Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 149

Thread: A decade at LFC - 21 facts about Lucas Leiva's Reds career

  1. #31  
    Luis-Garcia's-left-peg is online now Directors Box
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,781
    I was one of the slaters in the early years but I love the guy now.

    There's a documentary on his 10 years on LFCtv on 16th at 20:00, worth a watch.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    398
    He will have some good tales to tell, hopefully he writes an autobiography.

    I wonder who is favourite manager to play under was during his time here?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,213
    I think Lucas has been nothing but average, with the exception of that 4 game run (before his first big injury) where I thought he was exceptional, truly exceptional.
    Post injury he returned to being the average Lucas he was before.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20,857
    Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    I think Lucas has been nothing but average, with the exception of that 4 game run (before his first big injury) where I thought he was exceptional, truly exceptional.
    Post injury he returned to being the average Lucas he was before.
    And yet every manager he has worked under, has fitted him into their team when fit.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,874
    Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    And yet every manager he has worked under, has fitted him into their team when fit.
    he's a player than can do a job. sometimes very well sometimes he's extremely frustrating but i think he's been a good servant.
    Eagle Face Moron
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    I think Lucas has been nothing but average, with the exception of that 4 game run (before his first big injury) where I thought he was exceptional, truly exceptional.
    Post injury he returned to being the average Lucas he was before.
    Bull-**** mate four games?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,849
    Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    And yet every manager he has worked under, has fitted him into their team when fit.
    Hardly a shining endorsement though as we've been generally abysmal in the last 10 years, and won one carling cup.

    He's a nice guy, average player who played in the not so glory years at Liverpool. If we're sitting here in 8 yrs giving the likes of Milner and Lovren testamonials, it'll be another indictement.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44,015
    Considering he was booed at Anfield earlier in his career (something I still find difficult), it's amazing he's still here. I think he's matured as a player in recent seasons, and put in some fine performances that have perhaps gone unpraised. He's been a good squad player to have around, and has been very loyal. I wouldn't mind him staying on, as a squad player, but we need to be looking to the future and overhauling this team now, otherwise, I'd be happy for him to continue with LFC in a coaching capacity.

    Anyway, I like Lucas, and congratulate him on a decade of loyal service to our club.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    FistofRage is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    30,164
    Quote Originally Posted by AboveUsOnlySky View Post
    Adding to that BF, Toure was steamrolling opponents at that stage. Until Lucas bottled him up.

    Regardless of what anyone says, the lad has worn our emblem with distinction, honour and above all, in the face of criticism and belittlement, truck loads of resilience.

    Ask what others think about lacing up with the Brazilian and it's quite unanimous - top pro who gives his all.

    Fair play to him.
    100% agree.

