Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Motorsport Thread

Fernando Alonso to miss Monaco Grand Prix for Indianapolis 500
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Fernando Alonso to miss Monaco Grand Prix for Indianapolis 500
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...-Indy-500.html

I've got to admit my first thought was Alonso is leaving F1 at the end of the season but this article suggests otherwise. Its interesting them touting a one off race for Button.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...-Indy-500.html

I've got to admit my first thought was Alonso is leaving F1 at the end of the season but this article suggests otherwise. Its interesting them touting a one off race for Button.
    Interesting.

What that tells you is they don't really think they will have improved all that much by Monaco because if they thought they might they would be keeping Alonso in the F1 car as points are massively valuable, and on a track that is not power based that should suit them.

Would love to see Jenson back. he lives in Monaco so it would be a home grand prix technically for him.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Interesting.

What that tells you is they don't really think they will have improved all that much by Monaco because if they thought they might they would be keeping Alonso in the F1 car as points are massively valuable, and on a track that is not power based that should suit them.

Would love to see Jenson back. he lives in Monaco so it would be a home grand prix technically for him.
    Me too, I was surprised to have missed him a bit this season.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Me too, I was surprised to have missed him a bit this season.
    It would be fab to see JB back in the car. I'm just surprised SKY haven't fired my hero Damon Hill and given Jenson his job. I loved Damon as a driver and gentleman, but he isn't the greatest pundit, although very insightful.

Jenson Button will return to F1 to race in the Monaco GP as Fernando Alonso's stand-in, McLaren-Honda have confirmed.

Alonso's unexpected move to compete in next month's Indianapolis 500 has presented McLaren with the opportunity to draft Button back in for F1's showpiece race, just five months after he started a sabbatical.

The two-year deal Button signed with McLaren last autumn allowed him to take 2017 off from F1 competition, but included the proviso that he could be drafted back in as cover if one of the team's race drivers was absent.

"I'm thrilled to be making a one-off return to Formula 1 racing, and I couldn't think of a better place to make that return than my adopted home Grand Prix: Monaco," Button said.

"I'm looking forward to pitting myself against the unique racing challenge that is the Monaco Grand Prix. I'll drive the MCL32 around Monaco in the McLaren sim beforehand, and I reckon I'll be ready for the race after doing that.

"I'm supremely fit, having done a lot of triathlon training recently, so I have no worries on that score. And it'll be nice to say 'hi' to all my old Formula 1 mates too, and hopefully to give the fans something to cheer about."

Button's contract includes the option of a full-time race return in 2018

Button, who turned 37 in January, has raced in 15 Monaco GPs, winning the 2009 event for Brawn. He is now set to rack up his 306th F1 start on May 28 - matching Michael Schumacher for second place in the all-time appearance table.

Mclaren's racing director Eric Boullier said: "I was truly delighted when Jenson accepted our suggestion that he race at Monaco instead of Fernando.

"Jenson is a class act. He's a superb driver - fast, smooth and precise - and he won't have lost any of his competitive edge over the past few months. After all, he's missed only a handful of Grands Prix since his last outing in Abu Dhabi in late November last year, and he's as fit as a fiddle. Also, he's always been good at Monaco. He'll do a great job for us, I'm sure of that."

Button has scored points on each of his last four Monaco appearances, with the low-speed, twisty track again likely to offer McLaren's best early-season chance of a stronger result amid their latest difficult start to the season with Honda.

The Briton has spent recent months in California competing in triathlons and earlier this month came first in his age group at the Ironman 70.3 event, only to be disqualified for cycling too fast through a reduced-speed zone.
    http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...-for-monaco-gp

Not too surprising but nice to see none the less.

Hamilton suggesting he would like a shot at NASCAR. Now I would pay extra for that! I already have to pay Premier Sports 12.99a month for the privilege and it's the only thing we watch on Premier.

Anyway, don't think he would find it too easy. All the side drafting, pushing and tapping at 200mph would be a bit difficult for him to get used to. And the incredible tight three abreast driving would be something new for him Still I would love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Hamilton suggesting he would like a shot at NASCAR. Now I would pay extra for that! I already have to pay Premier Sports 12.99a month for the privilege and it's the only thing we watch on Premier.

