Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 137 of 137

Thread: Kylian Mbappe

  1. #121  
    DreamingOfKlopp is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    19,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrams View Post
    Yep. Mbappe was very much in our thoughts last summer. After all of this speculation he'll probably do another season at Monaco
    It would be a smart move for him to stay put, also Monaco has a super rich owner who wanted to make them a super power in world football. Wasn't it only some personal issues that effected his original big splurge? If so having a bunch of super stars develop would be perfect for them as they have the funds to pay their wages and monaco is a pretty nice place to live.

    If they really are trying to become the new psg i doubt they will ever want to sell him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #122  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    58,483
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    I think he'll stay another year there. Way too much would be expected of an 18 year old if he moved this summer.
    It is pretty much up to him, if he wants to go and there is a big offer for him then Monaco will sell
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #123  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    58,483
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfKlopp View Post
    It would be a smart move for him to stay put, also Monaco has a super rich owner who wanted to make them a super power in world football. Wasn't it only some personal issues that effected his original big splurge? If so having a bunch of super stars develop would be perfect for them as they have the funds to pay their wages and monaco is a pretty nice place to live.

    If they really are trying to become the new psg i doubt they will ever want to sell him.
    I think the times of them spending a lot of money are gone, now it about getting as much as they can for the current crop and then move on. They just can't become the PSG, they have a tiny stadium and very small fan base in a mini city where hardly anyone is interested in footbal.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #124  
    DreamingOfKlopp is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    19,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    I think the times of them spending a lot of money are gone, now it about getting as much as they can for the current crop and then move on. They just can't become the PSG, they have a tiny stadium and very small fan base in a mini city where hardly anyone is interested in footbal.
    Yeah fair enough, but in terms of developing a top team i think that is on the agenda.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #125  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrams View Post
    Yep. Mbappe was very much in our thoughts last summer.
    And very much in our dreams this summer.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #126  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfKlopp View Post
    You do realise we tried to sign Mbappe before he signed a professional contract right?
    I only heard that a couple of weeks back when he was first mooted. Do we know what the stumbling block was then?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #127  
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    I think he'll stay another year there. Way too much would be expected of an 18 year old if he moved this summer.
    He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Apparently Zidane tried to sign him for Real Madrid's youth team in 2013 but chose Monaco instead as he felt he'd get first team football quicker there.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #128  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    50,795
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfKlopp View Post
    I see what your point is and if 50 mil solved our cb issues then yeah i could deal with the fee. But that's the thing for 50 mil you want to be guaranteed that the guy is one of the best cbs around. Playing in a mid table team that sits deep doesn't do anything to convince me that he is one of the best cbs around, especially as lovren looked the part in the same situation.

    VVD has far too many question marks over him to be worth paying 50 mil, his injury is another question mark.

    That's not to say im against signing him, he just isn't worth the risk of 50 mil imo.
    Youre essentially ignoring what I said, and still focussing on whether he's worth the money again.

    Take Wijnaldum. He didnt solve anything for our midfield and he cost 25m. He wouldn't have been a better signing if he cost half of that, would he? It's just easier for you to swallow that we wasted a season and that amount on a player who doesn't add anything to our game or solve our problems. That is the same for Van Dijk. If he doesnt solve our defensive problems then he's not a good signing even if he costs 20m instead of 50m, so there is no point in actually signing him. That's why I cant understand your view that you'd have him but not for 50m. You either think he has the attributes we require or you don't. He doesn't suddenly have them because youre getting him for half the price.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #129  
    DreamingOfKlopp is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    19,922
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Youre essentially ignoring what I said, and still focussing on whether he's worth the money again.

    Take Wijnaldum. He didnt solve anything for our midfield and he cost 25m. He wouldn't have been a better signing if he cost half of that, would he? It's just easier for you to swallow that we wasted a season and that amount on a player who doesn't add anything to our game or solve our problems. That is the same for Van Dijk. If he doesnt solve our defensive problems then he's not a good signing even if he costs 20m instead of 50m, so there is no point in actually signing him. That's why I cant understand your view that you'd have him but not for 50m. You either think he has the attributes we require or you don't. He doesn't suddenly have them because youre getting him for half the price.
    Wijnaldum was one of the highest scoring midfielders in 15/16 and Klopp wanted to add more goals from the midfield.

    But again you keep comparing him to attacking players.

    It is pretty simple VVD is a risk and for a decent price he may be worth that risk, but he is no where near worth risking 50 mil of our stretched budget on. Especially when there are plenty of other quality cbs that could be attained for much less.

    It is insane to think that we couldn't solve our cb issues without spending 50 mil on a cb.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #130  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    50,795
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfKlopp View Post
    Wijnaldum was one of the highest scoring midfielders in 15/16 and Klopp wanted to add more goals from the midfield.

    But again you keep comparing him to attacking players.

    It is pretty simple VVD is a risk and for a decent price he may be worth that risk, but he is no where near worth risking 50 mil of our stretched budget on. Especially when there are plenty of other quality cbs that could be attained for much less.

    It is insane to think that we couldn't solve our cb issues without spending 50 mil on a cb.
    I haven't compared Wijnaldum to any player. He didnt offer any solutions to our midfield problems. He still doesn't. He's without doubt a signing we didnt need to make, and that doesn't change even if we picked him up for 5m instead of 25m.

    It is simple. Does Van Dijk have the attributes we require and does he solve our problems. That's what you need to ask and answer. That answer doesn't change depending on price, so your comment about having him for a decent feee (whatever that may be) is largely irrelevant. If he doesn't have everything we need or solve our problems then it doesn't make it an ok signing just because we got him cheap. Just like Lambert wasn't an ok signing because we spent next to nothing on him. It completely ignores the missed opportunity of signing a player who does solve your problems and give the team what it needs. That's also why comments such as "I'd sign him for this amount but not for that amount" are redundant.

    We don't know what our budget is so how do we know it's stretched? We don't know how many players Klopp thinks he needs, how much they are, how much he is permitted to spend this summer, or who he can or will actually sign.

    All we should be asking now is "does this player solve our problems and is he exactly what we need".
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #131  
    DreamingOfKlopp is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    19,922
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    I haven't compared Wijnaldum to any player. He didnt offer any solutions to our midfield problems. He still doesn't. He's without doubt a signing we didnt need to make, and that doesn't change even if we picked him up for 5m instead of 25m.

    It is simple. Does Van Dijk have the attributes we require and does he solve our problems. That's what you need to ask and answer. That answer doesn't change depending on price, so your comment about having him for a decent feee (whatever that may be) is largely irrelevant. If he doesn't have everything we need or solve our problems then it doesn't make it an ok signing just because we got him cheap. Just like Lambert wasn't an ok signing because we spent next to nothing on him. It completely ignores the missed opportunity of signing a player who does solve your problems and give the team what it needs. That's also why comments such as "I'd sign him for this amount but not for that amount" are redundant.

    We don't know what our budget is so how do we know it's stretched? We don't know how many players Klopp thinks he needs, how much they are, how much he is permitted to spend this summer, or who he can or will actually sign.

    All we should be asking now is "does this player solve our problems and is he exactly what we need".
    But acting like price isn't part of the equation is nonsense. At 50 mil there are plenty of other cbs who fit the exact same criteria who would be a lot less and much more proven at a higher level than VVD.

    Also Wijnaldum did fill a role in Klopp's mind, he also is very under valued by our fans and is one of the few players who turned our horrible 2017 around. Also 25 mil is also a fee the club could absorb and not be too damaged by. 50mil is a make or break figure for a club like us.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #132  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    50,795
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfKlopp View Post
    But acting like price isn't part of the equation is nonsense. At 50 mil there are plenty of other cbs who fit the exact same criteria who would be a lot less and much more proven at a higher level than VVD.

    Also Wijnaldum did fill a role in Klopp's mind, he also is very under valued by our fans and is one of the few players who turned our horrible 2017 around. Also 25 mil is also a fee the club could absorb and not be too damaged by. 50mil is a make or break figure for a club like us.
    The price isn't part of the equation for us. We're not privy to amount the club can allocate for player recruitment, are we? All we know is what the team requires. Those "plenty of other players" are also irrelevant if we cannot actually sign them, arent they? Again, we don't have the information available for who we tried to sign and for how much. You can sit there and proclaim that x,y, and z are all better and cheaper (as if the club has no idea these players exist) but it doesn't make it a reality. It doesn't mean that they are actually cheaper and they are actually available for us to sign. People said exactly the same thing about Luiz going back to Chelsea, and yet there they are at the top of the league with a player who gave them exactly what they required.

    Wijnaldum didn't and doesnt solve a damn thing. That's not underrating what he does. That's just the absolute truth of the matter. He provides nothing that we needed last summer, and that includes the "goals from midfield" you say Klopp was looking for. 5 goals all season doesnt solve anything.

    And what do you mean, the club can absorb 25m but 50m could break us? We arent going to sign a player we cannot afford or one that puts in a position where we cannot then purchase other players. Talk about hyperbole.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #133  
    DreamingOfKlopp is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    19,922
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    The price isn't part of the equation for us. We're not privy to amount the club can allocate for player recruitment, are we? All we know is what the team requires. Those "plenty of other players" are also irrelevant if we cannot actually sign them, arent they? Again, we don't have the information available for who we tried to sign and for how much. You can sit there and proclaim that x,y, and z are all better and cheaper (as if the club has no idea these players exist) but it doesn't make it a reality. It doesn't mean that they are actually cheaper and they are actually available for us to sign. People said exactly the same thing about Luiz going back to Chelsea, and yet there they are at the top of the league with a player who gave them exactly what they required.

    Wijnaldum didn't and doesnt solve a damn thing. That's not underrating what he does. That's just the absolute truth of the matter. He provides nothing that we needed last summer, and that includes the "goals from midfield" you say Klopp was looking for. 5 goals all season doesnt solve anything.

    And what do you mean, the club can absorb 25m but 50m could break us? We arent going to sign a player we cannot afford or one that puts in a position where we cannot then purchase other players. Talk about hyperbole.
    If it isn't part of the equation for us then why are prices used to beat players with when they don't perform? Not only does price matter on all levels, the pressure that comes psychologically with having such a price tag on a players head can make even the best of professionals crumble.

    There are cbs out there as good if not better than VVD who are worth less than 50 mil, so the person signing him better be willing to put their head on the line if it fails. Because if we **** up a 50 mil signing the is going to be a big fall out by the fans towards the club.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #134  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    50,795
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfKlopp View Post
    If it isn't part of the equation for us then why are prices used to beat players with when they don't perform? Not only does price matter on all levels, the pressure that comes psychologically with having such a price tag on a players head can make even the best of professionals crumble.

    There are cbs out there as good if not better than VVD who are worth less than 50 mil, so the person signing him better be willing to put their head on the line if it fails. Because if we **** up a 50 mil signing the is going to be a big fall out by the fans towards the club.
    Because supporters latch on to anything they can if they want to criticise a player. It's a lazy argument to make. Look at Pogba. "For x he should be doing better". It's largely meaningless. His fee doesn't determine the quality. It's just something we think it is, predominately because it's an easy thing for us to discuss. That's why you can reduce your view to "id have him for a decent fee".

    There should be a fall out if the player cost 10m and was garbage. It's a waste of money no matter how much or how little a player cost. Supporters need to move away from using a fee to discuss players. It is completely irrelevant. It's a trap we as fans fall into and it doesnt actually mean anything. A player is no better or worse if he costs 10m more or less than some arbitrarily decided figure. The only thing you need ask is whether this player sorts out your defensive problems and whether he has everything youre looking for. If he does, then the fee doesn't matter beyond whether you can afford to sign him or not. And he performs and the team is a success, his fee becomes completely irrelevant to us.

    So again, the question is not how much the player costs, it's whether he has exactly what we are looking for and whether he solves our problems. That answer shouldn't change depending on price tag. If it does, then we're looking at the wrong player entirely.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #135  
    DreamingOfKlopp is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    19,922
    Looks like we can sign this lad up now
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #136  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,214
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #137  
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,572
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •