Notices
Closed Thread
Page 52 of 94 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2800

Thread: FSG - Good, Bad or Indifferent? - including Stadium Expansion Debate.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Ah gotcha, yeah that's an interesting point. Before my time, but from what I've read about the Shankley era it probably was pretty extravagant spending for it's time - unlikely to have been funded by club revenues.

Did the earlier Moores have a much more aggressive strategy than our rivals? Yeah, quite probably.

Did David continue that, but just much less effectively? Or did he choose a more conservative spend what we earn approach? I know we still spent relatively heavily, but was that just what had been afforded by the success of the previous regime?

Hmmm? I'm getting tempted to find the time to look into it properly.
    Before my time too, going off a lot of reading done over the years.

I do remember stories about Moores personally forking out for Kuyt, and funding that ill fated Houllier summer of 2002. It's an interesting question though, did we enjoy a financial edge comparable to what we see today with city and Chelsea back in the 1970s?
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by redfoot View Post
    No, we just happen to agree on these points. We know you don't. No big deal. Just don't make things personal and we can debate any issue.
    I can't debate with you after your outlandish statements.

Quote Originally Posted by PejiVanbasten View Post
    We lost keegan and rush to bigger wages elsewhere. We didnt sign players because of wages and transfer fees too. Thats something that clubs like man city and chelsea care little about. The only reason they are forced to reign their spending in a little is because of ffp.

With moores, he never tried anything out of the box. He tried to do everything on the cheap. We sold our shares to granada for half the price of what granada bought shares in arsenal for a short while later.

The constant trying to get players to sign on the cheap. They tried it with fowler, messed mcmanaman around that he left, tried it with gerrard. There are other times when contracts where changed last minute too.

If you look in the the late 80s and 90s and see what united where doing in tapping in to every market. They went all around the globe, even tried to tap in to the basketball market when basketball started becoming huge! United and sky formed such a close bond that sky nearly bought them. The over exposure of man u on sky gave them so much global power. They just went from strength to strength.

We on the other hand were trying to run down the local area by buying some houses and boarding them up in the hope the area would get run down and residents would sell on the cheap. Rather than giving them a fair price, that was very bad.

If moores did not want to pay up we could have moved to numerous sites and sold off anfield and covered a lot of the costs. Moores also messed around kenny when kenny could have returned so many times when he was still a great manager. Instead we went the routes of souness, then the cheap option of roy evans.

There's so many of his disaster stories but my memory is not what it used to be. But speak to the old boys and lots more stories will come out.

Oh, also just remembered out terrible deals with carlsberg which the season after parry left we doubled! With moores and parry they just stuck to the basics and hoped us being a superpower would produce a few new stars and everything would be rosey again. We ran the academy in to the ground until rafa tried to restore it. Now fsg are finally trying to sort the academy out once and for all.
    Davy was clueless and took over at precisely the wrong time.

However, in an era where local business men could own European cup winners, did we have an advantage in the 70s and 80s comparable to what Chelsea and city enjoy, only the owners are foreign rather than local today?

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post

However, in an era where local business men could own European cup winners, did we have an advantage in the 70s and 80s comparable to what Chelsea and city enjoy, only the owners are foreign rather than local today?
    We did an advantage in 70's and 80's

We did an advantage in 70's and 80's
    It's just interesting how we love to dismiss Chelsea and City for 'buying' titles with 'oil money,' yet in our glory years did we not have a nice advantage from 'pools' money? Did we enjoy a comparative advantage to those clubs now? Was it 'buying' a title? I mean, it was hardly down to our commercial activities, or the tv deals back then.

It's just interesting how we love to dismiss Chelsea and City for 'buying' titles with 'oil money,' yet in our glory years did we not have a nice advantage from 'pools' money? Did we enjoy a comparative advantage to those clubs now? Was it 'buying' a title? I mean, it was hardly down to our commercial activities, or the tv deals back then.
    Where Chelsea and City's owners got their money has never really been an issue for me. I just don't think it's possible to amass a fortune like that without exploiting someone somewhere at some time.

I've just always seen a club finding an owner willing to spend like that as the equivalent of winning the lottery - you either get VERY lucky, or you don't.

Football club ownership has kind of always been about local businessmen buying the club and putting a few quid in as and when as something of a labour of love rather than a strict business interest.

