Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Signed hull left back Andrew Robertson according to the Mirror

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Adam Johnson was in that squad and has medal as well. You want to try and draw anything from that?
    Absolutely. You could draw that having decent quality English wingers and midfielders in your squad to support high quality talent from all over world the first team works. I think the less said about Adam Johnson the better.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Adam Johnson was in that squad and has medal as well. You want to try and draw anything from that?
    You know, a lot of posters are screaming for the squad to be filled out with 'winners'. Moreover, the one position in the team that so many wish to see replaced is LB.

And yet, that is the only position which has not one, but two, 'winners' already at the club and whom so many wish to see the back of.

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    He sounds promising, if true whats is the fee, within the 5 million range?

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    Absolutely. You could draw that having decent quality English wingers and midfielders in your squad to support high quality talent from all over world the first team works. I think the less said about Adam Johnson the better.
    So you're idea is to get English wingers and midfielders who've won medals to play LB for us?

Jur-Gone is online now Previous username 'Klopp-OUT' just for reference
    He makes too many silly mistakes and gives out too many stupid fouls in and around the penalty box

So you're idea is to get English wingers and midfielders who've won medals to play LB for us?
    No. I'm saying you can draw the conclusion (given Milner has a Premier League winners medal) that he is capable of being part of a title winning squad. You mentioned Adam Johnson played for City also and asked what conclusion could be drawn from that? I suggested that it is possible City saw benefit (given they had a multi talented, multi national squad) to have supporting that good English players where possible be it Adam Johnson or James Milner.

These players are adapted to the Premier League who have performed well in the Premier League. It is a strange leap to suggest 'is this your idea' this is how 'coach wants to win the Premier League' by signing English wingers and midfielders who have won the Premier League? That's ridiculous to believe anybody has 'that plan' alone to win a Premier League.

Do I see the sense in having a player like Milner in the squad? Absolutely. He's a good player, works hard, plays multiple positions and is the only member of the squad to win the Premier League. The lad handles pressure very well. He tends to have his best games in big games. I'm just unsure what your point is?

Milner is a good player. He was valued at City, they didn't want him to leave. He made over 200 appearances for City, played 84 times in 2 seasons here. The mere suggestion you can't win a title with players like Milner is absurd given he's already won the Premier League title.

Realising that you then spouted something about Adam Johnson. That season (their first title winning season) Manchester City spent the first half of the season without Tevez. They had a decent squad but Mancini often utilised his squad against weaker sides. Players like Johnson did an excellent job when called upon. City fans liked Johnson.

It isn't hard to see why. Let me hit you with a couple of facts. Adam Johnson started just 34 Premier League games over a couple of years scoring 11 goals. So what's your point? Having a squad winger with a goal ratio of almost 1 in every 3 starts is a bad thing? Clubs should avoid it?

No. I'm saying you can draw the conclusion (given Milner has a Premier League winners medal) that he is capable of being part of a title winning squad. You mentioned Adam Johnson played for City also and asked what conclusion could be drawn from that? I suggested that it is possible City saw benefit (given they had a multi talented, multi national squad) to have supporting that good English players where possible be it Adam Johnson or James Milner.

These players are adapted to the Premier League who have performed well in the Premier League. It is a strange leap to suggest 'is this your idea' this is how 'coach wants to win the Premier League' by signing English wingers and midfielders who have won the Premier League? That's ridiculous to believe anybody has 'that plan' alone to win a Premier League.

Do I see the sense in having a player like Milner in the squad? Absolutely. He's a good player, works hard, plays multiple positions and is the only member of the squad to win the Premier League. The lad handles pressure very well. He tends to have his best games in big games. I'm just unsure what your point is?

Milner is a good player. He was valued at City, they didn't want him to leave. He made over 200 appearances for City, played 84 times in 2 seasons here. The mere suggestion you can't win a title with players like Milner is absurd given he's already won the Premier League title.

Realising that you then spouted something about Adam Johnson. That season (their first title winning season) Manchester City spent the first half of the season without Tevez. They had a decent squad but Mancini often utilised his squad against weaker sides. Players like Johnson did an excellent job when called upon. City fans liked Johnson.

It isn't hard to see why. Let me hit you with a couple of facts. Adam Johnson started just 34 Premier League games over a couple of years scoring 11 goals. So what's your point? Having a squad winger with a goal ratio of almost 1 in every 3 starts is a bad thing? Clubs should avoid it?
    You keep saying Milner is a good player. I want great players. And if we want to win the title, we should not have James Milner play LB for us.

You seem very combative this Monday, so I'm going to leave you to it.

That's how you win leagues!
    Are you sure it is me being combative?

Are you sure it is me being combative?
    Yes.

Yes.
    I would beg to differ. My point is Milner and Johnson were excellent squad players for City. They both made significant contributions to City's title win. Not everybody has to be a superstar in a squad. I'd certainly join you in your hopes we sign world class players but there are places for excellent squad players also.

