Notices
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Day Match Thread - Middlesbrough (h) - Sun 21st May 15:00

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by KMacDW View Post
    You'd think so.

Liverpool v Boro, Arsenal v Everton and potentially Watford v Man City are the only games worth anything on the final day. Everything else is decided.
    Haven't seen it advertised on SKY. BT not showing owt?
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

There will be literally nothing to play for if Sunderland beat Arsenal in midweek (unlikely I know). We know who's relegated, who's won the league etc. it's really only extra prize money to play for.

Last five v Middlesbrough
    Liverpool 2-2 (14-13 on pens) Middlesbrough (League Cup 3R, 14/15)
    Liverpool 2-1 Middlesbrough (PL, 08/09)
    Liverpool 3-2 Middlesbrough (PL, 07/08)
    Liverpool 2-0 Middlesbrough (PL, 06/07)
    Liverpool 2-0 Middlesbrough (PL, 05/06)

Last five final day results
    West Brom 1-1 Liverpool (2015/16)
    Stoke 6-1 Liverpool (2014/15)
    Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle (2013/14)
    Liverpool 1-0 QPR (2012/13)
    Swansea 1-0 Liverpool (2011/12)

Would like to see us use the same formation and players except Firmino for Origi.

TheDarknessIsCalling is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Incorrect. It's Muddlesbrough.
    Incorrect. It's spelled "n-o-b-o-d-y c-a-r-e-s h-o-w i-t-s s-p-e-l-l-e-d"

It was as pointless an observation as putting the word "county" in front of Durham............. Still it's not as easy a target as those Notts Forest fans get out of their prams and explain why it isn't "Notts"............. (don't do it because I care, but because they care far too much)
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac78 View Post
    Origi is reminiscent of David N'Gog. I'd rather have Luis Garcia over David N'Gog as a second striker.
    Bit harsh on big div

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Migs
    Clyne Matip Lovren Milner
    Can
    Wij Coutinho
    Lallana
    Sturridge Firimno

Karius, Moreno, TAA, Lucas, Grujic, Woodburn, Origi

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    There will be literally nothing to play for if Sunderland beat Arsenal in midweek (unlikely I know). We know who's relegated, who's won the league etc. it's really only extra prize money to play for.

Last five v Middlesbrough
    Liverpool 2-2 (14-13 on pens) Middlesbrough (League Cup 3R, 14/15)
    Liverpool 2-1 Middlesbrough (PL, 08/09)
    Liverpool 3-2 Middlesbrough (PL, 07/08)
    Liverpool 2-0 Middlesbrough (PL, 06/07)
    Liverpool 2-0 Middlesbrough (PL, 05/06)

Last five final day results
    West Brom 1-1 Liverpool (2015/16)
    Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle (2013/14)
    Liverpool 1-0 QPR (2012/13)
    Swansea 1-0 Liverpool (2011/12)
    3rd place?

Our home form has dipped...But i think in this scenario better a home fixture than away.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Migs
    Clyne Matip Lovren Milner
    Can
    Wij Coutinho
    Lallana
    Sturridge Firimno

Karius, Moreno, TAA, Lucas, Grujic, Woodburn, Origi
    Thats the side that should start .

Sunderland are not beating anybody.West brom have better chance of beating man City.I think that is a better result anyway.Not that i think It's plausible .

Quote Originally Posted by D.Sturridge1999 View Post
    Bit harsh on big div
    You called him a big div!

I know, I've been thinking about it and he did better than I gave him credit for yesterday. Got a goal and had a couple of decent efforts but he just doesn't seem to be switched on all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Incorrect. It's spelled "n-o-b-o-d-y c-a-r-e-s h-o-w i-t-s s-p-e-l-l-e-d"

It was as pointless an observation as putting the word "county" in front of Durham............. Still it's not as easy a target as those Notts Forest fans get out of their prams and explain why it isn't "Notts"............. (don't do it because I care, but because they care far too much)
    This is very tempting but I'll refrain from arguing semantics on a football forum.

Osman made a good point last night on Motd - Sturridge is a different player when he's part of a two, as it means he can drift wide when he wants to find space and know that his partner is occupying the CB's. Origi looked better with him alongside too - coupled with Phils ability from slightly deeper I think we'll see more of this shape next season in certain games.

I expect to see the same on Sunday as no doubt Boro will park the bus even tho the ****ers have ***** all to play for.
    everything in moderation, including moderation.

This result still irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Same team again and same result.
    Yep. Let us not shake things up by starting Firmino. I am keeping my fingers crossed on Sturridge being fit and raging to go for this final game We can unleash Firmino in the 60th or 70th minute mark to cause some havoc in opponents defense

SouthernRob is online now Academy prospect
    Middlesbrough have conceded 11 goals in the last 3 away games - it's going to be easy isn't it?

Job still half done ... Spoken to several fellow supporters who seem to be too relaxed about this and talk like we're already there ... very dangerous.

Arsenal will win their last two, so we HAVE to win ... and at home we just don't have intensity lately.

Never has a quick goal or two been more important.

Daymo68 is offline One Post At A Time
    It would be very Liverpool like to fall at the last hurdle with the prize almost in our hands. However for the first time in a while I'm feeling a little more confident.

Relegated Middlesbrough come to Anfield with everyone expecting a comfortable win.

I'm guessing they will come and put 10 men behind the ball.

Same team please and unless there is any individual error/errors I expect Liverpool to win....and that's all we need.

An early goal would be great and I will be singing my heart out in the Kop and hoping my fellow supporters make Middlesbrough feel a special Anfield Atmosphere.

Prediction - 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    Job still half done ... Spoken to several fellow supporters who seem to be too relaxed about this and talk like we're already there ... very dangerous.

