Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4080888990
Results 2,671 to 2,686 of 2686

Thread: The summer transfer thread - Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    My point what I keep saying over and over and over which no one wants to answer because they want to be clever without answering any questions

We have too many players on books who are not good enough and last season we missed 6 quality squad players

Going into this season again we haven't filled those six quality squad players doesn't matter if you buy first team players if you haven't got quality in the squad you're not going to win anything
    But buying Salah improves the first team and the squad buying VVD would improve the first team and the squad the Ox would improve the first team and the squad or at'least wouldn't weaken the first team. The transfer window isn;t even open yet so we don;t know what we will go into next season with.

But what doesn't help our squad is continually buying players like Markovic or Klavan just to bring in numbers when it doesn't create competition for places. Lot's of people have been saying we should stop buying so called squad players and concentrate on players who can push for first team places.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    How can you reel off a list like that and still insist we need squad players? We've got about 2 squads of squad players already and what do they offer?
    After a good 20+ years of buying squad players who never, ever come in useful the idea of buying more squaddies is tremendous.

Might as well just fill out the squad with posters, we'd probably play as much, but prove to be much, much cheaper.

I'll happily sit in the stand as goalkeeper 'depth' for a ton a week and a nice club blazer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Tried that last season (kids in cups/during AFCON), how exactly did that work out? Oh yeah, bombed out of both cups and fell out of the title race all during the AFCON...

Even at full fitness our bench this past season wasn't stellar (Karius, Can, Origi, Sturridge, Moreno, Lucas, Klavan). With the 70m being bandied about for VvD we could easily upgrade on 3-4 of them instead of just one slot (knocking Lovren down). Injuries are going to happen and most of our bench is either not good enough to play regularly or not reliable enough fitness-wise. That needs to change if we are going to seriously challenge for the league or perform well in Europe.
    Yeah, but a top CB and LB in addition to Salah would put Loren, Milner and Lallana or Wijnaldum on the bench to displace Klavan's, Moreno and Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    Right now out 45 players

We got 10 first team players

And about five squad players giving us a total of round 15 players out of 45 players that's quite ridiculous

Id rather say at the moment we have 18 players fighting for places plus the youth team and those figures will be added to this summer.

Mignolet
    Karius
    Coutinho
    Mane
    Firmino
    Sturridge
    Salah
    Lallana
    Origi
    Henderson
    Grujic
    Ings
    Wijnaldum
    Can
    Milner
    Matip
    Lovren
    Clyne

Good squad players:
    Oxlade
    Sessegnon

Bad squad players:
    Markovic
    Klavan

I like Dennis Suarez. Good player. Worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    If I was BH I would imagine the 30 to 45 would look something like this

A team - no issues
    Joel Matip - James Milner - Adam Lallana - Philippe Coutinho - Sadio Mane - Roberto Firmino

B team - potential and possible
    Divock Origi - Trent Alexander-Arnold - Emre Can - Mohamed Salah - Sheyi Ojo - Shamal George - Caoimhin Kelleher - Kamil Grabara - Ovie Ejaria - Rhian Brewster -
    Ben Woodburn - Harry Wilson - Dominic Solanke - Danny Ward - Ryan Kent

I only make it 25 questionable ones, maybe BH can move the others into place.....

C team - issues
    Brooks Lennon - Danny Ings - Simon Mignolet - Loris Karius - Nathaniel Clyne - Dejan Lovren - Ragnar Klavan - Lucas Leiva - Joe Gomez - Alberto Moreno -
    Georginio Wijnaldum - Jordan Henderson - Marko Grujic - Kevin Stewart - Daniel Sturridge - Adam Bogdan - Connor Randall - Cameron Brannagan -
    Pedro Chirivella - Jack Dunn - Ryan Fulton - Mamadou Sakho - Andre Wisdom - Jon Flanagan - Lazar Markovic -
    Brooks Lennon and Jack Dunn were released and Andre Wisdom has joined Derby County in a potential 4.5 million deal. I say potential because there is 2.5 million in add-ons with 2 million upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Brooks Lennon and Jack Dunn were released and Andre Wisdom has joined Derby County in a potential 4.5 million deal. I say potential because there is 2.5 million in add-ons with 2 million upfront.
    Don't bother. His A list has 6 players straight off his deadwood list. Says it all.

