Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 416

Thread: One trophy in 8 years and one CL finish, Is that good enough?

  1. #1 Default One trophy in 8 years and one CL finish, Is that good enough? 
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    We as fans should be demanding a lot more from our beloved club's hierarchy and as much as we love Klopp he isn't totally faultless nor were his predecessors but where do we go from here? What has become of this club? It seems like we're happy with FSG can't fault them, can't ask for new ownership, can't do anything, you moan too much you're not a true fan, ask for success (well you can't have instant success), ask for new ownership (you get told it isn't the Liverpool way and we don't want to buy trophies). I've remained patient for long as I could remember but when you see clubs like Tottenham running away from you (yes they haven't won anything significant but they have finished above us for a good few years now) you need to start worrying.

    We get told by the media we'll spend like crazy, we have unlimited funds, we'll have rejuvnated squad, etc... then you get a bench like we did on Sunday and you think wtf is this?

    I love Klopp as much as the next person and I've been hearing he has money every minute but he refuses to spend yet somehow... I didn't want Klopp to be a yes man cos of his reputation but he is exactly that just like Rodgers was. Another year without CL football could be and will be disastrous for us.

    So fellow reds are we happy with where the club is right now?
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    14,365
    No divine right to win silverware.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    No divine right to win silverware.
    the lack of ambition the club is showing is killing me inside.
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,982
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    We as fans should be demanding a lot more from our beloved club's hierarchy and as much as we love Klopp he isn't totally faultless nor were his predecessors but where do we go from here? What has become of this club? It seems like we're happy with FSG can't fault them, can't ask for new ownership, can't do anything, you moan too much you're not a true fan, ask for success (well you can't have instant success), ask for new ownership (you get told it isn't the Liverpool way and we don't want to buy trophies). I've remained patient for long as I could remember but when you see clubs like Tottenham running away from you (yes they haven't won anything significant but they have finished above us for a good few years now) you need to start worrying.

    We get told by the media we'll spend like crazy, we have unlimited funds, we'll have rejuvnated squad, etc... then you get a bench like we did on Sunday and you think wtf is this?

    I love Klopp as much as the next person and I've been hearing he has money every minute but he refuses to spend yet somehow... I didn't want Klopp to be a yes man cos of his reputation but he is exactly that just like Rodgers was. Another year without CL football could be and will be disastrous for us.

    So fellow reds are we happy with where the club is right now?
    I was initially happy with what FSG were doing , they've steadied the ship, which i am grateful for.

    Now i think they've got to go back us in the market we've not done it for years , get the the targets listed out and go full out for them and if that's not good enough then fine but we must at least try our very best to make sure we are getting our top targets none of this settling for another player because we dont want to pay an extra 10k a week for him
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    14,365
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    the lack of ambition the club is showing is killing me inside.
    I think our being in profit in the summer and no money spent in the winter is all down to Klopp. I have seen zero evidence that FSG doesn't allow managers to spend money the club makes.
    Klopp would rather hold on the money if the right players aren't available rather than spend it on players he doesn't want.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    22,624
    Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    No divine right to win silverware.
    This!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    TomHighwaysM16 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,889
    Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    I think our being in profit in the summer and no money spent in the winter is all down to Klopp. I have seen zero evidence that FSG doesn't allow managers to spend money the club makes.
    Klopp would rather hold on the money if the right players aren't available rather than spend it on players he doesn't want.
    I'm 100% behind that decision. Players are not like stocks where you buy a player that's 3% better than what you have and sell the older one. What you need is look in comparison to the opponents and their players. If the player mentioned above is still 50% behind the players in top sides, you have wasted your money.

    It's more logical to then save the money and outbid the rivals for the next top player. You will surely pay over the odds, but that money will be the difference between winning and losing. That's why top players have no price.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,982
    Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    I think our being in profit in the summer and no money spent in the winter is all down to Klopp. I have seen zero evidence that FSG doesn't allow managers to spend money the club makes.
    Klopp would rather hold on the money if the right players aren't available rather than spend it on players he doesn't want.
    i don't think there is anything wrong with that mindset tbh but sometimes you have to maybe have stop gaps just to do a job from time to time
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHighwaysM16 View Post
    I'm 100% behind that decision. Players are not like stocks where you buy 1 that's 3% better than what you have and sell the older one. What you need is look in comparison to the opponents and their players. If the player mentioned above is still 50% behind the players in top sides, you have wasted your money.

