Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Sturridge 16/17 discussion thread - Part 2

raybarnes is offline Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny65 View Post
    A front 3 of Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge (if he's fit enough) for our last few games is an exciting prospect.
    Agreed
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I think it would be silly if we sold him to arsenal, kind of asking for it !

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    There are rumors AC Milan might want him, they have new Chinese owners. We really need to invest in a top striker if he goes...

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Can't see arsenil being interested they have a similar striker and injury prone also.

I agree however I don't think giroud is a natural partner for him. interesting to see if griezmann goes to utd then this seems an even better deal

raybarnes is offline Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    I hope Mr Klopp desides to kerp Danny but i fear he'll be leaving

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    I hope Mr Klopp desides to kerp Danny but i fear he'll be leaving
    Why do you fear that a player who has rarely featured for us this season will be leaving? We are the top scorers or joint top scorers in the league with Spurs. No disrespect to Sturridge's talents, but we haven't missed them this season. It is only now we are talking of using him due to the injuries to key players.

We should be thinking about trying to improve on players like Sturridge rather than keeping him for next season? Don't know how I feel about that myself.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

obviously sturridge knows its what's best for the team, which is why he has been making an impact as sub. doesn't appear very happy doing that, needs to start games

I honestly think that he's leaving. Just like Moreno and Sakho, Klopp has lost patience with him. An exit is possibly the only outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    I honestly think that he's leaving. Just like Moreno and Sakho, Klopp has lost patience with him. An exit is possibly the only outcome.
    How do you work that one out ?

Sturridge being injured all the time is probably why a top team won't come after him. I can see him at West Ham, but certainly not any of the top 6 or 7. Maybe Daniel will stay with Liverpool and accept second fiddle, especially if we are in the CL.

We should be thinking about trying to improve on players like Sturridge rather than keeping him for next season? Don't know how I feel about that myself.

Sturridge doesn't have the fitness nor Klopp's work-rate to be a regular starter I'd agree, but as an impact player coming from the bench later in the game he is an excellent option to have. I'd keep him for that reason, but would Daniel be content with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    I agree

The only reason he stays here is if nobody else will pay his wages.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalTeamFootball View Post
    Sturridge doesn't have the fitness nor Klopp's work-rate to be a regular starter I'd agree, but as an impact player coming from the bench later in the game he is an excellent option to have. I'd keep him for that reason, but would Daniel be content with that...
    The bigger question is are we going to pay his wages for that sort of role if we can avoid it? 150k/week is an awful lot for 20-30 mins/month of game time...

He should stay. We are gonna get CL and we need all the game changers we can get. Sturridge can and should play a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    The bigger question is are we going to pay his wages for that sort of role if we can avoid it? 150k/week is an awful lot for 20-30 mins/month of game time...
    The other question is will anybody else pay those wages? If they do you can bet they won't offer a large fee.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJ4Gogeta View Post
    He should stay. We are gonna get CL and we need all the game changers we can get. Sturridge can and should play a part of it.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    The other question is will anybody else pay those wages? If they do you can bet they won't offer a large fee.
    Aye, I've said more than once that those dreaming of selling him for 15+ million are living in fantasyland. We're most likely going to end up paying a big chunk of his wages or have a transfer agreement bloated with incentives unlikely to be met with his injury record.

Aye, I've said more than once that those dreaming of selling him for 15+ million are living in fantasyland. We're most likely going to end up paying a big chunk of his wages or have a transfer agreement bloated with incentives unlikely to be met with his injury record.
    Last season we'd have got a big fee but he had done enough to be trusted and given a chance to establish himself as the top striker he can be. When we were linked with him from Chelsea I posted here and said he is one of the most promising young strikers in Europe.

Quick, great feet, lethal finisher, 6ft plus there was plenty there and he was smart also. As effective as he had been last summer I was talking with Ray Barnes who knows his football and a big Sturridge fan and I thought he'd have a better season than he has had but I was sure Firmino was the striker.

Much is made of Sturridge not fitting Klopp's style but when you're smashing a side or needing a poacher he's great. However we played two finals last season and in both after first half it was like playing with 10 men. He couldn't make runs to occupy defenders and give an out ball and he couldn't press.