Arsenal will win their last two, so we HAVE to win ... and at home we just don't have intensity lately.

Never has a quick goal or two been more important.
    It doesn't matter one bit if supporters are too relaxed, it only matters if the team seem too relaxed - and we have absolutely no idea how relaxed they are about the game - if anything, I would suggest based on previous crucial games under Klopp, the team will be nervous wrecks!

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedByAgger View Post
    3rd place?
    That's what I mean, for most clubs it's just a case of finishing slightly higher up and getting extra prize money. 8th - 14th is separated by 4-5 points so it's an opportunity for teams to finish unexpectedly higher up (or lower down).

Quote Originally Posted by Daymo68 View Post
    It would be very Liverpool like to fall at the last hurdle with the prize almost in our hands. However for the first time in a while I'm feeling a little more confident.

Relegated Middlesbrough come to Anfield with everyone expecting a comfortable win.

I'm guessing they will come and put 10 men behind the ball.

Same team please and unless there is any individual error/errors I expect Liverpool to win....and that's all we need.

An early goal would be great and I will be singing my heart out in the Kop and hoping my fellow supporters make Middlesbrough feel a special Anfield Atmosphere.

Prediction - 2-0.
    Why would Boro put 10 men behind the ball?

They've been a defensive side this season....and it went ok for a spell with Valdez between the sticks. However ultimately they've failed. Tried to sit back against Chelsea and their keeper got nuttsed 3 times.

Boro are going to try and attack us; they will want to thrill the fans in their last EPL outing for a while. They have Negredo and two exciting young wingers in Traore and Fisher. About time they let them have a go.

Better for Boro to play open and lose 4-2 than to try and keep it tight only to lose 1-0; as a 0-0 would mean absolutely nothing to Boro right now, it's not worth a damn.

Daymo68 is offline One Post At A Time
    Quote Originally Posted by KMacDW View Post
    Why would Boro put 10 men behind the ball?

They've been a defensive side this season....and it went ok for a spell with Valdez between the sticks. However ultimately they've failed. Tried to sit back against Chelsea and their keeper got nuttsed 3 times.

Boro are going to try and attack us; they will want to thrill the fans in their last EPL outing for a while. They have Negredo and two exciting young wingers in Traore and Fisher. About time they let them have a go.

Better for Boro to play open and lose 4-2 than to try and keep it tight only to lose 1-0; as a 0-0 would mean absolutely nothing to Boro right now, it's not worth a damn.
    And how often do Middlesbrough attack and score goals.

They are the lowest scoring side in the league and have the best defensive record in the bottom half.

They will park the bus I have no doubt.

Middlesbrough won't change the philosophy but I'd love them to attack as it would open the game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Daymo68 View Post
    And how often do Middlesbrough attack and score goals.

They are the lowest scoring side in the league and have the best defensive record in the bottom half.

They will park the bus I have no doubt.

Middlesbrough won't change the philosophy but I'd love them to attack as it would open the game for us.
    As soon as they were relegated, their philosophy became useless.

Negredo will be leaving; Id imagine Traore too. So I'd expect they will want to put them out on show one last time.

From what I've been told Boro tried to have a go against Southampton last time out.

-------------------Mignolet
    A.Arnold------Matip------Lovren------Milner
    ---------------------Lucas
    -----------Emre Can------Lallana
    --------------------Coutinho
    ---------------Origi------Sturridge

Subs: Manninger, Klavan, Clyne, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Woodburn

Chances are it will be Lucas Leiva's last game so use it as his testimonial, it will also give the 3 other midfielders more licence to push forward. I would also play TAA over Clyne to offer more threat in attack and width. Put Manninger there as a joke really but he mentioned recently how he wanted to break a Premier League record by playing. If the game's won, we could bring him on so that his signing wasn't completely pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling;12544670[B
    ]Incorrect. It's spelled "n-o-b-o-d-y c-a-r-e-s h-o-w i-t-s s-p-e-l-l-e-d"[/B]

Also, spelled can be spelled spelt. But one can't be expelled for misspelling.

I'll be back after a spell elsewhere.

First 15-20 minutes very crucial. If we don't score by then, mountain will be much steeper to climb. Our defense?? Good organization is a must to avoid any school boy mistakes that have seen so many times this season. Go on boys finish this job and make us happy and proud. !!!!!

That's what I mean, for most clubs it's just a case of finishing slightly higher up and getting extra prize money. 8th - 14th is separated by 4-5 points so it's an opportunity for teams to finish unexpectedly higher up (or lower down).
    If WBA can do us a favour and take some points of ManC it could be massive for us.

Forget the prize money, the difference between a 3rd place finish and a 4th is massive.

3rd place, and you go straight into the CL Group stage.

4th place, and you have the CL Playoff stage, and then it's all about luck in terms of who you get.
    For next season other teams likely to be in the CL Playoff will be:

Serie A: Napoli or Roma
    Bundesliga: Dortmund or Hoffenheim
    Ligue 1: Nice
    La Liga: Sevilla

A 4th place finish only gives us an opportunity to play in the CL, whereas a 3rd place finish guarantees it

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    This result still irks me.
    Me too mate

Early goal is absolutely vital. We get that early goal and we'll obliterate them. It's Liverpool though so we'll obviously do it the hard way

Quote Originally Posted by Thebeastyboy View Post
    Early goal is absolutely vital. We get that early goal and we'll obliterate them. It's Liverpool though so we'll obviously do it the hard way
    Arsenal winning comfortably, City winning comfortably, Liverpool 1:0 up, Lucas gives away a foul 20 yards out in the 89th minute???