Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 634

Thread: Liverpool Signed hull left back Andrew Robertson according to the Mirror

  1. #61  
    WirralRiddler is online now These posts brought to you by Dr Dre & Only Fools & Horses appreciation society
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,884
    Quote Originally Posted by NDex87 View Post
    I'm sorry, but a player who has played central midfield for the majority of his career is now regarded as a liability in the center of midfield? If/when we replace Milner at left back, he will go back to the middle. If/when we have problems at right back, left back, right wing, left wing, or even maybe striker, James Milner will plug that gap. He is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife. He can do a job anywhere on the pitch. He will get games next season, I assure you. As a midfielder last season, he had some excellent games. Rodgers had him a little too frantic with his pressing but that's his natural position and I'm sure he'll do a decent job in it.
    He hasn't played Centre Mid for the majority of his career, he's always been a wide player. CM doesn't suit him, not for me.

    He could do a job for sure, but its not his natural position. I'd keep him competing for LB.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #62  
    fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    40,237
    Quote Originally Posted by WirralRiddler View Post
    He hasn't played Centre Mid for the majority of his career, he's always been a wide player. CM doesn't suit him, not for me.

    He could do a job for sure, but its not his natural position. I'd keep him competing for LB.
    to be honest i d have milner over clyne at right back
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #63  
    canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    to be honest i d have milner over clyne at right back
    It'd be definitely worth a try.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #64  
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    to be honest i d have milner over clyne at right back
    I have long considered why we haven't experimented with that. Earlier in the season when we were resting and rotating players, why didn't Milner get a run in at right back?

    The only answer I can come up with, is he didn't want to unsettle two positions now if Milner had a great game. If Milner set up two goals and was dangerous all night, he would then hear "don't put in Clyne, play Milner" and he gave in to that, he'd now have in his mind no option at left back, except Alberto Moreno...?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #65  
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,999
    Milner isn't a long term solution for anything LFC.

    Clyne needs to spend this summer practicing his ball control. He's funny to watch, in a sad kind of way.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #66  
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by LChristina View Post
    Milner isn't a long term solution for anything LFC.

    Clyne needs to spend this summer practicing his ball control. He's funny to watch, in a sad kind of way.
    I like the way he bends his arms 90* at his elbows and let's his wrists flop downwards when he plays a pass. It's so awkward!

    Having said that, Clyne was a revelation when he was first signed. I was so happy to see him in the side. Something has changed for the worse, but I'm confident he'll improve offensively and be back to his very best soon enough. Defensively, in my view anyway - he is virtually without fault. Hopefully he can work on the offensive side of his game this summer and come back stronger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #67  
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,999
    If he developed his left foot a bit more, he'd feel better with the ball at his feet.

    I've lost count of how many times I've wanted him to boost up the field by the touch line, only for him to run 5 meters, put his right foot on the ball, look around confusingly and pass it back to his support.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #68  
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by LChristina View Post
    If he developed his left foot a bit more, he'd feel better with the ball at his feet.

    I've lost count of how many times I've wanted him to boost up the field by the touch line, only for him to run 5 meters, put his right foot on the ball, look around confusingly and pass it back to his support.
    Yup.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #69  
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,228
    Quote Originally Posted by NDex87 View Post
    he'd now have in his mind no option at left back, except Alberto Moreno...?
    Which is probably why he hasn't tried it... Clyne, for all his issues going forward, is nowhere near the calamity in waiting that Moreno is as a defender. Potentially strengthening the attack (which is already at the top of the league) while weakening the defense (which is notably NOT at the top of the league) would be insane.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #70  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,675
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    I think the fact he plays for Hull will be a blocker for some fans

    From what I've seen of him one thing he certainly offers his great delivery, he really does put quality balls into the box when he gets forward....and he's a leftie so no cutting back to deliver a ball
    We've been missing that for a decade imo.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #71  
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    25,152
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    I think the fact he plays for Hull will be a blocker for some fans

