Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Motorsport Thread

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    Good race that. Red Bull finding some real speed from somewhere. Made up for Max. A horrible year but a perfect weekend for him.
    Future world champion that lad.
    Heís the future alright but the sport is still bereft of any real racing
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Heís the future alright but the sport is still bereft of any real racing
    Think this might be as good as it gets till the rule changes regarding engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Malaysian GP result - 1) Verstappen - 2) Hamilton - 3) Ricciardo

But what was that after the race - Vettel with his rear left on top of the engine... Bizarre
    Looked like Vettel made that crash happen. Could it be there was something illegal about his car Andy he wanted to avoid it being weighed and examined?..........

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Looked like Vettel made that crash happen. Could it be there was something illegal about his car Andy he wanted to avoid it being weighed and examined?..........
    I doubt it but it's an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I doubt it but it's an interesting one.
    To be fair I doubt it as well. But it is true that a car starting from the back of the grid doesn't get examined before the race. But it does afterwards for ride height, weight and and various other items that the F1 laws dictate must meet. A wrecked car can't get many of those tests. Even the barge board underneath the car could be damaged beyond checking after car loses a wheel.

I don't know about it being intentional but it was certainly bizarre, dangerous and potentially disastrous Edinburgher.

Apart from the obvious danger to the safety of Vettel in particular, it may be the final 'nail in the coffin' of his title challenge if he takes a grid penalty in the next race.

That may mean we are denied a close race once again because of some careless driving.

Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    I don't know about it being intentional but it was certainly bizarre, dangerous and potentially disastrous Edinburgher.

Apart from the obvious danger to the safety of Vettel in particular, it may be the final 'nail in the coffin' of his title challenge if he takes a grid penalty in the next race.

That may mean we are denied a close race once again because of some careless driving.
    Ferrari have said the gearbox is ok! Now i am seriously confused. How the hell can a gearbox survive the back wheel being ripped out along with the driveshaft and the rear suspension being completely ripped apart with no damage? I honestly cannot buy that.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...teams-so-angry

This is very interesting. This could get ugly quickly.

While Max Verstappen reigned supreme and the title battle between Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel took another turn in Malaysia, the makings of an F1 controversy was starting to emerge behind the scenes.

It involves the resignation of the FIA's technical guru, Renault's reported pursuit, and the outrage of rival F1 teams. Come this way for the full story...

Who is Marcin Budkowski?
    While Budkowski has only been in his most recent role with the FIA for eight months, the aerodynamicist has been building a fine reputation in Formula 1 ever since starting his journey with Prost Grand Prix in 2001.

The Pole joined Ferrari a year later and after supervising wind tunnel development at Maranello until 2007, he moved on to McLaren and took up several technical roles before becoming the team's Head of Aerodynamics in 2012.

However, his rise with McLaren was soon cut short as part of the huge changes behind the scenes ahead of a Honda partnership, with Red Bull's Peter Prodromou drafted in as their new aero chief at the end of the 2014 season.

And so, Budkowski moved on to the FIA to become the Technical and Sporting coordinator for F1's governing body - seen as an eventual successor to the likes of Charlie Whiting (race director) and Jo Bauer (technical delegate) in the future. Indeed, Budkowski took the technical chief role previously held by Whiting in February this year.

With that, Budkowski has been in a privileged position when it comes to current and future research and development ideas from teams, with Red Bull chief Christian Horner pointing out that "extremely recently, he's been in people's wind tunnels and looking at intimate details of next year's cars."

"Only two weeks ago we were talking to him about suspension systems," Horner added to Sky F1.

Being transparent with the FIA and giving them access to R&D and planning is common practice for teams and certainly not alarming in isolation - but tensions were soon to rise prior to the Malaysia GP as Budkowski's resignation was confirmed.

