Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Palace (h) - Sun 23rd 16:30 - Sky Sports

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    This game scares me tbh.

We need an early goal to open it up, and then I'd feel comfortable with a 5 goal cushion. They have goals in them, and Benteke will be hungry to score.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    This game scares me tbh.

We need an early goal to open it up, and then I'd feel comfortable with a 5 goal cushion. They have goals in them, and Benteke will be hungry to score.
    I agree. I'm having the same feeling. Zaha's pace and directness is also a major concern.

Perhaps Klopp should ask Fat Sack how to get around regulations for signing foreign players. Preferably, on camera.

I was saying Benteke's forte is other than balls just being punted to him in the box, but the stats prove otherwise. To quote from Palace's draw with Leicester:

'Benteke has scored 21 Premier League headed goals since his debut in September 2012; only Olivier Giroud (24) has scored more.'

'Leicester were livid - Vardy claiming Benteke had used his team-mate "like a stepladder"'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39536731

So, once more unto the breach, or so it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I was saying Benteke's forte is other than balls just being punted to him in the box, but the stats prove otherwise. To quote from Palace's draw with Leicester:

'Benteke has scored 21 Premier League headed goals since his debut in September 2012; only Olivier Giroud (24) has scored more.'

'Leicester were livid - Vardy claiming Benteke had used his team-mate "like a stepladder"'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39536731

So, once more unto the breach, or so it would seem.
    Vardy. Little rat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Who's even going to be playing CB for them? We carved them up pretty well at their place, no reason we can't do the same against a depleted side at our place.

As for a line-up, barring mid-week injuries the same XI unless Lallana or Henderson is fully fit, in which case Lucas heads back to the bench in their favor.
    To be fair, that was under Pardew. Allardyce will probably focus his training efforts on making sure his defence stay organised without their most influential centre back (Sakho).

Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    To be fair, that was under Pardew. Allardyce will probably focus his training efforts on making sure his defence stay organised without their most influential centre back (Sakho).
    Surely Kelly will throw in the towel. He's a scouser after all.

Coach791 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    This game scares me tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    I agree. I'm having the same feeling. Zaha's pace and directness is also a major concern.
    I think it is a difficult game. Even if we score early it may not be comfortable. Palace have strong wingers and a physical threat. I'd imagine Klopp would be concerned about losing the ball in the middle of the park or Milner advancing to add width down the left and Palace countering behind him.

Palace leave their biggest spaces in front of their full backs to encourage opposition full backs forward. If we're on it then our attacking play can dismantle most at home. Without Sakho, same players virtually playing 4 games in a row and almost safe they may drop a level in terms of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    I don't think Sakho was even sent out because of his performances. It was more about his discipline. Klopp obviously wanted to show who was in charge. I watched those videos of Sakho interrupting Klopp in America and annoying most others. The guy appeared to have behavioural problems.

I don't think Sakho was even sent out because of his performances. It was more about his discipline. Klopp obviously wanted to show who was in charge. I watched those videos of Sakho interrupting Klopp in America and annoying most others. The guy appeared to have behavioural problems.
    If he hadn't have been late previously and almost miss the plane I am sure Klopp wouldn't mind being interrupted. There's quite a disconnected between the German and French mentality. I'm not saying either are better or worse, both different from what those in England growing up developing but it doesn't surprise me they're not well suited.

I've noticed Nathanial Clyne is hedging his bets against the latest threat of nuclear war, by adopting Kim Jong Un's haircut.

Perhaps he feels this may protect him from Kim Jong Un's radioactive waves, or perhaps they share the same hairdresser? I knew you were a spy Clyney!

The difference is, nobody dares tell Kim that hairdressing styles have moved on since Cameo.

Now I'm going to die at an airport near you. Don't take it personally Kim. Sorry old son.

Another tricky game, big ben will be trying to prove a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppite007 View Post
    Another tricky game, big ben will be trying to prove a point.
    He might also have some self doubt returning to Anfield is he doesn't get into game? Worth being hopeful.

With Sakho out Palace have some interesting choices. They've been playing Schlupp. He's strong, quick, offensive but that's fine given Ward is comfortable right back or centre back. With somebody drafted in to cover Sakho that left hand side will be a position to exploit.

Origi moving central to right and Firmino right to central if Palace don't get their communication right then they'll struggle with that switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    He might also have some self doubt returning to Anfield is he doesn't get into game? Worth being hopeful.

With Sakho out Palace have some interesting choices. They've been playing Schlupp. He's strong, quick, offensive but that's fine given Ward is comfortable right back or centre back. With somebody drafted in to cover Sakho that left hand side will be a position to exploit.

Origi moving central to right and Firmino right to central if Palace don't get their communication right then they'll struggle with that switch.
    Eh? Surely we'd prefer Sakho to play, since I've heard from various people on here he's absolutely rubbish, right?

I've mentally prepared myself to drop points here.

A win would be great but I'd find it hard to be mad if we lost or drew.
    They've beaten Chelsea and Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Eh? Surely we'd prefer Sakho to play, since I've heard from various people on here he's absolutely rubbish, right?
    Fans may think he's not good enough for us going forward but be sure he's important for Palace. That's most moderate response I can give

It will be an area to exploit. Wijnaldum may exploit it also. Most of the season Coutinho, Wijnaldum have picked pockets other side but against Palace Firmino and Wijnaldum may find right of centre profitable.

davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Who's even going to be playing CB for them? We carved them up pretty well at their place, no reason we can't do the same against a depleted side at our place.

As for a line-up, barring mid-week injuries the same XI unless Lallana or Henderson is fully fit, in which case Lucas heads back to the bench in their favor.
    I am not sure we should play Hendo even if he is fit ready and able, much as I admire him and think he is important for us he is a hell of a slow starter after injuries and it usually takes him 3 or 4 games to get back in his stride, to much of a gambol for me unless we have no choice.

I watched Crystal Palace against Arsenal. Big Ben was useless. Couldn't hit a barn door. Zaha was very dangerous, Klopp should be looking at him for us...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    No sakho so it will be a easy 3 pts they concede loads without him.
    Big sam will park the bus and hit us on the break. This is the type of teams that have hurts us in the past. We need to avoid conceding corners and free kicks . We need to be at our best to crack this nut.

Funnily enough the one thing that scares me about this game is the threat Christian Benteke carries. He seems to have found a bit of form in the Palace team and they play to hes strenghs. I am hoping that we can cut Andros Townsend out of the game because hes crossing ability is the main threat. It would be good to see Henderson get 20 minutes towards the end as he could be a vital player in the last few games if we are to get top 4.

Too much fear pre-match

We're in a good moment, have expelled a few fears against the teams that always cause us issues, Stoke and West Brom away we've done a great job against so lets hope for more of the same next Sunday and not revert to type as we did against Bournemouth.

Klopp seems to have the players focused and if we have Lallana and/or Henderson back then we'll have a little more in the tank again.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Too much fear pre-match

We're in a good moment, have expelled a few fears against the teams that always cause us issues, Stoke and West Brom away we've done a great job against so lets hope for more of the same next Sunday and not revert to type as we did against Bournemouth.

Klopp seems to have the players focused and if we have Lallana and/or Henderson back then we'll have a little more in the tank again.
    Yep!

I think it is a difficult game. Even if we score early it may not be comfortable. Palace have strong wingers and a physical threat. I'd imagine Klopp would be concerned about losing the ball in the middle of the park or Milner advancing to add width down the left and Palace countering behind him.

Palace leave their biggest spaces in front of their full backs to encourage opposition full backs forward. If we're on it then our attacking play can dismantle most at home. Without Sakho, same players virtually playing 4 games in a row and almost safe they may drop a level in terms of energy.
    It's a fair point Coach, but Milner is proving very discriminatory about when and when not to go forward. Personally, as opposed to earlier the gun-ho approach, I think we will attempt to soften them first through our dominance of possession, then go for the jugular at opportune moments (later on in other words).

With the abscences of Mane, Lallana and Henderson, Klopp has realised the reduction in firepower and adopted a more pragmatic approach. I think it's worked well. It's certainly heightened our players' concentration levels in defence.

Also, Klopp may have stumbled upon a Plan B. The players who have had greatness thrust upon them have been doing a fantastic job.

I should add that both Clyne and Milner have picked good choices recently about when and when not to advance. They're not mugs.

I can barely recall when we've been picked off in that way for ages. Plus Can and Lucas have been helping in situations like that.

I've always like Lucas as a player. If you watch his distribution, it's very, very good. And now Can appears to be turning into a player. His defensive anticipation is improving.

I should add that both Clyne and Milner have picked good choices recently about when and when not to advance. They're not mugs.

I can barely recall when we've been picked off in that way for ages. Plus Can and Lucas have been helping in situations like that.

I've always like Lucas as a player. If you watch his distribution, it's very, very good. And now Can appears to be turning into a player. His defensive anticipation is improving.
    Lucas has been a great servant. I can't agree his distribution is very, very, good. He sits at the base playing slow, simple passes a centre back can make under little to no pressure.

I think you make a good point about assisting the full backs. Once Lallana went out I thought we'd adopt a stronger centre. Can, Lucas and Wijnaldum is defensively strong. It supports the wide areas more and equally.

If you look at recent matches our full backs have had more support be it from Lucas, Can and Wijnaldum as a three or two wider centre backs behind them in a back three.

Lucas has been a great servant. I can't agree his distribution is very, very, good. He sits at the base playing slow, simple passes a centre back can make under little to no pressure.

I think you make a good point about assisting the full backs. Once Lallana went out I thought we'd adopt a stronger centre. Can, Lucas and Wijnaldum is defensively strong. It supports the wide areas more and equally.

If you look at recent matches our full backs have had more support be it from Lucas, Can and Wijnaldum as a three or two wider centre backs behind them in a back three.
    We are agreed. Somehow the manager (by recent evidence) has formulated the team into a better defensive structure.

However, I disagree on your point that Lucas' distribution is always simple. I agree it's usually simple, but remember he's played alongside Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso.

If you watch carefully, he does pick the odd pass out!

Sakho can't play against us.

Ergo... We will win. Guarantee it.

We are agreed. Somehow the manager (by recent evidence) has formulated the team into a better defensive structure.

However, I disagree on your point that Lucas' distribution is always simple. I agree it's usually simple, but remember he's played alongside Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso.

If you watch carefully, he does pick the odd pass out!
    I watch carefully, it's often under-weighted and slightly behind the player he's passing too and overly cautious which is often a sign of lack of quality not trusting your own accuracy but we'll most likely always disagree on this one

I don't think the manager stumbled upon it, I don't think it's better either (overall) just a modification. Usually we condense the play down the right and have high pressure players there. Firmino pressing left to right and then Mane and Lallana pressing with Henderson and Clyne ready to snap in.

Pushing teams down our right and opening up space on the left for Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Milner with Firmino then switching across to link worked beautifully at the start of the season. Incredibly intense system for Firmino.

Now with no Mane, Klopp has switched to Origi up front who can work either flank and advanced the full backs to add width. That has to supplemented with defensive strength either by a back three to cover or a more defensive central 3 in midfield. It looks more symmetrical from an overview and it actually reduces the workload on Coutinho and Firmino which is why with a little rest they're now looking more effective.

It's actually very simple, very logical and conditions have caused this reshuffle. It's more solid and symmetrical but less likely to create free flowing football.

Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post

Wow, if one player missing guarantees us a win, that player must be brilliant. The new Messi of the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post

Kinell, do you think you over egg your Sakho agenda mate?

2+2=5 eh...or in this case 67