Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: 81 Points

1. #1 Default 81 Points 
    This has felt like another topsy turvy season for Liverpool... But if we can finish on the strongest note possible, it would be incredibly significant.

We've only gotten 80 or more points since the Premier League began in 1992:

Not once
    in the 90s.

2001-02 we got 80.

2005-06 we got 82.

2008-09 we got 86.

2013-14 we got 84.

So now, we are currently on 66pts with 5 "winnable" games left. Win all 5, we get to 81pts. It's a tough ask without certain key players but our lads are in better form now.

There are no prizes for it, but the importance of a strong finish - and the same amount of points that Leicester WON THE LEAGUE WITH LAST YEAR!! - would represent huge and real progress, CL or not.

Palace, Watford, Soton, West Ham and Boro left. How many points do you think we'll end up with?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    This has felt like another topsy turvy season for Liverpool... But if we can finish on the strongest note possible, it would be incredibly significant.

Not once
    in the 90s.

2001-02 we got 80.

2005-06 we got 82.

2008-09 we got 86.

2013-14 we got 84.

So now, we are currently on 66pts with 5 "winnable" games left. Win all 5, we get to 81pts. It's a tough ask without certain key players but our lads are in better form now.

There are no prizes for it, but the importance of a strong finish - and the same amount of points that Leicester WON THE LEAGUE WITH LAST YEAR!! - would represent huge and real progress, CL or not.

Palace, Watford, Soton, West Ham and Boro left. How many points do you think we'll end up with?
    after united beat chelsea it will give them confidence so i expect we may have to win most of them

our home form has been strong enough to challenge so far this season. while it would represent real progress to finish on 80 points, the gulf between the top 6 and the rest has meant it's been a high pace, I think at one point the premier league were on for a record number of points between those contending at the top. the standard has been mixed somewhere in the middle compared to the past 6 seasons, it has yo-yoed.

5 games i'd snap your hand off for ten points

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    our home form has been strong enough to challenge so far this season. while it would represent real progress to finish on 80 points, the gulf between the top 6 and the rest has meant it's been a high pace, I think at one point the premier league were on for a record number of points between those contending at the top. the standard has been mixed somewhere in the middle compared to the past 6 seasons, it has yo-yoed.

5 games i'd snap your hand off for ten points

If we finish with 81 it'll be half 'Yeah, get in!' and half '****, we coulda woulda shoulda won the title.'

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    win the next 3, draw , win the last. bob's your uncle

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    If we finish with 81 it'll be half 'Yeah, get in!' and half '****, we coulda woulda shoulda won the title.'
    no one could of expected chelsea slowing down, and considering the title was gone from way out (3 months ago) I don't know why anyone would of expected for lfc to win it with 5 games left

Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post

Not once
    in the 90s.

2001-02 we got 80.

2005-06 we got 82.

2008-09 we got 86.

2013-14 we got 84.

If we beat all those teams we are supposed to beat because we have better players, then that will be the real progress - with a points total a dollop of cream on top.

It's a tall ask though, given our track record

no one could of expected chelsea slowing down, and considering the title was gone from way out (3 months ago) I don't know why anyone would of expected for lfc to win it with 5 games left
    City, United, arsenal having uneven seasons. Chelsea looked cack until a ridiculous winning streak that was unlikely to be sustained.

Ergo the mixed feelings, did well if we make top 4, but looking at the teams we messed up against, was it an opportunity missed?

For reference, this were the final points tally achieved by every PL champion:

1992-93 Manchester United

1993-94 Manchester United

1994-95 Blackburn Rovers

1995-96 Manchester United

199697 Manchester United

199798 Arsenal

199899 Manchester United

19992000 Manchester United

200001 Manchester United

200102 Arsenal

200203 Manchester United

200304 Arsenal

200405 Chelsea

200506 Chelsea

200607 Manchester United

200708 Manchester United

200809 Manchester United

200910 Chelsea

201011 Manchester United

201112 Manchester City

201213 Manchester United

201314 Manchester City

201415 Chelsea

201516 Leicester City

I definitely do not see us getting 81 points. Looking at last season which by all standards was a strange season, we finished on 60 with top four needing just 66 and 2nd on 71.

Still before the season started if someone offered us 66 points with five games to go, you would take it. If we finish on 75 or so points, thats 15 more than last season although some is down to us having no cup runs.

We could still miss out on top four and united concern me very much. If we get top four, that gives klopp a chance to field the heavyweights in the CL and prem and give the cups to the second string. Should help us very much moving forwards.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Excuse my pointing out this is a soap box thread that could easily have been a post in this thread :

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/thread...ces-now/page38

Anyway, with Mane we might have had a shot at 81 points, without him I'd be surprised if we managed more wins in a row than we did with him in the side - four in a row, twice (Leicester home, Chelsea away, Hull home, Swansea away and again Boro away, bitters away, Stoke home, citeh home)

Of course we're half way to that tally, but this is only the fifth time we've managed (starts off with) two in a row and whilst three have ended up 3-4, point is to stretch it to what would be seven is asking some when we couldn't manage more than four in a row WITH Mane............

We can all look at the fixtures and draw conclusions, "easy", "not easy", "hard", somewhere in the middle, all sorts of ways at looking at it ON PAPER (well cyberpaper) Well let's look at it from the "well how easy could they be?" angle, not to be negative, just no point looking at games and going "well we should win all of those!" and wonder after we lose why on earth we didn't..............