    I always liked Lucas
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Red-And-Proud is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    36,132
    I remember he did an interview/chat with Jan Molby, was a great watch, both nice blokes
    Klopps beard twin
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    432
    Another fact is that Lucas is the only current Liverpool player who appears to have received cult status by many and is shielded from criticism by these knights. Therefore any opposing opinions are rubbished. That is injust as any over the top criticism of him.
    Reading this Thread, his biggest compliment is that he is a 'nice lad'. Not many of his deciples describe his talent as a footballer bar citing the odd game years ago. The truth is just that - Lucas is not and was not a very good footballer. From time to time he put in some good performances (for me vrs Chelsea under Hodgson was his best) and recently he has had some good games again. But his nice lad status (which I agree with) seems to count for much with many. If he was a smokin' drinkin' ridin' c*unt like Rooney, he wouldn't have the same endearment. But in football terms that counts for nothing.
    Just read again 'the 21 facts' - Nothing to go WHOW! In all of those. The fact that he played 50 games in a season is his most remarkable in a most unremarkable career.
    A nice lad and I wish him well in life but he is simply not good enough. Never was actually imo.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    50,750
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    Another fact is that Lucas is the only current Liverpool player who appears to have received cult status by many and is shielded from criticism by these knights. Therefore any opposing opinions are rubbished. That is injust as any over the top criticism of him.
    Reading this Thread, his biggest compliment is that he is a 'nice lad'. Not many of his deciples describe his talent as a footballer bar citing the odd game years ago. The truth is just that - Lucas is not and was not a very good footballer. From time to time he put in some good performances (for me vrs Chelsea under Hodgson was his best) and recently he has had some good games again. But his nice lad status (which I agree with) seems to count for much with many. If he was a smokin' drinkin' ridin' c*unt like Rooney, he wouldn't have the same endearment. But in football terms that counts for nothing.
    Just read again 'the 21 facts' - Nothing to go WHOW! In all of those. The fact that he played 50 games in a season is his most remarkable in a most unremarkable career.
    A nice lad and I wish him well in life but he is simply not good enough. Never was actually imo.
    He's not in the side because he's a nice fella though, is he? He's picked on merit and talent because he performed under five different managers.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    Luis-Garcia's-left-peg is online now Directors Box
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,781
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    He's not in the side because he's a nice fella though, is he? He's picked on merit and talent because he performed under five different managers.
    One could argue this is due to our failings in the transfer market
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    50,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis-Garcia's-left-peg View Post
    One could argue this is due to our failings in the transfer market
    So he's been picked under five difference managers, for the last ten years, because we've made poor signings?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukadamainman View Post
    Bull-**** mate four games?
    The run was possibly longer. I'm talking Lucas performing at the next level. Sure, since Lucas has had some 'good' games but nothing like he put together in that run. I remember in the City away game, City couldn't get out of their own half and then the Chelsea away game. It's a pity we were robbed of 'that' Lucas.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    41,528
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    Lucas is not and was not a very good footballer
    Yeah never been a very good footballer. Won 24 caps for Brazil, played here for a decade and kept on by five different managers. Won our player on the season award during his time here voted by fans.

    You are right. The Brazil managers, Liverpool managers and Liverpool fans are all wrong, he has never been a good footballer at all. You even posted it twice, like to convince yourself more and to think the more you post it the more true it is.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    267
    Joined LFC during a period when it was fashionable for LFC players to sport shocking haircuts. Lucas, Kuyt, Kyriakos and Voronin spring to mind.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    Luis-Garcia's-left-peg is online now Directors Box
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,781
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    So he's been picked under five difference managers, for the last ten years, because we've made poor signings?
    Precisely. And our average league position over last 10 years reflects that
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    50,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis-Garcia's-left-peg View Post
    Precisely. And our average league position over last 10 years reflects that
    Dont be silly. Any and every one of those managers could have bombed him out at any point during this time.

    He played on merit.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Luis-Garcia's-left-peg is online now Directors Box
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,781
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Dont be silly. Any and every one of those managers could have bombed him out at any point during this time.

    He played on merit.
    Yes he played on merit, fair play to him.

    He wouldnt be in any of those managers strongest XI though except maybe Hodgson, which in itself tells its own story
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    Yeah never been a very good footballer. Won 24 caps for Brazil, played here for a decade and kept on by five different managers. Won our player on the season award during his time here voted by fans.

    You are right. The Brazil managers, Liverpool managers and Liverpool fans are all wrong, he has never been a good footballer at all. You even posted it twice, like to convince yourself more and to think the more you post it the more true it is.
    The double post was actually an error, these things happen.
    Your point about the 5 managers keeping Lucas on can work both ways. On that theme, one could then presume that Geoff Horsfield was a great player because Clubs kept buying him for their team!
    Do you really think had anyone shown real interest in him and offered money for him that he would still be here? We'll never know that because no one came looking for him, such was his pedigree in world football. Thats not to discredit the lad.
    We have overseen the great exodus of almost all our very good players over the past number of years as other Clubs - Lucas was on no one list.
    24 caps for Brazil is an achievement for him. Credit to him. During the same time Fred has won 39 caps. Fred is a poor footballer and for him to get 39 caps show how poor Brazil have been in recent years. I really dont care about Brazil to be honest but if Liverpool are to be a force again there should be no place for a player (as game as he is) for such a limited player as Lucas.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    41,528
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    On that theme, one could then presume that Geoff Horsfield was a great player because Clubs kept buying him for their team
    Yeah you are right, clubs of the stature of Liverpool kept buying him. One armed bob has played in goal for three different park teams. Geoff Horsfield could work both way. On that theme one could then presume that he wasn't that great a player, because clubs kept letting him go.