    From what I've seen of him one thing he certainly offers his great delivery, he really does put quality balls into the box when he gets forward....and he's a leftie so no cutting back to deliver a ball
    Agreed about the reasons why some people don't see the benefit about signing this player. I don't know if the reports are true or not, but if they are true people should look at the attributes of the player and not who he played for or how many goals his team conceded.
    Last edited by grudge; 17-5-17 at 14:13.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #72  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,016
    Quote Originally Posted by NDex87 View Post
    I'm sorry, but a player who has played central midfield for the majority of his career is now regarded as a liability in the center of midfield? If/when we replace Milner at left back, he will go back to the middle. If/when we have problems at right back, left back, right wing, left wing, or even maybe striker, James Milner will plug that gap. He is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife. He can do a job anywhere on the pitch. He will get games next season, I assure you. As a midfielder last season, he had some excellent games. Rodgers had him a little too frantic with his pressing but that's his natural position and I'm sure he'll do a decent job in it.
    He hasn't.

    As a CM? Give some examples.


    It's not. He'd played one season in CM his entire career before we signed him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #73  
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,767
    could be a shrewd move, not because milner is an unintelligent player but robertson is more fluent in using both feet and has more of an eye (for scoring in open play)
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #74  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,937
    Regardless of Milner's role at the club, it's clear that we need to bring in a LB. If it marginalises Milner's role then that's 100% fine by me. If bringing in a LB equates to moving Milner into CM then I'd say we have an issue.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #75  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    34,745
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    could be a shrewd move, not because milner is an unintelligent player but robertson is more fluent in using both feet and has more of an eye (for scoring in open play)
    I know Ron is a big fan of Robertson. When I've seen him he's looked tidy but nothing stood out. He could be excellent if we get him and Ron could have given a good call. We'll have to see if goes through
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #76  
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    He hasn't.

    As a CM? Give some examples.


    It's not. He'd played one season in CM his entire career before we signed him.
    It's where the player wants to play and where his attributes are most useful. Though we haven't seen it at LFC, he has a powerful shot and is a good striker of the ball. He has decent vision and pick a pass, when he's not trying to only put a one-time ball down the left channel, like he's forced to now. He has tremendous energy and running power to be at the heart of the midfield engine. It is his natural position. Even if he doesn't play that position rarely, it's still his natural position. Mascherano is a defensive midfielder, right? But, he plays exclusively as a center half at Barcelona.

    I guess the question would be, if central midfield isn't Milner's natural position, what is it in your view?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #77  
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20,888
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    to be honest i d have milner over clyne at right back
    I'd have the tea lady over Clyne at RB.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #78  
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20,888
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    Regardless of Milner's role at the club, it's clear that we need to bring in a LB. If it marginalises Milner's role then that's 100% fine by me. If bringing in a LB equates to moving Milner into CM then I'd say we have an issue.
    We need to bring in 2 new full backs if truth be told. In fairness to Milner for a lad been played out of position he's still had a better season than Clyne. I'll be disappointed if both positions aren't addressed this summer.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #79  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,937
    Quote Originally Posted by DFK6 View Post
    We need to bring in 2 new full backs if truth be told. In fairness to Milner for a lad been played out of position he's still had a better season than Clyne. I'll be disappointed if both positions aren't addressed this summer.
    That's a pretty fair point. LB should be a priority though. I don't mind Clyne at RB with Milner providing back up for both of the full back positions.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #80  
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by DFK6 View Post
    We need to bring in 2 new full backs if truth be told. In fairness to Milner for a lad been played out of position he's still had a better season than Clyne. I'll be disappointed if both positions aren't addressed this summer.
    Could not disagree more. Nathaniel Clyne, with his deficiencies going forward, has been nearly perfect in defense. I've not seen one game all year where he was exposed, or caught out multiple times. As an attacking full back you will have the odd 'caught upfield' moment, but he's been solid. His pace is a huge asset as well. Milner is not a better RB than Clyne and was not a better full back this season.

    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    That's a pretty fair point. LB should be a priority though. I don't mind Clyne at RB with Milner providing back up for both of the full back positions.
    The pecking order at RB is: Clyne 1, Trent Alexander Arnold 2, Milner 3. Don't forget TAA is the future. Clyne and he will duke it out in the coming years for the starting full back position and Milner can fill in when necessary. Emre Can don't forget played full back for the national team on several occasions as well. RB is not a position of concern, at all. Left back is where we need to make a signing or two. One developmental and one for right now, if Moreno isn't there yet. Remember, Klopp allowed Brad Smith to leave for Bournemouth last summer, at a position where he and Moreno were the only two natural left backs in the whole squad.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #81  
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20,888
    Quote Originally Posted by NDex87 View Post
    Could not disagree more. Nathaniel Clyne, with his deficiencies going forward, has been nearly perfect in defense. I've not seen one game all year where he was exposed, or caught out multiple times. As an attacking full back you will have the odd 'caught upfield' moment, but he's been solid. His pace is a huge asset as well. Milner is not a better RB than Clyne and was not a better full back this season.



    The pecking order at RB is: Clyne 1, Trent Alexander Arnold 2, Milner 3. Don't forget TAA is the future. Clyne and he will duke it out in the coming years for the starting full back position and Milner can fill in when necessary. Emre Can don't forget played full back for the national team on several occasions as well. RB is not a position of concern, at all. Left back is where we need to make a signing or two. One developmental and one for right now, if Moreno isn't there yet. Remember, Klopp allowed Brad Smith to leave for Bournemouth last summer, at a position where he and Moreno were the only two natural left backs in the whole squad.
    Do people really watch Clyne, I'm sick of the lazy argument that Clyne is solid as a rock. He's nowhere near good enough if truth be told. Going forward is part of being a full back and especially how we play and Clyne is awful at it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #82  
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by DFK6 View Post
    Do people really watch Clyne, I'm sick of the lazy argument that Clyne is solid as a rock. He's nowhere near good enough if truth be told. Going forward is part of being a full back and especially how we play and Clyne is awful at it.
    I've watched every match for the past three years. I'm telling you, he's a good defensive right back. He's the second best English right back behind Kyle Walker. If Keiran Trippier can be consistent and maybe move to any other team, he would probably supplant Clyne as the #2.

    It's not lazy, it's observant. Name two English right backs that I haven't, who are better than Clyne. I have bemoaned his crossing in recent months, too. But, he's a very good defender which is the first priority in a full back; see Alberto Moreno.

    We are in agreement that he hasn't been good enough going forward, but are you implying that he's a sub-par defender? If so, please give me examples of him not performing his defensive duties.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #83  
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20,888
    Quote Originally Posted by NDex87 View Post
    I've watched every match for the past three years. I'm telling you, he's a good defensive right back. He's the second best English right back behind Kyle Walker. If Keiran Trippier can be consistent and maybe move to any other team, he would probably supplant Clyne as the #2.

    It's not lazy, it's observant. Name two English right backs that I haven't, who are better than Clyne. I have bemoaned his crossing in recent months, too. But, he's a very good defender which is the first priority in a full back; see Alberto Moreno.

    We are in agreement that he hasn't been good enough going forward, but are you implying that he's a sub-par defender? If so, please give me examples of him not performing his defensive duties.
    Why only English right backs?? Because there's a serious lack of them is it so it helps your lazy argument. Clyne has made alot of defensive mistakes this season which you'd know if you where watching him so closely and going forward well just forget it because that's non existent.

