Notices
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: The summer transfer thread - Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by redsman10 View Post
    I don't see him as a good fit in midfield either and if he wasn't playing LB, then he'd be coming off the bench. My concern is if his lack of starts is going to cause disruption or turmoil in the squad. I'd hope not, but...
    In what way mate.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Koulibaly for sakho, or van dijk

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Clyne and Milner have been exceptional - not only are they expected to defend, but they are our outlet for delivery when attacking - this reason and those below are why their areas are liable for exposure and weaken their effect

The problem is they have no support - in a 4-3-3 game, you are supposed to defend 4-1-4-1, we don't, the front 6 let us down every time..... the defensive midfielder plays between the lines, snuffing out those that play there.... That isn't Henderson or Can's game..................

Lallana, Mane, Wijnaldum and Coutinho may be great at attacking and pressing, but they are liabilities at zonal defending in the last third.....
    Exactly. We don't currently have that type of player. We have plenty of CMs that we've tasked with that role, but none of them are naturals at that job and are more forward-thinking. The entire back line would be fine if they weren't exposed so frequently.

Exactly. We don't currently have that type of player. We have plenty of CMs that we've tasked with that role, but none of them are naturals at that job and are more forward-thinking. The entire back line would be fine if they weren't exposed so frequently.
    I don't think they would. We have one centre back that looks like he may fit the bill but can't stay fit. We have another that is rash in the tackle, commits himself too readily, panics in possession and hoofs it too much. We have a right back that is generally defensively sound but is prone on occasion to letting his man go and a left back that is average wherever he plays. Neither full back contributes much to the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    In what way mate.
    He signed for us with the impression that he was going to be played in CM. Granted that was under a different manager, but then Klopp shoe-horned him into becoming a LB...temporarily, and while he wasn't happy about it (and might still not be thrilled about it), he did it for the team.

Will he ask to leave if he loses his starting spot at LB to a new signing and then doesn't have a regular spot in CM? I don't think he will, but it just seems that we can never build up the squad without losing someone. Milner's a great team player and good to have in the squad, but will he happily accept a lesser role?

He signed for us with the impression that he was going to be played in CM. Granted that was under a different manager, but then Klopp shoe-horned him into becoming a LB...temporarily, and while he wasn't happy about it (and might still not be thrilled about it), he did it for the team.

Will he ask to leave if he loses his starting spot at LB to a new signing and then doesn't have a regular spot in CM? I don't think he will, but it just seems that we can never build up the squad without losing someone. Milner's a great team player and good to have in the squad, but will he happily accept a lesser role?
    If he doesn't and he wants to go we should allow him to.

Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Those could be way over our budget
    You know what the budget it is?

I don't think they would. We have one centre back that looks like he may fit the bill but can't stay fit. We have another that is rash in the tackle, commits himself too readily, panics in possession and hoofs it too much. We have a right back that is generally defensively sound but is prone on occasion to letting his man go and a left back that is average wherever he plays. Neither full back contributes much to the attack.
    But that's the point I'm trying to make. A DM to shield the backline would ease some of the pressure on them. Look at what Kante has done at both Chelsea and Leicester - neither team's backline, going into the start of last season and at the start of this season, is what you'd call world-class, yet with him in front of the them, their defensive records are impressive. Clyne & Milner are good enough defensively and Matip/Lovren are pretty effective together. Put someone in front of them and they'll be better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by don0124lfc View Post
    Koulibaly for sakho, or van dijk

Really don't see either happening considering our needs

5 for starting team - 4 for cover and 2 for development

Team 1 - New Keeper - Clyne - Matip - New Centre Back - Milner - New DM - New B2B Midfielder - Mane - Lallana - Coutinho - New Striker
    Team 2 - Mignolet - Trent Arnold - Lovren - Klavan - New Left Back - Henderson - Wijnaldum - Cover for Mane - Cover for Lallana - Cover for Coutinho - Firmino
    Team 3 - Karius - New Development Right Back - Gomez - Masterson - New Development Left Back - Can - Ejaria - Ojo - Woodburn - Wilson - Origi

Improve the 50% win ratio of Klopp - 2 games a week and challenging on all fronts.......

I know mate - the problem is convincing the knowitalls with their shades on......

Matip is also a DM so if we sign van dijk there is an option to play lovren and van dijk or new CB with Matip going forward as he does here and there anyway

But that's the point I'm trying to make. A DM to shield the backline would ease some of the pressure on them. Look at what Kante has done at both Chelsea and Leicester - neither team's backline, going into the start of last season and at the start of this season, is what you'd call world-class, yet with him in front of the them, their defensive records are impressive. Clyne & Milner are good enough defensively and Matip/Lovren are pretty effective together. Put someone in front of them and they'll be better for it.
    Look at how Chelsea and Leicester play. Chelsea have 3 centre backs and two sitting, Leicester soak up pressure, allowing the opposition to have the ball and hit on the break. We don't play like that.