Palace (h) - Reverse fixture PAL 2-4 LIV.
    They have ruffled a few feathers with wins at leaders Chelsea and rather too easily put away Arsenal just 10 days ago. They'll feel relatively comfortable being seven points clear of 18th and having won FIVE of their last seven games. They won't have Sakho, but we won't have Mane, and they'll have Benteke who could well come back to haunt us as it were.

Wasn't like we were easy winners at their's, 2-2 when they equalised on 33 minutes, a Matip header before half time saw us take the lead for the third time but it wasn't until Firmino's goal in the 71st minute that we put some space between us and them, this back when they'd won just three league games and two of them over resident bottom two Sunderland and Boro

Watford (a) - Reverse fixture LIV 6-1 WAT
    Sitting midtable, we did stuff them earlier this season with three first half goals including one of his brace by Mane. Perhaps as relevant a result is the 0-3 defeat we suffered there last season, with Clyne, Coutinho, Can, Lucas and Firmino likely to start the game again (with Lallana and Henderson also starting that game)

To boot they've entered a run of three wins in their last four, the defeat a humbling 0-4 away defeat albeit at title contenders spudz. Not sure if three home wins in a row against modest opponents to relegation candidates is in their favour or can be ignored.

Southampton (h) - Reverse fixture SOU 0-0 LIV
    Played them THREE times this season, haven't scored yet including a pair of 0-1 defeats in the semi final legs of the League Cup. Their form is patchy, may help our cause.

West Ham (a) - Reverse fixture LIV 2-2 WHU
    Went ahead, behind and then drew against them in December, but for some reason made no further changes to the one before we equalised ie no changes out of a possible two for 42+ minutes

Good news is they are on a run of one win in NINE games, that a 1-0 over Swansea at home. Bad news is we lost 0-2 at their's and 0-3 at our's last season, and have beaten them just once in the past three seasons including this - January 2015, 2-0 at Anfield. To boot that includes two cup ties, one win in the last seven since our double over them in 13/14

Boro (h) - Reverse fixture MID 0-3 LIV
    They've won only four games in the league, can't really hope for anything worse to visit surely? Beat them comfortably at their's, they haven't won in their last eight and if you take out cup wins over lower league opposition, or maybe just cups entirely, their last win was over four months ago and they've not won in 15 league games since said win four months ago (vs Swansea) = P15 W0 D6 L9 PTS 9

Pretty sure they're lowest scorers overall in the league, joint lowest away from home yet somehow conspired to draw more away than anyone else (seven - at WBA, West Ham, Arsenal, citeh, Leicester, Watford and Swansea) Unsurprisingly SEVEN of their 12 draws in the league have been 0-0, perhaps we shouldn't be too complacent given they drew at champions Leicester, and at citeh and Arsenal as well.

So I'd suggest we should be wary of palace, and of Watford, Southampton have the upper hand on us, West Ham seemingly the indian sign over us at the moment, and Boro have drawn 1/3 of their games so take nothing for granted with them either - and they might be relegated by then, that can often upset the apple cart when it comes to (less than) predictable results
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by PejiVanbasten View Post
    I definitely do not see us getting 81 points. Looking at last season which by all standards was a strange season, we finished on 60 with top four needing just 66 and 2nd on 71.

Still before the season started if someone offered us 66 points with five games to go, you would take it. If we finish on 75 or so points, thats 15 more than last season although some is down to us having no cup runs.

We could still miss out on top four and united concern me very much. If we get top four, that gives klopp a chance to field the heavyweights in the CL and prem and give the cups to the second string. Should help us very much moving forwards.
    Echo reckons we might be okay with 71 points. I'm not so sure.

Most of our direct competitors have to play each other, points are going to be dropped. I think ManU are out of it - they'd have to win all their big games. I can't see that happening. It's between us and City for third spot.

81 points would be an amazing feat considering our problems with injuries/lack of squad depth. We may even finish 2nd if Spurs concede the title and lose the last 2-3 games like they did last season (and what they did when conceding top 4). But that's too optimistic I think, 81 points and 3rd will be good enough I hope we don't take our foot off the gas if United get knocked out tonight (knowing we can qualify in 4th not needing 3rd to be sure) as we have a good run in, and after two tough away wins I'm confident we can win them all.

looks like it's going to be 76 points if we beat the boro

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    looks like it's going to be 76 points if we beat the boro
    IF we do manage 76 that will be one of our better points return in the Premier League era. Bear in mind we've managed 80+ only three times in finishing runners-up so 76 would be a pretty good return.

Also aren't we on like 75 goals? (IIRC) I believe from yesterday looking at it that has only 77 (08/09) and 101 (13/14) ahead of it so again quite remarkable (bet that sounded in everyone British's head with a certain accent/voice)
    People will believe what they want to believe

fowlers2atgrayskull is offline Academy prospect
    Without a striker for most of the season too

Rafa would of won the league in this era, shame he had Ferguson on top of his game, Mourinho in his prime with billions to spend on top of an already great side, Wenger knew what he was doing as well.

I guess most things are about timing, and he arrived in a difficult time to win the league, it was much easier in the 90s and now.