Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 93

Thread: Formula 1 2017 thread

  1. #31  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    I'll be interested to see what the call is if Bottas catches Lewis. He's lapping much faster and lapping faster than Vettel. There's still 23 laps left so if Bottas gets up to Lewis Mercedes might tell Lewis to let him through.

    His tyres might start to slow soon but if they don't then it'll be interesting to see what happens.

    Only 3.4 second difference now.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I'll be interested to see what the call is if Bottas catches Lewis. He's lapping much faster and lapping faster than Vettel. There's still 23 laps left so if Bottas gets up to Lewis Mercedes might tell Lewis to let him through.

    His tyres might start to slow soon but if they don't then it'll be interesting to see what happens.

    Only 3.4 second difference now.
    He's not going to catch Vettel now but he's certainly still lapping quicker than Lewis. Gap down to two and a half seconds.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Vettel wins tomorrow

    Trust me
    Good call! Hope you stuck a tenner on it.

    Vettel wins
    Hamilton second
    Bottas third
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    46,624
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Vettel wins tomorrow

    Trust me
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    46,624
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Good call! Hope you stuck a tenner on it.

    Vettel wins
    Hamilton second
    Bottas third
    What were the odds !!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    What were the odds !!
    I think he was about 7/2 at the start of the race. Would have been higher at the start of the weekend.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    46,624
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I think he was about 7/2 at the start of the race. Would have been higher at the start of the weekend.
    Bummer
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    5,788
    What's with all those twonkers booing Hamilton? Anyway, looks like we might have an interesting season ahead.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    What's with all those twonkers booing Hamilton? Anyway, looks like we might have an interesting season ahead.
    A lot of people don't like Lewis.

    Think it will be, if Bottas hadn't got so far behind at the start then it would have been interesting to see which Mercedes would have finished 2nd
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,425
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    A lot of people don't like Lewis.

    Think it will be, if Bottas hadn't got so far behind at the start then it would have been interesting to see which Mercedes would have finished 2nd
    Lewis didn't stop whinging all race.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    46,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    Lewis didn't stop whinging all race.
    That's what champions do
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,880
    Oh god no. Yawn! Yawn! Its F1.

    Nine months of coverage on all tv formats.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    http://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-...ce-of-my-life/





    Fernando Alonso has billed his Australian Grand Prix as “probably the best race” of his life as he ran in 10th place despite an uncompetitive car and having to lift to save fuel.

    Alonso began Sunday’s Australian Grand Prix from 12th on the grid and made up one place off the line.

    He progressed to 10th when Romain Grosjean was forced to retire his Haas and was running inside the points until seven laps before the end when his suspension failed.

    That initially allowed Esteban Ocon and Nico Hulkenberg to attack for position with Alonso retiring his MCL32 two laps later.

    “It was probably the best race of my life until that moment,” he said.

    “Few times I’ve had such an uncompetitive car, without any winter preparation, having to save fuel in a brutal way – I think we had to lift about a second per lap – and even so we were in the points.

    “It was a pretty big surprise what we were doing, but in the end we couldn’t complete it. But it was probably one of the best races I’ve had.”

    The Spaniard, though, was quick to point out that Sunday’s P10 was not McLaren-Honda’s true pace.

    He told Sky Sports: “I think we are last.

    “We were ten because the qualifying lap yesterday was extremely good, the start I was lucky to gain one position and Grosjean’s retirement gave us the second one.

    “But I think in normal conditions we should be last and before last.”

    Feel bad for Alonso, arguably the best driver in F1 and he's in one of the worst cars. McLaren need to drop Honda and go back to Mercedes or a different supplier otherwise they're in trouble. Alonso won't be there next year and if the car still isn't performing (and after 3 years of trying with virtually no improvement) they won't be able to attract a top driver and will be firmly one of the back markers.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    http://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-...ce-of-my-life/






    Feel bad for Alonso, arguably the best driver in F1 and he's in one of the worst cars. McLaren need to drop Honda and go back to Mercedes or a different supplier otherwise they're in trouble. Alonso won't be there next year and if the car still isn't performing (and after 3 years of trying with virtually no improvement) they won't be able to attract a top driver and will be firmly one of the back markers.
    I'm surprised they stuck with Honda, did they have a long term deal with them?
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I'm surprised they stuck with Honda, did they have a long term deal with them?
    It's pretty long term as far as I understand.

    I don't think realistically they could have split in the winter. McLaren's belief seems to be that you can't beat a works team using their engine. So with that in mind they want to have exclusive access to Honda, and if they supply a good engine then they're laughing. After going through the teething issues in the first two years it wouldn't really make sense to split at the start of the winter as by now Honda should be kicking on. The issue now is that 3 years on the package hasn't improved one jot and doesn't look like improving either. Honda have said they will have a new engine in 2 months, but lets be honest, they've had 3 years to build a good engine and haven't managed so what are they going to do in the next two months?