He'll be a big gamble for any club not a top club. I'm sure plenty of takers but doubt many will have wages and a big fee. However his performances won't return once he moves. He'll become a poacher because he won't sign for a side that dominates.

Studge not available for the Palace match I am seeing.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Studge not available for the Palace match I am seeing.
    I'd be more surprised if he was available at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    I'd be more surprised if he was available at this point.
    Been reading opinions of the fans, a fair few happy to see the back of him.

It's a shame as he was a genuinely top quality player, but this can't go on. He's an expensive player who basically never plays and most of the time isn't even an option. We can't go another season with him offering very little to this team. I think he's lost any pace he had, and his sharpness too. It's sad but he looks a shadow of the player we had in that brilliant season we should have won the league. Hopefully he moves on and regains some form, as he does seem a decent guy and has never really given the club any bother, but he can't be here next season.

It's a shame as he was a genuinely top quality player, but this can't go on. He's an expensive player who basically never plays and most of the time isn't even an option. We can't go another season with him offering very little to this team. I think he's lost any pace he had, and his sharpness too. It's sad but he looks a shadow of the player we had in that brilliant season we should have won the league. Hopefully he moves on and regains some form, as he does seem a decent guy and has never really given the club any bother, but he can't be here next season.
    No, although I was reading Ray fear's Sturridge will be sold. There is nothing to fear. We haven't missed him, bit like Henderson being out too and you said.

Fees on here seem to largely be based on fantasy. Maybe not helped by the odd instance where we do get healthy fees for players, a rather ridiculous 15m for Ibe and whatever we recouped for Benteke although he does at least have a good track record of goals and fitness:

Benteke

C Palace 16/17 : 12 goals in 30 league apps
    Liverpool 15/16 : 9 goals in 29 league apps
    A Villa 14/15 : 13 goals in 29 league apps
    A Villa 13/14 : 10 goals in 26 league apps
    A Villa 12/13 : 19 goals in 34 league apps (plus 3 in 5 league apps for Genk)
    Genk 11/12 : 16 goals in 32 league apps

Basically returns around 1 in 3 to 1 in 2 goals to app ratio, and considering FIFTEEN of his apps for us in the league were off the bench, he might well have returned 13-15 goals had he started more. Sure he scored SIX off the bench, but he might easily have scored more than one had he started and nine subs apps were goalless.

But moving on quickly from his time here, he is an asset and regardless who may rate Sturridge higher than Benteke, Sturridge has only scored 14 league goals in the past three seasons in which Benteke has scored 34 and nearly as many (12) this season as Sturridge has in his past three with scope for Benteke to match 14 in this season alone.

We may face more of a battle to sell him than many may think, especially if we try and pin a silly price tag on him and don't go with clauses which may be the best way to sell him. 7m plus goals, appearances and 'success' clause (staying up, a specific position or maybe even Europe) to get us somewhere near 12m-15m if only in theory since he's taking three seasons to not even reach 20 league goals and to barely pass a season's worth of apps (42 vs 38).
    People will believe what they want to believe

I understand the feeling people have that we should move him on, but I think there's often an insinuation that it's all his fault and he isn't playing because he's weak minded or not prepared to play when he's able. I don't think that's fair.

I wouldn't be glad to see the back of him personally. I understand there may be a need to let him go but I'd be disappointed the problems he has can't be overcome, because he's a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    I understand the feeling people have that we should move him on, but I think there's often an insinuation that it's all his fault and he isn't playing because he's weak minded or not prepared to play when he's able. I don't think that's fair.

I wouldn't be glad to see the back of him personally. I understand there may be a need to let him go but I'd be disappointed the problems he has can't be overcome, because he's a very good player.
    He was. He looks like he can barely run now. Like Torres, all those years of rushing him back or playing him through injuries have taken their toll.

He was. He looks like he can barely run now. Like Torres, all those years of rushing him back or playing him through injuries have taken their toll.
    The first bit is a bit of an exaggeration for me but the second part I can agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    The first bit is a bit of an exaggeration for me but the second part I can agree with.
    It's not an exaggeration for me, there's times he's trying to chase down a ball and he literally looks like he's struggling to run. It's sad to see, but I think the injuries have taken a massive toll on him.

He is a good striker and a good bench option , nothing more

He can't play the 9 role for Klopp

so where is he going to fit in?