    It's one of the great myths on here that Clyne is a solid player when truth be told he's a serious weakness that needs replacing. It's no coincidence that alot of our support want TAA starting ahead of him, that should tell you all you need to know.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #84  
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by NDex87 View Post
    I've watched every match for the past three years. I'm telling you, he's a good defensive right back. He's the second best English right back behind Kyle Walker. If Keiran Trippier can be consistent and maybe move to any other team, he would probably supplant Clyne as the #2.

    It's not lazy, it's observant. Name two English right backs that I haven't, who are better than Clyne. I have bemoaned his crossing in recent months, too. But, he's a very good defender which is the first priority in a full back; see Alberto Moreno.

    We are in agreement that he hasn't been good enough going forward, but are you implying that he's a sub-par defender? If so, please give me examples of him not performing his defensive duties.
    The only LFC player worse than Clyne at getting blind-sided has got to be Glen Johnson.

    His patterns of behavior is fear-inducing for our own team, he looks scared of having the ball at his feet. Imagine that at this level. He looks afraid and confused. The only current LFC player I know of that looks as scared and clumsy as Clyne with the ball has got to be Simon Mignolet.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #85  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,016
    Quote Originally Posted by NDex87 View Post
    It's where the player wants to play and where his attributes are most useful. Though we haven't seen it at LFC, he has a powerful shot and is a good striker of the ball. He has decent vision and pick a pass, when he's not trying to only put a one-time ball down the left channel, like he's forced to now. He has tremendous energy and running power to be at the heart of the midfield engine. It is his natural position. Even if he doesn't play that position rarely, it's still his natural position. Mascherano is a defensive midfielder, right? But, he plays exclusively as a center half at Barcelona.

    I guess the question would be, if central midfield isn't Milner's natural position, what is it in your view?
    He played in the wide positions most of his career. He had one season in CM at Villa.

    What excellent games did he have in CM last season? I don't care if he wants to play there, he's not good enough to and was found out last season when he did. Thankfully Klopp has sorted that out.

    Your Mascherano example has zero relevance here.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #86  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    705
    Really don't get the criticism of Milner.

    Ask most right footers where they would least like to play and a reckon a large % would say Left Back.

    Not only has he done this for the team but he has been one of if not our most consistent players over the course of the season.

    Not shiny, shiny but I suspect most pros would prefer to play with than against Milner.

    A few more players with Milner's mentality in the team and I doubt we would have dropped so many points and be in need of a result on Sunday to secure CL.


    If anything this season might equip him even more to do a DM job for us or be one of two if we were to switch to 3 at the back once Klopp has the wing backs that he wants.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #87  
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    He played in the wide positions most of his career. He had one season in CM at Villa.

    What excellent games did he have in CM last season? I don't care if he wants to play there, he's not good enough to and was found out last season when he did. Thankfully Klopp has sorted that out.

    Your Mascherano example has zero relevance here.
    How so? Mascherano is a CB by trade, but a natural DM. Milner, as you pointed out is a LB by trade, or a wide player in general, but a natural CM. He won the YPOTY award at Villa playing in the center of midfield. Has he won any awards while playing out wide?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #88  
    lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23,633
    Quote Originally Posted by NDex87 View Post
    How so? Mascherano is a CB by trade, but a natural DM. Milner, as you pointed out is a LB by trade, or a wide player in general, but a natural CM. He won the YPOTY award at Villa playing in the center of midfield. Has he won any awards while playing out wide?
    Just the PL medal.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #89  
    fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    40,237
    Quote Originally Posted by DFK6 View Post
    Do people really watch Clyne, I'm sick of the lazy argument that Clyne is solid as a rock. He's nowhere near good enough if truth be told. Going forward is part of being a full back and especially how we play and Clyne is awful at it.
    this
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #90  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by DFK6 View Post
    Do people really watch Clyne, I'm sick of the lazy argument that Clyne is solid as a rock. He's nowhere near good enough if truth be told. Going forward is part of being a full back and especially how we play and Clyne is awful at it.
    He was great at the beginning of the season but got a lot worse. Seems to be unable to get a decent pass into the box lately.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •