Notices
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Day Match Thread - Middlesbrough (h) - Sun 21st May 15:00

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRob View Post
    Arsenal winning comfortably, City winning comfortably, Liverpool 1:0 up, Lucas gives away a foul 20 yards out in the 89th minute???
    No mate please, just don't talk like that
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

An early goal will really help our cause.

It has to be the same team. You don't change anything after a 4-0 away win performance.
    I know Firmino is a much better option to have, but Origi did well to occupy defenders which allowed Daniel to pop everywhere and make those tasty runs in behind. It would be a gamble to play Bobby and hope that he "clicks" with Sturridge instantly, but he'd be a tremendous option to have on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemer View Post
    It has to be the same team. You don't change anything after a 4-0 away win performance.
    I know Firmino is a much better option to have, but Origi did well to occupy defenders which allowed Daniel to pop everywhere and make those tasty runs in behind. It would be a gamble to play Bobby and hope that he "clicks" with Sturridge instantly, but he'd be a tremendous option to have on the bench.
    I'd bring Firmino back into the team, and at the expense of Origi, rather than Danny

Arsenal winning comfortably, City winning comfortably, Liverpool 1:0 up, Lucas gives away a foul 20 yards out in the 89th minute???
    ....and then ..... what happens? No pls ..I have enough problems with my blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    I'd bring Firmino back into the team, and at the expense of Origi, rather than Danny
    Like said, at any point of the season that would be the strongest attacking duo we have available (ofc, Mane excluded). I'm just unsure if the timing is right to try Firmino and Danny at the same time, considering they haven't played together too often and I don't expect Bobby to be fully fit. I'd stick with the same lineup and if something happens, Firmino is the best option to bring on - either for Divock or Daniel. But I can totally understand your opinion too.

Like said, at any point of the season that would be the strongest attacking duo we have available (ofc, Mane excluded). I'm just unsure if the timing is right to try Firmino and Danny at the same time, considering they haven't played together too often and I don't expect Bobby to be fully fit. I'd stick with the same lineup and if something happens, Firmino is the best option to bring on - either for Divock or Daniel. But I can totally understand your opinion too.
    If Firmino wasn't fully fit then I'd agree.

I'm the biggest critic of Origi you will find ...

But I would NOT change the team ...

He's a big lump who attracts defenders and gives Danny more room to work magic. He can also pop up with a goal when there is support around him.

As a focal point he's utterly useless, but in a game like this I think he will play a part as he did against West ham.

It doesn't matter one bit if supporters are too relaxed, it only matters if the team seem too relaxed - and we have absolutely no idea how relaxed they are about the game - if anything, I would suggest based on previous crucial games under Klopp, the team will be nervous wrecks!
    It really does ...

Will make ALL the difference if for once Anfield was intense and vocal ... DRIVE the team forward.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Sensation View Post
    -------------------Mignolet
    A.Arnold------Matip------Lovren------Milner
    ---------------------Lucas
    -----------Emre Can------Lallana
    --------------------Coutinho
    ---------------Origi------Sturridge

Subs: Manninger, Klavan, Clyne, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Woodburn

Chances are it will be Lucas Leiva's last game so use it as his testimonial, it will also give the 3 other midfielders more licence to push forward. I would also play TAA over Clyne to offer more threat in attack and width. Put Manninger there as a joke really but he mentioned recently how he wanted to break a Premier League record by playing. If the game's won, we could bring him on so that his signing wasn't completely pointless.
    ****. NO.

We need to win. Play like this is a final. not some sentiment crap. Would do Lucas a disservice.

SouthernRob is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    It really does ...

Will make ALL the difference if for once Anfield was intense and vocal ... DRIVE the team forward.
    There is a big difference to driving the team forward and being completely on edge - we have seen that all too often this season and it transfers to the team

The supporters and team are at their best when confident and raring to go

One tends to feed the other. Start the game at tempo, get the crowd firing

[QUOTE=L4Sensation;12545749]-------------------Mignolet
    A.Arnold------Matip------Lovren------Milner
    ---------------------Lucas
    -----------Emre Can------Lallana
    --------------------Coutinho
    ---------------Origi------Sturridge

Subs: Manninger, Klavan, Clyne, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Woodburn

Chances are it will be Lucas Leiva's last game so use it as his testimonial, it will also give the 3 other midfielders more licence to push forward. I would also play TAA over Clyne to offer more threat in attack and width. Put Manninger there as a joke really but he mentioned recently how he wanted to break a Premier League record by playing. If the game's won, we could bring him on so that his signing wasn't completely pointless.[/QUOTE

Fgs man nooooooooooo this is a must win match not a testimonial kickabout for Lucas ....same team as Sunday until the 90th minute ......Lucas can say his goodbyes after the game

Please Rob dont even joke about that

I'd stick with the same eleven, but would be happy to see Firmino come in for Origi. Lets end the season on a high.

Klopp should pick the same team and go with the diamond again.

If we are 3-0 up and comfortable we should bring Firmino on around the 60th minute mark, so Sturridge gets a standing ovation, because he is clearly leaving.

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekback View Post
    Klopp should pick the same team and go with the diamond again.

If we are 3-0 up and comfortable we should bring Firmino on around the 60th minute mark, so Sturridge gets a standing ovation, because he is clearly leaving.
    How is that clear?

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    How is that clear?
    I am just looking the situation logically, he doesn't stay injury free enough, he isn't the type of forward that suits Klopp system, his pace has gone.

If we are going to make money off him its this summer, you honestly think Klopp is going to have another season of Sturridge breaking down injured again?

This summer I would say he is worth 20 million, another season I don't see that fee personally.

