Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trent Alexander-Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by Roshi98 View Post
    Clyne is significantly better at defending than Johnson ever was.
    This is not even close to being debatable.

Remember the days when we never managed to stop a cross on our right hand side all game?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaToure View Post
    Johnson in his prime was the absolute opposite of Clyne. Whilst Clyne is a very good defender and only a half decent attacker Johnson was maybe one of the best attacking fullbacks at the time but often horrendous defensively.
    I would take a Johnson in his prime over Clyne any day.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    He took about 20' to get into the game and then was no different than he usually is, which is solid and dependable.
    I thought he offered very little going forward, his positioning was poor at times and he was letting crosses go into the box without challenging.

I'm his biggest fan but that was so poor today from him I thought. Poorest player in a red shirt today.

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    I thought he offered very little going forward, his positioning was poor at times and he was letting crosses go into the box without challenging.

I'm his biggest fan but that was so poor today from him I thought. Poorest player in a red shirt today.
    I agree.

He took about 20' to get into the game and then was no different than he usually is, which is solid and dependable.
    He's had a poor 2017 so far bar a few games, if you don't think that's the case you're simply tinted. He wasn't solid against Swansea, Southampton in the EFL Cup, Leicester, Arsenal or Burnley.

Quote Originally Posted by DahoudAreYou View Post
    It's the Clyne effect. Solid, consistent, 7/10. Buzzwords galore.

He's been extremely poor in 2017 bar a few games, not the other way round.
    There's also the opposite affect, i.e. seeing a mis-controlled pass and then remembering only that at the end of the game. Clyne had a bad first half, then had a good second.

'Dependable' means he does his job. Like Aurelio, Jones, Finnan. Nothing fancy there, just dependable. No big mistakes, keep the ball, mark well, not often out of position. If we can upgrade then great, but acting like Clyne is our biggest weakness is just nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ElAlonso View Post
    There's also the opposite affect, i.e. seeing a mis-controlled pass and then remembering only that at the end of the game. Clyne had a bad first half, then had a good second.

'Dependable' means he does his job. Like Aurelio, Jones, Finnan. Nothing fancy there, just dependable. No big mistakes, keep the ball, mark well, not often out of position. If we can upgrade then great, but acting like Clyne is our biggest weakness is just nuts.
    He's not been dependable in 2017. Was he dependable against Swansea? No. Southampton in the cup? No. Burnley? No. Arsenal? No. Leicester? No. He's not our biggest weakness, but on current form he is a weakness.

Argue as much as you want. Just because he's not elegant on the ball and hasn't got a great final ball, the hipsters will always beat him down.

He's incredibly solid though and people are absolutely mental. I will say it again, don't they actually remember Glen and Enrique? God that was bad I shiver when I think about them.

Milner and Clyne at least know how to defend ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post

I don't remember much of anything coming in from his side. Can't even be bothered with what he offers going forward because it's not much and never has been, but I do recall a number of instances where one second he was outside their area and the next back defending near ours and doing it well, which is ultimately the most important part of his job.

TAA is a good prospect but does he have the endurance and consistency of Clyne? We have no idea. If I were to judge solely on physicality I would say "probably not". He might have more to offer further up the pitch but that leads to the questions of whether he has the stamina to get back as Clyne does and who, if he can't, provides cover?

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    Argue as much as you want. Just because he's not elegant on the ball and hasn't got a great final ball, the hipsters will always beat him down.

He's incredibly solid though and people are absolutely mental. I will say it again, don't they actually remember Glen and Enrique? God that was bad I shiver when I think about them.

Once again, tell me how he was solid at Southampton in the EFL Cup, against Swansea where he let Martin Olsson run rings around him (and didn't bother attempting to block the winning goal), against Arsenal when he let Welbeck run inside him, against Leicester where he made a half hearted tackle "attempt" on Mahrez in the lead up to Vardy's second goal, against Burnley when he was completely lost. You have an interesting definition of solid.

