Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's sign Anthony Martial as our new #9

1. #1 France Let's sign Anthony Martial as our new #9 
    We are famous for having a top striker in our squad and something just doesn't feel right as a Liverpool fan, without such a player. This is something we have been missing since Suarez left and Sturridge underwent an early retirement.

Anthony Martial is just the player we need to take over that mantle and it would be a massive pull in terms of the French commercial market.

Whilst initially this may seem impossible, I believe if we actually tried, we could pull it off.

As we know, Mourinho is not a manager who trusts young players and Martial has been pushed out wide with limited playing time this season. It also looks like Zlatan is going to stay another year and Martial would therefore be in the same position next year if he stays. This would be the best summer to sign him.

United signed Martial for 36 million on a four-year contract in 2015. This means he only has 2 years left on his contract. His contract contains three bonus clauses worth 7.2 million each, taking the potential fee to 57.6 million. The clauses relate to, Martial scoring 25 goals, making 25 caps for France or wins the Ballon d'Or. So far none of three clauses have been met and they may wish to avoid paying these additional fees if Mourinho is not convinced.

Additionally, if United do want Griezmann or Neymar or even both, then Martial simply does not have a future at the club. They may wish to use Martial as a bargaining chip and sell him for as much as they can.

We need to be one of the clubs trying to sign him and an offer between 30m-40m should be enough to tempt United, considering his position and with only 2 years remaining on his contract.

Most of the best clubs at the moment all have top strikers, so who else would be interested who could offer him the #9 spot as his own?

Atletico?
    Napoli?
    Roma?
    Sevilla?
    Lyon?
    PSG? (Maybe a Cavani replacement)
    Maybe even a return to Monaco?

Out of these teams surely only Atletico and PSG would be a better pull, if we make CL this season.

Make it happen LFC.

What are people's thoughts on Martial?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankly-Mr-Shankly View Post
    We are famous for having a top striker in our squad and something just doesn't feel right as a Liverpool fan, without such a player. This is something we have been missing since Suarez left and Sturridge underwent an early retirement.

Anthony Martial is just the player we need to take over that mantle and it would be a massive pull in terms of the French commercial market.

Whilst initially this may seem impossible, I believe if we actually tried, we could pull it off.

As we know, Mourinho is not a manager who trusts young players and Martial has been pushed out wide with limited playing time this season. It also looks like Zlatan is going to stay another year and Martial would therefore be in the same position next year if he stays. This would be the best summer to sign him.

United signed Martial for 36 million on a four-year contract in 2015. This means he only has 2 years left on his contract. His contract contains three bonus clauses worth 7.2 million each, taking the potential fee to 57.6 million. The clauses relate to, Martial scoring 25 goals, making 25 caps for France or wins the Ballon d'Or. So far none of three clauses have been met and they may wish to avoid paying these additional fees if Mourinho is not convinced.

Additionally, if United do want Griezmann or Neymar or even both, then Martial simply does not have a future at the club. They may wish to use Martial as a bargaining chip and sell him for as much as they can.

We need to be one of the clubs trying to sign him and an offer between 30m-40m should be enough to tempt United, considering his position and with only 2 years remaining on his contract.

Most of the best clubs at the moment all have top strikers, so who else would be interested who could offer him the #9 spot as his own?

Atletico?
    Napoli?
    Roma?
    Sevilla?
    Lyon?
    PSG? (Maybe a Cavani replacement)
    Maybe even a return to Monaco?

Out of these teams surely only Atletico and PSG would be a better pull.

Make it happen LFC.

What are people's thoughts on Martial?
    He plays for United with whom we haven't done a deal for a squillion years

Kaboom...end of thread...
    dont look back in anger.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    That's never going to happen in a million years.

Now, Moussa Dembele on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    He plays for United with whom we haven't done a deal for a squillion years

Kaboom...end of thread...
    Sure, everyone knows he plays for United. However, considering the circumstances outlined above, it may be possible.

This isn't a Fergie and Gab Heinze situation.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    No chance, but I hope he leaves United soon. Still think he's going to be a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    No chance, but I hope he leaves United soon. Still think he's going to be a superstar.
    You could see the talent there last season and I believe Mourinho may have made a mistake to sacrifice Martial's development for Zlatan. Whilst Zlatan has done a good job so far this season, he hasn't exactly been showing the figures of a typical top United striker and was one of the factors for their poor form earlier in the season.

Unless it was Mourinho's long term plan to get Griezmann or Neymar, then the situation makes sense.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Absolutely, but I'm not sure we can make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    Absolutely, but I'm not sure we can make it happen.
    It would certainly be difficult, but considering the circumstances this would be an excellent opportunity to take advantage of.

If we really played this seriously and we put ourselves at the front of the queue, there is every chance we could pull it off if United need the finances to fund Griezmann or even Neymar.

You could see the talent there last season and I believe Mourinho may have made a mistake to sacrifice Martial's development for Zlatan. Whilst Zlatan has done a good job so far this season, he hasn't exactly been showing the figures of a typical top United striker and was one of the factors for their poor form earlier in the season.

Unless it was Mourinho's long term plan to get Griezmann or Neymar, then the situation makes sense.
    The mistreatment of Martial is my favourite thing about Mourinho's reign so far.

What makes him a top striker?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Studgey-D View Post
    Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    It's just impossible.

Shall we sign De Gea as well whilst we are at it if Mourinho is in that kind of mood !

Assume I have missed the part on SSN that reports Mourinho is happy to sell his hot prospects to his most hated rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooler-70 View Post
    Shall we sign De Gea as well whilst we are at it if Mourinho is in that kind of mood !

Assume I have missed the part on SSN that reports Mourinho is happy to sell his hot prospects to his most hated rivals.
    I don't think it's out of the question that United would sell Martial.

