Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan Henderson - and this injury

Quote Originally Posted by Defo-skitso View Post
    I'm a big Hendo fan but this latest run we have put together shows we don't really miss him. And Cans best position is clearly where Henderson plays. Fit or not I'm guessing he won't get back in this season if the others are available.
    We played our best footy this season with Hendo at the 6, so to an extent it could be interpreted he is still missed.

BUT Can has stepped up and is dominating games in the last 3-4 games. So he certainly shouldn't be dropped for someone who is still struggling with an injury.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    As long as Can is performing then let Henderson get himself right for next season. Whoever performs better in pre season should get the nod next season.
    Last edited by spider-neil; 17-4-17 at 08:53.

His name always springs to mind the sight of him and Sterling chasing down the same ball. It was like a Python sketch , who's got the most ridiculous running style .

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    And that was my next question.

Would it be wise to tie Lucas Leiva down to a new deal? The rumours are that he may leave for a fee of around 2.5m which is not that great a figure at all.

He is still only 30-years-old and is an experienced head in the dressing room. And over the past few weeks he has shown that he is still a useful player to have in front of the defence when injuries have hit us in that area. Would it really be a bad idea to keep him on as a squad player for a few more seasons?

It's an incredible fee considering his contract is up this summer and he becomes a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    And that was my next question.

Would it be wise to tie Lucas Leiva down to a new deal? The rumours are that he may leave for a fee of around 2.5m which is not that great a figure at all.

He is still only 30-years-old and is an experienced head in the dressing room. And over the past few weeks he has shown that he is still a useful player to have in front of the defence when injuries have hit us in that area. Would it really be a bad idea to keep him on as a squad player for a few more seasons?
    No. It would be far from wise. Lucas should be moved on at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    As long as Can is not performing then let Henderson get himself right for next season. Whoever performs better in pre season should get the nod next season.
    I agree with this, but in saying that there will easily be enough games for both to get nearly 90 min a week when in europe. We need them both fit. The in form player gets the bigger games. That's how i see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrams View Post
    No. It would be far from wise. Lucas should be moved on at the end of the season.
    Yep, we need to move on Lucas and possibly some of the players on the fringes of first team action and replace them with some quality to provide genuine competition.

If the Henderson injury is going to be an on going thing we should probably spend big on a top player and swap the captaincy to someone else.

Keep Lucas forever.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    For the record, lucas' contract is up 'next' summer not this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    No he doesn't.. He is about as ordinary as the blades of grass on the pitch
    Is he aye?

I'd be quite interested if someone could find it what our win percentage is with and without Henderson in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Snippes View Post
    This

We've been saying this about Lucas for years now and he is still here despite having several opportunities, even nudges, to exit the door. I am not sure we should assume we know what he wants. Maybe the guy is so settled and happy here that family, friends, just having been here a long time is more important to him than leaving for another club for game time that might or may not be forthcoming. Frankly, every time I see him play, he strikes me as a player who is very much in that experience but bit part player who is best coming in occasionally either for injured players or for tactical reasons and having rests in between. He was clearly struggling towards the end today as well. The clubs he's been linked with in Italy like Inter...I don't see how he can go there and knock of a Kondogbia starter type or that his body would hold up anyway if he had to take on full time duties elsewhere.

So Lucas might already be in the perfect situation for himself. He is still so well respected here and is the old head in the camp for the Latin players and I expect others as well. Why not stay here, be an integral even if abbreviated part of the squad and maybe this helps extend his playing days even further. he has a great relationship with Klopp and maybe that can help set up the next phase of his career as well.

I personally think there is always room in the squad of a successful team for players like Lucas with very specialized roles even if they are not full time. I see no reason to rush him out the door.
    Thats an outstanding post. Janno should put this in that thread he created. It doesn't belong in a Hendo thread. Again outstanding post.

Lucas forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    Lucas forever.
    Err no. Another season at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanduskyy View Post
    Ha...don't think your point has been "proved" at all mate...I am of the opinion that he has been missed sorely...feeling fortunate so far...
    He hasn't been missed at all, I don't know how you can come to that opinion, especially "sorely". Look at our win percentage with/without him in the team this season.

With him in the team:

Played: 24
    Won: 14 (58%)
    Drawn: 6
    Lost: 4 (17%)

Without him in the team:

Played: 9
    Won: 5 (56%)
    Drawn: 3
    Lost: 1 (11%)

If we beat Palace on Sunday, our win percentage will be higher when he's not played (60%) compared to when he has played (58%).

Has Henderson been very good when he's played this season? Yes.

Do we miss him? Evidently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Pat View Post
    henderson had more poor games than great games. fact.

team bailed him out on numerous occasions. Can is far the superior
    Not a fact at all, actually absurd.