He's been poor in 2017 for the most part, it's not even debatable.

Completely agree. I don't understand why people prefer defenders who are only good going forward and average (at best) defending. Makes no sense to me.

Once again, tell me how he was solid at Southampton in the EFL Cup, against Swansea where he let Martin Olsson run rings around him (and didn't bother attempting to block the winning goal), against Arsenal when he let Welbeck run inside him, against Leicester where he made a half hearted tackle "attempt" on Mahrez in the lead up to Vardy's second goal, against Burnley when he was completely lost. You have an interesting definition of solid.
    You're right. No quality defender has ever had an off performance or two. TAA is clearly the answer as he'll never have a bad game.

You're right. No quality defender has ever had an off performance or two. TAA is clearly the answer as he'll never have a bad game.
    You do realise all those games I've listed all took place in the past 3 months...? "off performance or two"

You do realise all those games I've listed all took place in the past 3 months...?
    You do realize that Clyne has played 70+ matches for us over nearly two seasons and you've pointed to less than 10% of matches played to make a stupid argument?

He's not been dependable in 2017. Was he dependable against Swansea? No. Southampton in the cup? No. Burnley? No. Arsenal? No. Leicester? No. He's not our biggest weakness, but on current form he is a weakness.
    Swansea: 1) Lovren misses the header at the corner. 2) Scored from a cross on the overlap, you can blame Clyne for this if you want, but unless there's two of him I don't know how that's possible. 3) Klavan deflects it into the path of Sigurdsson.

Southampton: Counter attack from our left hand side of defence.

Burnley: Clyne's marker, but it was a world class ball and cut out three of our other defenders.

Arsenal: I'll give you that one.

Leicester: 1) Gini's bad pass. Other side of the pitch as Clyne. 2) World class volley from outside the box after Milner didn't clear well. 3) Overlap again, Lallana marking Fuchs who crossed in for Vardy.

So he made one clear mistake leading to a goal in the majority of our terrible games this year? Dependable to m e.

You do realize that Clyne has played 70+ matches for us over nearly two seasons and you've pointed to less than 10% of matches played to make a stupid argument?
    Or I've pointed to the majority of games he's played in this calendar year?

Why on earth are you judging him currently on 2 years ago, that's already a lost argument. You judge players on form. Clyne is in bad form, simple as that.

Swansea: 1) Lovren misses the header at the corner. 2) Scored from a cross on the overlap, you can blame Clyne for this if you want, but unless there's two of him I don't know how that's possible. 3) Klavan deflects it into the path of Sigurdsson.

Southampton 2: Counter attack from our left hand side of defence.

Burnley: Clyne's marker, but it was a world class ball and cut out three of our other defenders.

Leicester: 1) Gini's bad pass. Other side of the pitch as Clyne. 2) World class volley from outside the box after Milner didn't clear well. 3) Overlap again, Lallana marking Fuchs who crossed in for Vardy.

So he made one clear mistake leading to a goal in the majority of our terrible games this year? Dependable to m e.
    You must excuse him. He can't see properly because of all the tears in his eyes over missing out on Dahoud.

Snippes is online now First team regular
    He's still 7/10. Regressed is because we lost a few games of late. The reality is he's the same player and more than good enough.
    Absolutely this.

Once again, fans of this club showing a real lack of proper understanding and appreciation of what a very decent FB looks like. I don't know what people expect here but it would take a lot to upgrade on Clyne and TAA while a very promising kid is nowhere near close to taking his position from him. That's just not the case, sorry.

Southampton 2: Counter attack from our left hand side of defence.

Swansea: Olsson ran rings around him all game. On the 3rd goal, Clyne reacted later than Sigurdsson after Klavan deflected it. Then, despite him standing millimetres away, he didn't make an attempt to block the shot. That's lazy and weak.

