of other teams compared to us.

As for our scouts , I'm sure they are outside Southamptons training ground as usual. That's unfair. They aren't probably allowed in the canteen now. I doubt we will get Virgil, and manolas would be a dream signing but won't be coming here, let's hope klopp pulls another Matip out of his hat , I did want tah but he's been average/ rubbish every time I've watched him this season so I'd rather we went for someone more developed, not sold on the Newcastle cb lasceles we keep being linked to (mainly because they would absolutely fleece us for their captain , and the Carroll fiasco still hurts)

Yehez is online now Rating revolutionary
    Quote Originally Posted by bagaante View Post
    I still maintain we need more than one (although I know it won't happen ), I don't think lovren or klavan or Lucas are good enough going forward and sakho won't be coming back. There's areas all over the pitch we are desperate for quality, klopps done a decent job considering the strength and depth of other teams compared to us.

As for our scouts , I'm sure they are outside Southamptons training ground as usual. That's unfair. They aren't probably allowed in the canteen now. I doubt we will get Virgil, and manolas would be a dream signing but won't be coming here, let's hope klopp pulls another Matip out of his hat , I did want tah but he's been average/ rubbish every time I've watched him this season so I'd rather we went for someone more developed, not sold on the Newcastle cb lasceles we keep being linked to (mainly because they would absolutely fleece us for their captain , and the Carroll fiasco still hurts)
    If we get 4th there is no reason we shouldn't be going for Manolas or Van Dijk. Offer the money and talk them into it. It can be done.

kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    We must have enough loyalty points with Southampton to cash the lot in for Van Dijk surely?

Unfortunatly VanDijk probably will be out for the season. Hope we can do a deal with Southampton. If we sign him give him the captains armband too and build the side around him.

aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kickthetyres View Post
    We must have enough loyalty points with Southampton to cash the lot in for Van Dijk surely?
    ha ha that's funny
    dont look back in anger.

We've been linked with Van Dijk, Manolas, Tah and Lascelles in the past few months.

Personally, I'd love to see Van Dijk come in, but I think he'll have a few very good options. I'm a fan of Manolas too, although I haven't seen much of him this season.

Not keen on Tah though, and although I think Lascelles is very talented, I'd like to see him have a season or two in the PL before making a move for him.

WirralRiddler is online now These posts brought to you by Dr Dre & Only Fools & Horses appreciation society
    I'd be happy enough if we went into next season with Matip, Sakho, Lovren and Klavan as our 4 CB's, to be perfectly honest.

Quote Originally Posted by WirralRiddler View Post
    I'd be happy enough if we went into next season with Matip, Sakho, Lovren and Klavan as our 4 CB's, to be perfectly honest.
    I wouldn't.

Sakho and Lovren can't stay fit for extended periods of time and we know Matip has issues with his ankle.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Someone with pace, strength and positioning.

Nah, we need fresh blood there. Gomez won't be ready and Lucas and Sakho are on the way out.
    We should definitely go shopping.

No idea who we'll bring in, CL will play a massive part

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    One of Manolas, Koulibaly, Romagnoli, Rugani or Van Dijk would be good.

Big mistake letting Caulker leave.

WirralRiddler is online now These posts brought to you by Dr Dre & Only Fools & Horses appreciation society
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnsRed View Post
    Nah, we need fresh blood there. Gomez won't be ready and Lucas and Sakho are on the way out.
    We should definitely go shopping.

No idea who we'll bring in, CL will play a massive part
    There's definitely room for improvement, just saying i think those four would be enough for us, leaving funds to be spent elsewhere. I know Milner is doing a good job but i'd get a new LB before a CB, also a quality goal getter to compete with Firmino and even a LW player to replace/compete with Coutinho.

Thats assuming Sakho will be coming back, but that ship has probably sailed now, in which case we would need a new CB for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    He was never ours to be fair...

There's definitely room for improvement, just saying i think those four would be enough for us, leaving funds to be spent elsewhere. I know Milner is doing a good job but i'd get a new LB before a CB, also a quality goal getter to compete with Firmino and even a LW player to replace/compete with Coutinho.

