Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kylian Mbappe - to be or not to be?

1. #1 Default Kylian Mbappe - to be or not to be? 
    Looking at the rumour mill across Europe on sky sports I came across this:

Ligue 1 champions Monaco have rejected a 64m (75m) bid for star striker Kylian Mbappe from Liverpool and are holding out for 86m (100m), though they would prefer to keep hold of the 18-year-old sensation for one more season. (Marca)

I like the way he looks, done it against teams in the champions league, looks a lot like Thierry Henry in his pomp. Still the French league is not the hardest, and he is young and for 86million is he worth it and would he fit into our style? Not exactly the bulldog workhorse, but a clinical finisher. Maybe a little like an uninjured sturridge?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    I know we wanted him last summer. Wish we would have pulled the trigger. This kid is the real deal. Will be a star, and hopefully we can nab him before RM do.

I'd pay the 75M it will take to bring him in. We need a star, and a striker. 2 birds.

One of the hottest properties in word football.

I'm not holding my breath

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Does anyone actually believe we have any chance of signing this guy?

It would be some statement, but absolutely no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Does anyone actually believe we have any chance of signing this guy?

It would be some statement, but absolutely no chance.
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    nope
    I'd say slim and none. But why not be optimistic. It's exhausting being so down and gloomy all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    I'd say slim and none. But why not be optimistic. It's exhausting being so down and gloomy all the time.
    It's hardly being 'down and gloomy', it's being realistic.

It's hardly being 'down and gloomy', it's being realistic.
    Exactly. Work it out early then you don't get down and gloomy when the inevitable happens.

I know we wanted him last summer. Wish we would have pulled the trigger. This kid is the real deal. Will be a star, and hopefully we can nab him before RM do.

I'd pay the 75M it will take to bring him in. We need a star, and a striker. 2 birds.
    I think we have a chance. He would probably not get many games with the richest clubs.

Well we have very little chance of it happening - i see that more as realistic than negative. There are other targets to be more optimistic about

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than inevitably let down

Not worth the crazy prices that are floating around. 75-100 million for a 17 year old with one full season of professional football under his belt is absolute insanity. That's not a knock on his clear talent, he's had an excellent season, but the prices reported are extremely steep. Only teams like Madrid, Barcelona and City can afford to spend that amount on one player whilst still having a transfer budget left to use on other players.

You you not feel we are an intermediary club at the moment, a club that players like Mbappe go to before they go to Bayern, Barca, Real, so they can be tested in a real league. If you perform in the Prem you can perform in any league in the world.

I think it would be a good step for the lad, especially if he plays champions league football. He will develop under Klopp, and the way inflation is going well him for 150million in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    Not worth the crazy prices that are floating around. 75-100 million for a 17 year old with one full season of professional football under his belt is absolute insanity. That's not a knock on his clear talent, he's had an excellent season, but the prices reported are extremely steep. Only teams like Madrid, Barcelona and City can afford to spend that amount on one player whilst still having a transfer budget left to use on other players.
    Yeah, you'd be paying for the potential (and enough for Monaco to consider it) and I don't think clubs like Liverpool could do that. He does look a great prospect, and I'd love to see us sign him, but no chance at that price. I'd rather we put it towards signing 2 proven quality players than splash that sort of money on a 17 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by tippa123 View Post
    You you not feel we are an intermediary club at the moment, a club that players like Mbappe go to before they go to Bayern, Barca, Real, so they can be tested in a real league. If you perform in the Prem you can perform in any league in the world.

I think it would be a good step for the lad, especially if he plays champions league football. He will develop under Klopp, and the way inflation is going well him for 150million in 3 years.
    Or he could stay at title winners Monaco, who had a semi final run in the CL, and go the same again next season. Or he could just easily join those big clubs now.

