Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's sign Anthony Martial as our new #9

Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    I've often wondered if it would be possible to pull off a sneaky thing in real life similar to this. Do a deal with, say, Atletico Madrid. Get them to buy Martial for 35m. Then about a week later, but him off them for 40m. They make a 5m for doing practically nothing and you get a player off United.

I'm sure there are things in place to stop stuff like that, but would like to try it. I'm sure something similar happened many years ago with Robert Jarni. Coventry bought him for about 4m, then Real Madrid bought him off them for 7m a couple of days later.
    Wasn't aware of this. Very interesting. Thanks.

Strictly by the letter of the law there would be no issue with doing this, however I would hope a team like Liverpool didn't have to resort to such underhanded tactics.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Red-And-Proud is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankly-Mr-Shankly View Post
    As much as I find that witty, from experience. In reality, Martial is already unhappy with the situation at United and Mourinho already seems to have decided Martial is going to be there long term.

As such, those steps wouldn't even be required, it simply should come down to who can offer the most money and what club can offer Martial the best project, whilst being the main striker in that project.

The only thing that would stop this deal is if United were prepared to accept a lesser financial offer from another club, or if Martial gets a better offer from a better team's project. More or less the same situation as anything other signing we try to make.
    I suspect there is probably people on the board of Man utd that would rather loose money than accept a bid from Liverpool, doubt Jose or the owners would care either way
    Klopps beard twin

Would happily pay 50 mill for him because Klopp would make him a world star. They'd never accept a bid from us though.

Quote Originally Posted by Red-And-Proud View Post
    I suspect there is probably people on the board of Man utd that would rather loose money than accept a bid from Liverpool, doubt Jose or the owners would care either way
    Lets think about this logically as I don't agree with that at all.

Of all the people who would the most concerned about the financial aspects and less the footballing side of it would in fact be the United board members and the those who make those sorts of decisions.

As for Mourinho, sure in the past he has been known to be difficult with selling to his rivals. However, with the arrogance of Mourinho and with him not trusting Martial. Would he care enough to push the board against a move they would want to take that would be more financially attractive?

Fergie certainly would have, but with Mourinho I am not so sure.

Red-And-Proud is offline First team regular

Of all the people who would the most concerned about the financial aspects and less the footballing side of it would in fact be the United board members and the those who make those sorts of decisions.

As for Mourinho, sure in the past he has been known to be difficult with selling to his rivals. However, with the arrogance of Mourinho and with him not trusting Martial. Would he care enough to push the board against a move they would want to take that would be more financially attractive?

Well it would be nice if you were right and we signed this player. I did say in that post I don't think Jose or the Owners would be arsed who they sell to- but if any board member are "utd fans" it may be a different story- We all know every Utd fan would be annoyed about this signing and therefore the board would have to take that into consideration?
    Klopps beard twin

Well it would be nice if you were right and we signed this player. I did say in that post I don't think Jose or the Owners would be arsed who they sell to- but if any board member are "utd fans" it may be a different story- We all know every Utd fan would be annoyed about this signing and therefore the board would have to take that into consideration?
    Certainly a possibility, however if they are keeping Zlatan and signing Griezmann, with talk of even Neymar, I highly doubt they will pay much attention to Martial moving on, even to ourselves.

Thinking about it more, the 'arrogance' of Mourinho could be a factor. It's kind of like when he was at Chelsea and he sold Mata to a rival too in United - if he doesn't rate Martial, maybe he'd sell him too if the right fee came along? Mata was 25 at the time, had made 35 caps, and he cost United about 37m or something like that.

I'd take him in a heartbeat but I don't think its possible.

4 goals in 23 appearances when he's played as a centre forward for United.

1 goal every 414 minutes.

When Origi's played as a centre forward for Liverpool, he's scored a goal every 168 minutes.

Considering how quick some fans have turned on Origi/Firmino, I wonder how soon it'd be before they did the same to Martial.