    It's more logical to then save the money and outbid the rivals for the next top player. You will surely pay over the odds, but that money will be the difference between winning and losing. That's why top players have no price.
    So what now? We wait till this summer and see if Klopp's targets want to come or if their clubs sells and if they don't we go into next season with more or less the same squad?
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16,031
    Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    No divine right to win silverware.
    What does that mean?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,406
    Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    I think our being in profit in the summer and no money spent in the winter is all down to Klopp. I have seen zero evidence that FSG doesn't allow managers to spend money the club makes.
    Klopp would rather hold on the money if the right players aren't available rather than spend it on players he doesn't want.
    Correct...and I support Klopp on this.

    Whether the club could/should do more to obtain Klopp's targets, is another matter.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    Is our success rate under FSG good enough?
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    TomHighwaysM16 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,889
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    So what now? We wait till this summer and see if Klopp's targets want to come or if their clubs sells and if they don't we go into next season with more or less the same squad?
    It pretty much everything depends on Champions League qualification. If we manage to get in CL, we will need to spend less money on top players. But if we don't, I am honestly afraid of what will happen with us. We couldn't attract fat Gotze and Dahaud this summer even with Klopp in charge.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    TomHighwaysM16 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,889
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    Is our success rate under FSG good enough?
    Of course not. But truth be told we did spend enough money, at least on transfers. Don't know about wages though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    22,973
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    Is our success rate under FSG good enough?
    When you consider the competition we're up against it isn't that bad.

    They've got us a top class manager and now we'll see how they back him in the summer.

    It's all about how we kick on from now really.

    It's been a very disappointing 2nd half to the season but if we do manage to secure CL footie then the quality of the player we can attract should be higher, with additional funding to cover it.

    I know many point to Man Utd and Chelsea signing great players with no CL footie, but that's not a fair comparison to use as those 2 clubs are on a completely different level to us now.

    If we do fail in getting top 4 we'll still be able to attract good players, just probably not our 1st choice targets.

    Obviously only my opinion ofcourse
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    Quote Originally Posted by BrummieRed View Post
    When you consider the competition we're up against it isn't that bad.

    They've got us a top class manager and now we'll see how they back him in the summer.

    It's all about how we kick on from now really.

    It's been a very disappointing 2nd half to the season but if we do manage to secure CL footie then the quality of the player we can attract should be higher, with additional funding to cover it.

    I know many point to Man Utd and Chelsea signing great players with no CL footie, but that's not a fair comparison to use as those 2 clubs are on a completely different level to us now.

    If we do fail in getting top 4 we'll still be able to attract good players, just probably not our 1st choice targets.

    Obviously only my opinion ofcourse
    How can you say it isn't that bad?
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,115
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    Is our success rate under FSG good enough?
    Yes.

    They bought a bankrupt club that had just lost a world class manager and sold most of their best players without replacing them.

    Expecting that scenario above to translate into anything meaningful on the pitch at any speed is ridiculous.

    Last season we got to two cup finals and this season we've been in the conversation for Champions League all season. We're getting there.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    TomHighwaysM16 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Yes.

    They bought a bankrupt club that had just lost a world class manager and sold most of their best players without replacing them.

    Expecting that scenario above to translate into anything meaningful on the pitch at any speed is ridiculous.

    Last season we got to two cup finals and this season we've been in the conversation for Champions League all season. We're getting there.
    Bringing in the manager is not success. Success is winning. Manager surely helps, but you can't count on that as being a success.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Yes.

    They bought a bankrupt club that had just lost a world class manager and sold most of their best players without replacing them.

    Expecting that scenario above to translate into anything meaningful on the pitch at any speed is ridiculous.

    Last season we got to two cup finals and this season we've been in the conversation for Champions League all season. We're getting there.
    A bankrupt club? You think no one else would've brought us.
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,406
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    A bankrupt club? You think no one else would've brought us.
    Where were they?

    We'd been for sale for quite a while.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    Where were they?

    We'd been for sale for quite a while.
    I'm sure I read somewhere Mr Broughton blocked another party from entering negotioations leaving FSG to buy the club anyways are we just going to be in debt to them forever now? 8 years flown past when do we judge another 8 years time?
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    I see how our fans have succumbed to accept what the club is today. I wont bother with this thread. Everything is hunky dory.
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16,031
    Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    Correct...and I support Klopp on this.

    Whether the club could/should do more to obtain Klopp's targets, is another matter.
    Klopp seems to have a very short list of players he wants ,to make it shorter they have to be football romantics and not talk about why they should give up money and better teams to come here *cough* Draxler
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,115
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHighwaysM16 View Post
    Bringing in the manager is not success. Success is winning. Manager surely helps, but you can't count on that as being a success.
    What are you talking about? We lost Rafa was what I said. I didn't mention Klopp anywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    A bankrupt club? You think no one else would've brought us.
    There should be a rule that people who can't engage their brain shouldn't be allowed to create new threads. It beggars belief if you were a supporter of LFC during the hicks&gillett era and witnessed the (almost) demise of the club you could write what you say above. Laughable.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,115
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    I see how our fans have succumbed to accept what the club is today. I wont bother with this thread. Everything is hunky dory.
    You started a thread and now you're bored. OK.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    What are you talking about? We lost Rafa was what I said. I didn't mention Klopp anywhere.



    There should be a rule that people who can't engage their brain shouldn't be allowed to create new threads. It beggars belief if you were a supporter of LFC during the hicks&gillett era and witnessed the (almost) demise of the club you could write what you say above. Laughable.
    I was there don't be a idiot. So what we're going to in debt to them forever now? They bailed us out, they've given us a new stand but we've won one trophy and finished once in a CL place. Doesn't that bother you?
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,406
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere Mr Broughton blocked another party from entering negotioations leaving FSG to buy the club anyways are we just going to be in debt to them forever now? 8 years flown past when do we judge another 8 years time?
    A mate of Hicks tried to get involved late on...and we dodged that bullet.

    I don't see the need to judge them...everyone knows they made mistakes and need to improve.

    As a club, we spend far too much time thinking about the past...I'm more interested in what they are going to do in the future, rather than worrying about what's behind us.

    Whilst the slump since November has been frustrating, I feel more positive now than I have done at any time since they took over.

    However, missing out on the top 4 would certainly dent that confidence...
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    You started a thread and now you're bored. OK.
    Why don't you disappear mate? If you don't like what I type don't respond. It's actually very simple.
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,115
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    I was there don't be a idiot. So what we're going to in debt to them forever now? They bailed us out, they've given us a new stand but we've won one trophy and finished once in a CL place. Doesn't that bother you?
    You were there? What, in nappies? You didn't even know who the other bid was from or how serious it was. Calling me an idiot when you start a thread on something you patently don't know anything about or/and understands how's who is the. Idiot here. I don't mind honest and fair debate, but your posting in this thread is dire.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,570
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMelwoodMole View Post
    A bankrupt club? You think no one else would've brought us.
    You seemed to have started a thread for discussion but aren't up for much detailed discussion

    You seriously revising history here? We were screwed a few years back under G&H, about to go under and it was quite well known that there was no queue of bidders for the club, hence the absolute relief and joy when FSG bought the club and G&H were finally ousted and we didn't go over the edge.

    Now a number of years on, it's crunch time with FSG, how seriously will they invest in player recruitment this summer, how much will they support Klopp? That's the key

    This is what I think fans need answered this summer, we have a world class manager with a world class profile, if he's backed then hopefully he can shift us on again next season as he has this season. We've improved no doubt under Klopp to my mind and he's done it with a threadbare squad so the next step is bulking up this team and with real quality.

    I also agree with most, he shouldn't spend funds on just any old player if he can't get his favoured targets, that has been the problem here before and under Rodgers we started to collect up deadwood again, I'm glad that is not being repeated.

    Also, in your post, you refer to the 8 years.....again this is a problem for me, fans judge that way but really for a manager its about isolating his time and work here, so for us yes its frustrating but we're not judging Klopp on 8 years so it would appear part of your frustration is misdirected (your lumping 8 years into the same post as Klopp refusing to spend, then FSG's part, all a bit mixed up frustration with no real point) and I don't think your quite viewing replies properly considering you started this thread
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •