Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad for the 2017/2018 season, thread 1

1. #1 Default Squad for the 2017/2018 season, thread 1 
    canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    The First Team Squad by position and registration status for the 2017/18 season.

Out

Manninger, retired

Goalkeepers

HG - (Ward)
    NHG - Mignolet, Karius, Bogdan
    U21 - (Fulton 96)

Centre Backs

HG -
    NHG - Lovren, (Sakho), Matip, Klavan
    U21 - Gomez 97

Full Backs

HG - Clyne, (Flanagan), (Wisdom), Randall
    NHG - Moreno
    U21 - Arnold 98

Defensive and Central Midfielders

HG - Henderson, Milner, Stewart
    NHG - Lucas, Can, Wijnaldum
    U21 - (Brannagan 96), Grujic 96, Ejaria 97, (Chirivella 97), (Allan 97)

Attacking Midfielders, Inside Forwards, Wingers

HG - Lallana
    NHG - Coutinho, Firmino, (Markovic), Mane
    U21 - (Kent 96), Ojo 97, Woodburn 99

Center Forwards

HG - Sturridge, Ings
    NHG - Origi
    U21 - (Awoniyi 97)

Totals

HG - 8, (3)
    NHG - 14, (2)
    U21 - 6, (6)
    Total - 28, (11)
    Last edited by canuck33; 25-5-17 at 12:36.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

End of the season on the horizon. Big summer transfer window ahead. So I've adjusted the registration requirements for next season. Let's hope that FSG and Klopp will deliver.

Flanagan - Randall - Brannagan - Wisdom - Fulton - Ward - Stewart - Ings and Jones may all get a reprieve with this 2 year ban hanging around....

Expect to see the fringe players drawn out over next 18 months...

We have 2 players in need of senior registration next year, Origi and Randall. With the emergence of Alexander-Arnold, I can see us letting Randall go. Origi will obviously still be around. So we'll have to move some players on to stay within the overall senior numbers and non-homegrown limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Flanagan - Randall - Brannagan - Wisdom - Fulton - Ward - Stewart - Ings and Jones may all get a reprieve with this 2 year ban hanging around....

Expect to see the fringe players drawn out over next 18 months...
    Can't see it. They're pushing our numbers beyond the limit.

Most likely Arnold 98, Ejaria 97 and Woodburn 99 will be promoted to the first team squad. And possibly Wilson 97.
    Last edited by canuck33; 6-4-17 at 16:06.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Most likely Arnold 98, Ejaria 97 and Woodburn 99 will be promoted to the first team squad. And possibly Wilson 97.
    They should make the first team squad before they hit those ages. If they haven't I don't think they will.

I'll be very disappointed if we let this happen:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...er-League-Move

We need him more than them, Klopp! He is the sort of talented but hardworking player that will help transform our midfield and FSG should effect this transfer by all means!

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    They should make the first team squad before they hit those ages. If they haven't I don't think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGirum View Post
    I'll be very disappointed if we let this happen:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...er-League-Move

We need him more than them, Klopp! He is the sort of talented but hardworking player that will help transform our midfield and FSG should effect this transfer by all means!
    We also need Kolasinac more than Chelsea. Could be another frustrating summer.

So looks like Mane is done for the season. I have a feeling that might be the end of our CL hopes and with it the chance of signing some quality this summer. We're gonna be ending up with a bunch of prospects instead.

So looks like Mane is done for the season. I have a feeling that might be the end of our CL hopes and with it the chance of signing some quality this summer. We're gonna be ending up with a bunch of prospects instead.
    We are going to end up with a bunch of prospects, no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    We are going to end up with a bunch of prospects, no matter what happens.
    You don't think having CL football next year would make a difference?

You don't think having CL football next year would make a difference?
    It might make a difference to the one or two decent players we try to get in, we will mostly be signing prospects though as always, I bet.

It might make a difference to the one or two decent players we try to get in, we will mostly be signing prospects though as always, I bet.
    Do you consider the likes of Mane, Wijnaldum, Matip and Klavan as prospects?

Clearly they're not out of the very top bracket, and they've not yet proved themselves at a higher club level than us, but they're hardly prospects. Karius could just about be described as a prospect, but even he had 3 full top flight seasons behind him.

I'd imagine we'd have more than 1 or 2 decent players on our radar. Judging by some of Klopp's comments, it looks like he's aware that we must add quality this summer. And CL football will be a major factor in achieving that.

I'd imagine we'd have more than 1 or 2 decent players on our radar. Judging by some of Klopp's comments, it looks like he's aware that we must add quality this summer. And CL football will be a major factor in achieving that.
    I sure hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post

Clearly they're not out of the very top bracket, and they've not yet proved themselves at a higher club level than us, but they're hardly prospects. Karius could just about be described as a prospect, but even he had 3 full top flight seasons behind him.
    I considered all of them apart from Klavan to be prospects when we signed them, last summer was the first decent one in ages, I hope we can replicate it this time around.