Quote Originally Posted by agb1037 View Post
    I think we have a chance. He would probably not get many games with the richest clubs.
    Klopp would build a team AND a training facility with that money

You're right, its crazy money. I'd pay it though TBH - looks lie the real deal, everything you want from a striker. Its ages since we've done something bat **** crazy but in the right way

Quote Originally Posted by tippa123 View Post
    Looking at the rumour mill across Europe on sky sports I came across this:

Ligue 1 champions Monaco have rejected a 64m (€75m) bid for star striker Kylian Mbappe from Liverpool and are holding out for 86m (€100m), though they would prefer to keep hold of the 18-year-old sensation for one more season. (Marca)

I like the way he looks, done it against teams in the champions league, looks a lot like Thierry Henry in his pomp. Still the French league is not the hardest, and he is young and for €86million is he worth it and would he fit into our style? Not exactly the bulldog workhorse, but a clinical finisher. Maybe a little like an uninjured sturridge?
    Mbape will not come to us even if we offer 100 mill. He has said he wants to go to Real Madrid and play for Zidane, as he has been somewhat of a mentor to him. Real say they have no problem with 100mill+. Monaco want him to stay. So we are out of that equation.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    Klopp would build a team AND a training facility with that money
    Would you buy him ?

Quote Originally Posted by redfoot View Post
    Mbape will not come to us even if we offer 100 mill. He has said he wants to go to Real Madrid and play for Zidane, as he has been somewhat of a mentor to him. Real say they have no problem with 100mill+. Monaco want him to stay. So we are out of that equation.
    Even at that I'd think it's more likely Real would make some kind of agreement to sign him next summer.

No doubt leading to wringing of hands from some of our supporters that we should have snapped him up when we had the chance. Gordon's just as bad as Ayre, why can't we just get deals done, etc etc

Yeah, you'd be paying for the potential (and enough for Monaco to consider it) and I don't think clubs like Liverpool could do that. He does look a great prospect, and I'd love to see us sign him, but no chance at that price. I'd rather we put it towards signing 2 proven quality players than splash that sort of money on a 17 year old.
    Yep exactly that.

You're right, its crazy money. I'd pay it though TBH - looks lie the real deal, everything you want from a striker. Its ages since we've done something bat **** crazy but in the right way
    Here's the thing. I'd be more open to the idea of paying that sort of money for him if we were still guaranteed further big money to spend on other players needed to improve our squad. In all likeliness we'll have around 75-100 million in total to spend on new players and I'd rather we didn't throw it all at a 17 year old with one full season under his belt.

Yep exactly that.

Here's the thing. I'd be more open to the idea of paying that sort of money for him if we were still guaranteed further big money to spend on other players needed to improve our squad. In all likeliness we'll have around 75-100 million in total to spend on new players and I'd rather we didn't throw it all at a 17 year old with one full season under his belt.
    Yea i get that of course and you're right.

Just hope that money doesn't end up going on Oxlade Chamberlain and Michael Keane for 60m

Yea i get that of course and you're right.

Just hope that money doesn't end up going on Oxlade Chamberlain and Michael Keane for 60m
    That's what I'm saying. I'm tired of spreading the money around for good to be above average players.

At some point, we need to buy great players. Let's start now. We have funds, we have reserve funds, and we have player sales. Just do it.

Yep exactly that.

I've read we may have nearer to 200m after sales. Makes things a bit more feasible especially if we get CL.

I've read we may have nearer to 200m after sales. Makes things a bit more feasible especially if we get CL.
    Fingers crossed. I think we could assemble a title winning side with that sort of budget. Let's hope we get champions league first though Regardless of our transfer budget, I'd still be somewhat reluctant to spend half of our budget on Mbappe, 100 million is really just insane.

That's what I'm saying. I'm tired of spreading the money around for good to be above average players.

At some point, we need to buy great players. Let's start now. We have funds, we have reserve funds, and we have player sales. Just do it.
    See, your "optimistic" outlook is just going to lead to recriminations that the club didn't "just do it". Isn't there enough of that?

For that money you could buy a full grown player. Not a talent.
    For that money you could buy three talentet brazilians who are all a future fat ronaldos

Would you buy him ?
    No, I don't know who he is

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    See, your "optimistic" outlook is just going to lead to recriminations that the club didn't "just do it". Isn't there enough of that?
    Yeah, moan the club lack ambition when we fail to complete a virtually impossible transfer. The Liverpool way.

iam just happy we tried with an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by mihamiha23 View Post
    iam just happy we tried with an offer.
    I'm really not sure we did mate