Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Clear Out

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    Only boring if you have a pea brain and can't comprehend opportunity cost. I suggest you google it.

We don't have to be desperate, resources are tied up in Sturridge and potentially could be used more effectively/efficiently on somebody else. It's that simple. If we think we could get more out of those resources being reallocated, we should get rid and reinvest them.
    and i suggest you stop throwing insults around and trying understanding what someone else says for a change. i am fully aware of what resources are tied up in sturridge but what you can't seem to comprehend is that the guy, even with his injuries is still a quality player and there are very few of those around..

IF, and it may be a big IF, he can be kept fit then there is no reason not to have him as a squad player. if he stays or if he goes makes no difference. you complain about quality on the bench, guess what, that comes with a price tag whether they play or not.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    If Wisdom goes for 6m I'll drink a mason jar of my own bodily fluids
    Jordon Ibe £15m.....!

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Jordon Ibe £15m.....!
    indeed, if this lot where in charge the club would be bankrupt within 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Jordon Ibe £15m.....!
    Probably the best bit of selling business ever to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrMustard View Post
    Probably the best bit of selling business ever to be fair.
    What about Brad Smith, didn't he go for about £10 million?

Red-And-Proud is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AboveUsOnlySky View Post
    What about Brad Smith, didn't he go for about £10 million?
    5-6m according to a quick google search, still good business for a defender
    Klopps beard twin

Liverdinner is offline Posts With His Faace
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    and i suggest you stop throwing insults around and trying understanding what someone else says for a change. i am fully aware of what resources are tied up in sturridge but what you can't seem to comprehend is that the guy, even with his injuries is still a quality player and there are very few of those around..

IF, and it may be a big IF, he can be kept fit then there is no reason not to have him as a squad player. if he stays or if he goes makes no difference. you complain about quality on the bench, guess what, that comes with a price tag whether they play or not.

Says I'm boring and then complains about insults.

Errr I can comprehend that since I already said I am one of his biggest fans on here. It seems like it's you that can't comprehend.

What if he doesn't stay fit ( as he usually doesnt) and our resources are tied up in a player who had little chance to contribute ?

Wait. You're advocating keeping him but then say it doesn't matter if he stays or goes
    Last edited by Liverdinner; 18-5-17 at 14:03.

Says I'm boring and then complains about insults.

Errr I can comprehend that since I already said I am one of his biggest fans on here. It seems like it's you that can't comprehend.

What if he doesn't stay fit ( as he usually doesnt) and our resources are tied up in a player who had little chance to contribute ?

Wait. You're advocating keeping him but then say it doesn't matter if he stays or goes
    wrong again, i never said you were boring. but the post was.

as i said earlier, i can see both sides. the argument about his wages is a moot point as the club can easily afford it which seems to be the bit your having trouble with.

wrong again, i never said you were boring. but the post was.

as i said earlier, i can see both sides. the argument about his wages is a moot point as the club can easily afford it which seems to be the bit your having trouble with.
    And I never explicitly said you had a pea brain.

You clearly can't see both sides if you think wages are a moot point. People have tried to explain to you but it's not going in.

Wages are a resource and if they're deployed in sturridge and he isn't playing, they're employed inefficiently and could be better deployed elsewhere in new players who can contribute more. It's that simple . Please try and understand

And I never explicitly said you had a pea brain.

You clearly can't see both sides if you think wages are a moot point. People have tried to explain to you but it's not going in.

Wages are a resource and if they're deployed in sturridge and he isn't playing, they're employed inefficiently and could be better deployed elsewhere in new players who can contribute more. It's that simple . Please try and understand
    and if sturridge is fit he is superior quality than many players, its called making a choice and if klopp think its worth then fine. thats all that really matters inefficient or not.

and if sturridge is fit he is superior quality than many players, its called making a choice and if klopp think its worth then fine. thats all that really matters inefficient or not.
    But he is hardly ever fit and we know that.

The rest of your post is wishy washy and says nothing

Well this thread has thrown up some interesting and diverse opinions. Not only have there been some interesting inclusions but also exclusions.

No one (as far as I have seen) has nominated either Mignolet or Lovren for selling on, which considering the amount of criticism they get on these pages is quite surprising. I am glad of this as I have always supported Mignolet and am gratified to see that most fans are coming round to my way of thinking that although not perfect, he is not half as bad as many have made out in the past.