While news of his departure was a surprise but not anything to particularly concern teams - bosses were shocked to learn, allegedly in an email from Whiting, that Budkowski would be on gardening leave for just three months. And they were furious to hear reports that Renault had lined up the 40-year-old to join them at the end of this notice period.

If that timeframe is correct, Budkowski could in theory then start a new job at the end of the calendar year - and thus potentially make a significant contribution to next year's car - all the while armed with critical information about Renault's competitors. It's a situation teams fear, and want to avoid.

How have the teams reacted?
    It would be fair to say they're not best pleased.

The bosses of Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams, Mercedes, McLaren and Force India - all part of F1's Strategy Group - came together for a hastily-convened meeting on Friday in Sepang, and while a proposal of a £150m budget cap was thought to be on the agenda, Budkowski's future was also discussed.

By coincidence, Renault are not a member of that Strategy Group.

"We'd take major issue with that if he does end up at another team," Horner later said in a press conference. "Marcin is a good guy but the problem is he's been privy to everybody's most intimate secrets from the past and the future. He has all that knowledge in his head - and to expect him not to use that is pretty naive.

"It's vital the teams have faith in the governing body and they can share their technical secrets, in confidence that information doesn't end up with a rival team."

Toto Wolff shared a similar view. "I don't think it's correct because he's had access to a lot of information," the Mercedes chief explained. "Especially from Mercedes so he will tell everybody else."

"It's a no-go," Toro Rosso's Franz Tost told Sky F1. "They know all the technical details from different teams and this is a big advantage for the team that they join because they get all the latest technical information."

The key sticking point appears to be the length of gardening leave, with Horner claiming a delayed start to the new job - which he firmly believed would be with Renault - would "take all the emotion out of it".

"A three-month notice period and for him then to turn up in a competitor team is entirely inappropriate," he insisted.

Wolff added: "I personally get on well with Martin and we wish him success for his career, that is clear, but we need to look at the timings. It's important to have a certain stability and understanding how quick somebody can leave the FIA and join another competitive team."

A later start date would indeed negate several of the issues and bosses explained that the "industry standard" gardening leave is usually around 12-18 months. However, it has been claimed that Swiss law prohibits stopping an individual from working for longer than three months. The FIA's headquarters are in Geneva.

So what can teams do?

"What we can do is not to share any more information with people from the FIA," was Tost's proposal, while Horner issued a word of warning.

"I think we can make our feelings pretty clear to the FIA," he said. "Let's assume he does go to Renault, the problem is that if that something that looks like something from a Red Bull or Mercedes or Ferrari ends up on their car in the first six months of next season, it could actually end up being a problem for the team that ends up employing him."

Renault's response...
    In a revealing interview on the Malaysia GP Race Show with Sky F1, Cyril Abiteboul would neither confirm nor deny the story but said Renault had to be "aggressive" and were not in F1 "to make friends".

"We want to be one of the top teams by 2020," the Renault chief said. "It is far away, but given we know what needs to be done, if you look at the 1.5-second gap between the midfield and the top teams, it is a big jump. And that is why we need to be aggressive in what we do to be there by 2020.

"In the sport you are not here to make friends. Obviously there are ways to do things, but it's a case for any engineer - and Enstone badly needs to grow.

"When we took the place it was 475 people, it is now 620 people. It is no secret that those people need to come from somewhere, and we need to go chasing from some of the other teams."

Still, Abiteboul was insistent that Renault intends to play by the rules and wants to respect teams' IP [intellectual property] rights.

want to make it clear that Renault has a very clear track record of being extremely fair and loyal," he said. "So whatever we will do we will do it in a very loyal way and fair way towards our competitors."

And it also must be stressed that, if Renault really have sounded out or even agreed a deal with Bundkowski, they have done nothing wrong by doing so.

"Is this opportunism from Renault?," noted Sky F1's Ted Kravitz. "They acting above board. If they're told that this guy only has a three-month gardening leave package then you go for it. A lot of other teams would."

