Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Signed hull left back Andrew Robertson according to the Mirror

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheDim View Post
    He was great at the beginning of the season but got a lot worse. Seems to be unable to get a decent pass into the box lately.
    he has no brain with the ball at his feet, isnt very good at one two touch stuff around the box... defensively he s not the worst in the world but not brilliant either....

he d be third in line to be replaced in the starting 11 for me after lovren and milner....

i think karius will emerge next season
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Just the PL medal.
    Just because you win the Premier League playing a particular position - in a supporting role mind you - doesn't mean that's your best position. If we'd won the league this year, would that mean Milner is now an out and out left back? I don't see that being relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    he has no brain with the ball at his feet, isnt very good at one two touch stuff around the box... defensively he s not the worst in the world but not brilliant either....

he d be third in line to be replaced in the starting 11 for me after lovren and milner....

i think karius will emerge next season
    Can you name better defensive full backs than Clyne? How can you say he's not brilliant. Again, I have yet to see him run ragged by anyone in the Premier League whilst playing for Liverpool. Eden Hazard, Raheem Sterling, Alexis Sanchez, none of them have had stellar games against us. Clyne has been exemplary in defense. I totally agree that he needs to find his game going forward, but you really shouldn't question his defensive ability. He has pace, he's tenacious and looks to enjoy the defensive side of the game. Name four full backs in the Premier League better than Clyne, if he's not good enough...?

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NDex87 View Post
    Just because you win the Premier League playing a particular position - in a supporting role mind you - doesn't mean that's your best position. If we'd won the league this year, would that mean Milner is now an out and out left back? I don't see that being relevant.

Can you name better defensive full backs than Clyne? How can you say he's not brilliant. Again, I have yet to see him run ragged by anyone in the Premier League whilst playing for Liverpool. Eden Hazard, Raheem Sterling, Alexis Sanchez, none of them have had stellar games against us. Clyne has been exemplary in defense. I totally agree that he needs to find his game going forward, but you really shouldn't question his defensive ability. He has pace, he's tenacious and looks to enjoy the defensive side of the game. Name four full backs in the Premier League better than Clyne, if he's not good enough...?
    He's definitely not brilliant.

I've always rated Robertson personally. The only doubt that remains for me is whether he can cut it at a massive club like ours and improve to the standards required. Too many haven't been able to cope over the years.

Valencia, Bellerin, Coleman, Azpilicueta, Walker, Trippier and possibly Cedric. There's 7 PL right backs better than Clyne, and most likely there's more.

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Clyne looks a nervous wreck every time he has to actually receive the ball. He can't wait to get rid of it again. Rarely attacks the space or tries to run beyond players, end product is non existant. He's alright defensively, but I don't think he's good enough to justify the complete lack of option he is going forward. Hopefully TAA can kick on next season and take that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Clyne looks a nervous wreck every time he has to actually receive the ball. He can't wait to get rid of it again. Rarely attacks the space or tries to run beyond players, end product is non existant. He's alright defensively, but I don't think he's good enough to justify the complete lack of option he is going forward. Hopefully TAA can kick on next season and take that spot.
    Hard to disagree with any of that.

Would be great if TAA could really step up next season.

Quote Originally Posted by DFK6 View Post
    Valencia, Bellerin, Coleman, Azpilicueta, Walker, Trippier and possibly Cedric. There's 7 PL right backs better than Clyne, and most likely there's more.
    It's really quite galling to see the strength in depth Spurs have at the back - arguably both their full backs on either side would make our first XI.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    It's really quite galling to see the strength in depth Spurs have at the back - arguably both their full backs on either side would make our first XI.
    Not just at the back, Spurs are building a very good young side. If they keep everyone this summer and add 1 or 2 quality attacking players they'll be a side for everyone to fear next season. Although I think playing their games at Wembley is going to work against them.

Quote Originally Posted by DFK6 View Post
    Not just at the back, Spurs are building a very good young side. If they keep everyone this summer and add 1 or 2 quality attacking players they'll be a side for everyone to fear next season. Although I think playing their games at Wembley is going to work against them.
    If they progress in the FA Cup, they will be guaranteed a home game if they reach the semi and the final!!!

Will Spuds fans sing the following next season?

Que sera, sera, whatever will be will be, we're going to ..... another home game, que sera, sera.

Spurs are on their way to ..... another home game, Tottenham's gonna do it again.