I do think it's out of the question that they'd sell him to us.

Would be an amazing signing, doubt United would sell him to us though. Would be nice to put in a bid and ruffle some feathers

I don't think it's out of the question that United would sell Martial.

I do think it's out of the question that they'd sell him to us.
    There is absolutely no way they are selling him to us. Plenty of other clubs will be in for him so why on earth would JM choose to sell him to us with the risk of him fulfilling his potential at their most bitter rivals.

Perhaps if we offered really stupid money but that's not going to happen.

I am not sure you have been following the situation with Martial, United and Mourinho this season for you to post that.

Comparing De Gea's situation to Martial's is entirely misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by -Joe View Post
    Would be an amazing signing, doubt United would sell him to us though. Would be nice to put in a bid and ruffle some feathers
    Sure, but it shouldn't be about ruffling feathers. If we want to complete then these are the sort of signings we need to be making, its not entirely impossible considering the circumstances outlined.

There is absolutely no way they are selling him to us. Plenty of other clubs will be in for him so why on earth would JM choose to sell him to us with the risk of him fulfilling his potential at their most bitter rivals.

Perhaps if we offered really stupid money but that's not going to happen.
    Which clubs? The ones mentioned above?

Most top teams couldn't offer him the #9 spot to himself, however we could.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Studgey-D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshi98 View Post
    Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
    Anyone who has seen Martial play can see the obvious talent, especially when played through the middle.

The more relevant question to be asking is who would score more in our team in the #9 spot.

Firmino or Martial?

Sure, but it shouldn't be about ruffling feathers. If we want to complete then these are the sort of signings we need to be making, its not entirely impossible considering the circumstances outlined.
    It's not purely about ruffling feathers, I agree, he'd be a quality signing and it would certainly signal intent - but I personally think it would be nigh on impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    That's never going to happen in a million years.

Now, Moussa Dembele on the other hand...
    Moussa Dembele simply isn't anywhere near Martial's ability (Not suggesting you were implying that either though).

We need to be aiming at a better calibre player than Moussa, he wouldn't be that much of an improvement on Firmino for me, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by -Joe View Post
    It's not purely about ruffling feathers, I agree, he'd be a quality signing and it would certainly signal intent - but I personally think it would be nigh on impossible.
    Whilst I can agree it will be very difficult, we simply cannot have that mentality if we want to seriously compete.

We should at least be trying in my view. And not just trying, seriously putting ourselves in the front seat, offering the most money and causing a media storm to make the situation on United a difficult one, especially if they are attempting to sign Griezmann or Neymar.

You could see the talent there last season and I believe Mourinho may have made a mistake to sacrifice Martial's development for Zlatan. Whilst Zlatan has done a good job so far this season, he hasn't exactly been showing the figures of a typical top United striker and was one of the factors for their poor form earlier in the season.Unless it was Mourinho's long term plan to get Griezmann or Neymar, then the situation makes sense.
    Explain yourself, what are the figures of a typical united striker?

Red-And-Proud is online now First team regular
    Play Football Manager

Add yourself as manager of Liverpool

Add another rougue manager to take over Man utd

**** of Martial to press, as Man utd manager (repeat)

Drop Martial to reserves

Accept 1m Liverpool Bid and no others

Then maybe, just maybe, this would be the only way you would see Liverpool signing Martial from Man utd.
    Klopps beard twin

Quote Originally Posted by Red-And-Proud View Post
    Play Football Manager

Drop Martial to reserves

Then maybe, just maybe, this would be the only way you would see Liverpool signing Martial from Man utd.
    I've often wondered if it would be possible to pull off a sneaky thing in real life similar to this. Do a deal with, say, Atletico Madrid. Get them to buy Martial for 35m. Then about a week later, buy him off them for 40m. They make 5m for doing practically nothing and you get a player off United.

I'm sure there are things in place to stop stuff like that, but would like to try it. I'm sure something similar happened many years ago with Robert Jarni. Coventry bought him for about 4m, then Real Madrid bought him off them for 7m a couple of days later.
    Last edited by CrawleyRed; 30-3-17 at 14:28.

He's signed for Southampton ??

Whilst I can agree it will be very difficult, we simply cannot have that mentality if we want to seriously compete.

We should at least be trying in my view. And not just trying, seriously putting ourselves in the front seat, offering the most money and causing a media storm to make the situation on United a difficult one, especially if they are attempting to sign Griezmann or Neymar.
    I'd like to see that mate, hopefully it'll happen!

Red-And-Proud is online now First team regular
    I've often wondered if it would be possible to pull off a sneaky thing in real life similar to this. Do a deal with, say, Atletico Madrid. Get them to buy Martial for 35m. Then about a week later, but him off them for 40m. They make a 5m for doing practically nothing and you get a player off United.

I'm sure there are things in place to stop stuff like that, but would like to try it. I'm sure something similar happened many years ago with Robert Jarni. Coventry bought him for about 4m, then Real Madrid bought him off them for 7m a couple of days later.
    Ha, we could ask Southampton to do this- they buy him for 30m, we buy him for 60m a week later, nobody would suspect a thing .
    Klopps beard twin

Quote Originally Posted by Red-And-Proud View Post
    Play Football Manager

Drop Martial to reserves

As much as I find that witty, from experience. In reality, Martial is already unhappy with the situation at United and Mourinho already seems to have decided Martial is going to be there long term.

As such, those steps wouldn't even be required, it simply should come down to who can offer the most money and what club can offer Martial the best project, whilst being the main striker in that project.

The only thing that would stop this deal is if United were prepared to accept a lesser financial offer from another club, or if Martial gets a better offer from a better team's project. More or less the same situation as anything other signing we try to make.