But then, the landscape has changed. It's no longer local businessmen - most of them have spent as much as they could and then sold up when they realised it wasn't enough - it's now foreign investors. And presumably many (if not all) of these guys are here not for the love of their club but for profit.

Does that demand that they invest more of their own money to 'earn' that profit? Yeah, tbf it probably does. Why else were they brought in?

How have FSG done in that respect? I'm mobile atm so don't have easy access to my records but from memory I believe the numbers are something like 120m for transfers, plus a similar amount on the stadium, and next up a 50m investment in the new training complex - that's getting close to 300m in 7 years.

Compare that to our revenue when they bought us - about 180m - or now - about 300m - and I'd say that's a fairly significant amount.

Much more than David Moores could ever have managed, so in terms of why he sold up in the first place we have eventually found someone who could do what he couldn't - but is it enough?

I'd say it's a fair amount, but it's a lot less than Roman and the Sheikh spent, and they didn't have a pressing stadium issue at the top of their agenda so all theirs went on players. And with FSG coming to the party later they obviously had these newly rich clubs to compete with making the benchmark ever higher.

No. There is a difference. We took years of graft in trying to build up. Plus in those days the majority of money came from the gate. So the bigger the crowd, the more money you got.

We were never in a position where we could just spend spend spend. We held a slight advantage over some clubs because we got the prize money for winning some big competitions and we had the appeal of being liverpool fc. But we didnt have the money advantage chelsea and city have. We would have been bankrupt trying to do what they did.

Just look at how we lost rush and keegan to bigger salaries elsewhere.

Before my time too, going off a lot of reading done over the years.

I do remember stories about Moores personally forking out for Kuyt, and funding that ill fated Houllier summer of 2002. It's an interesting question though, did we enjoy a financial edge comparable to what we see today with city and Chelsea back in the 1970s?
    Dont think moores funded the houllier spending out of his own pocket.

Moores did lend liverpool fc money to buy kuyt because our finances were so bad. The club paid moores back for that. We were close to selling the club to DIC yet they were not giving an answer. So the deal went dead, the club needed players, moores lent the club some money. Part or all its not certain and then he was paid back as it was a debt to the club.

raybarnes is offline Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14

Cash is King

No. There is a difference. We took years of graft in trying to build up. Plus in those days the majority of money came from the gate. So the bigger the crowd, the more money you got.

We were never in a position where we could just spend spend spend. We held a slight advantage over some clubs because we got the prize money for winning some big competitions and we had the appeal of being liverpool fc. But we didnt have the money advantage chelsea and city have. We would have been bankrupt trying to do what they did.

Just look at how we lost rush and keegan to bigger salaries elsewhere.
    More comparable to Blackburn then maybe? Just perhaps more prolonged and better sustained?

Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Cash is King
    Chelsea and Leicester last season.

Just read Alisha Usmanov has put in a $1,3 billion takeover bid of Arsenal. Just shows if you don't agree with the owners policies and you have the money, you go for a buyout.
    Hardly a buy out. Hes putting an offer in thats below value. Trying to get the club during a tough season for them. Also he has made a few digs agains kroenke and this seems to be another one to win over the fans.

If he wanted the club, the guys worth 12billion. Put in an offer of 2 billion and watch them sell up.

Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Cash is King
    Cash helps - but ambition and a direction are key

raybarnes is offline Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    All are needed

Hardly a buy out. Hes putting an offer in thats below value. Trying to get the club during a tough season for them. Also he has made a few digs agains kroenke and this seems to be another one to win over the fans.

If he wanted the club, the guys worth 12billion. Put in an offer of 2 billion and watch them sell up.
    What exactly is the offer? Is it based on total value of the club or is it 1bn just for Kroenke's 67%? I suspect probably the latter, and it will be based on their current market valuation.

What exactly is the offer? Is it based on total value of the club or is it 1bn just for Kroenke's 67%? I suspect probably the latter, and it will be based on their current market valuation.
    Possibly. But my point is if a guy wants to buy a club like a roman or sheikh, he cane just simply put an offer in that no business man would refuse. Like if someone offered well above market value for lfc, fsg would sell. The only two owners who would not are roman and sheikh. Because they did not buy the clubs to be an asset, more an enjoyment for them.