Poor games:
    Arguably Arsenal (A) (although I even feel harsh saying that)
    Burnley (A)
    First half of Swansea (A)
    Southampton (A)
    Bournemouth (A)
    Swansea (H)
    Hull (A)

Poor games: 6 and a half

Great games:
    Spurs (A)
    Leicester (H)
    Chelsea (A)
    Hull (H)
    Second half of Swansea (A)
    Watford (H)
    Sunderland (H)
    Middlesbrough (A)
    Everton (A)
    Spurs (H)

Great games: 9 and a half

The way you exaggerate Henderson is pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by DahoudAreYou View Post
    Not a fact at all, actually absurd.

Poor games:
    Arguably Arsenal (A) (although I even feel harsh saying that)
    Burnley (A)
    First half of Swansea (A)
    Southampton (A)
    Bournemouth (A)
    Swansea (H)
    Hull (A)

Poor games: 6 and a half

Great games:
    Spurs (A)
    Leicester (H)
    Chelsea (A)
    Hull (H)
    Second half of Swansea (A)
    Watford (H)
    Sunderland (H)
    Middlesbrough (A)
    Everton (A)
    Spurs (H)

Great games: 9 and a half

The way you exaggerate Henderson is pretty crazy.
    The arsenal away game isn't arguably mate, he was *********** atrocious in that game and even worse against Burnley.

Really don't understand why people dislike Henderson so much. He gives a lot to the team and is much less prone to making dumb mistakes than Can. We played our best football this season with him, Lallana, and Wijnaldum in the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    .. are you not aware that AngriestRed's opinions and feelings are now the yardstick by which all others should be judged? Then again, it was Emaxx2 making that claim, which kind of says it all.

What does it say?I think I have a better record of being right than you Mr Ibe is going to be a star and Sterling wasn't really that good(which you deny now)

You're all idiots anyway.

Can is playing in Lallanas position not Hendersons, so, why will he be competing with Henderson for his position rather than Lallana when they are both back from injury?

Three pages of completely the wrong argument. Probably only so some can bash Henderson a bit since it's hard to do when he's not playing.

"No way is Henderson displacing Can".

Well Can isn't even playing in his position so go to the Lucas thread and make that statement. Though I understand it might be difficult as all you Henderson haters probably hate Lucas just as much so you can't really knock Henderson in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    Really don't understand why people dislike Henderson so much. He gives a lot to the team and is much less prone to making dumb mistakes than Can. We played our best football this season with him, Lallana, and Wijnaldum in the midfield.
    He is less prone because he always plays it safe, that's my biggest problem with him. Can can be having a terrible game but he is not afraid to keep trying to win us the game. With Henderson we could be losing the game and he would be still trying to recycle the ball to our centre backs

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    He is less prone because he always plays it safe, that's my biggest problem with him. Can can be having a terrible game but he is not afraid to keep trying to win us the game. With Henderson we could be losing the game and he would be still trying to recycle the ball to our centre backs
    I get ya, but he does stupid things like in the 93rd minute against the baggies when he tries to thread a ball through their back line. I was screaming for him to bring it or play it towards the corner.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    Who cares what happened to him? Can has stepped his game up and we are in a decent run of form... I don't miss him one bit... Hopefully he gets better soon so we can fetch a good fee for him
    We'd have won the league had Hendo not been sent off at home to City that season

Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    I get ya, but he does stupid things like in the 93rd minute against the baggies when he tries to thread a ball through their back line. I was screaming for him to bring it or play it towards the corner.
    Yeah that is immaturity from a young player

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    We'd have won the league had Hendo not been sent off at home to City that season
    Complete myth that

Yeah that is immaturity from a young player
    He's 23. He's not that young anymore.

Complete myth that
    Of course you would think that.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Of course you would think that.
    No if you look at the games in detail and not just the fact that he was absent you wouldnt be able to tell me how his presence could have changed what happened against Chelsea and Palace

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    He's 23. He's not that young anymore.
    Umm Players aren't fully polished or refined by that age, e.g Gerrard

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Complete myth that
    Is it ?

I think we would have, he was an integral part of that team and as soon as we took him out we never looked the same side and consequently we blew the league

I hope people get used to this kind of discussion, i.e. player A or player B in whatever position. Our squad is paper thin with little quality back up, if and when we do actually manage to beef up our squad with quality players then we'll be seeing a lot more people discussing their favorite formation. We NEED to have players of ( at least) the likes of Henderson fighting for a place in the team, I just wish we had this problem in other positions, it'd be good to have a right back of similar quality pushing for Clyne's position for example.