Lovren I feel is far from perfect, but if we can buy in some top defenders he would be a much better stand-in than Klaven.

Sturridge. IMO the second most talented player (after Coutinho) we have. He has cost the club a lot of money both in salary and expensive medical treatment whilst giving very little return over 2 seasons. To me it would not make strategic or economical sense to sell him when he might just be coming back to full fitness and form.

On top of this people are talking as if it is a “given” that he will be sold, whereas the player, the manager or the club have offered no such opinion. I would like to see the club hold on to him and see how he works out over the summer. If he breaks down again, sell him, but if he holds up keep him at all costs, he is such a powerful weapon when fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert-Hall View Post
    Sturridge. IMO the second most talented player (after Coutinho) we have. He has cost the club a lot of money both in salary and expensive medical treatment whilst giving very little return over 2 seasons. To me it would not make strategic or economical sense to sell him when he might just be coming back to full fitness and form.

On top of this people are talking as if it is a “given” that he will be sold, whereas the player, the manager or the club have offered no such opinion. I would like to see the club hold on to him and see how he works out over the summer. If he breaks down again, sell him, but if he holds up keep him at all costs, he is such a powerful weapon when fit.
    I'm a sentimental chap at heart and I'd like to keep him, even though he may get injured again and again.

One last chance?

I know that he probably shouldn't be given that chance, but I just love seeing him play for us. I always think he's going to score.

indeed, if this lot where in charge the club would be bankrupt within 2 seasons.
    Come on Kal! You'd be surprised with 6m for Wisdom, forgot the guy existed

Sturridge should be given until the transfer window in January to show that he is capable of playing regularly without getting injured. He is a special talent as a forward and would be difficult to replace. Of course, money is a factor, both his wages and his selling price. However, he has performed remarkably when coming back last week from a lengthy absence and perhaps now he will have a long run without injuries. None of the injuries he suffered in the past were career threatening ones.

Sturidge? Coming back to fitness? You are a very optimistic lad!

Quote Originally Posted by Toredo View Post
    Sturridge should be given until the transfer window in January to show that he is capable of playing regularly without getting injured. He is a special talent as a forward and would be difficult to replace. Of course, money is a factor, both his wages and his selling price. However, he has performed remarkably when coming back last week from a lengthy absence and perhaps now he will have a long run without injuries. None of the injuries he suffered in the past were career threatening ones.
    His talent is not in doubt but the past predicts the future. We should sell in summer when we could get most amount

Forget sturridge. He is too much of a risk. The last 3 seasons must tell us that.

We can't afford a clearout, we already have a paper thin, weak squad, a clear out will be a disaster, unless of course we bring in 4-5 top players, which we won't be doing.

Reckon we are stuck with what we have, possibly, 1-2 players added, who may or may not be good enough, time will tell -you know the sort! Add possibly a few young hopefuls.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    Come on Kal! You'd be surprised with 6m for Wisdom, forgot the guy existed
    yes., and most on here would give him away for free.

yes., and most on here would give him away for free.
    He's a two bob talent

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    I would sell:

Lucas
    Moreno
    Sturridge
    Klavan
    Marko
    Sakho
    Flanners
    Bogden

Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    Henderson, Sturridge, Moreno and Lovren are at the top of my list
    That's the dumbest list I've ever seen.
    It's called taking advantage. It's what gets you ahead in life.

Manninger (just retire lad)
    Bogdan (bleeding useless)
    Klavan (If we get a couple of CB's)
    Lucas (I think he's just a liability at this point)
    Stewart (at his age it would be unfair on him to keep him and not play him)
    Moreno (will our LB problems ever stop)
    Sakho (unless him and Klopp reconcile and his injury proneness ceases then I think he should go)
    Wisdom (dead weight at this point)
    Flanagan (Shame considering 13/14 season)
    Dunn (at his age and hasn't kicked on)
    Markovic (waste of 20million)
    Randall (will be a half decent championship player I think)
    Lloyd Jones (hasn't done enough to get into 1st team)

If some team is willing to cough up a minimum of 30million for Sturridge then I'd sell him.
    It's called taking advantage. It's what gets you ahead in life.

Henderson has been nominated by a few people on here for selling. This would be almost comical if it was not sad that after all this time of slowly rising within the ranks to become Liverpool captain and a regular England player, some Liverpool supporters are still unable to see his worth.