Poor Chas and Dave will have to rewrite some of their poxy songs.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    If this story about Robertson holds true and we also sign Sessegnon, then Milner won't be used at LB at all next season. And if Arnold isn't ready to step up, I can see Milner getting some game time at RB.

fredthecamel is offline First team regular

walker bellerin coleman soarez trippier azpilicueta

off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    walker bellerin coleman soarez trippier azpilicueta

off the top of my head
    Soares and Trippier are not better in their defensive duties than Nathaniel Clyne, no way. Bellerin and Coleman are again very attacking and do an adequate job defensively. The only two I'd agree with are Walker and Azpilicueta.

My statement was focused specifically on the defensive side of things where Clyne does not put a foot wrong.

Now, are there full backs in the league who are "better" all around...yes probably. On this list you mentioned, I'd prefer Walker, Coleman and maybe Bellerin, but Azpilicueta is more of the same; great defensively but rubbish going forward -- i.e. why he's been moved to center half, Trippier is a brilliant attacking full back but lacks defensively and gets caught out of position -- i.e. he can't get a run of games at Tottenham unless Walker's injured, and Soares is a busy, quality full back but not especially good at attacking or defending. Good player, but he'd play as a backup to Clyne on my team.

As I've stated in other threads though, the key is at left back. Right back is covered. Clyne is OK going forward and brilliant in defense. Trent Alexander Arnold looks an accomplished attacking player and will only improve defensively. He had a cracker of a match in Sydney. Exhibition I know, but he just oozed of goal threat from right back...that's exciting stuff.

I would predict that Clyne will be second choice right back in two years time, but for now he's our best option and remains one of the best all 'round full backs in the Premier League.

It's hard to imagine worst RB then Clyne...
    He is joint first with Lovren as stupid as you can get in defense.
    He also has the worst positional sense at this position in the league and can't beat his man even if his ife depend on it .
    He also can't cath up if beaten ...and in general is poor ,poor defender.

Quote Originally Posted by livermaina View Post
    He also has the worst positional sense at this position in the league and can't beat his man even if his ife depend on it .
    Are you mad? You're clearly watching a different player than the rest of the world. I'm not saying he's the best full back in the world, but to say defensively he's poor is just rhetoric.

Can you give examples?

To be fair it's not even worth it to begin with Clyne ...
    You can litteraly pick any game (bar Arsenal) and you will see ... if you can that is.
    We will be in BIG troubles if we stay with Clyne as RB for next season-as a back up may be ,but we need better.
    Even young Arnold is better option - he atleast can offer much more up front...

fowlers2atgrayskull is offline Academy prospect
    Sessignon from Fulham is being chased I believe

You can litteraly pick any game (bar Arsenal) and you will see ... if you can that is.
    We will be in BIG troubles if we stay with Clyne as RB for next season-as a back up may be ,but we need better.
    Here are quotes from a few sources who have eyes, as apparently the gift of sight has stranded me...

TheScore.com

"Overshadowed somewhat by more adventurous compatriots who also occupy the full-back positions - three of whom we'll get to shortly - Nathaniel Clyne seems to go more quietly about his business. A solid, consistent contributor who couples bright attacking forays with defensive awareness.

He doesn't boast the explosiveness of Kyle Walker, who is the current first-choice right-back for the Three Lions, but the Liverpool stalwart arguably offers more security than his Tottenham counterpart. Durable as they come, the 25-year-old has played at least 33 Premier League matches in three of his last four seasons."

Playingfor90.com

"In his first year at Liverpool, Clyne represented a rare piece of good business in the market by Rodgers. And though it’s Jurgen Klopp’s team now and the German’s fingerprints are very much smeared on the roster, one place he’s left untouched is the right back position. And barring injury, he won’t have to for a while.

Clyne didn’t see much of the pitch at Euro 2016, but he is the best English fullback. With better size than Danny Rose, though not as flashy on the attack, and more discipline than Walker and Bertrand, Clyne’s next career step should be helping the Reds qualify for the Champions League."

Now, by the numbers, according to the Official Premier League website, Nathaniel Clyne had more tackles (80) than anyone mentioned in this thread, aside from Cedric Soares and Azpilicueta, who had 83 and 84 respectively. Bear in mind, Azpilicueta played as a center half this whole season. That's more than Kyle Walker, and Bellerin isn't even in the top 20. Clyne also was the most durable, aside from Azpilicueta, only missing 96 minutes of football this season, while making 37 appearances. He also had more interceptions than anyone on this list, but Azpilicueta with 43 for the year. He also was adept at avoiding silly fouls, committing only 14 the entire season. Coleman, who has missed tons of gametime had 18, Walker 36, Soares 22 and Bellerin also 20, Azpilicueta had 27. So, he's played vastly more minutes than most on the list yet has the fewest amount of fouls.