Anyway, don't think he would find it too easy. All the side drafting, pushing and tapping at 200mph would be a bit difficult for him to get used to. And the incredible tight three abreast driving would be something new for him Still I would love to see it.
    I've never been able to get into Nascar if im honest. Would be interesting to see Hamilton do it though.

Vettel fastest in FP1

I've never been able to get into Nascar if im honest. Would be interesting to see Hamilton do it though.
    It was the wife who fell in love with it. I initially looked down on her/it from my superior F1 lofty position. No longer. We've gone to the US to see some races and I have to say much better than any of the F1races I've been to. The races I went to in the seventies at least then the noise was something else. In fact we haven't been to a F1 race now since Hill (Damon of course!) retired.

The ground shook at the start of races, but got quieter, more controlled as all the electronics came in. NASCAR on the other hand is still like that and being able to see pretty much all the track at the ones we have been to means you call literally follow yr driver all race.

It was the wife who fell in love with it. I initially looked down on her/it from my superior F1 lofty position. No longer. We've gone to the US to see some races and I have to say much better than any of the F1races I've been to. The races I went to in the seventies at least then the noise was something else. In fact we haven't been to a F1 race now since Hill (Damon of course!) retired.

The ground shook at the start of races, but got quieter, more controlled as all the electronics came in. NASCAR on the other hand is still like that and being able to see pretty much all the track at the ones we have been to means you call literally follow yr driver all race.
    The idea of seeing the whole track is great, I have to admit, I just don't get as excited watching them all drive round in a circle as I do an actual track with straights and different variations in the corners. But it must be something I'm missing because NASCAR is hugely popular.

The idea of seeing the whole track is great, I have to admit, I just don't get as excited watching them all drive round in a circle as I do an actual track with straights and different variations in the corners. But it must be something I'm missing because NASCAR is hugely popular.
    Try watching the Indy 500 at the end of May as a bridge between the two -Chris-, it's a magnificent race which really highlights the joys of oval racing.

Incidentally I don't like NASCAR either, but I've loved Indycar on ovals ever since Mansell took them by storm back in '93.

Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    Try watching the Indy 500 at the end of May as a bridge between the two -Chris-, it's a magnificent race which really highlights the joys of oval racing.

Incidentally I don't like NASCAR either, but I've loved Indycar on ovals ever since Mansell took them by storm back in '93.
    Now that Alonso is is going to race in it I will probably try and give it a watch and see what it's like.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider

He came close winning the 500 didn't he ?

Bottas pole !

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Bottas pole !
    Haven't watched it yet but I'm delighted for him.

Now that Alonso is is going to race in it I will probably try and give it a watch and see what it's like.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it -Chris-.

He came close winning the 500 didn't he ?
    He was leading at the final safety car period, but was robbed at the restart by two more experienced Indycar racers and finished third. He was racing with a bad back following an operation having crashed at Phoenix raceway a few weeks before, but raced through the pain barrier to compete at Indy.

You should have seen him at the other ovals though Aylesbyred, he was an absolute monster who went on to lift the title that year aswell. What a talent he was.

What a great race that was.

Vettel with a great drive but I feel a bit for Bottas, Hamilton clearly got the better strategy there and Bottas played the team game. He only has a one year deal so things like that this year will help him get that extended where he can then maybe push back a bit.

What can you say about McLaren. Neither car has finished a race this year if I'm not mistake and Stoffel didn't even start this one. Alonso was clearly frustrated again and they were 10MPH down in the speed traps. How is that even possible?

Palmer is struggling again, don't see him getting a drive beyond this season if I'm honest.

What a great race that was.

Vettel with a great drive but I feel a bit for Bottas, Hamilton clearly got the better strategy there and Bottas played the team game. He only has a one year deal so things like that this year will help him get that extended where he can then maybe push back a bit.

What can you say about McLaren. Neither car has finished a race this year if I'm not mistake and Stoffel didn't even start this one. Alonso was clearly frustrated again and they were 10MPH down in the speed traps. How is that even possible?

