Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Thompson's Tricky Winger Twitter Thread. No Fake Tweets or General Chit Chat

1. #1 Default Peter Thompson's Tricky Winger Twitter Thread. No Fake Tweets or General Chit Chat 
    Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Can you say the thread title 5 times without stopping?

Date of Birth

27 Nov 1942

Birthplace

Carlisle

Nationality

English

Signed for LFC

LFC Debut

24 Aug 1963

LFC Appearances

LFC Goals

International Caps

Peter Thompson was the great schoolboy star of his day – playing at inside forward for England and was pursued by 17 clubs when the time came to leave school. He was a legendary winger at Liverpool who could beat defenders for fun and cause absolute havoc to any defender.

Thompson became a regular First division player at 17 for Preston, making his debut against Arsenal on 30 August 1960. Chairman Nat Buck was one of the many who raved about him. "I've lost the number of clubs who want him, but how could we sell?" Preston even turned down a bid from Juventus. Bill Shankly had been impressed by the speed and trickery of the young winger during a marathon 5th round FA cup tie between Liverpool and Preston in February 1962 which went to a second replay at Old Trafford before the deadlock was finally broken by Thompson. After 122 League games and 20 League goals for Preston and relegation to 2nd Division after only one season for the youngster in the top-flight he moved to Liverpool for £37,000.

Thompson was a brilliant right-footed left winger, who tormented full-backs. He was a great player with skill in abundance. Liverpool was envied by other teams for possessing such a powerful pairing on opposing flanks as of Thompson and Callaghan. Thompson went straight into the first-team and played in all 42 League games in his first season, thus winning a championship medal as Liverpool won the title by 4 points. Peter was an important member of the side which dominated domestic football in the mid-60's, winning another championship medal in 1966 as well being part of the first Liverpool team to win the FA Cup the year before. He came to Alf Ramsey's attention and would surely have won more than just 16 caps had the then England boss not decided to axe traditional wingplay in favour of his own methods and tactics. Who can argue with him after England's World Cup win in 1966? Peter was desperately unlucky at international level, TWICE in 1966 & then again in 1970 being named in the initial World Cup squad of 28 players before losing out both times as one of the "unlucky six".

He continued to torment defenders until the end of the decade but even though he was not yet 30 years old, he no longer had the pace of his younger days even though his skill was never in doubt. Although he started the 1970-71 season in the first-team and played in the opening 16 league matches, he was not a regular starter during the second-half of the season although he did come off the bench to replace Alun Evans in the 1971 FA Cup final against Arsenal and immediately helped to provide Steve Heighway with the opening which put Liverpool ahead. Sadly, that strike in the first minute of extra-time was not enough to win the game.

Knee trouble forced him to consider retirement and when he was languishing in Liverpool reserves Jimmy Armfield at Second Division Bolton persuaded him to go on loan in December 1973. Thompson's form impressed Bolton and he signed for the club a month later for £18,000. He delighted the Bolton fans with his trickery and is considered one of the biggest bargain buys in the club's history. He retired in April 1978 after having played 132 matches for Bolton who were promoted that season to the top-flight.

Other Clubs:
    Preston, Bolton
    Last edited by Jannno; 6-5-17 at 11:19.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Here you go.
    Tricky Winger Twitter Thread Tricky Winger Twitter Thread Tricky Winger Twitter Thread Tricky Winger Twitter Thread Tricky Winger Twitter Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    Here you go.
    Tricky Winger Twitter Thread Tricky Winger Twitter Thread Tricky Winger Twitter Thread Tricky Winger Twitter Thread Tricky Winger Twitter Thread
    Its been a while since we had a really good one.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    Jonathan Johnson‏Verified account @Jon_LeGossip May 4
    L'Equipe say Lucas Moura knows his PSG future is uncertain. Liverpool & Atletico Madrid keen but not certain player wants to leave Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by 77scouser View Post
    What, a good Twitter thread or a tricky winger

Get French Football‏ @GFFN 4m4 minutes ago
    Kylian Mbappé is not interested in Manchester United, notably the way they play football, according to L'Équipe. More follows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    What, a good Twitter thread or a tricky winger
    Both.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    Jonathan Johnson‏Verified account @Jon_LeGossip May 4
    L'Equipe say Lucas Moura knows his PSG future is uncertain. Liverpool & Atletico Madrid keen but not certain player wants to leave Paris.
    Now we are talking, him even ahead of Costa for me if we had such a great choice.

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 2h2 hours ago
    Alexandre Lacazette to Atletico Madrid transfer two years in the making, according to the Lyon president.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...years-12993753

Sounds like the canny Aulus wants a bidding war for Alexandre Lacazette's signature.

LFC Transfer Room‏ @LFCTransferRoom May 4
    Liverpool, Arsenal, and Newcastle are all interested in signing highly-rated Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney. [Daily Star]

LFC Transfer Room‏ @LFCTransferRoom May 5
    LFC, Spurs & Everton monitoring Demarai Gray situation as Leicester winger weighs up future. Rumoured release clause is £22m. [Daily Mail]

Riyad Mahrez, 26, is likely to leave Leicester in the summer because the Algerian wants to play Champions League football. [Guardian]

LFC Transfer Room‏ @LFCTransferRoom Mar 23
    Liverpool, Juventus & Barcelona have all contacted Riyad Mahrez about a summer move. [Sport]

Bayern Munich right-back Rafinha, is open to a Premier League move, amid reported interest from Arsenal and Liverpool. [FourFourTwo] #LFC

FistofRage is online now First team regular
    Yep - looks like that trend is continuing

Quote Originally Posted by FistofRage View Post
    Yep - looks like that trend is continuing
    Yes, even Larissa started well with links to Lucas but already just 6 minutes later and it's gone to Demarai Gray

Yes, even Larissa started well with links to Lucas but already just 6 minutes later and it's gone to Demarai Gray
    Ask nicely and I'll dig up a link to Douglas Costa.

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    Liverpool, Arsenal, and Newcastle are all interested in signing highly-rated Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney. [Daily Star]

LFC, Spurs & Everton monitoring Demarai Gray situation as Leicester winger weighs up future. Rumoured release clause is £22m. [Daily Mail]

Riyad Mahrez, 26, is likely to leave Leicester in the summer because the Algerian wants to play Champions League football. [Guardian]

Liverpool, Juventus & Barcelona have all contacted Riyad Mahrez about a summer move. [Sport]

Bayern Munich right-back Rafinha, is open to a Premier League move, amid reported interest from Arsenal and Liverpool. [FourFourTwo] #LFC
    I'm very keen on Tierney, I think he is going to be top draw. Can play RB too.

Gray looks decent, more of a back up player at this moment.

Mahrez, great player, not really sure how he would fit in/where he would play if none of our attacking players leave.

Rafinha another good player, better going forward then defending but seems solid in La Liga, might find it harder over here though.

If I had one pick from the above it would be Tierney.

Quote Originally Posted by KoppityKloppity View Post
    I'm very keen on Tierney, I think he is going to be top draw. Can play RB too.

Gray looks decent, more of a back up player at this moment.

Mahrez, great player, not really sure how he would fit in/where he would play if none of our attacking players leave.

Rafinha another good player, better going forward then defending but seems solid in La Liga, might find it harder over here though.

If I had one pick from the above it would be Tierney.
    Its Rafinha from Bayern Munich - so the Brazilian right-back.

Ask nicely and I'll dig up a link to Douglas Costa.
    While you are at it get one's for Manolas, Paredes, Hernandez, Keita, Lucas and Dolberg and I will be so happy

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    Its Rafinha from Bayern Munich - so the Brazilian right-back.
    Missed the Bayern bit .

Really like Mahrez but can't see him at LFC.

Kylian Mbappé is not interested in Manchester United, notably the way they play football, according to L'Équipe. More follows.

Formerly known as OrientalRed.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider

I'd take Mahrez.

Haha, crap club!

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    I'd take Mahrez.
    Me too.

I cannot see him moving abroad. I think he will probably aim to join a top 4 club this summer. I think he would really fit in at Arsenal.

Me too.

I cannot see him moving abroad. I think he will probably aim to join a top 4 club this summer.
    I can. If Barça come calling he's as good as gone.

I can. If Barça come calling he's as good as gone.
    I think the Barca link was more last summer - and even then the link was weak.

I don't think they will be back for him at the end of this season. Just cannot see it.

I think the Barca link was more last summer - and even then the link was weak.

I don't think they will be back for him at the end of this season. Just cannot see it.
    I see what you mean, though a team like Atlético etc would probably find him quite useful. Madrid would probably want him for the bench. But in any case there are a lot of big clubs where I could see him fitting in and I think if any of them are interested he'll go. I wouldn't be displeased seeing him in our shirt in any case.

I see what you mean, though a team like Atlético etc would probably find him quite useful. Madrid would probably want him for the bench. But in any case there are a lot of big clubs where I could see him fitting in and I think if any of them are interested he'll go. I wouldn't be displeased seeing him in our shirt in any case.
    Do you think big clubs outside of England would be interested in him?

I honestly cannot see it. Even when Leicester City won the PL, I couldn't recall any team making an offer for his services.

If he was to move it would perhaps be to Arsenal or even Chelsea if they were to lose Willian or Hazard. Perhaps PSG at a push.

Do you think big clubs outside of England would be interested in him?

I honestly cannot see it. Even when Leicester City won the PL, I couldn't recall any team making an offer for his services.

If he was to move it would perhaps be to Arsenal or even Chelsea if they were to lose Willian or Hazard. Perhaps PSG at a push.
    Yes, actually. His performances for the Champions won't have passed anyone by. I'm not sure I could see Barça wanting him but teams like Atlético, Dortmund, Monaco, etc I don't see why not.

Yes, actually. His performances for the Champions won't have passed anyone by. I'm not sure I could see Barça wanting him but teams like Atlético, Dortmund, Monaco, etc I don't see why not.
    You could be right. I guess CL exposure may have spread the seed.

Two words - Anthony Martial.

His progress at United has not been anywhere near what you would expect .. and Mbappe is yet another young French attacking prodigy who would no doubt look at the Martial situation and think 'Not for me.' Who can blame him?

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Quote Originally Posted by grenny158 View Post
    Two words - Anthony Martial.

His progress at United has not been anywhere near what you would expect .. and Mbappe is yet another young French attacking prodigy who would no doubt look at the Martial situation and think 'Not for me.' Who can blame him?
    100%

Imo Martial was even better, and he's arguably worse now than when he joined.

I suppose we're not exactly great with our young players, but Utd have been terrible at developing them.