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    I wouldn't bring him back into the team. Origi and Sturridge were excellent together against West Ham and we ended up scoring 4 goals away from home against a team that hadn't conceded in 3 games. The forward line up should remain unchanged. Origi's pace and strength and Sturridge' movement is a very good combination. If we bring Firmino back into the team at the expense of Origi we lose all the pace we have which isn't ideal against a side that is likely to park the bus for 90 minutes.

Yep we should go with same team and bring on Bobby sometime in second half. Hoping that we can get 2 goals by 2nd half giving us some leeway to make changes to give players on the bench have some time on the final game.

Live on Sky Sports.

Gonna be interesting to see what the Bitters can do Sunday ...

Normally I'd say Arsenal have a tough match on their hands, but I'm assuming we won't see much 'effort' coming from the blue *****?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanBro View Post
    Live on Sky Sports.
    Yep its been a great season for the armchair army..... this game will be the 29th time we have been on live tv this season....
    Thats the most by one team in a season.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Yep its been a great season for the armchair army..... this game will be the 29th time we have been on live tv this season....
    Thats the most by one team in a season.....
    That's the wooden spoon of the season.

The Most Televised Team of the 2016/17 Season Award goes to…

Liverpool Football Club!

Another trophy in the cabinet!!!

Oh my God!! In my dream last night the game with Boro we were wining 1-0 and last minute they won a corner and equalized. Hope it is just a dream.
    Christ !! difficult periods we are going though these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyfan View Post
    Oh my God!! In my dream last night the game with Boro we were wining 1-0 and last minute they won a corner and equalized. Hope it is just a dream.
    Christ !! difficult periods we are going though these days.
    It was.

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    Gonna be interesting to see what the Bitters can do Sunday ...

Normally I'd say Arsenal have a tough match on their hands, but I'm assuming we won't see much 'effort' coming from the blue *****?
    You could say on paper that Arsenal have the tougher match, but Middlesbrough did manage a 2-2 draw at home to Man City recently. Klopp is calling for his players to enjoy the game, but they can't take Boro too lightly.

If the players take it very seriously and make sure they play to the best of their abilities, that is our best chance of getting a result.

For me, it will also come down to which players are available. The re-introduction of Sturridge and Lallana appears to have freed up our style of play again - it's been a complete transformation. Those two have also allowed other potential match winners such as Coutinho, Origi and Wijnaldum to come into the game more often.

If everyone is fit, there's no reason why we can't score a few goals again. There should be goals all over the pitch for us really.

Compare our goal difference to Boro's: that's been their problem - they haven't been able to score enough goals. We have and that's why our players deserve to play in the Champions League next season.

It's just one final hurdle, but I don't think they should think it'll be a stroll. If it's hard fought and they win, the victory will be all the more sweet (and well deserved).

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    You could say on paper that Arsenal have the tougher match, but Middlesbrough did manage a 2-2 draw at home to Man City recently. Klopp is calling for his players to enjoy the game, but they can't take Boro too lightly.

If the players take it very seriously and make sure they play to the best of their abilities, that is our best chance of getting a result.

For me, it will also come down to which players are available. The re-introduction of Sturridge and Lallana appears to have freed up our style of play again - it's been a complete transformation. Those two have also allowed other potential match winners such as Coutinho, Origi and Wijnaldum to come into the game more often.

If everyone is fit, there's no reason why we can't score a few goals again. There should be goals all over the pitch for us really.

Compare our goal difference to Boro's: that's been their problem - they haven't been able to score enough goals. We have and that's why our players deserve to play in the Champions League next season.

It's just one final hurdle, but I don't think they should think it'll be a stroll. If it's hard fought and they win, the victory will be all the more sweet (and well deserved).
    That was their performance of the season, lighting doesn't strike twice. Also City defended horribly and Boro had something to fight for then.

Relegated teams are like playdough. They are yours to mold.

If you go in confident they are there for the taking as generally they are given freedom and lack discipline.

However if you go in nervous or on tilt; they can take advantage as they have nothing to lose. Like Newcastle against Spurs last season.

Our players will have taken a lot of confidence from Sunday'; I'm sure they'll walk out there and put a sword through Boro.

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDW View Post
    That was their performance of the season, lighting doesn't strike twice. Also City defended horribly and Boro had something to fight for then.

Relegated teams are like playdough. They are yours to mold.

If you go in confident they are there for the taking as generally they are given freedom and lack discipline.

However if you go in nervous or on tilt; they can take advantage as they have nothing to lose. Like Newcastle against Spurs last season.

Our players will have taken a lot of confidence from Sunday'; I'm sure they'll walk out there and put a sword through Boro.
    Starting at tempo and an early goal would effectively break them i would think - there'll be little spirit to mount a comeback

Biggest fear is it being 0-0 after 60 odd mins because we'll **** the bed in that situation

I find it funny how Arsene mentions the fear of teams not being motivated to play against his rivals, or going on early vacations, when his team benefits from that as well .

However, this factor in football actually disappoints me tbh. We have seen sometimes the FA or UEFA punishes clubs fielding second string teams, but I don't see big difference with this either. Few teams really want to finish their seasons on a high note, a commendable and professional act, but others (majority) have really been too loose, with a perception of feeding the clubs that have something to play for.

Hypothetically speaking - if Everton plays poorly on purpose, aiming for Arsenal to overcome their neighbors for top4 spot, wouldn't that be borderline match fixing?
    I think this one is difficult to prove, yet one could improve it if the Premier League prize money wasn't focused on final league positions, but on points gained. Thus, everyone would want to win as many points as possible to maximize their income.