Quote Originally Posted by Klopp-OUT View Post
    He makes too many silly mistakes and gives out too many stupid fouls in and around the penalty box
    Well of course he does, I mean just look at your user name.

I doubt we'll be spending 40M, 50M etc on anyone and I doubt anyone is even worth that much. So if we have to moneyball our way forward, I'm OK with that. It's more satisfying anyway if we win something with a squad we've had to assemble shrewdly rather than tossing mountains of money around.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    I doubt we'll be spending 40M, 50M etc on anyone and I doubt anyone is even worth that much. So if we have to moneyball our way forward, I'm OK with that. It's more satisfying anyway if we win something with a squad we've had to assemble shrewdly rather than tossing mountains of money around.
    A lot to be said for that.

Depends who Klopp has his eye on.

FSG gave Dalglish 35m to buy Carroll and Rodgers 32m+ to buy Benteke. And look what that bought!

They also were ready to give Rodgers 40m for Sanchez.

As long as we look further than Southampton and Newcastle we might get some players at the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by Home_and_Away View Post
    Depends who Klopp has his eye on.

FSG gave Dalglish 35m to buy Carroll and Rodgers 32m+ to buy Benteke. And look what that bought!

They also were ready to give Rodgers 40m for Sanchez.

As long as we look further than Southampton and Newcastle we might get some players at the right price.
    This is very true.

Who?

A left back from a relegated club? Sick! Can't wait...

I'm normally an optimist, but with names like Ricardo Rodriguez, Jonas Hector and Ryan Bertrand available, I am slightly underwhelmed.

In Klopp we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Can he cross and shoot better than Milner? I bet he can. He has a left foot for starters!

Is he better than Moreno? I bet he is!

Is this a case of any left back will do? No! I think Robertson looks like a good player myself and looks like a Klopp player. Well he looked pretty decent at Dundee.
    My Nan is a better LB than Moreno, and shes 83 and partially blind.

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Oh well.

Reality is we will likely sign 5-6 players this summer. That's what most fans expect anyways, what with the squad being so shallow.

As much as we'd love it LFC can't afford to spend 30-35m on 6 players.

So in all likelihood it'll be 30-35m each on 3 players, and then each 10-20m on another.

So not every signing is going to excite us.

If we sign 6 Andrew Robertson level signings I'll be underwhelmed. But I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Oh well.
    It's a bit like getting something practical for a birthday present, instead of…

I like him and have called for his signing before. Far better than what we currently have.

And this is I believe JK's philosophy. Having said that does anyone know what Klopp's largest amount he's ever paid out on a player?
    loyal since 1960.

The Mirror

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDW View Post
    Reality is we will likely sign 5-6 players this summer. That's what most fans expect anyways, what with the squad being so shallow.

As much as we'd love it LFC can't afford to spend 30-35m on 6 players.

So in all likelihood it'll be 30-35m each on 3 players, and then each 10-20m on another.

So not every signing is going to excite us.

If we sign 6 Andrew Robertson level signings I'll be underwhelmed. But I doubt it.
    Exactly, a few solid players along with a few very good ones, maybe they odd top one.

Robertson is a player with good potential, and Klopp will improve him hopefully into a reliable left back.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Credit to Milner for being a model pro this season in an unfamiliar position - but he's been god awful in recent weeks highlighting it's not a long term solution. I'm fine with FB's being solid reliable and well disciplined so that's what I'm wanting really

I think if true then Milner may well move back into a natural midfield role and take Lucas's role in the squad next season.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by docvern View Post
    I think if true then Milner may well move back into a natural midfield role and take Lucas's role in the squad next season.
    Him being used in any kind of CM role fills me with dread

Quote Originally Posted by Home_and_Away View Post
    Markovic is now LFC's chief scout.
    Maybe he is better at this?
    The voices that speak to me are red...

WirralRiddler is online now These posts brought to you by Dr Dre & Only Fools & Horses appreciation society
    Quote Originally Posted by docvern View Post
    Nah. I think not and i hope not either. If anything he could fill in for one of the attacking wide positions if needed, but defo not in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by WirralRiddler View Post
    Nah. I think not and i hope not either. If anything he could fill in for one of the attacking wide positions if needed, but defo not in the middle.
    I'm sorry, but a player who has played central midfield for the majority of his career is now regarded as a liability in the center of midfield? If/when we replace Milner at left back, he will go back to the middle. If/when we have problems at right back, left back, right wing, left wing, or even maybe striker, James Milner will plug that gap. He is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife. He can do a job anywhere on the pitch. He will get games next season, I assure you. As a midfielder last season, he had some excellent games. Rodgers had him a little too frantic with his pressing but that's his natural position and I'm sure he'll do a decent job in it.