Palmer is struggling again, don't see him getting a drive beyond this season if I'm honest.
    How can these so called professional teams like Mercedes make so many errors. You look in the pit box and there 10 people on laptops. 4 more on the pit wall. Half a dozen senior bozos standing about. Then more folk on computers in the back office and also back at base in England in realtime. Yet they can't work out when to pit, when to play their jolly and so on. It never ceases to amaze me.

Mclaren need to bin Honda and buy any engine available.

Sadly Palmer doesn't seem to have it. We could be down to one driver from the UK next year. Pretty sad state.

How can these so called professional teams like Mercedes make so many errors. You look in the pit box and there 10 people on laptops. 4 more on the pit wall. Half a dozen senior bozos standing about. Then more folk on computers in the back office and also back at base in England in realtime. Yet they can't work out when to pit, when to play their jolly and so on. It never ceases to amaze me.

Mclaren need to bin Honda and buy any engine available.

Sadly Palmer doesn't seem to have it. We could be down to one driver from the UK next year. Pretty sad state.
    Ferrari have been king of the pits so far this season. Getting their strategy spot on.

I have no idea what McLaren do. The talk of getting a Mercedes power unit seems to have died down so where does that leave them?

I thought it was a fascinating race with intrigue from start to finish.

Lewis drove superbly and nearly made the comeback stick, Vettel was excellent throughout, controlling the race from the front, while Bottas was rather hamstrung by his set-up problem (his rear tyres were over inflated and couldn't be altered).

As for McLaren, they seem to go from bad to worse with no discernible signs of even a modest recovery. I feel sorry for Alonso, a truly magnificent racer whose car does him a great disservice (I can't wait to see him at Indianapolis).

Don't know if anyone seen Billy Mongers accident in F4 this weekend, I know the video has been in social media and stuff but he's had to have both legs amputated. Absolutely devastating for the kid

Don't know if anyone seen Billy Mongers accident in F4 this weekend, I know the video has been in social media and stuff but he's had to have both legs amputated. Absolutely devastating for the kid
    What a horrendous accident, I've just seen it now -Chris-. Tragic that the lad has lost both legs, all his dreams shattered in an instant. Stay strong Billy.

What a horrendous accident, I've just seen it now -Chris-. Tragic that the lad has lost both legs, all his dreams shattered in an instant. Stay strong Billy.
    Absolutely horrible. The kid had absolutely no chance either. I think he was stuck in the car for 90 minutes. For how bad it was he's also extremely lucky it wasn't worse.

Nearly 600k raised including a great donation by Jensen Button. The world is full of good sometimes.

Nearly 600k raised including a great donation by Jensen Button. The world is full of good sometimes.
    It is. Some of the donations from ordinary people of like 200 pounds is crazy but it's lovely to see and I'm sure it will mean a lot to him.

As for Jenson he's just a class act full stop.

It is. Some of the donations from ordinary people of like 200 pounds is crazy but it's lovely to see and I'm sure it will mean a lot to him.

As for Jenson he's just a class act full stop.
    Sometimes ordinary people can be absolutely amazing and this is clearly one of those times, a fantastic effort to raise so much for the lad. Jenson is of course a class act as you say and doesn't surprise me at all. A great response from everyone.

Only just noticed the grand prix next weekend is in Russia.

Probably the worst track on the calendar.

Only just noticed the grand prix next weekend is in Russia.

Probably the worst track on the calendar.
    What makes you say this -Chris-? Is it the track l-a-y-o-u-t, the overtaking opportunities (or lack of) or just the overall spectacle? Have the races there all been poor (I can't remember them in all honesty, perhaps that says it all)?

What makes you say this -Chris-? Is it the track l-a-y-o-u-t, the overtaking opportunities (or lack of) or just the overall spectacle? Have the races there all been poor (I can't remember them in all honesty, perhaps that says it all)?
    It just seems a bit of a non spectacle. The first race they had their was *********** awful if I remember correctly and that has probably set the tone. The track is also about 56% flat out or something like that which is a little bit much for my liking. And the setting just feels very cold and sterile. That's just my opinion of course.

Although speaking of the track being 56% flat out McLaren are going to really struggle. Alonso may burst some blood vessels this weekend.