At the moment he is not playing due to a persistent foot injury, but you don't sell a good player for that any more than you would sell a car because it has a flat tyre.

There is not a single player in the Premiership, never mind Liverpool, who could follow Captain Fantastic and be considered his equal. However Henderson has made a damned good fist of it. He is strong physically and mentally, is pivotal (I choose the word carefully) in the centre of the field, his distribution whilst not quite Gerrard-esque is pretty damned good, he pulls off the occasional super strike and leads with passion. He is a MUST STAY.

woops
    Last edited by Albert-Hall; 19-5-17 at 20:42.

Henderson has been nominated by a few people on here for selling. This would be almost comical if it was not sad that after all this time of slowly rising within the ranks to become Liverpool captain and a regular England player, some Liverpool supporters are still unable to see his worth.

At the moment he is not playing due to a persistent foot injury, but you don't sell a good player for that any more than you would sell a car because it has a flat tyre.

There is not a single player in the Premiership, never mind Liverpool, who could follow Captain Fantastic and be considered his equal. However Henderson has made a damned good fist of it. He is strong physically and mentally, is pivotal (I choose the word carefully) in the centre of the field, his distribution whilst not quite Gerrard-esque is pretty damned good, he pulls off the occasional super strike and leads with passion. He is a MUST STAY.
    Nah, he's pants.

we need to upgrade on most of our players, Henderson included. I don't see that happening so we'll just have to live with it.

This is still LFC... well last I looked it was. We've been spoilt by having world class players, so in general we can tell an average / limited player when we see one.

This is true of every position, not least midfield. Henderson wasn't just following Gerrard, we'd recently had Mascherano and Alonso in there too.

People can be belligerent all they want but the fact of the matter is Henderson is to our midfield what Downing was to our wings.

Yes he gave his all at times and though limited be did bust a gut... but he was no Mane. Just like Borini was no Suarez and Lucas no Alonso.

Henderson has done amazingly well to rise to become captain, but even without signing Naby, I'd rather see Can, Gini and Lallana in a midfield 3 than draft him back in.

Note to self. "If you ever become a professional footballer, do not become injured". When Jon Flanagan was first introduced to the ranks of the first team several seasons ago, I had to turn to a fellow Liverpool supporter in my local and ask the question "Who's he?" "A good lad" was the reply. He was, and is.

That was the first of many matches I watched him play. A local lad of Irish stock, he proved to be tenacious to the point of ruthless. He took no prisoners in his tackles, played his heart out and gave nor asked for any quarter. Unfortunately in off season friendlies he got injured and lost an entire season. I for one waited patiently for his return.

Unfortunately for him and for Liverpool during his absence there had been a change of management. Jurgen promptly to my surprise loaned him out to Burnley. Fair enough I thought, give him some match time. Unfortunately another blow. He became understudy for the emerging and much sort after Michael Keane. People on here blithely say "he can't even get a game at Burnley". No he can't because Liverpool can't even afford to buy the player who is blocking his way. This does not in any way make Flanagan a bad player.

People keep saying we desperately need a left back. But we have two decent left backs in the shape of Flanagan and Gomez, but for reasons best known to himself Klopp persists in playing an ageing midfielder in that position. A bit like he persisted in playing Origi even when Sturridge was back fit and available. A bit like when he played Karius when it was obvious to everyone else that he was not half as good as Mignolet. Klopp is supposed to be a brilliant manager, but I seriously doubt some of his choices which not only hinder the team but also undermine the reputation and careers of good footballers.

As the closed season approaches there will be some comings and goings during the summer. So is there any future at Liverpool for fringe players like .....

Bogden, Moreno, Ings, Sakho, Markovic, Wisdom ?

Should even Flanagan, Gomez, Sturridge, Klaven and Leiva be looking over their shoulders?

Have you any other players you think we should get shot of or any of the above you think we should hold on tight to ?

Your thoughts gents.
    The question I ask is would any potentially title winning side (Chelsea, Spurs, City) take any of those players on your list. It is a resounding NO which tells you all you need to know about whether we should move them on or not.

I also think Origi, Milner, Clyne should not be part of an ideal first 11 next season and should only stay at the club if they realise they will be very much second choice. Perhaps controversially I would look to sell Henderson as I would like Klopp to sign a big defensive ball winning midifeld player to sit in front of the defence to offer more protection and set up a counter attacks.