Clyne and Milner have been exceptional - not only are they expected to defend, but they are our outlet for delivery when attacking - this reason and those below are why their areas are liable for exposure and weaken their effect

The problem is they have no support - in a 4-3-3 game, you are supposed to defend 4-1-4-1, we don't, the front 6 let us down every time..... the defensive midfielder plays between the lines, snuffing out those that play there.... That isn't Henderson or Can's game..................

Lallana, Mane, Wijnaldum and Coutinho may be great at attacking and pressing, but they are liabilities at zonal defending in the last third.....
    Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana are the best defensive attackers in the league due to their ability to press high. Our problem as seen against Leicester in particular is against teams that beat the first press.

What's the solution? The solution is improving the spine and adding more natural width. That involves signing a defensive midfielder, a centre back and a striker that plays off the shoulder of the last defender. They can't beat the press if you counter quickly and have the power to have them try and break us down. That's why more natural width is needed.

In essence it means definitely signing 5 players. Maybe 6.
    Last edited by Kloppsstars; 22-4-17 at 11:22.

I agree. We have too many players that cannot stay fit. The decent LB we had this year is unlikely to stay the course next year. At his age, continuous exertion for several seasons is bound to lead to a break-down. In any case, we are assured of a European place next season so squad quality and depth is not a luxury unless we are just making up the numbers.

Klopp needs to resolve the issues surrounding Sturridge, Markovic, Lucas and potentially Can. An upgrade on Stewart is necessary and even more urgent given Henderson's situation. The glaring issues in defense cannot be ignored. Two CBs if Sakho is going, an LB and a CDM plus DLP plus a versatile attacker are necessary.

Hull left back Robertson for 8m is doing the rounds as a confirmed deal for the summer

"But the talks we’ve had so far are very positive. That doesn’t mean it will all work out, but they are really positive, and they all see the progress. That’s good.”

Klopp on summer

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    "But the talks we’ve had so far are very positive. That doesn’t mean it will all work out, but they are really positive, and they all see the progress. That’s good.”

Klopp on summer
    That pretty much means that he already identified what he wants and is prepared to go out and get what he wants. There doesn't seem to be a lack of preparation in that regard. I cannot see any panic buying being done this summer.

Hull left back Robertson for 8m is doing the rounds as a confirmed deal for the summer
    Underwhelming

wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Lukaku has scored in his last 9 games v West Ham.
    Wrong thread maybe - hehe

Wrong thread maybe - hehe
    Check above

Leon Goretzka linked today.

Like him -

He is kind of injury prone but very good. This campaign his injury record is much better. If we can get Tolisso, I prefer Tolisso. If not, I'm OK with that link. He should also be comparatively cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGirum View Post
    He is kind of injury prone but very good. This campaign his injury record is much better. If we can get Tolisso, I prefer Tolisso. If not, I'm OK with that link. He should also be comparatively cheaper.
    Good player Tolisso - but the transfer has to be Tielemans

Like him -
    A better version of Lucas apparently.

Good player Tolisso - but the transfer has to be Tielemans
    Tielemans is a good player as well but this time I want proven talent. Tolisso is the most consistent of the lot and I'm confident he'll take the BPL by storm. Also, it could help make Lacazette's acclimatization easy if we get him as these two have been playing together.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGirum View Post
    Tielemans is a good player as well but this time I want proven talent. Tolisso is the most consistent of the lot and I'm confident he'll take the BPL by storm. Also, it could help make Lacazette's acclimatization easy if we get him as these two have been playing together.
    Sorry - don't want Lacazette anywhere near our team -

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Really don't see either happening considering our needs

5 for starting team - 4 for cover and 2 for development

Team 1 - New Keeper - Clyne - Matip - New Centre Back - Milner - New DM - New B2B Midfielder - Mane - Lallana - Coutinho - New Striker
    Team 2 - Mignolet - Trent Arnold - Lovren - Klavan - New Left Back - Henderson - Wijnaldum - Cover for Mane - Cover for Lallana - Cover for Coutinho - Firmino
    Team 3 - Karius - New Development Right Back - Gomez - Masterson - New Development Left Back - Can - Ejaria - Ojo - Woodburn - Wilson - Origi

Improve the 50% win ratio of Klopp - 2 games a week and challenging on all fronts.......
    we wont get all those in one window.... it is what is ideally needed for top epl nd latter stage champions league squad. i think you re on the right path to the level of strength in depth that we need though

i dont think we will change strikers or keeper this summer.....and i dont think there will be a new box to box midfielder

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    we wont get all those in one window.... it is what is ideally needed for top epl nd latter stage champions league squad. i think you re on the right path to the level of strength in depth that we need though

i dont think we will change strikers or keeper this summer.....and i dont think there will be a new box to box midfielder
    Think Robertson, the Hull left back at 8m, is a good fit for team two