    Even the most anti of Lucas people will say you using that example is a poor effort.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,923
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    The double post was actually an error, these things happen.
    Your point about the 5 managers keeping Lucas on can work both ways. On that theme, one could then presume that Geoff Horsfield was a great player because Clubs kept buying him for their team!
    Do you really think had anyone shown real interest in him and offered money for him that he would still be here? We'll never know that because no one came looking for him, such was his pedigree in world football. Thats not to discredit the lad.
    We have overseen the great exodus of almost all our very good players over the past number of years as other Clubs - Lucas was on no one list.
    24 caps for Brazil is an achievement for him. Credit to him. During the same time Fred has won 39 caps. Fred is a poor footballer and for him to get 39 caps show how poor Brazil have been in recent years. I really dont care about Brazil to be honest but if Liverpool are to be a force again there should be no place for a player (as game as he is) for such a limited player as Lucas.
    330+ goals in 560 odd games, plus another 18 international goals in 39 games. Really poor that.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    Yeah you are right, clubs of the stature of Liverpool kept buying him. One armed bob has played in goal for three different park teams. Geoff Horsfield could work both way. On that theme one could then presume that he wasn't that great a player, because clubs kept letting him go.


    Even the most anti of Lucas people will say you using that example is a poor effort.
    You keep telling me that I am right! I presume you are trying to be sarcastic!? By reiterating the Geoff Horsfield theme you are accepting my point yet I feel that your responses are tinges with scorn for one who dares to disagree with your pro-Lucas opinion. I'm stating the obvious but these Forums are for debate, so debate!
    Finally, I am not anti-Lucas as he is a Liverpool player and I support him as much as anyone when he wears Red. I just dont that that he is good enough to be wearing it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    41,528
    So what you are saying is you are allowed an opinion but no one else is.

    You can disagree with people as forums are for debate, but people can't disagree with you and or scorn you when you "state the obvious" by using an example of a journeyman who was never signed by a club in the top tier, despite as you say clubs kept buying him for their team.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    The run was possibly longer. I'm talking Lucas performing at the next level. Sure, since Lucas has had some 'good' games but nothing like he put together in that run. I remember in the City away game, City couldn't get out of their own half and then the Chelsea away game. It's a pity we were robbed of 'that' Lucas.
    I know what you mean he had that spell where he was looking immense under Kenny.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    51,636
    He's been decent this season and can be proud if it's his last but this says more about the club and how they've let an average player stick around for ten years, reaping no benefits from it.

    Can't blame him as he's a nice lad but he epitomises the mediocrity that we've slipped into.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #58  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    So what you are saying is you are allowed an opinion but no one else is.

    You can disagree with people as forums are for debate, but people can't disagree with you and or scorn you when you "state the obvious" by using an example of a journeyman who was never signed by a club in the top tier, despite as you say clubs kept buying him for their team.
    No Euro, I'm saying none of that and I think you know that too. The only point I made in my last post was to advocate for a debate. Simple as.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #59  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    5,839
    Watched the video last night on LFCTV. Really good watch. He comes across as a very nice man and his wife does too.

    What is sad how he talks about the negativity of supporters in his early years. Interestingly Hodgson doesn't get a mention. All the other managers get spoken about.

    Definately worth a watch.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #60  
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    29,883
    He is a top man, is our Lucas, have all the time in the world for him .. the model professional. Obviously, we all wish he could have been blessed with typical Brazilian flair and skill but that just wasn't to be .. having said that, a more devoted, loyal and unassuming employee of the club would be hard to find.

    Hope the club gives him testimonial, he certainly deserves one, imo.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •