Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathaniel Clyne

1. #1 Default Nathaniel Clyne 
    fowlers2atgrayskull is offline Academy prospect
    Rumours circulating that Clyne will be sold this summer.

Thoughts on this if true ?

Is it because he offers so little going forward ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I'm in-clyned to think we can do better, might even be some who think TAA can fill in more than adequately if not do better than him.

Depends what offers we might get, otherwise I think there's no point selling. He played pretty much every league game I think, possibly missed one maybe two IIRC. Could of course blunder down the same lines we did in 08/09 in thinking we could do better with a more attacking full-back and that was a part of why we went from 2nd to 7th.
    People will believe what they want to believe

I'd keep him and declyne any offers

I think Clyne has been analysed to the full extent here by both the Fifa 17 Gold card owners and those that watch the lad.

He has rarely been found out of place ( at the back) however he has an issue with his end product / final pass - does he have the ability to get it right over preseason and is he worth a gamble - i think so.

I think our efforts should be spent elsewhere as we have sufficient coverage in that area. There are other priorities and the only way we can improve on Clyne is by getting a 30 -40 million upgrade which could be better spent elsewhere
    The voices that speak to me are red...

His offensive contribution is pretty limited. He does always show as an outlet and counter attacker but his final ball is not great at the moment. if he can fix this then he'll be great if not he's a backup for a better fullback

I'd applaud a tougher, more demanding stance by the club towards all our senior first team players.

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreday View Post
    His offensive contribution is pretty limited. He does always show as an outlet and counter attacker but his final ball is not great at the moment. if he can fix this then he'll be great if not he's a backup for a better fullback
    He's too polite?

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    New LB and Sessegnon for LB, Milner and Arnold for RB.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    New LB and Sessegnon for LB, Milner and Arnold for RB.
    You would pick Arnold over Clyne?

You know this "he's solid at the back" line that everyone says about Clyne, where does this stem from? Countless times I watch him just get took on or a cross just comes in which he never blocks. He's a good lad Clyne, works hard an all that, but just isn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by S_7 View Post
    You know this "he's solid at the back" line that everyone says about Clyne, where does this stem from? Countless times I watch him just get took on or a cross just comes in which he never blocks. He's a good lad Clyne, works hard an all that, but just isn't good enough.
    I agree. Clyne is one of the reasons we can't defend free kicks.

No point selling though unless we have something substantially better in the pipe

Nah, need at add before we sell current first team players, there is little room for selling those in reality

Also what rumours, any actual links?

Clyne is very quick, strong, exceptional one v one which are significant plus points when you're covering an advanced Mane.

Places where he isn't strong is he's poor in the air, poor going forward, not a great passer and not intelligent on the pitch. He doesn't move into the correct spaces, can't involve himself in midfield and radies himself behind Mane.

It is likely we'll strengthen other areas first but he's not a top level footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    You would pick Arnold over Clyne?
    I'd have to, if Clyne is sold this summer.

Of all the positions that we need to strengthen in the summer. Is RB really one that we can afford to add to the To Do list?

I mean really? Is he that much of a problem?

Sure he doesnt offer as much going forward, but hes solid at the back, and we dont exactly have much backup apart from TAA whos very inexperienced. There's bigger fish to fry in terms of strengthening the squad.

I'd have to, if Clyne is sold this summer.
    ah I get it now

Quote Originally Posted by IFC View Post
    Of all the positions that we need to strengthen in the summer. Is RB really one that we can afford to add to the To Do list?

Sure he doesnt offer as much going forward, but hes solid at the back, and we dont exactly have much backup apart from TAA whos very inexperienced. There's bigger fish to fry in terms of strengthening the squad.
    This.

ah I get it now
    Sort of logic, isn't it?

Made a thread about this not too long ago. I would do one of two.

keep him and start the season with Trent, as be clearly has far more creativity, vision and technical ability than Clyne.

Or

Buy a new RB, sell Clyne and have Trent as back up.

Sort of logic, isn't it?
    I didn't think you were going by the premise Clyne's been sold but something you would choose to do.

Quote Originally Posted by IFC View Post

There is "bigger fish" to fry but big clubs fry their fish. All of them.

Clyne has especially been a problem in the bottom half team games we've struggled with. Hes see's way too much of the ball and yet only passes backwards. Hasn't got a creative bone in his body.
    Last edited by victheman; 26-5-17 at 21:37. Reason: Spelling

I didn't think you were going by the premise Clyne's been sold but something you would choose to do.
    That's what the thread is all about. But I'd probably choose it anyway. Milner has played well at LB, but doesn't give us the required width and depth up front, because of him being right footed. I think he'd do even better on the right, if Klopp would choose to play him there. Milner and Arnold, with Gomez as injury cover would be alright with me for the RB position. A new senior LB and Sessegnon, with Milner as injury cover would be equally as adequate to cope with the demand at LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach791 View Post
    Clyne is very quick, strong, exceptional one v one which are significant plus points when you're covering an advanced Mane.

Places where he isn't strong is he's poor in the air, poor going forward, not a great passer and not intelligent on the pitch. He doesn't move into the correct spaces, can't involve himself in midfield and radies himself behind Mane.

It is likely we'll strengthen other areas first but he's not a top level footballer.
    I disagree that he's good one v one. From the last couple of games I remember him getting beat a few times in the palace, Watford and Boro games. I'd accept his lack of attacking ability if he was good defensively, but he isn't that good.

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    He's kind of been a bit 'meh' all season

lfcstlouis is offline Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    He's going no where. Nor should he. He is solid at RB. My god, wtf are people thinking? He's top 5 RB in the league.

Gets a lot of unwarranted stick in my opinion. His crossing and offensive contribution are poor but he's very rarely skinned and his overall defensive ability is very good. He is far from our biggest issue defensively. He has pace, strength, work ethic and rarely misses a game. More generally speaking, we need to stock up on full backs not sell the decent ones

MishMasch is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    Gets a lot of unwarranted stick in my opinion. His crossing and offensive contribution are poor but he's very rarely skinned and his overall defensive ability is very good. He is far from our biggest issue defensively. He has pace, strength, work ethic and rarely misses a game. More generally speaking, we need to stock up on full backs not sell the decent ones
    He's fine. Maybe flatters to deceive a bit at times and you kind of 'think' he's better than he is.

Solid, but unspectacular. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but doesn't also make a lot of great plays offensively or defensively.

I'd keep, because we are so bereft of full backs. Definitely need one or two more coming in.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    But that's what he gets most of the stick for.