Do we still like Jetro williems? I know there is several left backs who we've been linked with, I hope we shell out if the player will bolster left back a lot, like Nacho if he would leave madrid?

Quote Originally Posted by AndiM. View Post
    Good squad players:
    Oxlade
    Sessegnon

Bad squad players:
    Markovic
    Klavan
    Ox wouldn't be a bad signing - but I can't understand why he'd want to swap Arsenals bench for ours. I think he's too good for that. The difficulty is attracting players of that quality who are happy being utility squaddies. If it was easier I might be more in favour of the approach. At least he'd make our match day squad though so he should improve our core group.

Sessegnon could be a decent 'potential' signing - I've said the occasional youngster is fine.

Markovic was not a particularly bad signing - he also could have been a decent 'potential' to develop - but he highlighted how difficult that is, especially as the manager who signed him didn't seem to rate him or know what to do with him. Obviously in hindsight he looks a terrible signing, but he didn't have to be.

Klavan is absolutely your stereotype squad player imo. Second rate and happy just to be at a big club.
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; Yesterday at 19:59.

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    But buying Salah improves the first team and the squad buying VVD would improve the first team and the squad the Ox would improve the first team and the squad or at'least wouldn't weaken the first team. The transfer window isn;t even open yet so we don;t know what we will go into next season with.

But what doesn't help our squad is continually buying players like Markovic or Klavan just to bring in numbers when it doesn't create competition for places. Lot's of people have been saying we should stop buying so called squad players and concentrate on players who can push for first team places.
    Not sure I'd say Ox would improve our first team, who is he better than?

He would certainly bolster out matchday squad though, we lost a lot when Mane was out and with Ox covering Salah and Mane there is basically no chance we would be left short of pace again.

If he is prepared to move from one semi-top English club's bench to anothers.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Don't bother. His A list has 6 players straight off his deadwood list. Says it all.
    Read it again - It is not my list - I said this is what I think BH would post - You can say sorry any time you like
    Also I was not sure if he was talking about now or earlier in the season - so I covered both as in he talks he mentioned earlier and now.....

Can I hear something - still waiting

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Yeah, but a top CB and LB in addition to Salah would put Loren, Milner and Lallana or Wijnaldum on the bench to displace Klavan's, Moreno and Lucas.
    Like say over and over

1st team

Mignolet, Clyne, Matip,?, Milner, Henderson, Coutinho, Wijnsldum, Mane, Firmino, Salah

2nd team Karius, Arnold, Lovren, ?, Lallana, Can,?,??

Huge question marks over Gomez and Ings after having serious injuries if they are never be the same

Sturridge can't play 30 games a season how can we expect him to cover 60 games a season

Grujic/Ejaria is just potential we don't know how good they will be in might be a year before pushing for a place in the squad regular

Origi show clips showed glimpses of potential but hasn't so far for fulfilled it

Solanke again another potential player who hasn't shown anything

So I don't know where people getting this idea that we got all good squad fillers

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Is he one of us at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Ox wouldn't be a bad signing - but I can't understand why he'd want to swap Arsenals bench for ours. I think he's too good for that. The difficulty is attracting players of that quality who are happy being utility squaddies. If it was easier I might be more in favour of the approach. .
    The idea is to have a strong squad of say 30 though not a strong first eleven and 19 players we can nurse through games when the first eleven players are injured. Ox would get plenty of game time here.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Not sure I'd say Ox would improve our first team, who is he better than?

He would certainly bolster out matchday squad though, we lost a lot when Mane was out and with Ox covering Salah and Mane there is basically no chance we would be left short of pace again.

If he is prepared to move from one semi-top English club's bench to anothers.
    Yeah, I could see that. But he's not coming to be a squad player.