    I think it is possible to beat a works team with their own engine, look at Red bull and Renault as a current example but its harder and you need really people in place. It's a difficult one for McLaren and I have no idea what is best for them to do.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Vettel wins tomorrow

    Trust me
    Spot-on prediction aylesbyred. Did you put any money on it?

    Overall I enjoyed the race, it is promising to see Ferrari looking strong to battle with Mercedes at the sharp end. However McLaren look totally lost with no signs of redemption soon. Does anyone think they will sack Honda?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    46,624
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    Spot-on prediction aylesbyred. Did you put any money on it?

    Overall I enjoyed the race, it is promising to see Ferrari looking strong to battle with Mercedes at the sharp end. However McLaren look totally lost with no signs of redemption soon. Does anyone think they will sack Honda?
    No I never mate and your posts are proper hard to read man
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    No I never mate and your posts are proper hard to read man
    Pity, you could have earned a few quid there aylesbyred.

    As for my posts, Praetorian once kindly suggested wearing Hope this helps.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Honda will next month announce a new partnership to supply engines for Sauber, but are at risk of losing a major partnership with McLaren after two years of poor performance and a difficult start to the third year of the deal. (Daily Express)

    This is interesting as I'm sure the Honda deal with McLaren is exclusive, so I wonder if they are breaking up.

    Also that Sauber will be rank unless Honda sort their issues out.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Only 20 minutes of running in the two practice sessions today because of weather.

    Due to the cloud and smog the medical helicopter can't land at the airport and no running will take place while this remains.

    There seems to be doubts now about the race on Sunday as the weather may be the same, talk has been of doing a qualifying session and race tomorrow. Or possibly moving the race to Monday, but that's a huge issues as they are racing in Bahrain again next weekend and time is in short supply as it is.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Hamilton pole
    Vettel Second
    Bottas Third
    Kimi Fourth

    Not between them at all.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    46,624
    Ha ha Mercedes team just radiod Bottas to say "still a chance of P4 Nico"
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Ha ha Mercedes team just radiod Bottas to say "still a chance of P4 Nico"


    Bottas seems to be struggling to get the best out of the Mercedes.

    Rosberg was very and still is very under rated
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,425
    Comfortable win for Lewis, Bottas should be embarrassed

    Another good drive by Max, he really is going to be the big star of the future.

    Not sure on the actual rules but I can't believe Vettel got away with being out of position at the start, what's the point of having position if drivers are allowed to start from wherever ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    Comfortable win for Lewis, Bottas should be embarrassed

    Another good drive by Max, he really is going to be the big star of the future.

    Not sure on the actual rules but I can't believe Vettel got away with being out of position at the start, what's the point of having position if drivers are allowed to start from wherever ?
    Not sure either, he wasn't ahead of his marks so that part was ok, so its a question of how much of the car needs to be in the box. He was miles over.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    Comfortable win for Lewis, Bottas should be embarrassed

    Another good drive by Max, he really is going to be the big star of the future.

    Not sure on the actual rules but I can't believe Vettel got away with being out of position at the start, what's the point of having position if drivers are allowed to start from wherever ?
    It was a diabolical decision to not punish him. If a driver did that any further back from the front row they would at risk of crashing at the start. So what happens if someone else now does that?

    We watch NASCAR for entertainment and for a seriously well set up structure for rules. F1 has never been good at policing either rules or itself.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    It was a diabolical decision to not punish him. If a driver did that any further back from the front row they would at risk of crashing at the start. So what happens if someone else now does that?

    We watch NASCAR for entertainment and for a seriously well set up structure for rules. F1 has never been good at policing either rules or itself.
    You're spot-on Edinburgher, it was a bizarre decision not to punish him, he was clearly at fault by quite some margin.

    As for the race, it looks like the pattern is forming nicely with an intriguing battle between Vettel and Hamilton for the title. Bottas is still nowhere to be found right now. Reasonable pace from the Red Bulls at least, and it was great to see young Max performing well as usual.

    Hopefully we'll get a good season out of that lot.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #58  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    You're spot-on Edinburgher, it was a bizarre decision not to punish him, he was clearly at fault by quite some margin.

    As for the race, it looks like the pattern is forming nicely with an intriguing battle between Vettel and Hamilton for the title. Bottas is still nowhere to be found right now. Reasonable pace from the Red Bulls at least, and it was great to see young Max performing well as usual.

    Hopefully we'll get a good season out of that lot.
    Lets hope the best driverwins
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #59  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Lets hope the best driverwins
    Cheers for the tribute Edinburgher.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #60  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Lets hope the best driverwins
    OMG! Its infectious!
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •