Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Palace (h) - Sun 23rd 16:30 - Sky Sports

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Wow, if one player missing guarantees us a win, that player must be brilliant. The new Messi of the defense.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Seriously!

Or, as is the case here, their replacement is simply not good enough plus there's a great deal of hyperbole in the statement. Nothing actually guarantees a win going into a sporting contest beyond the opponent being preemptively disqualified. Sakho being ineligible certainly is a blow to their chances but we still have to show up and actually beat them. The last two matches were encouraging but this is still the same side that laid down vs Swansea, at Hull, and several other times this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    I watch carefully, it's often under-weighted and slightly behind the player he's passing too and overly cautious which is often a sign of lack of quality not trusting your own accuracy but we'll most likely always disagree on this one

I don't think the manager stumbled upon it, I don't think it's better either (overall) just a modification. Usually we condense the play down the right and have high pressure players there. Firmino pressing left to right and then Mane and Lallana pressing with Henderson and Clyne ready to snap in.

Pushing teams down our right and opening up space on the left for Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Milner with Firmino then switching across to link worked beautifully at the start of the season. Incredibly intense system for Firmino.

Now with no Mane, Klopp has switched to Origi up front who can work either flank and advanced the full backs to add width. That has to supplemented with defensive strength either by a back three to cover or a more defensive central 3 in midfield. It looks more symmetrical from an overview and it actually reduces the workload on Coutinho and Firmino which is why with a little rest they're now looking more effective.

It's actually very simple, very logical and conditions have caused this reshuffle. It's more solid and symmetrical but less likely to create free flowing football.
    I wouldn't say it's better either, but if we do get into the Champions League, and we require a rearguard action, then we already have one, honed to perfection. Gung-ho and Gegenpress is exciting to watch, but through chance rather than reason (i.e. through circumstances out of Klopp's control) we do now have players who will give a solid defensive performance.

Surely, that's what we've been crying out for for ages, and something which will be absolutely necessary for Europe. In European away games, we just block them out. Everyone knows that.

Then we get them at home.

Coach791 is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I wouldn't say it's better either, but if we do get into the Champions League, and we require a rearguard action, then we already have one, honed to perfection. Gung-ho and Gegenpress is exciting to watch, but through chance rather than reason (i.e. through circumstances out of Klopp's control) we do now have players who will give a solid defensive performance.

Surely, that's what we've been crying out for for ages, and something which will be absolutely necessary for Europe. In European away games, we just block them out. Everyone knows that.

Then we get them at home.
    We'll see. I don't think it will Klopp's preferred approach.

nah he wants to go to the biggest and best and give them hell... said so himself earlier this season....

and that will always be klopps approach..... shame he forgot to do it at some of the smaller sides....

only reason he is going defensive now is because he has to...
    Last edited by fredthecamel; 18-4-17 at 16:38.

considering our lack of width bit suprising that wilson isnt getting near thesquad

i read he s scored 28 goals this season and is captain of the 23s...

i dont know too much about him but 28 goals from wide areas is pretty good at any level

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    considering our lack of width bit suprising that wilson isnt getting near thesquad

i read he s scored 28 goals this season and is captain of the 23s...
    I think he's pretty much done here, needs to leave in summer for his own good.

Quote Originally Posted by LivapewlDivas View Post
    I think he's pretty much done here, needs to leave in summer for his own good.
    yeah you d have thought with such a record of goals he d be ideal now if klopp deemed him good enough

seems ojo is done also... shame his few games in the first 11 showed vision and promise

Benteke's record against us is pretty good (5 in 8) and after his unsuccessful time here, he'll be keen to prove us wrong. That said, Lukaku also has a good scoring record against us and he was anonymous for most of the recent derby.

Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    Benteke's record against us is pretty good (5 in 8) and after his unsuccessful time here, he'll be keen to prove us wrong. That said, Lukaku also has a good scoring record against us and he was anonymous for most of the recent derby.
    This will be a right old ding-dong in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    Last five in this fixture:
    Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace (PL, 2015/16)
    Liverpool 1-3 Crystal Palace (PL, 2014/15)
    Liverpool 4-1 Crystal Palace (PL, 2013/14)
    Liverpool 3-2 Crystal Palace (PL, 2004/05)
    Liverpool 0-2 Crystal Palace (FA Cup 3R Replay, 2002/03)

Big Sam last five v Liverpool:
    Liverpool 2-2 Sunderland (PL, 2015/16)
    Sunderland 0-1 Liverpool (PL, 2015/16)
    Liverpool 2-0 West Ham (PL, 2014/15)
    West Ham 3-1 Liverpool (PL, 2014/15)
    West Ham 1-2 Liverpool (PL, 2013/14)

Their front three are in very good form (Townsend, Benteke, Zaha) so our defence faces another big test. Sakho's ineligibility should help us going forward though.
    Wow. I didn't realize that they have won the last two games at Anfield. God forbid, but if they win on Sunday and make it three-in-a-row, when was the last time anyone won three successive league games against us at Anfield?

