Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We shouldn't be anywhere near top 4

Matip is a 30m defender.

We got lucky to get him on a free. If we had paid 30m for him, i dont think anyone would be complaining that he was not worth it in todays fees.

So maybe re do the calculation with that basis!

Or maybe do it all again on the basis off wages per team. Based on wages, we should be right up there!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by agb1037 View Post
    Most will agree that Klopp is doing a good job.
    apologies I didn't think the majority of fans would think klopp has been outstanding this season if he doesn't secure top four

It's not the ingredients that count, it's the chef.. and Herr Klopp is der Maesterchef!

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    apologies I didn't think the majority of fans would think klopp has been outstanding this season if he doesn't secure top four
    I'm a fan, and think he's doing a decent job, but I don't agree with the apparently common perception that he's making a silk purse out of a sows ear - I think we have a decent group of players that should be competing at the upper end of the table. I'm not at all surprised that we are where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    He is achieving top four so most fans think he's doing a good job

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalTeamFootball View Post
    It's not the ingredients that count, it's the chef.. and Herr Klopp is der Maesterchef!
    Yes, but even the greatest of chefs need to freshen things up from time to time

liverpool19734 is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    Yes, but even the greatest of chefs need to freshen things up from time to time
    And Klopp hasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    I'm a fan, and think he's doing a decent job, but I don't agree with the apparently common perception that he's making a silk purse out of a sows ear - I think we have a decent group of players that should be competing at the upper end of the table. I'm not at all surprised that we are where we are.
    I'd agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    And Klopp hasn't?
    Yes, and he will do so again.

I was replying to Techo's assertion that ingredients don't count.

We have a squad which at worst is the sixth best in the prem. So based on that, being one of the top six clubs in the country, you would think we should have a decent shout at top four. Especially as we have a bit more stability with klopp in his second year.

Maureen, conte and pep are in their first seasons so we have that edge over them.

This is why many doubt the way in which our club is ran, we might finish top four here and there, but is it really sustainable when all the other clubs are going to blow us out of the transfer market every summer ?

Time will tell.

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    We need to be getting regular CL footbal to complete not just the odd season

Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    We need to be getting regular CL footbal to complete not just the odd season
    Hopefully we can be the team to push Arsenal out - of course we will need a tighter defence and more shape and balance from the front 6....

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Hopefully we can be the team to push Arsenal out - of course we will need a tighter defence and more shape and balance from the front 6....
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    It would be nice wouldnt it, I just want us to have two good finishes for two seasons on the trot, it would be the first time this has happened for a while and would actually show that we are getting somewhere eh.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    It would be nice wouldnt it, I just want us to have two good finishes for two seasons on the trot, it would be the first time this has happened for a while and would actually show that we are getting somewhere eh.
    spot on - consistent growth not goddamn spurts of potential

This is why many doubt the way in which our club is ran, we might finish top four here and there, but is it really sustainable when all the other clubs are going to blow us out of the transfer market every summer ?

Time will tell.
    Many clubs spent more then us this season, and they are far bellow us.
    How much you spend is not the same as spending the money wisely.
    And look at arsenal. As soon as they began to spend on expensive players they fell apart

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Many clubs spent more then us this season, and they are far bellow us.
    How much you spend is not the same as spending the money wisely.
    And look at arsenal. As soon as they began to spend on expensive players they fell apart
    One season is neither here nor there in the general scheme of things, what we need is consistent growth, just like Ron said.

We have been pretty hit and miss for a long long time, one step forward and two steps back, there is only one way to tell if our plan will work out sustainable in the long term.

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalTeamFootball View Post
    every masterchef will tell you quality and freshness of initial ingredients is imperative in good cooking

Quote Originally Posted by agb1037 View Post
    It is not inferior when everybody is fit.
    Our first 13-16 or so depending on which subs you want to count isn't inferior. Unfortunately, beyond that there's a pretty noticeable drop-off in quality/experience and we've had to delve that deeply way too often. If our season injury list looked like Chelsea's we'd probably be right there with (or above) them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Our first 13-16 or so depending on which subs you want to count isn't inferior. Unfortunately, beyond that there's a pretty noticeable drop-off in quality/experience and we've had to delve that deeply way too often. If our season injury list looked like Chelsea's we'd probably be right there with (or above) them.
    That is a good point, we have to be ready and prepared for injuries though, our squad just does not have enough quality in it to cope with these instances.

I doubt Klopp will make that mistake again.

There are elements of our first 11 that are a match, even superior to some of the other top sides but there are also elements that are definitely inferior.

Overall our squad is not at the same level as the other 'top five' sides.

That is a good point, we have to be ready and prepared for injuries though, our squad just does not have enough quality in it to cope with these instances.

I doubt Klopp will make that mistake again.
    I think he knew going in there was the potential for it to get dodgy at times but didn't want to bring in too many new faces. This summer will be about building the squad back out to size to cope with a heavier workload by adding a half dozen or so more while keeping most everyone from this season. I'd be surprised to see anyone beyond Sturridge that's featured somewhat regularly this season go.

I think he knew going in there was the potential for it to get dodgy at times but didn't want to bring in too many new faces. This summer will be about building the squad back out to size to cope with a heavier workload by adding a half dozen or so more while keeping most everyone from this season. I'd be surprised to see anyone beyond Sturridge that's featured somewhat regularly this season go.
    moreno lucas markovic slkho sturridge

thats five gone though three of those 5 were totally unused

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post

Bit harsh fred.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Bit harsh fred.
    sakho

One season is neither here nor there in the general scheme of things, what we need is consistent growth, just like Ron said.

We have been pretty hit and miss for a long long time, one step forward and two steps back, there is only one way to tell if our plan will work out sustainable in the long term.
    And that growth should not be a spending race with other clubs. Its not about how much you spend. But with what you end up with for the money.
    And we have wasted a big amount of money on useless players for long time. That is what needs to be changed.
    Last edited by Anubis; 21-4-17 at 15:54.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post

Not sure Lucas goes, it depends on what he wants really. If he wants to go to a retirement league and start every match then sure, he'll be gone. If he wants to carry on as a bit/cup player I can easily see it happening. He won't be forced out, I'm not entirely sure Moreno and Markovic will be cast aside either. Sakho, probably Sturridge, and a number of the fringe like Randall, Ojo, Bogdan, Manninger, Wisdom, etc. will be shown the door.

Not sure Lucas goes, it depends on what he wants really. If he wants to go to a retirement league and start every match then sure, he'll be gone. If he wants to carry on as a bit/cup player I can easily see it happening. He won't be forced out, I'm not entirely sure Moreno and Markovic will be cast aside either. Sakho, probably Sturridge, and a number of the fringe like Randall, Ojo, Bogdan, Manninger, Wisdom, etc. will be shown the door.
    What a grand idea, bit like the seniors tour?

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    What a grand idea, bit like the seniors tour?
    It's quite the spectacle.

http://footyblog.net/wp-content/uplo...all-Dublin.jpg