While that may be true, teams have reportedly already written to FIA president Jean Todt and F1 chairman Chase Carey to discuss the implications of Budkowski's departure and next move.

Whatever happens, expect this saga to rumble on for a while yet...

Ferrari have said the gearbox is ok! Now i am seriously confused. How the hell can a gearbox survive the back wheel being ripped out along with the driveshaft and the rear suspension being completely ripped apart with no damage? I honestly cannot buy that.
    I think you're right -Chris-, there is something suspicious about this unbreakable gearbox. After an impact like that everyone seems to agree that the gearbox ought to be 'toast' - how the **** did it survive that crash?

You know what, you could be onto something. Look at this!

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...crash-released

New footage from the crash, Vettel drives right into him. Stroll actually tries to get out of the way. What the ****!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    I think you're right -Chris-, there is something suspicious about this unbreakable gearbox. After an impact like that everyone seems to agree that the gearbox ought to be 'toast' - how the **** did it survive that crash?
    It's absolutely unheard off!

I thought the idea of Vettel taking his punishment (or lack of it) after shunting Hamilton in Baku, was that he wasn't allowed to be involved in this kind of mishap again

The incident of smashing into Hamilton was bad enough but then to lay all blame on Hamilton was even worse

Well clearly shunting into Stroll after the race surely counts as reckless dangerous driving (with this new footage emerging that it was 100% Vettel's fault?

let alone again trying to blame someone else and a rookie who is slightly defenseless in a way, shows how classless he is yet again

Hamilton can defend himself on and off the track, but Stroll? bit harsh to publicly do this to a young man in his 1st season

Where's his punishment? where's his race ban?
    How has his gear box survived?
    What of the rumour's of Ferrari swapping Vettels dodgy car for Kimi's perfectly healthy car?
    What was "dodgy" about Vettel's car, he needed to hide in a crash?

all interesting stuff

One thing is for sure, surely everyone is backing Hamilton to win this title regardless of what people think of him as a person, surely no-one wants Ferrari to win let alone Vettel

Quote Originally Posted by SurreyLiverpoolFan1983 View Post
    I thought the idea of Vettel taking his punishment (or lack of it) after shunting Hamilton in Baku, was that he wasn't allowed to be involved in this kind of mishap again

The incident of smashing into Hamilton was bad enough but then to lay all blame on Hamilton was even worse

Well clearly shunting into Stroll after the race surely counts as reckless dangerous driving (with this new footage emerging that it was 100% Vettel's fault?

let alone again trying to blame someone else and a rookie who is slightly defenseless in a way, shows how classless he is yet again

Hamilton can defend himself on and off the track, but Stroll? bit harsh to publicly do this to a young man in his 1st season

Where's his punishment? where's his race ban?
    How has his gear box survived?
    What of the rumour's of Ferrari swapping Vettels dodgy car for Kimi's perfectly healthy car?
    What was "dodgy" about Vettel's car, he needed to hide in a crash?

all interesting stuff

One thing is for sure, surely everyone is backing Hamilton to win this title regardless of what people think of him as a person, surely no-one wants Ferrari to win let alone Vettel
    I don't think they swapped the cars but after seeing this footage, plus Vettel making sure he took his steering wheel (which he isn't allowed to do btw) plus the gearbox appearing to be ok I think serious questions need to be asked of the FIA.

I wanted Hamilton to win anyway. Can't stand Vettel or Ferrari so.

I don't think they swapped the cars but after seeing this footage, plus Vettel making sure he took his steering wheel (which he isn't allowed to do btw) plus the gearbox appearing to be ok I think serious questions need to be asked of the FIA.

I remember about a month ago Talksport doing a drive time show on Hamilton and why he seems to be unpopular in the UK but loved elsewhere, and still never really got an answer

Not sure why people hate on him

From Mercedes point of view and Toto said it this week, we just give him a car to drive and he drives it dam fast, what more do we need?

