Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathaniel Clyne

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    He's going no where. Nor should he. He is solid at RB. My god, wtf are people thinking? He's top 5 RB in the league.
    I agree. The man hardly gets injured or misses a game for the whole season. I've had a pop at him in the Matchday thread at times but he's very low on the 'we must upgrade' list.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    I agree. The man hardly gets injured or misses a game for the whole season. I've had a pop at him in the Matchday thread at times but he's very low on the 'we must upgrade' list.
    With mane fit, i dont think he needs to go forward that much

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    With mane fit, i dont think he needs to go forward that much
    and this whole 'he can't cross' - we hardly play like that anyway.

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Definitely not a priority, this summer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    I think if (when) Klopp prioritises in upgrading Clyne it'll mean we have a much stronger and solid squad. His rebuilding will have been a big success

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    TAA will be our RB is Clyne is not. So the only priority is a young U-21 RB to come through after TAA.

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    TAA will be our RB is Clyne is not. So the only priority is a young U-21 RB to come through after TAA.
    In 2-3-4 years time... maybe

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    About the time Clyne's contract runs down. I feel very safe in our RB options. I think it is the only place on the pitch we don't have to worry about at all. Not as a starter, nor as youth/depth/backup.

BTW - I feel full back has been one of our weakest positions for years. When was the last time we had a really top rate full back; someone at legend status or approaching it?

Stevie Nicol?

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    He's fine. Maybe flatters to deceive a bit at times and you kind of 'think' he's better than he is.
    I think he's becoming a bit of a problem, to be honest. Wasn't too fond of him when we were signing him, but he was decent for a while. Nothing spectacular, but 'solid'. Now though, I don't think he's anything special defensively and going forward, he's pretty horrible. Looks a deer caught in the headlights when he receives the ball and just gets rid of it again ASAP. I'd like to see TAA get a run in the team at some point soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed View Post
    BTW - I feel full back has been one of our weakest positions for years. When was the last time we had a really top rate full back; someone at legend status or approaching it?

Stevie Nicol?
    Steve Finnan was quality. Arbeloa, too. Maybe not 'legend status' but two top players.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Steve Finnan was quality. Arbeloa, too. Maybe not 'legend status' but two top players.
    But over the last 15 years:

At CB we've had Carra, Hyppia, in midfield Masch, Gerrard, Alonso Up front, Owen, Torres, Suarez - nobody comes close to any of those at FB.

At CB we've had Carra, Hyppia, in midfield Masch, Gerrard, Alonso Up front, Owen, Torres, Suarez - nobody comes close to any of those at FB.
    Not very often you get superstar fullbacks, to be fair. Both players I mentioned were vital to our teams though, in my opinion.

Apart from a rare few, has any team?

Quote Originally Posted by S_7 View Post
    Apart from a rare few, has any team?
    Juventus, Monaco, Napoli, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, PSG, Dortmund, Bayern, Spurs and even ****** Southampton

Just to name a few clubs that have good (some world class) Full backs/wing backs. People don't seem to realise that its our style of play that dictates that we must have good attacking full backs. Milner and Clyne see the ball more than most other players on the pitch. They mostly see the ball in the oposition half too. If we played like United then fine all we would need are good defensive full backs... but we don't.

Cant believe some people (not you S_7) acting like Clyne is good enough especially considering how much of the ball he sees in our attacks.

[QUOTE=victheman;12564496]Juventus, Monaco, Napoli, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, PSG, Dortmund, Bayern, Spurs and even ****** Southampton

Just to name a few clubs that have good (some world class) Full backs/wing backs. People don't seem to realise that its our style of play that dictates that we must have good attacking full backs. Milner and Clyne see the ball more than most other players on the pitch. They mostly see the ball in the oposition half too. If we played like United then fine all we would need are good defensive full backs... but we don't.

Cant believe some people (not you S_7) acting like Clyne is good enough especially considering how much of the ball he sees in our attacks.[/QUOTE]

This is it though. This is what scares most people I feel. We generally dominate games (in a very disciplined way), but struggle to create. Clynes very good defensively 'on the run'. He suits our setup (imo).

If we replace him...

Will the new guy cover Mane with good defensive understanding and pace?
    Will he be on the pitch 50 games a year like Clyne??
    Will integrating the new guy take time?
    Will he have prem experience? (I think its important as Clynes one of our longer-serving defenders I think! Already!)
    Is the new guy really worth the money he'd cost, considering we're getting in a lb, and Milly and Trent are both good cover? Millys almost the complete opposite of Clyne in that hes got a dangerous delivery, but hes poor defending 'on the run' (imo).

Who would you even get?? In the whole of world football atm, I can only think of Bellerin who Id expect to come in and improve Clyne. I dont even think it would be by much.

liverpool19734 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Not very often you get superstar fullbacks, to be fair. Both players I mentioned were vital to our teams though, in my opinion.
    Very true, this is because the best defenders will likely be centre halves and those really good going forward will be wingers. This is why there are so few superstar fullbacks.

Is Flanagan close to being an option over Clyne, or have his knee injuries robbed him of a career here?

Didn't really follow his progress at Burnley.

liverpool19734 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    Is Flanagan close to being an option over Clyne, or have his knee injuries robbed him of a career here?

Didn't really follow his progress at Burnley.
    He is done here sadly, just not good enough anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    749 minutes for Burnley. A lost season. Surgery has advanced to the point that you can get back playing quicker, and after the worst of injuries, but it rarely gets you all the way back. Ditto for Ings I feel.

Clyne is a 6/10 full back, ok while other needs are addressed but another who'd probably be a good squad option rather than a nailed down starter.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpool19734 View Post
    That waterlogged raft departed some time ago, another of those so many on here willed to do well here and had the false come empty hope a loan would achieve that will.
    People will believe what they want to believe

I hope this is all just rumour and conjecture , Clyne has been one of the best performers over the whole season , I appreciate he can be lax at times , but most certainly should NOT be allowed to leave , OK, we can supplement backup for the position but do not replace him , he still has plenty left in him

I think we will be seeing TAA getting a lot more games next season and eventually taking Clyne's place, he is that good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by victheman View Post
    Juventus, Monaco, Napoli, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, PSG, Dortmund, Bayern, Spurs and even ****** Southampton

Cant believe some people (not you S_7) acting like Clyne is good enough especially considering how much of the ball he sees in our attacks.
    I agree mate but the point I replied to was about "legend" status full backs. Someone pointed out that we have had good full backs at times but hardly any full backs reach legend status. It's just a position where it's hard to become a legend like Cafu, Carlos etc.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    I think we will be seeing TAA getting a lot more games next season and eventually taking Clyne's place, he is that good IMO.
    Going forward, not so good defensively. That will improve I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    Him and Sessegnon (if we can land him) have an actual chance of starting the season after the one coming as first choice full-backs. Machines.

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    Going forward, not so good defensively. That will improve I'm sure.
    Agreed.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWant19 View Post
    Him and Sessegnon (if we can land him) have an actual chance of starting the season after the one coming as first choice full-backs. Machines.
    They'd probably set us up full back wise for the foreseeable future

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    They'd probably set us up full back wise for the foreseeable future
    Perhaps.

But then again, Ilori and Sakho were supposedly securing the future of the club at centre back a few years ago. LFC can be a cruel place.

I want new fullbacks more than any anything else for next season. I want them to be able to defend and attack, and to have pace and good technical skills.

Clyne, as a player, is a wuss. He's basic.