Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the consensus on Paul Pogba?

90m , he's been diabolical considering the fee and taking away the fee , he's been half decent at most
    Eagle Face Moron
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Like when Firmino wasn't performing under Rodgers, his numbers behind the numbers were great and therefore the bottom line production will get there. He is involved in so much good during the game, that assists and goals will come. He's also been extremely unlucky with having hit the woodwork something like 14 times this season. We saw with Suarez what can happen when those hit woodworks suddenly start flying in.

Now, is he a 90mil player? No, but then again apart from Messi and Ronaldo nobody comes close as you can always find another player who is cheaper than that. But that's the market which is driven by hashtags, brands and merchandise. They could have bought someone just as good for 50mil, but the profit wouldn't have come close to the Pogba machine. So that's that.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    Like when Firmino wasn't performing under Rodgers, his numbers behind the numbers were great and therefore the bottom line production will get there. He is involved in so much good during the game, that assists and goals will come. He's also been extremely unlucky with having hit the woodwork something like 14 times this season. We saw with Suarez what can happen when those hit woodworks suddenly start flying in.

Now, is he a 90mil player? No, but then again apart from Messi and Ronaldo nobody comes close as you can always find another player who is cheaper than that. But that's the market which is driven by hashtags, brands and merchandise. They could have bought someone just as good for 50mil, but the profit wouldn't have come close to the Pogba machine. So that's that.
    I think there are a few players more I would play 90m for.

Suarez
    Neymar

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post

he is involved in a lot but the amount of times he makes the wrong decision in games i.e taking on people when he should be passing is quite high add in the fact he has been anonymous in most of the big games, stats tell part of the story but not the full story
    Eagle Face Moron

Pogba has been really underwhelming this season.

Obviously you'd expect immediate results, given the world record fee, but i'm not going to label Pogba a flop yet or completely write him off.

He is an extremely talented footballer, and I'm pretty sure that next season he'll improve significantly, unfortunately.

Like many CM's in the PL these days (it seems), I think Pogba is best in a '3', rather than a '2'. I imagine that Mourinho will buy a new DM in the summer, with Herrera and Pogba lining up either side.

I don't think him playing next to Herrera in a deeper position helps him. The sooner he plays in a more advanced position the more likely he'll show what he's capable of. I don't think he was worth what United paid him but to simply dismiss him as a flop is just wrong, even if he has underperformed this season, and potentially next season might turn out to be somewhat facetious.

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    I think had his transfer fee been about 20-40m people would be giving him far more praise.

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Poor first season no doubt.

Talent is clearly there but same could be said of many players without emoji's.
    He's been good but not amazing.

Hardly "poor" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    I really hate these generalities , like who?
    Don't be silly, I'm not writing a list of players throughout history with big reps who didn't live up to it

Use your imagination or own knowledge and stop trying too hard

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Don't be silly, I'm not writing a list of players throughout history with big reps who didn't live up to it

Use your imagination or own knowledge and stop trying too hard

Gloriously ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post

Hardly "poor" though.
    I think he has been poor considering the context, you'd expect so much more

Funny how we lower the standards in some cases for our rivals and their players who cost so much more in comparison to our own

SoulPower7 is online now Academy prospect
    Far too soon to write him off. Too much tendency these days to say a player is a flop if they have a poor first season.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPower7 View Post
    Far too soon to write him off. Too much tendency these days to say a player is a flop if they have a poor first season.
    That's something different in a sense, I'm not writing him off personally, clearly he's talented but in terms of this season and his first in the Prem, he's been poor

I see there is a suggestion he would benefit with the right system to support him and better players around him.....so again I question his current ability if he has been unable to stand out and be the driving force, we've seen players do that, dragging their teams out of mediocrity (a certain number 8 here springs to mind) but Pogba at this stage does not have that in him and while he's hit the woodwork a few times, he's also fluffed big moments in a lot of those draws with erratic laboured finishes.

He has it all in front of him though potentially

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post

Hardly "poor" though.
    yes he's been poor nowhere near good
    Eagle Face Moron

Has there been any type of poll on RedCafe?

That would have been a hoot.

Not worth his price tag but still a world class player

Poor first season but if he somehow scores and becomes the europa league hero then the poor season will be masked and the transfer fee justified by their deluded fan base.

Thought Id be going wow! a few times this season but havent once. Unbelievably over priced and hyped. Ballotelli with more attitude.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    a tiny bit of skill and everyone goes wow. find it amusing that since leaving juventus they have got to a CL final - funny that

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Thought Id be going wow! a few times this season but havent once. Unbelievably over priced and hyped. Ballotelli with more attitude.
    good dancer mind you can also dab
    Eagle Face Moron

#Pogcack

Quote Originally Posted by RoryTheCat View Post
    #Pogcack
    Any relation to mycatnametommy there Rory?

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post

I have gone wow a few times to be fair, possibly for all the wrong reasons...like him getting clean through and dragging shots well wide, leaping around and hand balling corners, walloping shots into row z etc

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    yes he's been poor nowhere near good
    Poor I think is very harsh.

Thing is with all the hyperbole around him I think it's almost impossible to make a fair judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    Poor I think is very harsh.

Thing is with all the hyperbole around him I think it's almost impossible to make a fair judgement.
    ok maybe poor is harsh, extremely average or incandescent with mediocrity.
    Eagle Face Moron

He was overrated when United signed him, and he is overrated still. Nowhere near worth what United paid - he is a good midfielder with potential to get even better, but would I want him in our side, based on what we have seen of him this season? No thanks - there are many better CM's out there, imo. And that, for me, says it all.

Long may his form continue.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    ok maybe poor is harsh, extremely average or incandescent with mediocrity.

A lot of swagger this season but not a lot of end product. I'm not quite sure if Maureen is getting the best out of him, or exactly what his best position is - I'd consider playing him a bit further forward.

Hopefully he flops horribly, but I suspect there's a good player in there. Seems to be able to do most things pretty well, just can't quite put it all together at the moment. Bit like United generally I guess.

Never worth 90m but United simply don't care and sadly it just doesn't matter.

Its funny that hes underperformed for what they paid for him because he plays for a rival club but he is clearly a very good player and is gonna get better and better, probably never to the bracket of a 90 million pound player mind you.