The only likely candidates are the mancs, maybe, Arsenal, perhaps?

what do todays training photos tell you...

the first 10-14 pics are full of metal wall men..... something thats not seen this heavily in our usual training ground photos.... he s practising set pieces heavily.

and he has them all doing some form of yoga.... to prevent injuries ,,, smart move mr klopp..

he s looking for new ways to win in crisis times...

Hopefully Lovren and Matip both play, we are unbeaten the 14 times they paired up this season.

Quote Originally Posted by GAGGZY View Post
    Wow. I didn't realize that they have won the last two games at Anfield. God forbid, but if they win on Sunday and make it three-in-a-row, when was the last time anyone won three successive league games against us at Anfield?

they wont win on sunday.,.. we ll win ugly,, 2-1

klopp is finally showing he is prepared to win ugly.... its a slight pity he didnt do in janury and february but at least now when its most critical he is willing to sacrifice some attacking flair in order to get results....

hopefully when we hit a bad patch in future he ll tell them to dig and use set pieces and win ugly in after 1-2 losses instead of such a long poor run.. 0ur ply lacked a little variety at times...and now we are needing to win not like we did earlier in the season by blitzing teams with spellbinding football but by doggedness and sheer will to win.

will to win above all....

and i commend this
    Last edited by fredthecamel; 19-4-17 at 18:39.

Quote Originally Posted by GAGGZY View Post

Chelsea I think (1-2 in 03/04, 0-1 in 04/05 and 1-4 in 05/06), though plenty of teams have come close in the past four or five seasons (WBA, Arsenal, Manchester United).
    The 3-1 defeat in 2014/15 really got to me because it was Stevie's last game. 1-1 at half time I think, they scored a second which should've been disallowed, they got lucky with the penalty rebound to make it 3-1, pretty sure we had a goal/penalty ruled out as well.

Any win will do. Don't care what scoreline.

I think balance is where we have struggled this season .

we all want to play the Klopp way , but the lads need to show the intelligence to cover space and re-organise quicker so we don't get countered

we have the quality to dominate palace and win that's for sure

A dampener

Defensive crisis as Joel Matip, Lucas Leiva and Ragnar Klavan struggling with injury for Liverpool
    Jurgen Klopp says three players are not training at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    A dampener

Defensive crisis as Joel Matip, Lucas Leiva and Ragnar Klavan struggling with injury for Liverpool
    Brilliant. Maybe we can borrow Sakho for the game.

A dampener

Matip is the only big miss out of that lot.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    Really? So who plays CB now? Gomez?

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Really? So who plays CB now? Gomez?
    Obviously Gomez if we don't have any choice.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Obviously Gomez if we don't have any choice.
    Just funny you've only picked out Matip as a miss, completely ignoring how important the others become when they're actually needed.

Carry on.

Paper thin squad issues still threatening to ruin this season ... Plus it has to be said ... We don't half pick up injuries on a CONSTANT basis.

Is Matip going to be one of THOSE players ... The guy never seems to be able to stay fit.

We were all happy to see the squad get a nice rested week to prepare and all we get is news that they're dropping like flies.

You say that but now we have a real issue in MF as well with Lucas out.

Personally assuming the worst and all 3 of them are out. + the likes of Lallana etc. I would line up with the following:

Mignolet
    Clyne Lovren Gomez Milner
    Can
    Trent Wijnaldum
    Firmino Origi Coutinho

Subs: Karius, Whoever is fittest out of the 3, Moreno, Grujic, Wilson, Woodburn, Studge

Far far far from our best team, but hopefully we can still play with enough intensity to win despite the injuries.

A dampener

Not worried about Klavan and Lucas but Matip will be a big loss , hopefully he will be fit but if not Gomez may just step up to the plate .

This game is no foregone conclusion, if we're not at the races we will lose

We have just been getting over the line recently and Mignolet has saved us in certain situations, so we may need to do that again, but I don't care how we win the games even if we scrape past every team! we just need the wins

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    Paper thin squad issues still threatening to ruin this season ... Plus it has to be said ... We don't half pick up injuries on a CONSTANT basis.

Is Matip going to be one of THOSE players ... The guy never seems to be able to stay fit.

We were all happy to see the squad get a nice rested week to prepare and all we get is news that they're dropping like flies.
    Kornmayer needs to start earning his corn. As you say, too many players picking up niggles and knocks this season, and hardly rushing back.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky95 View Post
    You say that but now we have a real issue in MF as well with Lucas out.

Personally assuming the worst and all 3 of them are out. + the likes of Lallana etc. I would line up with the following:

Mignolet
    Clyne Lovren Gomez Milner
    Can
    Trent Wijnaldum
    Firmino Origi Coutinho

Subs: Karius, Whoever is fittest out of the 3, Moreno, Grujic, Wilson, Woodburn, Studge

Far far far from our best team, but hopefully we can still play with enough intensity to win despite the injuries.
    i dont fancy that 11 to beat anyone.... hope i m wrong but it looks weak at the back weak in midfield