Thats assuming Sakho will be coming back, but that ship has probably sailed now, in which case we would need a new CB for sure.
    I hate the thought of having to sacrifice a midfielder or forward for a CB but I don't think we'll have to.

Its been a problem for years now. Lovren and Klavan both do a job but we need someone who can form a strong partnership with Matip.

We have to sort it, whatever the cost.

Hopefully one that can run faster than me.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Manolas won't be signing for us.

Red-And-Proud is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    Manolas won't be signing for us.
    Who would you hope we do and that we may have a chance of signing
    Klopps beard twin

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    We should never have messed him around playing him out of position. Straight from day 1 when we played him as a striker against Arsenal, even though the tactic worked as we won after doing it.
    YNWA

Klopps beard twin

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    We've been linked with Van Dijk, Manolas, Tah and Lascelles in the past few months.

Personally, I'd love to see Van Dijk come in, but I think he'll have a few very good options. I'm a fan of Manolas too, although I haven't seen much of him this season.

Not keen on Tah though, and although I think Lascelles is very talented, I'd like to see him have a season or two in the PL before making a move for him.
    Pretty much my feelings. Van Dijk first choice, more than happy with Manolas though I doubt it'd happen, Tah isn't very good and Lascelles looks potentially good but would much rather someone more established.

Van Dijk stands out though, especially given the general dearth of even competent centre backs in world football.

Matip is a class act and defends by seeing the danger, we need a leader type who will win the duels in the air and a defender to attack the ball and just be a rock for us.

We need a rock in our defence who can help us take the pressure better and then Matip can work with a new twin swivel system type central defender to play along side him, but it is not twins who are too alike, but like some twins in real life seem to be to work well together, but have other things about them, but they make each other stronger.
    Last edited by 10Elfrates; 20-3-17 at 13:58.
    Mourinho's the special one, Klopp's the normal one, I am the weird one!

Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    Pretty much my feelings. Van Dijk first choice, more than happy with Manolas though I doubt it'd happen, Tah isn't very good and Lascelles looks potentially good but would much rather someone more established.

Van Dijk stands out though, especially given the general dearth of even competent centre backs in world football.
    Yeah. I just think a Matip & van Dijk centre back pairing could be very effective. van Dijk is a leader and like Matip, reads the game well and is composed on the ball.

I think we should put a bid in, but I would t be surprised to see City and a couple of other sides doing so, too.

Attempting to improve the defence wont happen if we don't;
    a) Improve our shape off the ball.
    b) Improve our fullback (especially on the left).
    c) Add more height to the team with regards to defending set pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    Attempting to improve the defence wont happen if we don't;
    a) Improve our shape off the ball.
    b) Improve our fullback (especially on the left).
    c) Add more height to the team with regards to defending set pieces.
    d) Add a good CB as the OP discusses?
    Klopps beard twin

Champions League football is a must.

Klopp and the extra carrot of CL footie will be a good incentive (hopefully) for players in the summer.

Like many I think Van Dijk would be excellent, but we may be priced out of that deal tbh.

I like Koulibaly from Napoli and he was a favourite of Rafa Benitez's too which means he's got something defensively.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    Yeah. I just think a Matip & van Dijk centre back pairing could be very effective. van Dijk is a leader and like Matip, reads the game well and is composed on the ball.

I think we should put a bid in, but I would t be surprised to see City and a couple of other sides doing so, too.
    I think there's a good chance we could turn the Van Dijk situation into a similar one to the Lovren one. He might feel a slight extra sense of loyalty than Dejan did now he's been given the captain's armband, but they were always going to be a stepping stone for him. The worry as you say is if a rival comes in for him. I would be publicly unsettling him with our interest as soon as possible though. Would be happy to pay a premium. It's not as though there's many other options out there that wouldn't be insanely risky.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    Champions League football is a must.
    It may be a must be have to have a plan for if we fall short. Qualification is far from secure.