If him going all around the world in between race weekends helps him relax and turn up on Thursday in that mindset, who are we to change him?

I personally am a big fan of his, he's English to start with, and I just love the way he goes about his career

not there to make friends, but to win every race

the fact that even Alonso now has amazing respect for him given there history shows to me something is unique about Hamilton which even Alonso relates to

Quote Originally Posted by SurreyLiverpoolFan1983 View Post
    I remember about a month ago Talksport doing a drive time show on Hamilton and why he seems to be unpopular in the UK but loved elsewhere, and still never really got an answer

Not sure why people hate on him

From Mercedes point of view and Toto said it this week, we just give him a car to drive and he drives it dam fast, what more do we need?

If him going all around the world in between race weekends helps him relax and turn up on Thursday in that mindset, who are we to change him?

I personally am a big fan of his, he's English to start with, and I just love the way he goes about his career

not there to make friends, but to win every race

the fact that even Alonso now has amazing respect for him given there history shows to me something is unique about Hamilton which even Alonso relates to
    I don't particularly like or dislike him.

I think the way he can come across sometimes rubs people up the wrong way however I'm fine with him. He's not my favourite driver but he's not my least favourite either, but I do have a soft spot for Mercedes.

Either way I dislike Ferrari and Vettel a lot and what is going on just now is not helping.

The English just like to hate winners. Itís a quaint tradition going back years.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator

My thoughts when the crash happened was why?

The fact he had to slow down so much at the end would indicate his fuel level or weight was critical...something that can lead to disqualification and bans.

And it's hard to get an accurate weight when bits of your car are all over the track...

It just smelt a fit funny...
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post

The fact he had to slow down so much at the end would indicate his fuel level or weight was critical...something that can lead to disqualification and bans.

And it's hard to get an accurate weight when bits of your car are all over the track...

The whole thing smells funny. I wonder if Mercedes weren't so far ahead they would be questioning this a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post

What is it with Vettel this season, if we were analysing a rookie with road rage ala Baku and a rookie hitting someone on the warm down lap and a rookie veering left al SIngapore, bearing in mind on the whole they manage not to that at four times the speed, then I think the FIA would be taking a different stance. And another thing, Vettels on his last "pretty please I'm sorry I promise to behave" last very very last honestly this is your last warning warning so how has he got away with this ? And also why was the footage from Stroll not released right away, it clearly shows Vettel to be a fault. I'm not sure where Vettel is at but his behaviour is truly curious this season
    dont look back in anger.

Hamilton takes pole in Japan

Palmer says tomorrow is his last race for Renault. Wonder who's taking the car for the last races.

Hamilton takes pole in Japan
    Domination

Incredible how much faster he is than every other car this weekend.

Domination

Incredible how much faster he is than every other car this weekend.
    Broke schumachers qualifying record by 1.7 seconds

Broke schumachers qualifying record by 1.7 seconds
    Insane. He looks like he can go faster too

Feel sorry for Palmer, he hasn’t been great but it sounds like they’ve been trying to bin him for a bit, can’t be easy working for someone who doesn’t want you.

Insane. He looks like he can go faster too

Feel sorry for Palmer, he hasn’t been great but it sounds like they’ve been trying to bin him for a bit, can’t be easy working for someone who doesn’t want you.
    Iím sure the severance cushions the blow

Wonder what mad **** Vettel is going to pull tomorrow. Just remembered to record this since it's on at 6am!

Hamilton wins!

More issues for Vettel.

Hamilton wins!

More issues for Vettel.
    Great end to the race

I think thatís it now, baring a major disaster Lewis will b3 World Champion again.

Max looking great again, what might of been had he not had the issues his car has had this year, Red Bull have done great considering Mercedes and Ferrari have arguably much better cars.

Interesting little quote from Lewis at the end about Indy 500 whilst admiring the ring, wonder if I should try it one day ?

Some Saturday night F1. Lovely stuff