Go by your disillusioned eye test all you like. The statistics can't be argued. There are opinions in the quotes I provided as well, so feel free to put as much or as little stock into that as you like, but by the numbers he's probably the best defensive full back in the league.

The one area he fell behind was in Errors Leading to a Goal. He had 1 all season in 37 matches. The other players mentioned had none.

I hope we are setting our sights a bit higher than Robertson.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlers2atgrayskull View Post
    Sessignon from Fulham is being chased I believe
    Bit young

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Bit young
    Age doesn't seem to be a problem for Spurs, who finished second.

Quote Originally Posted by YodainaSkoda View Post
    Age doesn't seem to be a problem for Spurs, who finished second.
    They don't have a 17 year old in their starting XI though do they? In fact, Deli Alli is the youngest regular starter at 21. Both starting full backs are 26, giving them an average age on the back line of 27.5.

They don't have a 17 year old in their starting XI though do they? In fact, Deli Alli is the youngest regular starter at 21. Both starting full backs are 26, giving them an average age on the back line of 27.5.
    Yeah but those lads were younger when Spurs started to play them as regulars. Kane was 19 if I'm correct. Maybe not 17 but if he's good enough, he can play. I'd doubt he'd be first choice automatically anyway.

Eh?

whats that based on?

Ive even heard people slagging off the way he runs, absolutely ridiculous criticism.

Coach791 is offline First team regular
    Big Troubles in Little Clyne eh?

Watch us buy a new RB but not a LB or GK. lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppite007 View Post
    I hope we are setting our sights a bit higher than Robertson.
    could we be actually signing 2 !! left backs this summer? ryan sessegon and benjamin mendy also in the frame

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    could we be actually signing 2 !! left backs this summer? ryan sessegon and benjamin mendy also in the frame
    The Echo has it that we have withdrew our interest from Sessegon due tu his lack of desire to join us!

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    That would be a massive show of intent. Although I really like the way he plays, I just can't see us (Klopp) spending that much money on a Left-Back. The most Klopp has ever spent on a LB is something like half a million quid. That says to me, in Klopp's mind and system, anyone can play LB and do a job.

Here are quotes from a few sources who have eyes, as apparently the gift of sight has stranded me...

TheScore.com

"Overshadowed somewhat by more adventurous compatriots who also occupy the full-back positions - three of whom we'll get to shortly - Nathaniel Clyne seems to go more quietly about his business. A solid, consistent contributor who couples bright attacking forays with defensive awareness.

He doesn't boast the explosiveness of Kyle Walker, who is the current first-choice right-back for the Three Lions, but the Liverpool stalwart arguably offers more security than his Tottenham counterpart. Durable as they come, the 25-year-old has played at least 33 Premier League matches in three of his last four seasons."

Playingfor90.com

"In his first year at Liverpool, Clyne represented a rare piece of good business in the market by Rodgers. And though itís Jurgen Kloppís team now and the Germanís fingerprints are very much smeared on the roster, one place heís left untouched is the right back position. And barring injury, he wonít have to for a while.

Clyne didnít see much of the pitch at Euro 2016, but he is the best English fullback. With better size than Danny Rose, though not as flashy on the attack, and more discipline than Walker and Bertrand, Clyneís next career step should be helping the Reds qualify for the Champions League."

Now, by the numbers, according to the Official Premier League website, Nathaniel Clyne had more tackles (80) than anyone mentioned in this thread, aside from Cedric Soares and Azpilicueta, who had 83 and 84 respectively. Bear in mind, Azpilicueta played as a center half this whole season. That's more than Kyle Walker, and Bellerin isn't even in the top 20. Clyne also was the most durable, aside from Azpilicueta, only missing 96 minutes of football this season, while making 37 appearances. He also had more interceptions than anyone on this list, but Azpilicueta with 43 for the year. He also was adept at avoiding silly fouls, committing only 14 the entire season. Coleman, who has missed tons of gametime had 18, Walker 36, Soares 22 and Bellerin also 20, Azpilicueta had 27. So, he's played vastly more minutes than most on the list yet has the fewest amount of fouls.

Go by your disillusioned eye test all you like. The statistics can't be argued. There are opinions in the quotes I provided as well, so feel free to put as much or as little stock into that as you like, but by the numbers he's probably the best defensive full back in the league.

The one area he fell behind was in Errors Leading to a Goal. He had 1 all season in 37 matches. The other players mentioned had none.
    Clyne's mistake was in the first game of the season against Arsenal. He let Ox get wrong side of him. Then again our entire back-four made countless mistakes.Therefore criticizing Clyne is unfair in that respect. Moreno made two in the same game. Luckily enough we won.