I'll pass. Overrated and not even realistic anyway.
    Last edited by EmreSam; 30-3-17 at 16:46.

Liverdinner is offline Posts With His Faace
    If they'd sell, it would be a very good idea.

He's perfect. I think he's wasted there and has a huge level of talent.

However, they won't.

FistofRage is online now First team regular
    Play Football Manager

Add yourself as manager of Liverpool

Add another rougue manager to take over Man utd

**** of Martial to press, as Man utd manager (repeat)

Drop Martial to reserves

Accept 1m Liverpool Bid and no others

Then maybe, just maybe, this would be the only way you would see Liverpool signing Martial from Man utd.
    This is the only way we would ever get to sign Martial

FistofRage is online now First team regular

Fergie is still pulling the strings at Old Toilet - he'd have to sign off on any deal with us.

Vesku225 is online now Under-20 2015 and World Cup 2014 Sweepstakes Champion
    I like him playing a bit of the main man on left side and dribbling his way into opposition box. Dont see a chance that we will get him but would be a good player to have. Given a good run of games im quite sure he would prove useful.

More chance throwing a sack over his head and have him play for us for free without anyone noticing.

They wouldn't sell us Heinze so I doubt Martial is in play.

Quote Originally Posted by DahoudAreYou View Post
    4 goals in 23 appearances when he's played as a centre forward for United.

1 goal every 414 minutes.

When Origi's played as a centre forward for Liverpool, he's scored a goal every 168 minutes.

Considering how quick some fans have turned on Origi/Firmino, I wonder how soon it'd be before they did the same to Martial.

I'll pass. Overrated and not even realistic anyway.
    I am not going to look into those stats to verify them as I do not feel the need to, especially as the difference between Martial and Origi in both ability and potential, is very clear.

I believe Martial would have scored more than Firmino, never mind Origi, if played up front in our current team this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJacker View Post
    They wouldn't sell us Heinze so I doubt Martial is in play.
    Sure, I mentioned that earlier. However, is it possible that was more of Fergie's influence? It appeared to be so at the time.

Sure, I mentioned that earlier. However, is it possible that was more of Fergie's influence? It appeared to be so at the time.
    Mourinho did sell Mata to United when at Chelsea but I think selling anyone to Liverpool would be much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by FistofRage View Post
    Fergie is still pulling the strings at Old Toilet - he'd have to sign off on any deal with us.
    Certainly does not seem that way to me. He is merely a club ambassador and judging from Mourinho's comments last week, apparently Fergie is quite tentative at even being around the club, despite his role.

Quote Originally Posted by -Joe View Post
    Thinking about it more, the 'arrogance' of Mourinho could be a factor. It's kind of like when he was at Chelsea and he sold Mata to a rival too in United - if he doesn't rate Martial, maybe he'd sell him too if the right fee came along? Mata was 25 at the time, had made 35 caps, and he cost United about 37m or something like that.
    That is a very good point and one that could make this possible.

Liverpool need to be outrageous, defy all traditions and go for him and not just try, but go all out and actually get him pushing for a move, it would send such a statement if we pulled it off and we would have potentially the next best striker in world football.

This would be a wonderful environment for him to not just develop, but to contribute to competing for trophies, until the likes of Real Madrid came calling and we made an eye watering profit.

I suspect wherever he goes next will get to benefit from this situation.

Daymo68 is online now One Post At A Time
    Sure, but it shouldn't be about ruffling feathers. If we want to complete then these are the sort of signings we need to be making, its not entirely impossible considering the circumstances outlined.
    It's as close to impossible as it gets.

Big talent, but this ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Daymo68 View Post
    It's as close to impossible as it gets.
    I am not so sure it does. You could creative almost an infinite amount of possibilities of transfers before you got to this one in the realms of 'impossible'.

I put this in the 'slightly possible if we actually tried' category.

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    Overrated, not progressed, no thanks.

tweepie is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    OP is two days early.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    He plays for United with whom we haven't done a deal for a squillion years

Kaboom...end of thread...
    This

Would be great to have, But will never happen.