Southampton: Redmond ran rings around him all game. Harsh to blame Clyne for the goal. But he got bailed out by Karius when Bertrand literally ran through him and squared it to Redmond. And he also gifted Cedric the goal-side run (recurring theme) and got lucky that he chose to shoot rather than square it.

Burnley: Clyne's marker correct, Clyne has nowhere near where he is? Correct. Clyne fails to track his man, simple as that.

Arsenal: Goal side pass (as I said, recurring theme).

Leicester: Clyne had an awful game, and in the build up to the 2nd goal he didn't even attempt to win the ball off Mahrez, he stuck his foot in like a whimp.

Or I've pointed to the majority of games he's played in this calendar year?

Why on earth are you judging him currently on 2 years ago, that's already a lost argument. You judge players on form. Clyne is in bad form, simple as that.
    And I think you're wrong. A handful of matches compared to the body of work doesn't indicate anything. He arrived as a solid defender, has been a solid defender, continues to be a solid defender. That's his main job and he's not dropped off or regressed as a player despite the small sample of off days (more like off moments) you've pointed to.

TAA is going to be some cracking player me thinks.

Very promising future.

And I think you're wrong. A handful of matches compared to the body of work doesn't indicate anything. He arrived as a solid defender, has been a solid defender, continues to be a solid defender. That's his main job and he's not dropped off or regressed as a player despite the small sample of off days (more like off moments) you've pointed to.
    He's in poor form, it really is as simple as that, jesus christ. He's a good defender in poor form, it's not a crime to admit.

He's in poor form, it really is as simple as that, jesus christ.
    Oh, so you agree that there's no need to bring him up in a TAA thread then? Cool.

Oh, so you agree that there's no need to bring him up in a TAA thread then? Cool.
    TAA is our 2nd choice right back, in good form. Clyne is our first choice right back, in poor form. Stop being so insecure.

TAA is our 2nd choice right back, in good form. Clyne is our first choice right back, in poor form. Stop being so insecure.
    You're really bad at gaslighting.

Swansea: Olsson ran rings around him all game. On the 3rd goal, Clyne reacted later than Sigurdsson after Klavan deflected it. Then, despite him standing millimetres away, he didn't make an attempt to block the shot. That's lazy and weak.

Southampton: Redmond ran rings around him all game. Harsh to blame Clyne for the goal. But he got bailed out by Karius when Bertrand literally ran through him and squared it to Redmond. And he also gifted Cedric the goal-side run (recurring theme) and got lucky that he chose to shoot rather than square it.

Burnley: Clyne's marker correct, Clyne has nowhere near where he is? Correct. Clyne fails to track his man, simple as that.

Arsenal: Goal side pass (as I said, recurring theme).

Leicester: Clyne had an awful game, and in the build up to the 2nd goal he didn't even attempt to win the ball off Mahrez, he stuck his foot in like a whimp.
    If you cannot counter the reality that Clyne can have a bad game but still be dependable enough that he is not at fault for us conceding goals (i.e., the job of a defender) then it's not surprising that you think he's awful.

Also, Swansea, Southampton and Leicester we were poor as a team. But you know, lets focus on Clyne...

What 'form' are you talking about? Under-21s? The odd fifteen minutes in the first team?

If you cannot counter the reality that Clyne can have a bad game but still be dependable enough that he is not at fault for us conceding goals (i.e., the job of a defender) then it's not surprising that you think he's awful.

Also, Swansea, Southampton and Leicester we were poor as a team. But you know, lets focus on Clyne...
    When have I said he's awful? I've said that in 2017 he's been in poor form, which he has. He's a good defender in poor form, whilst Trent is doing very well.

Quote Originally Posted by AboveUsOnlySky View Post
    TAA is going to be some cracking player me thinks.

Very promising future.
    I agree. Now, what are your thoughts on Clyne?

What 'form' are you talking about? Under-21s? The odd fifteen minutes in the first team?
    I was going to point out the same thing but why bother. He just doesn't get it and never will.