Possibly. But my point is if a guy wants to buy a club like a roman or sheikh, he cane just simply put an offer in that no business man would refuse. Like if someone offered well above market value for lfc, fsg would sell. The only two owners who would not are roman and sheikh. Because they did not buy the clubs to be an asset, more an enjoyment for them.
    You don't make that your opening bid though. Starting at market value makes perfect sense, especially if you feel that by going public you can garner significant public support.

Fsg have the ambition. Shown by sacking three managers.

We have the direction with klopp.

We have cash with our revenues being very high but we are behind four other teams in this department. Reality.

You don't make that your opening bid though. Starting at market value makes perfect sense, especially if you feel that by going public you can garner significant public support.
    Im thinking this is more of a publicity stunt in trying to get fans on his side and get stan to sell his shares cheaper. If stan does not sell his shares cheaper, i dont see usmanov buying them at an inflated rate.

Fsg have the ambition. Shown by sacking three managers.

We have the direction with klopp.

We have cash with our revenues being very high but we are behind four other teams in this department. Reality.
    Thats your opinion - not mine

More comparable to Blackburn then maybe? Just perhaps more prolonged and better sustained?
    No again.

Walker did not have endless pockets and lost a lot of the players later to bigger fees.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...le-earned-1995

Thats your opinion - not mine
    So you dont think fsg have ambition?
    Or you dont think klopp is the right direction?

Which one?

Im thinking this is more of a publicity stunt in trying to get fans on his side and get stan to sell his shares cheaper. If stan does not sell his shares cheaper, i dont see usmanov buying them at an inflated rate.
    Well obviously he doesn't want to pay a BILLION POUNDS more than they're worth. He's not an idiot. Even if he's got massively ambitious plans for the club he'd be looking at spending that billion on players over quite a good few years. Why set his plans back by giving Kroenke a huge profit - especially if he feels that Kroenke is doing more harm than good.

Of course his best approach is to make a fair offer and hope that public pressure brings Kroenke to the table.

No again.

Walker did not have endless pockets and lost a lot of the players later to bigger fees.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...le-earned-1995
    Yeah, so like us then? Invest heavily to get to the top, but not sustained investment to stay there and not so huge that you're spending is on a completely different level to the rest of the football world.

We're talking about our original growth under the earlier Moores.

Well obviously he doesn't want to pay a BILLION POUNDS more than they're worth. He's not an idiot. Even if he's got massively ambitious plans for the club he'd be looking at spending that billion on players over quite a good few years. Why set his plans back by giving Kroenke a huge profit - especially if he feels that Kroenke is doing more harm than good.

Of course his best approach is to make a fair offer and hope that public pressure brings Kroenke to the table.
    Yes of course. This is something you have to tell the other guys on here that keep saying 'whats a few billion to billionaires' etc. About how 70m is nothing to john henry and he could easily fund it himself.

What i said to them was that if it was like that, then billionaires would be easy to find and get them to spend a 'few billion, whats a few billion to them'.

Redfoot posted that usmanov will buy the club. Redfoots mates are worth a combined 115billion yet he cant get them to spend a couple of billion on us!

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    'Ambition' isn't a black and white term though. It's not something you have or don't have, there are degrees of it. With football there's a lot of moving parts. I think FSG do have a level of ambition, what I think we lack is maybe top people in some key areas.
    Last edited by MishMasch; 20-5-17 at 12:26.

Yes of course. This is something you have to tell the other guys on here that keep saying 'whats a few billion to billionaires' etc. About how 70m is nothing to john henry and he could easily fund it himself.

What i said to them was that if it was like that, then billionaires would be easy to find and get them to spend a 'few billion, whats a few billion to them'.

Redfoot posted that usmanov will buy the club. Redfoots mates are worth a combined 115billion yet he cant get them to spend a couple of billion on us!
    Sorry. It gets confusing when you're talking to me as if I'm someone else and you're 'arguing' for other people too.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...ulian-13059060

For those saying we didnt go for anyone in jan and money wasnt available and klopp is lying.

Sorry. It gets confusing when you're talking to me as if I'm someone else and you're 'arguing' for other people too.
    Sorry for the confusion. But if you read my post at 12:02 you will see the point i was making the whole time.

Sorry for the confusion. But if you read my post at 12:02 you will see the point i was making the whole time.
    Not really. I thought you'd since agreed that it's highly unlikely anyone would actually do that? And that I need to explain that to others rather than you?
    Suggesting you already knew that before posting.

Never mind.