Have more chance signing Griezman then this lad, dosent matter about Circumstances Utd-Liverpool do not do Buisness end of.
    Win Draw Or Lose, YNWA

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    We are famous for having a top striker in our squad and something just doesn't feel right as a Liverpool fan, without such a player. This is something we have been missing since Suarez left and Sturridge underwent an early retirement.

Anthony Martial is just the player we need to take over that mantle and it would be a massive pull in terms of the French commercial market.

Whilst initially this may seem impossible, I believe if we actually tried, we could pull it off.

As we know, Mourinho is not a manager who trusts young players and Martial has been pushed out wide with limited playing time this season. It also looks like Zlatan is going to stay another year and Martial would therefore be in the same position next year if he stays. This would be the best summer to sign him.

United signed Martial for 36 million on a four-year contract in 2015. This means he only has 2 years left on his contract. His contract contains three bonus clauses worth 7.2 million each, taking the potential fee to 57.6 million. The clauses relate to, Martial scoring 25 goals, making 25 caps for France or wins the Ballon d'Or. So far none of three clauses have been met and they may wish to avoid paying these additional fees if Mourinho is not convinced.

Additionally, if United do want Griezmann or Neymar or even both, then Martial simply does not have a future at the club. They may wish to use Martial as a bargaining chip and sell him for as much as they can.

We need to be one of the clubs trying to sign him and an offer between 30m-40m should be enough to tempt United, considering his position and with only 2 years remaining on his contract.

Most of the best clubs at the moment all have top strikers, so who else would be interested who could offer him the #9 spot as his own?

Atletico?
    Napoli?
    Roma?
    Sevilla?
    Lyon?
    PSG? (Maybe a Cavani replacement)
    Maybe even a return to Monaco?

Out of these teams surely only Atletico and PSG would be a better pull, if we make CL this season.

Make it happen LFC.

What are people's thoughts on Martial?

Is this thread a joke?!! April Fools Day is tomorrow !

And as for offering 30-40mil for Martial, that's ridiculous. Utd paid that and his value has gone up at least 20mil.

Utd would never sell to us in a million years, and whoever does buy Martial needs to pay 50mil at least.
    Last edited by tweepie; 31-3-17 at 17:21. Reason: Now now Gany.

Wasn't aware of this. Very interesting. Thanks.

Strictly by the letter of the law there would be no issue with doing this, however I would hope a team like Liverpool didn't have to resort to such underhanded tactics.
    I am pretty sure this is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    Is this thread a joke?!! April Fools Day is tomorrow !

And as for offering 30-40mil for Martial, that's ridiculous. Utd paid that and his value has gone up at least 20mil.

Utd would never sell to us in a million years, and whoever does buy Martial needs to pay 50mil at least.
    It appears you haven't even read the thread before you went on your usual nonsensical froth at the mouth rage, rocking back and forth in your desk chair, wondering how your life must be, to rage on here every day. I really do feel sorry for you Ganymede.

In regards to Martial's value, I don't believe you have taken into consideration that Mourinho probably wants to sell, they don't want to incur the further 3 clauses of the 7.2m they are liable to pay Monaco, Martial has not had much game time this season, he only has 2 years left on his contract and United will need money, for even their finances if they want to sign Griezmann and Neymar and if they sign them then he clearly has no future there. He can't afford another season on the bench.

This thread is not stating that doing this would be easy, or ignorant of the position between United and Liverpool, or even a joke. It's simply a statement that I would wish to see Liverpool at least try and sign him this summer, against all odds as looking around world football, Martial may be the best opportunity for us right now in terms of signing a hungry top striker who could go on to be world class.

The biggest thing that may stop this deal on our side, if we actually wanted him, would be whether we wanted to pay such a young player such massive wages.

I always felt that you are nothing but a hindrance to proper discussion on these boards
    Last edited by tweepie; 31-3-17 at 17:22.