I'm sure Klavan was brought in to replace Toure and Manninger because we wanted to loan out the young keepers to get game time. It is pretty clear to me that only Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum and Karius were brought in to be regular contributors. Mane has beyond a doubt proved his worth and arguably Matip and Wijnaldum are improvements on the players they replaced.

I considered all of them apart from Klavan to be prospects when we signed them, last summer was the first decent one in ages, I hope we can replicate it this time around.
    Bizarre definition, but fair enough.

Bizarre definition, but fair enough.
    Why is it bizarre ?
    Because you dont agree ?
    None of them had really done anything of note for any length of time at a good level and they were all relatively young.
    There was more potential than there was achievements in their past, hence they were all prospects.

From that list,

Out:
    Mamadou Sakho - done well at Palace so it should mean we get decent money for him. Can't see him and Klopp resolving their differences.
    Alex Manninger (released/retired)- still not sure why we signed him
    Alberto Moreno - can't be relied on defensively and his lack of playing time when he's the only left back we have, says it all
    Lucas Leiva (released) - out of contract, good servant to the club but his time is up
    Jordan Williams - was pretty much on his way out in January, will probably be moved on
    Lazar Markovic - done okay at Hull but still doesn't seem to have the right attitude/consistency to do well here
    Connor Randall - did okay last season but has definitely lost his place to TAA, had an opportunity against Wolves to impress but didn't take it
    Adam Bogdan - shame he got injured because he was doing well at Wigan
    Andre Wisdom - has done well at Salzburg, but he's been out on loan for the past four seasons now, which suggests his chances here are very slim
    Jack Dunn - 22/23 years old and still not played a first team game, unlikely to make it

Fighting for their futures:
    Daniel Sturridge - clear issues with his fitness and attitude, but one of the best strikers around on his day
    Ragnar Klavan - been inconsistent, makes too many mistakes for such an experienced defender
    Emre Can - still stalling on contract talks, he's scored more goals this season, which is a plus but maybe not good enough to be a key player for us
    Cameron Brannagan - gone from being one of our brightest talents to being on the periphary and not featuring at all
    Danny Ings - too injury prone but is clearly a decent striker with pace and good finishing
    Jon Flanagan - has also lost his place to TAA but his versatility would provide cover for a new left back next season. Disappointed he's not played much at Burnley.

In terms of signings, we really need a new left back, defensive midfielder and winger to backup Mané (if Wilson/Ojo/Woodburn aren't ready yet). Depending on departures we could also need a backup centre back (or two) and a new striker. Regarding our keepers, Ward's done really well at Huddersfield (and at Aberdeen last season), Karius has found it difficult but I'm convinced he'll learn and improve. Mignolet has had four seasons at first choice and apart from a few outstanding saves and being decent at stopping penalties, hasn't done enough to cement his place. If we were to sign a replacement, I hope it's not Hart because he's not an upgrade on Mignolet as Hart is prone to errors himself. Pickford would be a good option but he'll be high in demand as Sunderland are pretty much down.
    Last edited by L4Sensation; 7-4-17 at 17:20.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Why is it bizarre ?
    Because you dont agree ?
    None of them had really done anything of note for any length of time at a good level and they were all relatively young.
    You consider a 35m signing to be a 'prospect'?

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    The price is irrelevant to the term, people pay big money for good prospects.
    He was 23 with one good season behind him.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    The price is irrelevant to the term, people pay big money for good prospects.
    He was 23 with one good season behind him.
    So 2/3s of a season later would you still regard him as a prospect? What's the cut off point?

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    It's more that they're all established internationals in their mid-20's - apart from the self-exiled Matip - with at least 150-200 top flight first team games. They're established pros, just not proven winners at the highest level. You surely can't describe all players that aren't CL regulars as prospects. Not sensibly anyway.

Origi was a prospect, Coutinho was a prospect, but these guys...?

It's more that they're all established internationals in their mid-20's - apart from the self-exiled Matip - with at least 150-200 top flight first team games. They're established pros, just not proven winners at the highest level. You surely can't describe all players that aren't CL regulars as prospects. Not sensibly anyway.

Origi was a prospect, Coutinho was a prospect, but these guys...?
    Ah I see what you mean, maybe prospect was not the right right term to use.

Ah I see what you mean, maybe prospect was not the right right term to use.
    Let's put it this way, if we sign 4 more prospects of that mould, I'd be content this summer.

Let's put it this way, if we sign 4 more prospects of that mould, I'd be content this summer.
    yea, me too !

If we could add 3 clones of Matip, Mane and Gini it would solve a lot of our problems.